13 replies to this topic

#1 Aratta-Kingdom

Aratta-Kingdom

www.ArmaniKingdom.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:33 PM

here is a unique chance to watch armenian plays online. just follow the link and from the left hand corner choose the play you might wanna watch.

http://www.razmik.us/shtml/khoren.htm

#2 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:19 PM

All that screaming and yelling (e.g. in Harut Pape): that's what I was talking about a while back. I find that extremely abnormal. We seriously need to do something about it.

#3 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:11 PM

The fact that I speak western Armenian; it was hard for me at times to follow every word they've said, especially when they spoke fast. The plot seemed to be OK but I must agree with you Nairi; they were screaming loudly quite a lot.

#4 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:33 AM

QUOTE(Anahid Takouhi @ Jan 12 2007, 05:11 AM) View Post
they were screaming loudly quite a lot.

The point that I was trying to make some time ago was that this screaming and yelling is deeply rooted in our culture. In other words: it is widespread enough to start worrying. But as per usual, our patriots on this board dismissed it as something rare or as something to embrace as part of our warm, hospitable, and inevitably passionate culture. It's neither warm, nor hospitable, nor passionate. It's irritating, embarrassing, and shows a complete lack of self-control. Let these plays be a mirror upon our worst behavior.

P.S.: minor detail: it would have been nicer if they could have found real parskahays to play the parskahay role. Nothing beats a real parskahay dialect.

#5 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE(nairi @ Jan 12 2007, 06:33 AM) View Post
The point that I was trying to make some time ago was that this screaming and yelling is deeply rooted in our culture. In other words: it is widespread enough to start worrying. But as per usual, our patriots on this board dismissed it as something rare or as something to embrace as part of our warm, hospitable, and inevitably passionate culture. It's neither warm, nor hospitable, nor passionate. It's irritating, embarrassing, and shows a complete lack of self-control. Let these plays be a mirror upon our worst behavior.

P.S.: minor detail: it would have been nicer if they could have found real parskahays to play the parskahay role. Nothing beats a real parskahay dialect.

Some latino cultures have this as well - a lot of screaming and so forth. By nature, we are loud people - when we contrast that with relatively meek (or shy) anglo-saxon or scandanavian cultures, the difference pops out even more. A few evenings ago I met a friend of mine (who is Romainian) with some of his friends and family. Man, were they ever loud! ohmy.gif Just ike many Armenians. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you're absolutely right about the armenian "volume" level, however, the frame of reference probably accentuates the effect.

(BTW I know I'm generalising in a lot of ways - but the underlying point remains: it can all be relative.)

#6 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:33 PM

The question is: what are they screaming about? It's simply a lack of ability to communicate with one another because neither is listening and both are talking out of their dirty behinds. If you listen to what the father and mother in Harut Pape are screaming about, you may come to understand why so many of our children, who are growing up in societies where they learn that listening is not such a bad thing after all and that self-reflection and honesty is not as harmful as is traditionally held, choose to remain outside of the domains of Armenian social life.

Also: this is not about being loud necessarily. It's about miscommunicated anger that passes between the people who are screaming at each other, when they could sit down and sort the problem like adults should do. Especially when there are children or guests involved!

#7 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:16 PM

99% of Armenian Families are like that Nairi; I once was at Greek home, invited for a dinner, what is the Greek screaming compare to Armenian? I was quiet for the most time, not because i dident like it, I was being polite as a guest, ( I wanted do much to contribute my vocal cords as well smile.gif ) and in the end they were all loving and laughing there buds of, I found it to be very normal, and the play, we are all like that in our homes, we Armenians are passionate people, yelling is a form of expression. Otherwise it would be boring for me.

I liked the play, wink.gif and closely can relate to it

#8 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:31 AM

harut pape was the last performance by my uncle. after returning back to Armenia he passed away within 2 weeks. sad.gif

#9 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:36 AM

QUOTE(Azat @ Jan 13 2007, 11:31 PM) View Post
harut pape was the last performance by my uncle. after returning back to Armenia he passed away within 2 weeks. sad.gif

what a loss, Azat I never knew Karen Janibekyan was your uncle, what great Family, Gurgen, Karen, and his son SOS,

BIG loss Armenian teather, rest in peace, tsavaktsutyuners

#10 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:30 PM

No Edward jan, it was Mais Karagozian I am refering too bud.

#11 Aratta-Kingdom

Aratta-Kingdom

www.ArmaniKingdom.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:31 PM

[quote name='Edward' date='Jan 13 2007, 10:16 AM' post='185785']
99% of Armenian Families are like that Nairi;

It's in our blood smile.gif there is even a joke about the armenians the noise they make. it goes this way...and i'll say it in armenian, it's sounds better

turistnerin niagara jrvejn(Niagra waterfall) en tanum cuyc talu...u bacatrum en-'jur@ shat hervic a galis', 'jur@ mets hzorutyamb jamum mets taratsutyun a ancnum' 'jri dzayn@ minchev 3 mayli vra karogh ek lsel...bayc spasek hayer@ gnan vor karogananq lsenq(wait until the armenians are gone so we can hear it) smile.gif

#12 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:05 AM

It's not in our blood. It's in our culture and we are passing it on from one generation to the next. Why are we so afraid of change, especially when it's change for the better? Would communication stop us from Armenians? Does screaming apegh-tspegh banner to each other make us more Armenian? Why this constant animosity? Because that is what it is. I hardly doubt the mother and the father made love that night! In fact, I wonder if those two ever experienced the notion of love! Unless non-stop bitching and whining à la arménienne is what we call love.

Sorry to hear about uncle, Az.

#13 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:51 AM

Nairi, the thing is that, whereas it's true that we are passionate people and do speak loudly and holler a lot, and it is the true picture of a great deal of the families; but it is also true that they should be reminded to be less acting like 'Asiatsis' and start changing to be quieter and with it our image as people has to be taken into consideration too.

But that may take another 100+ years. I don't know, but if Armenians start reminding themselves often to be quieter people, it may take lesser time?

Azat condolensces to your uncle.

#14 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:36 PM

At the rate we're going, we may not even make 50 years.

Michael Arlen: "An Armenian once told me that for his father and mother had loved each other more than fifty years, but I shouldn't wonder if that wasn't one more of those exaggerations for which oppressed peoples are remarkable."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users