Poetry Club

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2000 - 05:14 PM

Voghjuyn!!!

I have finally found the time to realise a project I have been analyzing in my mind for the past year or so. I am looking for some people to help me organize a poetry club. The goal of this little organization (nothing official - just some poetry lovers forming a pact) will be to present weekly or bi-weekly programs to the audience of Glendale and neighboring cities. The meetings will be in Glendale (the exact location is yet to be determined). The program will last from 2 to 3 hours and each meeting will have a theme (most of the time it will be a specific author). About 30 minutes of that time will be what I call "open-stage" where people will be given the chance to present their own poetry Posted Image I have spoken to a few cultural figures who are very willing to help us.

So, what is it that I need from you, forum members? I need people who are able and willing to read poetry and present them in a somewhat professional manner. If you are not interested but think you may know people who might be interested - please get the word around. My e-mail address is Sulamita777@aol.com. E-mail me if you would like to have an active or passive role in this very important project. All help is appreciated.

Just A Girl With A Dream

[This message has been edited by Sulamita (edited November 12, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Sulamita (edited November 13, 2000).]

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2000 - 09:02 AM

Aneta jan, bravo!

You can count me in. I'd love to be a part of this. I do hope, however, that you don't intend to limit the activity to Armenian poetry alone (as rich and flavorful as it is). I've long been on the lookout (never having taken active steps) for a test audience for my own "poetry". As far as organizational efforts are concerned, we could put out fliers on college campuses, from jc's to universities, contact the ASAs, etc. By the way, what's your target age group, if any?

(I'm not emailing you with the questions and instead posting them here for the following reasons: I think we are in a position to get more and better ideas if we talk about your plans on the forum--more exposure.)

(btw, your email address is interesting, given that my ucla address is gs777@ucla.edu!)

Bottom line: I'm in and I'm excited Posted Image

Again, I salute your idea Posted Image
Gayane

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2000 - 09:54 AM

Girls,

I think there is no need to start it from the scratch. To the best of my understanding, there is already such entity, a little broader, though. It is a cultural club in Glendale, who has organized few overwhelmingly successful events last year. If you are interested, I can put you in touch with some of the initiators of that club.

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2000 - 05:58 PM

Gayane jan -

Great, thanx for the support. To address your points: actually my goal is to present armenian poetry IN ARMENIAN to an audience that will be composed of mainly 18-30 year olds. Of course I do not intend to discriminate in any manner Posted Image but I would love to get the youth interested in poetry. But of course I am open to suggestions and with time we can have different programs - ex. Armenian poetry in translation, Armenian poets writing in English, etc. I really am not concerned with getting an audience. I have other ideas besides the ones you mentioned, which are all great. It will be advertised on TV also So, as soon as I have the place, I will start with the organization of the club. I need a few people to start the planning. I look forward to meeting and working with you. Thanx again for the encouragement.

A

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2000 - 05:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MJ:
Girls,

I think there is no need to start it from the scratch. To the best of my understanding, there is already such entity, a little broader, though. It is a cultural club in Glendale, who has organized few overwhelmingly successful events last year. If you are interested, I can put you in touch with some of the initiators of that club.

Are you talking about Iranahay Miutyun?

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2000 - 12:38 AM

Sure thing. Let me know when you'd like to start.

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2000 - 06:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Gayane:

Sure thing. Let me know when you'd like to start.

Well, why don't we get together and discuss it next week. E-mail me for further communication. But we will post the progress of the project under this topic.

A

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2000 - 08:21 PM

I'm not 18-30, but I'll bring the beer. Just kidding, my wife, son and I will come and fill three seats for you. Look for us, we'll be los viejos in the back.

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2000 - 05:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sulamita:

Are you talking about Iranahay Miutyun?

No.

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2000 - 12:44 AM