47 replies to this topic

#1 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,342 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 11:16 PM

Garlic was worshipped by the ancient Egyptians, chewed by Greek Olympian atheletes and thought to be essential for keeping vampires at bay!
But it is also good for zapping bacteria, keeping your heart healthy, warding off coughs and colds - and don't worry it needn't give you bad breath!
Posted Image
Garlic, scientifically known as Allium sativa, is a complex mixture of chemicals displaying anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-cancer, anti-blood clotting, decongestive, cholesterol-reducing and immunity-boosting properties.

[ October 02, 2001: Message edited by: MosJan ]

#2 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,342 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 11:18 PM

There are now over 12 well designed studies published around the world that confirm that garlic in several forms can reduce cholesterol. Most recently researchers in Oxford and America have published some summaries of all the good data on garlic.

Garlic as lipid lowering agent - a meta analysis

Silagy CS, Neil HAW, 1994, The Journal of the Royal College of Physicians, Vol 28 No 1:39-45
The authors state that garlic supplements have an important part to play in the treatment of high cholesterol and that this paper reviews all the published and unpublished data from around the world. Overall a 12% reduction in total cholesterol was shown over a placebo and that this reduction was normally evident after only 4 weeks treatment and that this was likely to persist for as long as the study was in progress.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The largest study so far was conducted in Germany where 261 patients from 30 general practices were given either garlic powder tablets or a placebo. After a 12 week treatment period mean serum cholesterol levels dropped by 12% in the garlic treated group and triglycerides dropped by 17% compared to the placebo group.

#3 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,342 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 11:19 PM

Garlic and Pregnancy
Cut the complications of pregnancy naturally with garlic
New research shows that taking garlic during pregnancy can cut the risk of pre-eclampsia (raised blood pressure and protein retained in the urine). Studies reveal that garlic may help to boost the birth-weight of babies destined to be too small. The research was carried out by Dr D Sooranna, Ms J Hirani and Dr I Das in the Academic Department of Obstertrics & Gynaecology at the Chelsea & Westminster Hospital in London UK.

They concluded that although pre-eclampsia and growth retardation are complex multifactoral conditions, taking standardised garlic tablets (for further details please contact us) throughout pregnancy may decrease the chances of these types of complictions at birth. They focussed on growth retarded babies and pre-eclampsia, a potentially dangerous condition for mother and baby which occurs in about one in ten pregnancies. Experiments by the research team showed that adding extracts of garlic to cells from the placenta of women likely to suffer from these conditions was able to quickly stimulate growth. Furthermore, the activity of key enzemes that are reduced in the abnormal pregnancies were significantly increased when garlic was added.
Posted Image

#4 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,342 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 11:20 PM

A Guinness World Record!
Did You Know?
The Guinness World Record Holder for the longest continuous string of garlic in the world.....
is not in GILROY.....
is not in Saugerties.....
is not on the Isle of Wight.....
but is in a small village in England called Catsfield.

Thats right, Peter Josling who runs The Garlic Information Centre and owns the retail and mail order chain Garlic Galore! is the current WORLD record holder with a string that stretched 123ft or 36.5 metres.

"We put it together in 1996 and used around 1600 garlic bulbs and fortunately we smashed the previous world record by a long long way"

Once the record had been validated by the local major and Guinnes Officials rather than celebrate with champagne Peter said "we treated ourselves to lots of garlic and honey ice cream, followed by a really garlicky meal". The bulbs were raffled off and all the funds went to The British Diabetic Association Research Fund.

World Record Holder
Posted Image

#5 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:a little bit of everything.

