Photo
- - - - -

Ara Gevorgian's Adana In English, Finnish, German, Etc.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,001 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:25 AM

http://forum.hayasta...php/t18472.html

http://www.aragevorgian.com/adana.htm

#2 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE(gamavor @ Feb 6 2006, 05:25 PM) View Post

Attaboy Gams!!
Apris!!
This is the kind of friends we need, the orthodox Christian community as opposed to the likes of Armageddon/Schmarmageddon Pat Robertson types.
Daniel Decker was here looking for support, with little success, I may add. Sad!!
For too long we have been looking for support in all the wrong places, like those seemingly with similar fate, we with our Genocide and they with their Holocaust/Schmolocaust, Pleading similarity in destiny while all along they, suddenly discovered hat they have much more in common with Ataturk.
Daniel Decker should be honored with the Mashtots Medal.

#3 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,001 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:49 PM

It happened to know personally Tsvetan Tsvetkov. An Armenophill like this you would hardly find among Armenians themselves. Tsetzo has an amaizing voice. I've listened to him many times and every time I wonder how he is not where he is suppose to be in terms of fame. But he will get there eventually! smile.gif

#4 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE(gamavor @ Feb 6 2006, 06:49 PM) View Post
It happened to know personally Tsvetan Tsvetkov. An Armenophill like this you would hardly find among Armenians themselves. Tsetzo has an amaizing voice. I've listened to him many times and every time I wonder how he is not where he is suppose to be in terms of fame. But he will get there eventually! smile.gif

is it maybe because turkoarabic influanced pop culture is dominating in bulgaria much worse than in armenia?

#5 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,001 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:45 AM

QUOTE(Harut @ Feb 7 2006, 03:27 AM) View Post
is it maybe because turkoarabic influanced pop culture is dominating in bulgaria much worse than in armenia?

True! smile.gif

#6 Daniel Decker

Daniel Decker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Feb 6 2006, 07:45 PM) View Post
Attaboy Gams!!
Apris!!
This is the kind of friends we need, the orthodox Christian community as opposed to the likes of Armageddon/Schmarmageddon Pat Robertson types.
Daniel Decker was here looking for support, with little success, I may add. Sad!!
For too long we have been looking for support in all the wrong places, like those seemingly with similar fate, we with our Genocide and they with their Holocaust/Schmolocaust, Pleading similarity in destiny while all along they, suddenly discovered hat they have much more in common with Ataturk.
Daniel Decker should be honored with the Mashtots Medal.

Hello everyone. Daniel Decker here. I want to thank you for your kind words of support. I was doing a search online and discovered this forum by chance.

Though I am an American, I feel very strongly about this issue and hold on to the belief that the Genocide WILL be recognized. Though it may not happen as soon as we would like, I believe the truth will eventually prevail. I wrote the words to Adana, not only to support the Armenian cause, but also to remind Armenians that they are not alone. There are others who will stand with them.

One of the most suprising things to me is how few people outside the Armenian community have even heard of the Genocide. I have done numerous interviews on television, radio etc, and even many in the press know very little about it. I hope this song will spread the message and tell the story so it will NEVER happen again.

"Adana" is a song that has become an important part of my concerts and has given me the opportunity to tell the story of the Genocide to countless others. I think the bottom line is this: The more people who know the truth, the sooner we can achieve the official recognition and resolution it deserves. I intend to keep singing about it, as well as keep talking about it.

Thanks again for your support,
Daniel Decker

#7 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 16 February 2006 - 01:49 PM

welcome to Hyeforum Daniel and,
Thank you very much for your contribution
it is a plassure.

#8 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,503 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE(Daniel Decker @ Feb 16 2006, 02:24 PM) View Post
Hello everyone. Daniel Decker here. I want to thank you for your kind words of support. I was doing a search online and discovered this forum by chance.

Though I am an American, I feel very strongly about this issue and hold on to the belief that the Genocide WILL be recognized. Though it may not happen as soon as we would like, I believe the truth will eventually prevail. I wrote the words to Adana, not only to support the Armenian cause, but also to remind Armenians that they are not alone. There are others who will stand with them.

One of the most suprising things to me is how few people outside the Armenian community have even heard of the Genocide. I have done numerous interviews on television, radio etc, and even many in the press know very little about it. I hope this song will spread the message and tell the story so it will NEVER happen again.

"Adana" is a song that has become an important part of my concerts and has given me the opportunity to tell the story of the Genocide to countless others. I think the bottom line is this: The more people who know the truth, the sooner we can achieve the official recognition and resolution it deserves. I intend to keep singing about it, as well as keep talking about it.

Daniel Decker

Hi, Daniel
There are strong forces out there beside Turkey, that likes to keep people ignorant about the Genocide. Also special interests as well. But Internet is helping the info to spread hopefully full recognition will happen in time.

