• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 shiner

shiner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 15 March 2001 - 02:26 PM

In most cases, unless you live in a place heavily populated by Armenians, you will have to desire and make somewhat of an effort to marry an Armenian (it is not likely to happen by pure coincidence). The desire to specifically marry an Armenian, in most cases, is driven by love of Armenian culture, thinking that a similar cultural background will improve chances of getting along and understanding each other, a sense of belonging to the Armenian ethnicity, etc. (even though marrying an Armenian is not a necessary requirement to any of the things mentioned above). It is true that the more isolated you are from your own heritage and the less you are aware of it, the lesser are the chances of having the desire to specifically marrying an Armenian.

It is also true that there are many stereotypes and obstacles. That is natural. Fortunately when getting married you only have to find one person. So even if you are surrounded by negatively stereotypical Armenians, all you need is to find one that is not like that, and fits your requirements. If you are a classy person,for example, a classy odar is more likely to fit your needs than an extremely low class Armenian. But the comparison should be made between a classy Armenian and a classy odar. Even if you feel it is better to marry an Armenian, there must be other things you have in common than just that.

In the end it all depends on the individual.
That's just my opinion, but I think the article is trying to say the same thing (to a certain extent)unless I misinterpreted.

#22 Gayane

Gayane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 March 2001 - 04:05 PM

I found it amusing how the entire discussion on Hokis drifted to the "overprotective dad" song...

Now, let me say that I think that Hokis as an artistic endeavor is worthless. If you don't believe me, I'll refer you to my original reaction to Hokis a few months back

That said, all this nationalistic fuss over the song makes me smile. I think the song correctly pinpoints the armenian fathers' collective state of denial about their daughters' sexuality. What exactly is making you all so upset? Is it the utter and complete disrespect the guys in the song have towards the girls in the song? Or is it the overt sexuality of the girls? Well, welcome to the real world, boys and girls.

This song is a perfect example of the effects of the repression of a woman's sexuality in our culture. Think about it. If the culture was a little more permissive of this, the girls wouldn't have to hide anything from their parents. And if the culture was a little more permissive, the guys would know they can't treat a woman like that, because then she'll have some sort of means of retaliation to being seen as a sexual object. Why do we react to this song in such a manner? I will be the first to say it's horrendous, but it's to a large extent nothing less than the truth. We need to get upset not over the fact that this is presented to us in such a distatesful manner by such low class people, but rather because it's our culture that gives rise to situations depicted in this song. Believe me, it's not Hokis' fault. It's only "art" imitating life.

#23 dragon

dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 15 March 2001 - 04:38 PM

Teyev veru nshvadz yerku lselou aritu chounetsa dagavin, payts HOKIS-in arachatradz hartseru haygagan gyankin ungerayin yeresu gu nergayatsne ir unthanroutian mech. Mishd harkelov patsaroutiunneru bedk e usel, vor haygagan-azkayin gyanku arten shadonts gorsuntsoutsadz e ir hmayku` arjanabadvoutian, badivi, partsr idealnerou, IRAGAN ARACHNORTNEROU patsagaypoutian badjarov.

-Hayu aysor aveli ''charchi'' e, kan azniv vajaragan.

-Hayu aysor aveli mageresayin e, kan khorki mart.

-Hay gineru aysor aveli tetevamid en, geroukhoumov, hakousd gabousdov pavararvogh, kan irents undanikin ou zavagneroun hokevor arjeknerou ajoumov.

-Hay dghamartig aysor aveli yesagetron ou ampardavan en, kan nvirvadz irents undanikin ou azkin. Isg yete kani mu ghroush al tram ounin, ouremn` Asdvadz okne irents tserku ingoghin...

-Hay harousdu aysor aveli paraser e, kan iragan parerar. Portsetsek vorpi mu, gam ousanoghi mu hamar oknoutiun khuntrel ou bidi desnek, te vorkan arkahadagan bidi ulla irents badaskhanu. Payts yete arachargek BADVO HIUR gam ORVAN NAKHAKAH ullal tsernargi mu gam barahantesi mu, anonk sirov bidi untounin` mughvadz irents parasiroutenen (teyev yerpemun al chvjarelov irents khosdatsadz koumaru, gam al payment-i veradzelov zayn...)

