• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 27 March 2004 - 05:00 PM

I wonder...

Is the feeling/concept of spirituality something that a person is born with (much like being either musical or not) or is it something that can be acquired if one really tries hard enough? And if it can be acquired how can a person achieve it?

#2 angel4hope

angel4hope

look at me...i can fly!...sploosh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Interests:too many to list... btw i love eye candy! therefore my addiction, and hence my diabetes :(

Posted 27 March 2004 - 08:21 PM

imo one can be born with spirituality, but one can also acquire it through life expereinces, but you have to have some sort of predesposition for it-genologically speaking- i guess you are addressing the nature vs. nurture problem that occurs in both biology and every other science--> esp psychology... there can never be onlyone right answer...

#3 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 27 March 2004 - 09:51 PM

You can easily become more spiritual by hanging out with spiritual people, reading spiritual books, watching spritual movies. Since you ask this question I am assuming you do have at least very little spirituality, otherwise you would not come up with this question. But I could be wrong smile.gif

#4 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE (anoushik @ Mar 27 2004, 05:00 PM)
I wonder...

Is the feeling/concept of spirituality something that a person is born with (much like being either musical or not) or is it something that can be acquired if one really tries hard enough? And if it can be acquired how can a person achieve it?

Everyone has a soul and everyone can be spiritual.I take lessons from my kids.They are lot more honest then me...

#5 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

Julius Caesar was a salad dressing dude!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 11:18 PM

I personally think this depends on how one views a human. Do you just see a human as a physical entity, or more than that, a spiritual being?

There is this saying that says if I poke you in the arm with my finger and I ask a question, "Is this your body?" and you answer"Yes." I then ask, "Well, if that's your body, what are you?" The answer of course is a spiritual being.

#6 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 12:06 AM

Hmmm... interesting. I always looked at musicality as a 'talent'; a more physical manifestation, much like being able to run really fast, or jump really high. With proper training, 'talent' can be considerably enhanced, neverthless those without talent, no matter how intense the training, will never achieve the same proficiency levels as those blessed with talent. Personally, I have a hard time equating talent with spirituality; where in most cases, spirituality is sought after (or at the very least, taught). I don't think you're born spiritual.

#7 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE (vava @ Mar 27 2004, 10:06 PM)
Personally, I have a hard time equating talent with spirituality; where in most cases, spirituality is sought after (or at the very least, taught). I don't think you're born spiritual.

Yes, in a way I also think that spirituality is sought after, but I also think that one needs to have the will to seek spirituality... So I guess I mean that some people are born with the will to seek spirituality while other people might be indifferent towards it.

#8 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 02:03 AM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Mar 27 2004, 07:51 PM)
Since you ask this question I am assuming you do have at least very little spirituality, otherwise you would not come up with this question. But I could be wrong smile.gif

Yes Sasun, I'm not entirely a materialist. I believe in the existence of the soul. I guess I'd also like to believe in some kind of God, but I don't think I ever will. smile.gif

#9 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 11:46 PM

Anoushik, I am not sure, do you want to be more spiritual or you are just curious about things? smile.gif

#10 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 02:37 AM

Sasun, I have no idea what I want. tongue.gif sad.gif

... It's OK. I should just stop "wondering".

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. smile.gif

#11 axel

axel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 06:14 AM

Matthew 7
7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

smile.gif

#12 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (anoushik @ Mar 30 2004, 03:37 AM)
Sasun, I have no idea what I want. tongue.gif sad.gif

... It's OK. I should just stop "wondering".

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. smile.gif

Anoushik jan, you can wonder as much as you want biggrin.gif (look how Domino never stops wondering tongue.gif ) I don't mean to discourage in any way, but I don't want to encourage either if that's against your wishes smile.gif Spirituality is a great thing to have, it is the only thing one really needs in life.

#13 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 02:10 AM

Sasun, thanks for being so understanding. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users