Posted 02 October 2001 - 11:35 PM

I love garlic! I am such a sucker for it, I just had a bowl of yoghurt with mint and garlic after dinner this evening! (((: (Oh - and let's not forget the salt!)
Some night last week, I was about to get a cold - or so I felt - coincidentally, I also consumed, like, four cloves of garlic that evening. The next morning, I was feeling very well when I woke up. None of that pre-illness fatigue. One thing, though - it makes me very thirsty. Does it you?
I had a teacher in high school who never missed class - said he owed it to swallowing two little cloves (not chewing so it wouldn't give him a smelly breath!) with half a small glass of lemon juice (or maybe juice of half a lemon - hm)... And he hadn't had a cold for five years! Maybe I should be regular, too, huh?

#6 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,342 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 11:42 PM

Garlic: Still Appears to Lower Cholesterol Slightly

By Steven Bratman, M.D.

Garlic tablets are widely used in the belief that they lower cholesterol levels. However, while studies published between 1985 and 1996 consistently found evidence that garlic can lower cholesterol,1,2 most more recent and better designed studies have found no benefit.3–7 The explanation appears to be that garlic's effects are modest, reducing cholesterol by only about 5%.8 It's easy for a study to miss an improvement this small.

A recent double-blind trial that evaluated 46 individuals with high cholesterol did find evidence of improvement in this range.9 The study used a special form of garlic (enteric-coated) designed to carry the active ingredients safely past the acid of the stomach. All participants were also encouraged to follow a lowfat diet.

The results over 12 weeks showed that the garlic supplement reduced total cholesterol by 4.2% and LDL ("bad") cholesterol by 6.6%. No comparable improvement was seen in the placebo group. Interestingly, however, levels of HDL ("good") cholesterol were 9% better in the placebo group than in the garlic group.

Improvements in this range are very minor, and given the difference in HDL, might not amount to anything at all. This study adds to the increasing consensus that garlic is not very useful as a treatment for high cholesterol. Nonetheless, other evidence suggests that garlic might benefit the heart in unrelated ways, such as by thinning the blood, so using garlic might still provide some benefits.

For more information see the full article on garlic. For more information about reducing cholesterol, see the full article on high cholesterol.

1. Warshafsky S, Kamer RS, Sivak SL. Effect of garlic on total serum cholesterol. A meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med. 1993;119:599–605.

2. Neil HA, Silagy CA, Lancaster T, et al. Garlic powder in the treatment of moderate hyperlipidaemia: a controlled trial and meta-analysis. J R Coll Physicians Lond. 1996;30:329–334.

3. Simons LA, Balasubramaniam S, von Konigsmark M, et al. On the effect of garlic on plasma lipids and lipoproteins in mild hypercholesterolaemia. Atherosclerosis. 1995;113:219–225.

4. Superko HR, Krauss RM. Garlic powder, effect on plasma lipids, postprandial lipemia, low-density lipoprotein particle size, high-density lipoprotein subclass distribution and lipoprotein (a). J Am Coll Cardiol. 2000;35:321–326.

5. Isaacsohn JL, Moser M, Stein EA, et al. Garlic powder and plasma lipids and lipoproteins: a multicenter, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Arch Intern Med. 1998;158:1189–1194.

6. Gardner CD, Chatterjee LM, Carlson JJ. The effect of a garlic preparation on plasma lipid levels in moderately hypercholesterolemic adults. Atherosclerosis. 2001;154:213–220.

7. Stevinson C, Pittler MH, Ernst E. Garlic for treating hypercholesterolemia. A meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. Ann Intern Med. 2000;133:420–429.

8. Silagy CA, Neil HA. A meta-analysis of the effect of garlic on blood pressure. J Hypertens. 1994;12:463–468.

9. Kannar D, Wattanapenpaiboon N, Savige GS, et al. Hypocholesterolemic effect of an enteric-coated garlic supplement. J Am Coll Nutr. 2001;20:225–231.

#7 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,342 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 12:03 PM

"Each clove of garlic has a sacred power..."
-- Reverend Hilderic Friend, 1891

Garlic is one of the most versatile flavors to ever grace a kitchen. It not only tastes wonderful, it's very good for your body. Learn about Mother Nature's most precious gift to cooks of all levels of expertise. You don't have to be dodging vampires to love garlic!