- Hay ggheraganu aysor aveli MEDZAPERAN e, kan iragan voghormadz ou oknoutian poutatsogh. Daregan yergou merelotsnerou dzkhader kahanan gaytsele ir hodu...miayn tram havakelou nbadagov. ''Hayr Mer'' mu agraneroun mechen (achgu chors goghm tartsunelov...) aba anmichabes usdatsakiri dedrag!

Ays poloru mas gu gazmen aysorvan hay-anmshagout mshagouytin! Ungerayin tsaver ou parker miajamanag, voronts harazad dznountneren megn al HOKISn e anbayman...

Yereg Paul Baghdadliann ou Pierre Shammasiann eyin, Garo, Maro, Noushig ou Ara Kekejian, aysor HOKISn e ou Aram Asadrian, Tata ou kich mun al Noune, voronk shoudov gu tarnan mer mshagoutayin arjekneru, kani vor noreru bidi kan, ayt al aveli anmagartag...

Tujpakhdapar, jamanagu bidi usdibe mez untounil anuntounelin, minchev ayn aden vor Mer Joghovourtu chi partsranar hay hokevor irav arjekneru knahadelou magartagin. Hos yevus knnatadoutian slaku gerta mer azkayin GHEGAVAROUTIAN...vor medz patsaga mun e sagayn...

OV E IRAV GHEGAVARU??? Hartsoumu arten gu bardatre inkzink.

#24 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 15 March 2001 - 07:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Gayane:
What exactly is making you all so upset? Is it the utter and complete disrespect the guys in the song have towards the girls in the song?

Yes.

quote:
Or is it the overt sexuality of the girls?

No.

quote:
This song is a perfect example of the effects of the repression of a woman's sexuality in our culture.

quote:
Why do we react to this song in such a manner?

Lack of taste.

quote:
I will be the first to say it's horrendous, but it's to a large extent nothing less than the truth. We need to get upset not over the fact that this is presented to us in such a distatesful manner by such low class people, but rather because it's our culture that gives rise to situations depicted in this song.

Why is it horrendous Gayane? After all it is the truth according to you. And we should "not get upset over the fact that this is presented to us in such a distatesful manner by such low class people" ? Then why is it so horendous?

I reserve the right to get upset over the fact that "our culture ... gives rise to situations depicted in this song." I also reserve the right to get upset when the depiction is done in LOW CLASS. Thank you

#25 Gayane

Gayane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 March 2001 - 07:44 PM

I meant it's horrendous BECAUSE it's the truth! That's what gets to me personally. Not the song itself, but the reality behind it. What I'm always trying to say and what I'm saying in this case in particular is let's look at our culture and the social forces that allow for this kind of depiction (of the truth), and focus our dissatisfaction and energy on changing the culture.

Getting upset over the song does nothing; pushing for change, even if it's one step at a time, does a lot. That's all I'm saying.

And you're welcome...

#26 Pilafhead

Pilafhead

Music Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Music, Family, Music, Food, Music, Beer, Music

Posted 15 March 2001 - 08:45 PM

quote:
Now, let me say that I think that Hokis as an artistic endeavor is worthless.

How can you not like Karune, Dariner Antsni, or Bare Aghjig???

Karune: a good attempt at modernizing an old song. You have to at least give them credit for trying on this one.

Dariner Antsni: This is a good "slow jam" kind of song. I think this one is great.

Bare Aghjig: The way they put the modern beat behind traditional instruments is great! A whole album that sounded like this song would never leave my CD player.

Some of the songs on the CD are lame, but these three are good stuff. Something new in the very, very stale world of Armenian pop music.

Mike
Patron Of All Tastes: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

#27 art

art

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 March 2001 - 10:02 PM

Overprotective dad is just grotesque (new word ) The first time I heard that song I felt disgust toward Armenian girls. Most of the time I think of our beautiful girls as pure in all manners. This song could depict some girls but not all. Nice reply Sulamita jan.

