#1 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:12 AM

I've been hearing about not letting anybody see a new born baby till 40 days after the babies birth. But do people still honer it? What do you guys think about this life long Armenian tradition.

#2 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,228 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:43 AM

jisht en asum' mi togh. yerexan poqr e yev manavand iys orerin 1000 tesaki hivandutyun ka ...

#3 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Newborn babies need some time away from germs upon birth, until their body develops antibodies for their immune system. The best way for this is through their mother's milk which will transfer all the antibodies that the mother collected throughout her life. Probably the 40 days thing is more like a religious flavour given to it so that people do it with due diligence in the old time.
I'm not a doctor but I play one here at Hyeforum. :P.

#4 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

I agree with you Mr. Super Mod, but it's not possible sometimes. How do you tell people not to come over till the 40 days is up? That's why I was asking if people still do this?

Wow, you're both a doctor and a Super Mod on Hyeforum, when do you have time for anythin else. :P

#5 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

That tradition has been virtually forgotten ever since the advent of infant vaccinations.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vaccines/MY01013
The infant usually inherits immunity in -utero from the mother, as Yervant points out above. It had been observed that the innate immunity fades away at about 40 days or so, even though mother’s milk may prolong it. It had been observed that infant mortality is prevalent after the original 40? days.
Another topic?That is the reason for infant baptism, that it has to be done before the 40th day Qarasunq. Many orthodox churches still try to observe it, even if of late it is generally disregarded.
Food for thought. Is infant baptism still relevant? Many non-orthodox denomination baptize at a pre-adult (age 13)**, or adult age, i.e. When the recipient understands the spirit of the practice.
Brings to mind the joke of people attending church only three times in their lifetime.
The first at baptism when they had no idea, the second at their wedding when they couldn’t care less, and lastly at their funeral….when they ….
** Off topic? Maybe. See why some people hold their bar initiation(mitzvah) at that age, even if their infant circumcision may be similar and the model of the Christian baptism. Consider the Armenian word mkrtutyun, which basically means mkrtel/mktatel to cut with a scissors/mkrat.

Edited by Arpa, 08 February 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#6 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,674 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

I agree with you Mr. Super Mod, but it's not possible sometimes. How do you tell people not to come over till the 40 days is up? That's why I was asking if people still do this?

Wow, you're both a doctor and a Super Mod on Hyeforum, when do you have time for anythin else. :P

As long people don't touch or kiss the baby on early days, at least that's what I do when I see a newborn everything should be ok. As for the tradition I can't remember when I heard about it the last time.
I don't have Facebook (Gossipbook) that's why I have all the time in the world for Hyeforum and other things. Yes I do have a life :cheers:

#7 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

As long people don't touch or kiss the baby on early days, at least that's what I do when I see a newborn everything should be ok. As for the tradition I can't remember when I heard about it the last time.
I don't have Facebook (Gossipbook) that's why I have all the time in the world for Hyeforum and other things. Yes I do have a life :cheers:

I know you have a life, I was only kidding :)

#8 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,228 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

tell them just like that .. 40unq enq pahum.. don't let people make a toy out of your kid, people will go home .. your at your home w/ your kid who wishes to play and hugged at any time he wishes.. since your people wok him/her up to kiss to play... rejimi tak dir yev shutov ashxaty gisherner@ kath chtal.. jishta djvara bayst mi qani or dimatsy heto te ir hamar lav klini te dzer.. yerexan hangist k@qni duq el nuynpes..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users