#9 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE(Daniel Decker @ Feb 16 2006, 07:24 PM) View Post
=====
Daniel Decker

Welcome back Dan, bari galust!
When I say “back”, you may have forgotten, you have been here before.
Look here on page 5.
http://hyeforum.com/...showtopic=10619
In the meantime, let us get acquainted.
http://www.danieldecker.com/

#10 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,001 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:21 PM

Hey Daniel, welcome to HF! Thank you for what you are doing and welcome aboard!

BTW, how did you meet Tsvetan Tsvetkov? It would be interesting to know how you get acquainted with the rest of the singers of Adana song.
smile.gif

Edited by gamavor, 16 February 2006 - 11:27 PM.

#11 Daniel Decker

Daniel Decker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:14 AM

QUOTE(gamavor @ Feb 17 2006, 12:21 AM) View Post
Hey Daniel, welcome to HF! Thank you for what you are doing and welcome aboard!

BTW, how did you meet Tsvetan Tsvetkov? It would be interesting to know how you get acquainted with the rest of the singers of Adana song.
smile.gif

We issued an appeal for singers around the world that would be interested in supporting this cause. Tsvetan was one of the first to respond. It was a great joy to work with him. Tsvetan is a superb artist and a fantastic person. We do try to keep in touch with each other, although the distance and language barrers make it a challenge. I consider him a great friend and hope we will have the opportunity to work together again.

#12 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:13 AM

Congratulations and gratitutes to you Dan.
We understand that you will be appearing in a benefit concert at the Arm. Presbytreian Church in Paramus, NJ on Sunday March 12.

#13 Daniel Decker

Daniel Decker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Feb 19 2006, 08:13 AM) View Post
Congratulations and gratitutes to you Dan.
We understand that you will be appearing in a benefit concert at the Arm. Presbytreian Church in Paramus, NJ on Sunday March 12.

Yes, that is correct. It is a benefit for children in Vanadzor, Armenia.

BTW, how did you hear about the concert?

Also, I just completed a humanitarian aid project for children in Ujan, Armenia. Several hundred kits full of school supplies were sent and distributed to all of the students at the school just a few days ago.

#14 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE(Daniel Decker @ Feb 19 2006, 08:34 AM) View Post
Yes, that is correct. It is a benefit for children in Vanadzor, Armenia.

BTW, how did you hear about the concert?

Also, I just completed a humanitarian aid project for children in Ujan, Armenia. Several hundred kits full of school supplies were sent and distributed to all of the students at the school just a few days ago.

Mr. Decker; I congratulate you and your efforts and I thank you!!! Welcome or welcome back both!

I happen to live in New Jersey and you can be sure I'll be there at your concert on March 12th. I'll come and introduce myself and thanks again. smile.gif

Anahid

#15 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:19 PM

Daniel: I would like to give some extra contribution from me for the benefit of the Children of Armenia that is why also for wanting to come forth and introduce myself. These are for our children, right? smile.gif

Anahid

Edited by Anahid Takouhi, 19 February 2006 - 12:21 PM.

#16 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 01:03 PM

Hi again Dan.
Your rendition of Adana is both heartrending as well as uplifting, in the sense that we have such “What a Friend we have in Jesus”. I’m sure you know that hymn.
Your introduction to Armenian music may have been a spiritual blessing for both you and us, yet we would be amiss to not discover, among many others the below Komitas, our National Saint and “martyr” .
Please, listen to, beside his delightful folk and dance music, his spiritual music, but above all, in the line of Adana, listen to Antuni-Homeless and Dle Yaman-(my)Aching Heart.
Also note that some of recordings are his very own voice and others by Armenk Shahmuradian, his and Caruso’s contemporary, the premiere interpreter of his music.

http://www.komitas.a.../list_works.htm

Lots of luck to you.
Sadly enough I cannot find the score to Antuni, on the net but words (in transliteration as well) and translation is forthcoming.
The above and many more are available in CDs.
Also, not to foirget to click on Biography etc. to know who and what Komitas was.

#17 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 02:43 PM

Dear Dan, please be my guest to apply your poetic and lyrical pen to the below.

ԱՆՏՈՒՆԻ

Սիրտըս նման է էն փըլած տներ,-
Կոտրեր գէրաններ, խախտեր է սըներ,
Բուն պիտի դնեն մէջ վայրի հաւքեր,
Երթամ` ձի թալեմ էն ելման գետեր,
Ըլնիմ ձկներու ձագերանցըն կեր:

Ա~,յ տո լաճ տընաւեր:

Սեւ ծովն եմ տեսէ, սպիտակն էր բոլոր,
Ալին կը զարնէր, չէր խառնի հիրոր,
Էն որն է տեսէ մէկ ծովն երկթաւոր,-?
Անտունի սիրտն է պղտոր ու մոլոր,
Ախ իսկի մի լնիք սըրտիք սեւավոր:

Ա~յ, տո լաճ տընաւեր:

Antuni-Homelass

Sirt@s nman e en plats t@ner.-
Kotrer geranner,khakhter sner,
Boun piti dnen mej vayri havqer,
Ertham dzi thalem en elman geter,
@lnim zknerou dzakeran ker.