Garlic (allium sativum) has lovingly been dubbed The Stinking Rose, yet it is actually a member of the lily (Liliaceae) family and a cousin to onions, leeks, chives, and shallots. The edible bulb or head of garlic is composed of smaller cloves. It's a root crop, with the bulb growing underground. Crops are harvested in mid-July and hung in sheds to dry before reaching their prime in late-July/early-August.

There are over 300 varieties of garlic grown worldwide. American garlic, with its white, papery skin and strong flavor is one of the most common varieties. Italian and Mexican garlic, both of which have pink- to purple-colored skins, are slightly milder-flavored varieties. Elephant garlic (allium scorodoprasum), which has very large, extremely mild-flavored cloves, is not a true garlic, but a closer relative to the leek.

A Little History
The word garlic comes from Old English garleac, meaning "spear leek." Dating back over 6,000 years, it is native to Central Asia, and has long been a staple in the Mediterranean region, as well as a frequent seasoning in Asia, Africa, and Europe. Eqyptians worshipped garlic and placed clay models of garlic bulbs in the tomb of Tutankhamen. Garlic was so highly-prized, it was even used as currency. And, of course, folklore holds that garlic repels vampires, protects against the Evil Eye, and warded off jealous nymphs said to terrorize pregnant women and engaged maidens. And let us not forget to mention the alleged aphrodisiacal powers of garlic which have been extolled through the ages.

Surprisingly, garlic was frowned upon by foodie snobs in the United States until the first quarter of the twentieth century, being found almost exclusively in ethnic dishes in working-class neighborhoods. But, by 1940, America had embraced garlic, finally recognizing its value as not only a minor seasoning, but as a major ingredient in recipes. Quaint diner slang of the 1920's referred to garlic as Bronx vanilla, halitosis, and Italian perfume. Now, Americans alone consume more than 250 million pounds of garlic annually

#8 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,342 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 12:03 PM

Ooooh...That Smell!
And what causes that smell, you may ask? When garlic cells are ruptured by cutting or pressing, they release an enzyme called allinaise chemically changing the inherent alliin into allicin, a sulfur-containing molecule, which results in that heady, pungent garlic smell which is a mainstay in kitchens around the world. These sulphur molecules are absorbed into the bloodstream and lungs, escaping through exhaled air and perspiration. Thus, the garlic breath. And, in some people who consume massive quantities, a noticeable garlicky body odor can result.

If you are a garlic-lover, it's wise to surround yourself with others who enjoy garlic, or try munching on parsley to rid yourself of garlic breath. And, to rid your hands of the smell after peeling and/or chopping garlic, simply wash your hands and then rub your clean hands on a chrome faucet. It works like magic!

Selection and Storage
Choose heads that are firm to the touch, with no nicks or soft cloves. If you notice dark, powdery patches under the skin, pass it up since it's an indication of a common mold which will eventually spoil the flesh. Store unpeeled in an open container in a cool, dry place away from other foods. Do not refrigerate or freeze unpeeled garlic. As garlic ages, it will begin to produce green sprouts in the center of each clove. These infant green sprouts can be bitter, so discard them before chopping the garlic for your recipe. However, if you plant the cloves and let them sprout to a height of about six inches, you can use the sprouts like chives in salads and such. Properly stored garlic can keep up to three months.

To peel a clove, place it on a cutting board on its side, and gently press down quickly with the flat side of a butcher knife. The skin should then easily peel off. If you find the skin clinging desperately to the clove, congratulations! You have fresh garlic. As garlic ages, it shrivels inside the skin, making it easier to peel.

Garlic can also be purchased as peeled whole cloves or minced, both stored in olive or vegetable oil. It's imperative that garlic in oil be stored under refrigeration to avoid potentially-deadly bacteria growth. If you use a lot of garlic and wish to cut your preparation time down, you can also pre-peel and store your own in olive oil in the refrigerator, but the best flavor will come from freshly-peeled cloves. Use garlic powder, garlic salt, and garlic extract (juice) only as a last resort.

