• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:20 PM

Cheap Comfort: New hostel adds budget option to tourists accommodations

By Arpi Harutyunyan
ArmeniaNow reporter
The new hostel is aimed at youth and budget tourists
Calling itself a first for Armenia the “Envoy” hostel has opened in Yerevan bringing European-style budget accommodation to the emerging tourism menu.

Based on models that have made student “back-packer” tourism affordable in Europe, the new hostel offers basic service for those who don’t mind a communal environment.

Guests will share one toilet per five people and one shower for seven. Each guest is provided a locking wardrobe.

Other essentials are a bed, breakfast, a TV room and advice about tours. The cost per night is 5,000 drams (about $11; expected to increase to $15 next year).

The hostel is centrally located in a basement and the ground floor of a 3-stored apartment bloc at the corner of Papetsi and Pushkin streets. The nine rooms are designed to accommodate 42 guests (two rooms are for 8 people; 6 for 4). One room, priced at about $45 is aimed for couples, and includes the bathroom.

“I think the hostel will serve perfectly, especially to the students who come from abroad with their friends to travel with their backpacks,” says Lusine Ghahramanyan, representative of “ArmenTour” travel agency. “Of course, they don’t need expensive hotels. While the conditions at Envoy are sufficient; the only problem is, maybe, the fact that there can be up to 8 persons accommodated in one room.”

The idea of opening a hostel belongs to Erik Carapetian, a 35-year-old Australian of Armenian descent born in Iran and permanently residing in Australia since 1986.

It’s not fancy, but it’s not expensive
“In 2003 when I came to Armenia for the first time, I saw how expensive the Armenian hotels are, while there is no alternative of relatively cheap stay,” Carapetian says. “There were no hostels that would serve as alternatives for tourists with limited financial means. So I thought to open a guest house like that in Armenia.”

Returning to Australia, Carapetian found three partners and, after seven months’ work, received the first Envoy guest in October.

“The prices and conditions in the hotels of Armenia are extreme - either very luxurious and expensive, or poor and cheap,” says coordinator at the Armenian Tourism Development Agency Lusine Stepanyan. “Consequently, tourists need also accommodation with low prices but with normal conditions. Opening such guest houses will, of course, facilitate tourism development in Armenia.”

In its first few weeks the hostel hosted about 60 tourists from 18 countries, says the Executive Director of the Envoy, Hamlet Avanesyan. Most learned of it on the Internet (www.envoyhostel.com)

#2 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:21 PM

envoy offers a wide range of facilities including:

* Personal lockers
* 24 hour reception
* Laundry facilities
* Serviced internal café
* Tea/coffee facilities
* Common room
* Safe holding at reception
* Internet access
* Airport transfer and pick up
* Car/minibus rental (with driver)
* Functions and games
* Village stays and tours

#3 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:25 PM

imkartsiqov lav gaghapar e - karj jamanakov aytseluneri hamar - shat aveli hesht e iys tesaki "hostel"ner batsel hamarya HAyastani bolor ankyunerum

chnayats arjeq@ ejan che - yete hamemates Qaraqum yerkar jamketov vardzu t@neri het - isk Hotelneri het anhamemat ejan e - hameniyn deps x@raxuseli e !!!

#4 Vanetsi

Vanetsi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 12:29 PM

Have we had hostels before?If not, this is a good step to help tourism becuase European youth love to travel and the simplicity and cheap cost of hostels are very inviting to them. Looks like we're turning into Deutschland.

#5 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 01:02 PM

i don't know

#6 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 4,916 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:51 AM

Looks like IKEA is getting popular in Yerevan smile.gif

#7 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE (gamavor @ Dec 19 2005, 10:51 AM)
Looks like IKEA is getting popular in Yerevan smile.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

The bunk beds reminds me when two summers ago my daughter and I went to this camp in Pennsylvania and they had the bunk beds set up exactly like that Gamush. biggrin.gif

Edited by Anahid Takouhi, 19 December 2005 - 10:41 AM.

#8 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE (MosJan @ Nov 4 2005, 01:21 PM)
envoy offers a wide range of facilities including:

* Personal lockers
* 24 hour reception
* Laundry facilities