Domino,

Read Harold Sherman's classic book, "The Dead Are Alive."

#3 Arad9

Arad9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 October 2003 - 12:31 PM

The Universe is just a vacuum, there is nothing but thoughts, matter is just an illusion.

unless you are trying to cross a street in New York City, hoping that you and the cab drivers have the same illusion.

#4 Nikephoros_Phokas

Nikephoros_Phokas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 12:02 AM

Lately I have been waking up, and finding that I cannot really move for a while, I am frozen kind of like in science fiction, stuck in an alien spaceships' tractor beam. It feels like I am out of my body and experiencing conciousness this way is eerie. The first time it happened I thought it was an alien abduction and it freaked me out. I decided to search in a search engine about this: when you wake up and cannot move and have discovered there is a more orthodox explanation; sleep paraylsis. If you have sleep paraylsis you wake up and you literally cannot move, the level of conciousness seems to be on the brains field as described in this article, which explains the out of body sensation I had. Maybe this explains why you cannot move during sleep paralysis, the conciousness is foucused outside the body on the "sixth sense" and outside of the actual brain and when the level of conciousness goes back to the brain, I can move again.

#5 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 10:10 AM

Lately I have been waking up, and finding that I cannot really move for a while, I am frozen kind of like in science fiction, stuck in an alien spaceships' tractor beam. It feels like I am out of my body and experiencing conciousness this way is eerie. The first time it happened I thought it was an alien abduction and it freaked me out. I decided to search in a search engine about this: when you wake up and cannot move and have discovered there is a more orthodox explanation; sleep paraylsis. If you have sleep paraylsis you wake up and you literally cannot move, the level of conciousness seems to be on the brains field as described in this article, which explains the out of body sensation I had. Maybe this explains why you cannot move during sleep paralysis, the conciousness isoutside the body on the "sixth sense" and outside of the actual brain and when the level of conciousness goes back to the brain, I can move again.

Sleep paralysis is caused by the fact that while your brain is into REM sleep, your mind wake up. This phemenon is not rare. The reason that you are paralysed is not because of consciencenous being focused outside the body, but rather because in REM sleep phases, the brain shut off every nerve being responsable of volonary muscle movements. This is why you feel paralysed.

OBE, which is Out of Body experiences is general and very vague, because there is 3 sort of out of body experiences, the first one that is the one most people experience, is the REM OBE, which accure just after or before a sleep paralysis, in tha case the person having experienced it may not remember the sleep paralysis. The next time of have a sleep paralysis, try to not move any of your body parts, don't try to influence your respiration, try to imagine that you fly, and that you are able to move your body, without forcing... and you will see what will happen, its amazing. The way you can know that it is REM, is by the vibration you feel inside yourself, it is an irregulary sinusoidal kind of wave that is different than those felt by people having an OBE during a near-death experience. This vibration is just the feeling of the analogal kind of waves produced by the brain, the reason why you can feel it is still a mistery, many hypotheses are aborded by neurologists to explain it.

REM sleep is as well the stage of sleep where most of the dreams happens, when you dream and you know you dream(Lucid dreaming), it is because you are prone to SOREM(sleep onset REM), where you mind still is not entirly shot when you start dreaming, so the "self" of the consciencenous is able to differenciate itself from the subconsciencenous.

The second type of OBE, everyone can try it, the first one, not everyone can have it, you are dependent on its happening which you can not control, unless you have REM intrusion priblems in your wakefulness. When I say try, it is subjectif, because unlike the first one that is very intense, only a minority of person could have this one intense, it is an Alpha wave OBE, which is different than the REM type ALPHA intrusion. This type happens in an intense meditation, where you stop moving any part of your body, and trying to move a hypothetical energy starting from your feet. If you try that for long, and if you are successful, you will find a gid on vibration inside your body, this vibration is very similair to the REM one, to the difference that the rem one, the sinusoidal waves are iregulary, both in pick and period. The Rem feels like a vibration of a kind of cycle, a big pick folowed by a little one, and even a smaller one, than a bigger one etc... The meditation type is continuous. At the end, you pratically don't feel your body at all. Then, you try to move slowly from the inside, with a lot of experience you may maybe having near the intensity of the first one... the advantage with this type of OBE, is that it can be reproduced, and you can try for hours.