#9 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,342 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 12:04 PM

Usage
Believe it or not, one raw garlic clove, finely minced or pressed releases more flavor than a dozen cooked whole cloves. When garlic cloves are cooked or baked whole, the flavor mellows into a sweet, almost nutty flavor that hardly resembles any form of pungency. This nutty flavor makes a surprisingly nice addition to desserts, such as brownies or even ice cream. Whole, unpierced cloves barely have any aroma at all, while raw garlic is the strongest in flavor. When sautιing garlic, be very careful not to burn it. The flavor turns intensely bitter, and you'll have to start over.

img src="/library/graphics/garlic11.gif" align=right height=75 width=75 alt="(Garlic & cloves graphic)"> There are a myriad of garlic presses available on the market, but I personally prefer the Zyliss/Susi. This is the queen of all garlic presses in my humble opinion, and although it An easy rule of thumb to remember regarding the potency of the flavor of garlic is: The smaller you cut it, the stronger the flavor. Chopping finely and/or pressing a clove exposes more surfaces to the air, causing a chemical reaction to produce that strong aroma.

Health Watch
Garlic has long been considered a medicinal food, being used to protect against plague by monks of the Middle Ages. Hippocrates used garlic vapors to treat cervical cancer, and garlic poultices were placed on wounds during World War II as an inexpensive, and apparently quite effective replacement for antibiotics, which were scarce during wartime.

Now science is beginning to prove the medicinal properties of garlic that our ancestors took for granted. Studies have shown garlic can suppress the growth of tumors, and is a potent antioxidant good for cardiovascular health. Other studies show garlic can reduce LDL or "bad" cholesterol and is a good blood-thinning agent to avoid blood clots that could lead to heart attack or stroke. All this at only 4 calories per clove! Further information is at your fingertips by calling the Garlic Information Hotline from Cornell University Medical College at 1-800-330-5922.

#10 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,342 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 12:04 PM

The Ultimate Garlic Recipe
This recipe may sound formidable to many, but I promise it will make a believer of you! Squeeze the soft garlic from their skins onto warm bread for a sweet, nutty treat. There are many versions of Chicken With Forty Cloves of Garlic, but this one is especially nice and simple, too. It's especially wonderful when made in a clay cooker.

Forty-Clove Chicken Filice
Val and Elsie Filice, Gilroy, California
The Complete Garlic Lovers' Cookbook
From Gilroy, Garlic Capital of the World
(Ten Speed Press)

1 frying chicken, cut in pieces
40 cloves fresh garlic
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup dry vermouth
1/4 cup olive oil
4 stalks celery, cut in 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons dry basil
6 sprigs minced parsley
Pinch of crushed red
Pepper
1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste

Place chicken pieces into shallow baking pan, skin side up. Sprinkle all ingredients evenly over top of chicken. Squeeze juice from lemon and pour over top. Cut remaining lemon rind into pieces and arrange throughout chicken. Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees F. for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes.

Yield: 4 servings

#11 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,342 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 12:05 PM

Cholesterol Reducer
There is little doubt that garlic reduces blood cholesterol. In studies of people with high cholesterol (over 200), one-half to one whole garlic clove daily typically lowered their levels by about 9 percent, according to a major review of the evidence by Stephen Warshafsky at New York Medical College in Valhalla. Benefits showed up in a month and also came from garlic supplements. Tufts University Diet and Nutrition Letter suggests two cloves of garlic a day might be as potent as some cholesterol-lowering drugs.