#28 Artur

Artur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 March 2001 - 04:41 AM

Check this, i almost fell down from my chair laphing:
http://hokis.co.uk/M...os02Germany.mpg

Look at these two punks from Germany :: ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

[ March 16, 2001: Message edited by: Aghmug ]

#29 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 17 March 2001 - 12:33 AM

Gayane,

There is a proper way of doing something and there is an improper way of doing it. Even IF they are trying to address the "repression of a woman's sexuality in our culture" issue they are doing it in a filthy way. This song is NOT going to liberate any minds ... it's only going to give birth to more songs that show disrespect towards females (and their fathers).

Just my opinion.

#30 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Chatting, Getting to know people, studying reading playing/listening to all types of music, relaxing, generally having a great time and enjoying life!!!

Posted 16 March 2001 - 01:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Artur:
Check this, i almost fell down from my chair laphing:
http://hokis.co.uk/M...os02Germany.mpg

Look at these two punks from Germany :: ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

[ March 16, 2001: Message edited by: Aghmug ]

I KNOW::::: ))))))))))))) I SAW!::: ))))

Why did you edit the post Pilafhead? Go on, what did he say?

#31 Gayane

Gayane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 March 2001 - 04:37 PM

Aneta, I completely agree that they're "addressing the issue" in a filthy, low class, tasteless manner. FYI, I don't think this song is going to "liberate any minds". When I say anything on this issue, please don't misunderstand it as a defense of Hokis in any way, shape, or form. What I AM defending is the necessity of bringing these kinds of issues to the forefront of our consciousness. The WAY in which it's done, in this case, I have no control over and will never defend.

I hope this explains my position a little better.

Mikey, call me old fashioned, but I believe an entertainer has to have a certain level of class. Every punk can get up on stage and "perform"; doesn't mean they're capable of PERFORMING. I saw Hokis live; they can't behave properly, NOR can they sing. That automatically renders their "music" worthless to me. You know it'd be fine if they chose to play a ROLE on stage or when singing, but in this case it's not a role they're playing, it's them (think Madonna; I don't care how many times she strips on video, I can actually sit down and watch one of her interviews without wincing; very intelligent woman; and that's what's carried her through all these years. Let's see where Hokis will be in 20 years)

#32 Pilafhead

Pilafhead

Music Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Music, Family, Music, Food, Music, Beer, Music

Posted 16 March 2001 - 05:14 PM

quote:
I saw Hokis live; they can't behave properly, NOR can they sing. That automatically renders their "music" worthless to me.

I'll give you part of that. I saw their song from the AMA and thought they sounded terrible. So I didn't go to any of their shows.

I like the music though, forget the mouths in the front. Except for Dariner Antsni, I would like the songs just as much (maybe more!) if they were instrumentals.

#33 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 17 March 2001 - 09:01 PM

quote:
I hope this explains my position a little better.

It does

#34 Artur

Artur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 March 2001 - 07:35 AM

Who are the Hokis singers?

They are no professionals. There is an armenian discoteque in London. The founders of this disco decided to make a CD by english "armenians". And they asked the visitors if anybody can sing. So theys found couple of volontieers, and thats how the CD was released.

Artur

#35 Gayane

Gayane

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 March 2001 - 05:00 PM

Although one of those guys (don't know his name, the baby faced one) is kinda cute He has better manners than all the rest of them combined anyhow...lol

#36 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Chatting, Getting to know people, studying reading playing/listening to all types of music, relaxing, generally having a great time and enjoying life!!!

Posted 18 March 2001 - 05:19 PM

Is the "comedian" type one on the front of the webpage? And what is the other one doing climbing though someone's window? Cant figure that one out. I hope it's not some thing naughty becuase that creates a bad impression of armenians on the audience, many of which it's their FIRST impressions of armenians..

Arturm your anaylsis is right.. But like I say, there is nothing wrogn with STARTS.

I thin the reson they are allowed to tour over the world as amateurs is becuase this is the first British-diaspora thing from young people. Whether it's just any old thing or not, well that's a different story.