The 3rd type, the most intense, has little to do with REM(Note: Some Near death experiences are caused by REM, but I exclude those ones), This OBE is called NDE(Near death experience), when the experiencer is not very very full aware, and that he hears buzzes, electrical shocks etc... it is REM related...

When it is not REM related, and it happens during or after the brain shuts off, or a little before it restarts, it is this type of OBE that is the most intense, I will not developpe here the theories trying to explain why it happens(a physilogical why), because I think it is not really relevent, the relevent thing is that, from those accurences, we are forced to conclude that the level of consciencenous(like believed before) is not necessarly a direct relation with a higher frequency brain waves. Because, even if we supposed that it is neurologically induced(I accept the neurological hypotheses), and that it do not happen during the brain is shut off, but rather during the moment it is shuting, or it is restarting, during those moments, the brain waves are slower than Stage 4 sleep, which is the period where consciencenous is believed to be the less present. What is misterious about that is, those that had NDE experiences say having been more consciencenous during that moment then ever. This is a contradiction of everything we believed on how short term memory is processed and how consciencenous occur.

What we know of, is that time perception is somewhow dependant of brain waves(taken in account only for waves slower than Alpha). Faster the activity of the brain, faster you think time has passed, but of course there is the age related thing, the proportion compared to your age. For example, a child will think that one year is longer(after it passed) than an old woman, since this year in proportion of all those years the woman has seen passed is very short... this is why more we become older, more we feel that years passes more quikly.

Now, supposes that more the brainwaves slows down, more we have a perception of time passing more slowly, more slowly, more slowly... untill the waves shut off... BUT, suppose that slower brain waves does not necessarly means less consciencenous... A second in that very slow brain wave, could be equivalent of hours, I know it sound a kind of science fiction stuff... but suppose that this was in fact what happens during an NDE... A brain on the point of having no waves at all, will have time pratically stoped, while consciencenous would be as clear and as sharp as ever... ? What would that mean?

I know I changed the subject, but I am wondering of that stuff for some times now.

#6 angel4hope

angel4hope

look at me...i can fly!...sploosh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Interests:too many to list... btw i love eye candy! therefore my addiction, and hence my diabetes :(

Posted 20 October 2003 - 06:26 PM

whoah!!!!!!! thats really deep- mind-boggling! even thinking about it--- I'm often bothered by those kind of thougts- i sometimes question the fact that they way i percieve things colors-objects-sensations ingeneral may be totally different for another person, and there is almost no way of knowing this- like what you were saying about a persons brain waves being slower and slower and slower- oh wow- im getting more weird thoughts just typing about it- i cant even seem to type it all on the screen.......very deep question! :blink:

#7 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 08:30 PM

whoah!!!!!!! thats really deep- mind-boggling! even thinking about it--- I'm often bothered by those kind of thougts- i sometimes question the fact that they way i percieve things colors-objects-sensations ingeneral may be totally different for another person, and there is almost no way of knowing this- like what you were saying about a persons brain waves being slower and slower and slower- oh wow- im getting more weird thoughts just typing about it- i cant even seem to type it all on the screen.......very deep question! :blink:

Yes, perceptions can be different, but not so different, brain waves recording are similair with everyone. Alpha, beta, theta etc... brain waves have the same basic paterns for everyone of us. Unless you have a sleep disorder, or neurological disorders, but still you will have those brain paterns, with the difference that, mixing waves could happen, or waves intrusion in another wave paterns. But that does not really matter about the concordance of the wave, versus your perception of reality.

My interest here, was more about the contradiction generated by the fact that slower opr nearly absent brain waves could produce consciencenous that can be more intense than during normal wakefulness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users