#12 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,342 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 12:06 PM

Artery Protector

A newly discovered garlic plus: It prevents bad-type LDL cholesterol from oxidizing, a process that initiates plaque buildup on artery walls, which can lead to clogging, heart attack and stroke. The theory is that unoxidized cholesterol is not very harmful. In a study by University of Kansas researchers, taking 600 milligrams of powdered garlic every day for two weeks reduced LDL oxidation by a remarkable 34 percent. So garlic eaters might have less harmful cholesterol than non-garlic eaters with identical cholesterol counts.

#13 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,342 posts

Blood Thinner

Studies suggest that garlic compounds help thin the blood, says Eric Block, professor of chemistry at the State University of New York at Albany. Block has isolated a garlic chemical, ajoene, (ajo is Spanish for garlic) with anti-coagulant activity equal or superior to that of aspirin. Raw garlic (three cloves a day) improved clot-dissolving activity by about 20 percent in a double-blind study of medical students in India. Cooking garlic might enhance its anti-clotting activity.

#14 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,342 posts

Cancer Blocker

Much research shows that garlic contains many chemicals that in laboratory animals block cancers of every type, including breast, liver and colon. A specific garlic compound suppressed the growth of prostate cancer cells in test tubes by about 25 percent, reports John Pinto of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York. Dedicated garlic eaters may escape certain cancers. Example: In a recent study of 42,000 older women in Iowa, those who ate garlic more than once a week were half as likely to develop colon cancer as non-garlic eaters.

#15 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,342 posts

Infection Fighter

Garlic kills viruses responsible for colds and the flu, according to tests by James North, a microbiologist at Brigham Young University. Eat garlic when you feel a sore throat coming on, he says, and you may not even get sick. (Eat garlic when you're stuffed up, too: It acts as a decongestant.) Other studies suggest that garlic revs up immune functioning by stimulating infection-fighting T-cells.

I recommend eating one or two cloves of raw garlic a day to people with chronic or recurrent infections, says Andrew Weil of the University of Arizona College of Medicine, author of Natural Health, Natural Medicine. His tip: Cut raw cloves into small pieces and swallow them like pills.

#16 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,342 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 12:07 PM

Baby 'Appetizer'

Even babies like garlic. When nursing mothers eat garlic, infants stay longer at the breast and drink more, not less, milk, according to tests at Monnel Chemical Senses Center in Philadelphia

#17 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,342 posts

At the Market

Buy unpackaged garlic, so you can feel the bulb. It should be solid, not light, airy or dried out. Press the cloves with your fingertips to be sure they're firm. Look for large-cloved bulbs in which the outer skin is tight, unbroken and free of soft spots.

#18 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,342 posts

In the Kitchen

Keep garlic in a cool, dry place. Store it in any container that allows good air circulation, such as special ceramic garlic jars with vent holes or any glass jar, small box, basket or similar container, loosely covered. Most experts do not advise refrigerating garlic. Peeled garlic cloves, tightly wrapped, can become moldy rather quickly in the refrigerator. Freezing, too, ruins uncooked garlic. Cloves that have sprouted are all right to use but may be milder in taste.

Caution: If you make dressings, oils, butters or marinades containing garlic, be sure to keep them refrigerated, and don't store them longer than two weeks. Otherwise, they pose a threat of potentially deadly botulism

#19 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,342 posts

Raw or cooked?

-- For anti-bacterial or anti-viral effect, only raw garlic will do. Both raw and cooked garlic seem to have cardiovascular, decongestive and anti-cancer benefits.

-- Eating more than three raw cloves a day can cause gas, bloating, diarrhea and fever in some people. Cooked garlic is gentler on the stomach.

-- All garlic (crushed, chopped in jars, paste, even garlic powder off the spice shelf) can have health benefits.

#20 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,342 posts

Posted 02 October 2001 - 12:08 PM

Garlic Breath

Eating parsley or mints or sloshing mouthwash only temporarily dims garlic breath. Garlic infuses your blood and lungs, typically giving off an odor for 4-18 hours. The strength and duration of the odor depend on your body's individual reaction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users