#37 Anna

Anna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 April 2001 - 07:13 PM

The song is so funny.
The group sucks! Rap in Armenian sounds so bad. The guys can hardly sing. There is no music in the song. I don't really have a problem with the lyrics of "overprotective dad" because that's the reality & that's the way it is today for american, black, french or armenian. The times have changed. The group sucks big time. I didn't really understand every single word they were saying because i have a difficulty understanding western Armenian, but still they got no class.

#38 armeniangirl83

armeniangirl83

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 April 2001 - 04:02 PM

i want also give mine opinion about overprotective dad. who can translate thit:??? It's the song from hokis

Overprotective Dad

Hye baba-ne roun betge sud khosink,
Ouzenk ne dughayi hed bargink

As badmoutiunuh hajis luseh,
Tcheneh akhtchigit babat kezi guh dzedzeh,
Aghtchig ounisneh lav vorosheh,
Iren tubnasneh ir baban tchi luseh.
Dasnuvets daregan, gam kusan-tchors,
Babayin hartsunesneh inkuh guseh votch.
Mintchev amousnanas, tches grnar tubnas,
Yev tchuh lusem vor toun ounetsar tats yeraz.
Intch vor tchen desnar, tchen kider,
Anor hamar menk gertank Hay barer,
Anank degher gunenk aghdod paner,
Aghtchig dapadis metchuh ounim nuver.
As shounuh gouzeh kunal gadou
Yegour im senyagus mintchev ardour,
Khmitchk guh khumenk yev khod guh dzukhenk,
Yev intch vor ouzesneh miasin gunenk.

Chorus x 2
Amen babaneruh vor guh gardzen
Vor irents aghthigneruh makour en
Tchen havadar yes intch gusem
Hramoutiunut bedk tchounim vor aghtchigut arnem

Aghtchigner gan vor guh siren unel,
Eh aveli aghtchig gah vor tchen sirer,
Gou zesneh iren tours danis,
Aratch bedkeh iren babayin heduh khosis.
Bedkeh nsdis ir heduh, sourj khumes
Yev amen ir hartsoumneruh bedkeh badaskhanes.
Mintchev vor inkuh ourakh eh vor toun lav dughah es,
Lav kordz gunes yev arten toun Hay es.
Aghtchigis heduh oushatroutiun ureh,
Nayi vor inkuh pan muh tchi tzagher.
Yev khumitchk ouzeneh hajis mi tsuker,
Yev mi mornar dasen aratch doun per.
Aghtchigus shnorhkov eh batchig tchunes,
Hay baba aghtchigut haveh yev yes em aghves.
Inkuh ouzeneh intchbes bid getsunes,
Atchkerut kots aghtchig guh medztsunes.

Chorus x 2

Chess key dare inch ga nem , chess key dare our gertum

An babaneruh vor hin midk ounin
Eshi bes guh boran, intchou yes pokhvim,
Guh medztsunem aghtchigus intchbes vor ouzem
Kesh panereh abahov guh bahem.
Eh kou yedevut inkuh amen intch guneh,
Guh khumeh, guh dzukheh dughayi hed guh sireh,
Anoushig ullaneh anshoushd guh gokhem,
Anank marmin ir hakousduh guh badrem.
Meg yergou, dapadus hanem,
Louysuh marem, iren voruh zarnem.
Vertchanamneh shoud guh mornam
Gertam barahantes meg had nor kudnam.
Im gyankus asank gabrim,
Orenki hamar akhorjag tchounim,
Aratchin ankamut eh, eh mi vakhnar,
Yed bargir, vodkerut pats yev ar.

Chorus x 4

#39 dragon

dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 09 April 2001 - 07:58 AM

One word
ANMAGARTAG!

#40 Artur

Artur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 April 2001 - 09:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anna:
The song is so funny.
I don't really have a problem with the lyrics of "overprotective dad" because that's the reality & that's the way it is today for american, black, french or armenian. The times have changed.

"Reality" in your own eyes. And thing will change unless you change.

To be honest i don't really care what some punks sing, but i would love to ask a question to them, what if they would have a daughter. Will they just let their girls to be used by someone, while they are watching CNN night news.

Artur

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users