Posted 21 September 2006 - 03:14 AM

kool.

#3 Lev7

Lev7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:11 AM

looks really good, the view is amazing, I dont like the architecture of the building very much

#4 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:16 PM

looks like La Bastille biggrin.gif

#5 Javakhk

Javakhk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:50 AM

The website is old-fashioned and rather busy...

The buildin too...

#6 Javakhk

Javakhk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 07:53 AM

And grammar definitely is not their strongest skill:

"Նուրբ ձևավորված համարները , հանդիսանալով շքեղության և հարմարավետության օրինակը, բաղկացած են առանձին ննջասենյակով և հյուրասենյակով:"

biggrin.gif

#7 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:40 AM

extremely ugly

#8 Proud EXPAT

Proud EXPAT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE(kakachik77 @ Sep 24 2006, 10:40 AM) View Post
extremely ugly

extremely ugly? A little bit exaggerated dont you think?

If you lived here you would know how much ugly architecture is going up in the country. THIS believe me is very nice. Typical acceptable Soviet architecture, not the garbage style ones. Personally I think it looks very decent. I just don't understand why it's located in the middle of no where.

#9 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 06:09 PM

Proudexpat,

isn't the soviet rule over yet?

I wonder if those architects have ever thought of glancing through a western, japanese or ANY other architectural publication to see what's going on in the world today...and then we dare to call ourselves wise.

Edited by kakachik77, 24 September 2006 - 06:11 PM.

#10 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:15 PM

I think the Latar looks classier than the Golden Palace, which Tour Armenia Central referred to as a "bozatun." wink.gif

#11 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:30 PM

a "bozatun"

Thank you for the valuable information wink.gif

I wonder if those architects have ever thought of glancing through a western, japanese or ANY other architectural publication to see what's going on in the world today...and then we dare to call ourselves wise.

No need to copy or glance into foreign styles. We have (dare to say) excelent home grown architecture. They just need to be creative in using new materials and colores.

#12 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:45 PM

when you say excellent home grown architecture...are you referring to the soviet style buildings?

also, there was no mentioning of copying foreign styles (although that might be very authentic in a place like Armenia). Nonetheless, the materials that you are referring to be used...most probably will come from foreign places....yes you got to accept...foreign places make BETTER materials these day (for the exception of tufa), there is nothing authentic in the armenian materials...they are the same bad quality cement blocks that are still being used after the horrible experience with the 1988 earthquake.

Edited by kakachik77, 24 September 2006 - 11:48 PM.

#13 Proud EXPAT

Proud EXPAT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE(kakachik77 @ Sep 24 2006, 06:09 PM) View Post
Proudexpat,

isn't the soviet rule over yet?

So basically the soviet architecture needs to go? Is the architecture of Republic Square and Opera trash? They are very soviet and beautiful.

One other thing to add I'm glad we have the tufa stone. It's quite unique to Armenian architecture.

As far as "whats going on in the world today" do you mean lots of glass, aluminum covered business buildings and so on? So why does Paris perserve their 200 year old residential buildings? I assume you think they need to progress too. Western architecure might be safe and stable, on the outside I dont see anything unique that interests me. Especially if you mean north american architecture. If you mean west as in Europe, then I repeat my example of Paris.

#14 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:07 PM

Proud

why do you think parisians preserved their buildings? nobody is arguing for demolition of old beautiful buildings...in fact that is what exactly is going on in yerevan today! I already read few articles and not just building but the elimination of green space in the city is another big big issue...and instead they seem to be putting up these ugly outdated things. And if you look through a western publication today ( i am looking at architectural record magazine right now), the whole issue is on preserving green space, putting up roof gardens on top of building and building energy sufficient building (green buildings)...so you see it's not about glass and steel...

#15 kakachik77

kakachik77

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:24 PM

...on the other hand...I think if local Armenians are happy with that structure then it's a great project...I am looking at it with New York Columbia School of Architecture lens and I probably should not smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users