Ay, to laj tnaver.

Sev dzovn e tese, spitak er bolor,
Alin k@ zarner, cher kharni hiror,
En orn tese mek dzovn erkthavor?
Antuni sirtn e pghtor ou molor,
Akh, iski mi lniq srtiq sevavor!

Ay, to laj tnaver!!

Antuni-Homeless

My heart is like those ruined homes,
Broken logs and collapsed columns,
Where wild birds are building their nests.
Let me throw me in those swollen rivers,
As if food and bait to baby fishes.

Ah, homeless you lad!

The Black Sea has turned white all over,
Striking its waves, yet never mixing,
Who, pray tell, seen such sea-bicolor?
The homeless’ heart, muddied and wayward.
Ah! Don’t ever be so black hearted.

Ah, homeless you lad!

We may note that I have translated “laj” as lad, as in “lakot” that we usually use to describe puppies and at times as male offspring of “you know who”.

Edited by Arpa, 19 February 2006 - 03:41 PM.

#18 Daniel Decker

Daniel Decker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE(Anahid Takouhi @ Feb 19 2006, 01:19 PM) View Post
Daniel: I would like to give some extra contribution from me for the benefit of the Children of Armenia that is why also for wanting to come forth and introduce myself. These are for our children, right? smile.gif
Anahid

Yes, Anahid. Proceeds from this concert will benefit Armenian children in Vanadzor, Armenia

It will be pleasure to meet you at the concert.

Daniel

#19 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE(Daniel Decker @ Feb 19 2006, 04:18 PM) View Post
Yes, Anahid. Proceeds from this concert will benefit Armenian children in Vanadzor, Armenia

It will be pleasure to meet you at the concert.

Daniel

Thank you Daniel. smile.gif

#20 Daniel Decker

Daniel Decker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Feb 19 2006, 03:43 PM) View Post
Dear Dan, please be my guest to apply your poetic and lyrical pen to the below.

ԱՆՏՈՒՆԻ

Սիրտըս նման է էն փըլած տներ,-
Կոտրեր գէրաններ, խախտեր է սըներ,
Բուն պիտի դնեն մէջ վայրի հաւքեր,
Երթամ` ձի թալեմ էն ելման գետեր,
Ըլնիմ ձկներու ձագերանցըն կեր:

Ա~,յ տո լաճ տընաւեր:

Սեւ ծովն եմ տեսէ, սպիտակն էր բոլոր,
Ալին կը զարնէր, չէր խառնի հիրոր,
Էն որն է տեսէ մէկ ծովն երկթաւոր,-?
Անտունի սիրտն է պղտոր ու մոլոր,
Ախ իսկի մի լնիք սըրտիք սեւավոր:

Ա~յ, տո լաճ տընաւեր:

Antuni-Homelass

Sirt@s nman e en plats t@ner.-
Kotrer geranner,khakhter sner,
Boun piti dnen mej vayri havqer,
Ertham dzi thalem en elman geter,
@lnim zknerou dzakeran ker.

Ay, to laj tnaver.

Sev dzovn e tese, spitak er bolor,
Alin k@ zarner, cher kharni hiror,
En orn tese mek dzovn erkthavor?
Antuni sirtn e pghtor ou molor,
Akh, iski mi lniq srtiq sevavor!

Ay, to laj tnaver!!

Antuni-Homeless

My heart is like those ruined homes,
Broken logs and collapsed columns,
Where wild birds are building their nests.
Let me throw me in those swollen rivers,
As if food and bait to baby fishes.

Ah, homeless you lad!

The Black Sea has turned white all over,
Striking its waves, yet never mixing,
Who, pray tell, seen such sea-bicolor?
The homeless’ heart, muddied and wayward.
Ah! Don’t ever be so black hearted.

Ah, homeless you lad!

We may note that I have translated “laj” as lad, as in “lakot” that we usually use to describe puppies and at times as male offspring of “you know who”.

Thank you once again for your kind words and for all of the information and the lyrics. I have a rapidly growing collection of Armenian music, including a few selections of Komitas. "Dle Yaman" is among my favorites. I am definitely interested in exploring Armenian music further, as well as composing and recording Armenian music. There is such depth and beauty in Armenian music that the western world needs to hear. I hope "Adana" and "Noah's Prayer" are only the beginning of my exploration of Armenian music.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users