Strange coincidences between Armenian culture and other cult

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2000 - 03:28 PM

1. The Ethiopian alphabet looks suspiciously similar to the Armenian one, but a bit more curvy (so does the Cherokee, a bit, though it is more similar looking to the Georgian alphabet).

2. Bolivians have a dance that is very similar to shortchbar (yes, I know circle dancces are found throughout the world, but the Bolivian one looks very Armenian).

3. The Basque word for water is also "jur"

4. Some Filipinos have last names that end with "yan."

5. I don't know why, whenever I hear the Japanese word "genki des" I want to laugh because it sounds like they are saying "gites?"

Any others we can add to the list? Try to look for coincidences from cultures remote from Armenia!

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2000 - 10:18 PM

The Irish have some stone crosses, somehow similar to our Khatchkar , although ours ,I believe , involves alot of needle-like curving and inscriptions. Some Khatchkars are known to have been completed in 12 years.

(By the way, Steve , I've sent you 2 e-mails. Did you receive them?)

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2000 - 04:21 PM

The stone crosses are not "Irish" - they are Celtic or Pictish - and the ones that are slightly similar to khatchkars are actually mostly from Scotland. However there is NO cultural connection between them and khatchkars. Celtic crosses are often made up of a very sophisticated interlace pattern that is formed from a continuous line, signifying eternity. The interlace pattern on Armenian crosses is much, much simpler and is probably decorative.

Steve

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2000 - 05:06 PM

I will suggest bellthecat to visit the web page below. There is a very good section about Armenian stone crosses. It is obvious that Celtic stone crosses were influenced by Armenian khachkars given the migration of the Armenians westward and the historical period of their occurrence.

http://www.armenianhighland.com/

[This message has been edited by gamavor (edited November 15, 2000).]

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2000 - 06:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bellthecat:
Celtic crosses are often made up of a very sophisticated interlace pattern that is formed from a continuous line, signifying eternity. The interlace pattern on Armenian crosses is much, much simpler and is probably decorative.

Steve

A lot of Armenian cross stones are made exactly in the same spirit of the symbol of eternity. The manifestation of the symbol of eternity is very typical of the entire Armenian religious architecture and the cross stones, in particular.

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2000 - 07:32 PM

Steve,

You sound very knowledgable about these things. I think one person you would enjoy discussing things with is Farsisteve, or AKA "Half Breed" which is is screen name. In fact you sound very like him at times!

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2000 - 08:29 PM

In my high school I had a girl friend from Ethiopia. We would try and compare words and you would be surprised how much similar Armenian and Ethiopian are. For example, mastika in Eth means chewing gum, in old Armenian gum is called mastak. Dsita means oil, dset in Armenian. There were about 50+ words that were almost identical.

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2000 - 02:52 PM

Armenian Stonehenge!?!? No kidding! Go to

http://www.tacentral...karahundj1.html

They sit like soldiers on a hill, huddled in formation. The 204 stones near Sissian have been ascribed with mystical, fertility and cosmic powers, but rarely have ancient monuments caused such a sensation in astronomical circles.

These simple stones stretched out along the crest of a hill overlooking the Sissian River challenge the very dating of early astronomy and the answer to the question, "Who were the first astronomers?" If proven true, a current controversial dating of the stones at Karahundj predate England's Stonehenge, they predate the Babylonian's claim to being the first astronomers, and they confirm what some people already suspect: that Armenia is the birthplace of the zodiac, and perhaps the beginning of navigation and the concept of time.

Pretty amazing claim for a group of rough-cut stones that have been almost ignored for centuries. Not so to Elma Parsamian and Paris Herouni, both who have taken a keen interest in the complex about 5 kilometers from Sissian. Parsamian, an astral-physicist at the Byurakan Observatory and Internationally renowned lecturer on Astronomical History, and Herouni, the director of the first optical-radio telescope, have both crusaded to bring the stones at Karahundj to the attention of the astronomical world, and they are about to succeed. Astronomers from Europe and the US are showing increasing interest in the complex, and several expeditions have already taken place, confirming much of what these two conjecture.

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2000 - 04:08 PM

Edg, that is interesting about the word for gum, but I think it might be Arabic in origin, I don't know. As for the alphabet, I think it might be more than coincidence, as there was quite a bit of contact in the early church between Ethiopia and Armenia due to their Monophysite Orthodox beliefs. I am pretty sure the Ethiopic script predates the Armenian, so there may have been some borrowing. I know this might not sit well with racists, the Idea that Blacks influenced the Armenian alphabet!

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2000 - 05:50 AM

There is a very strange connection between Karahunj and Stonehenge.
They look very very similar and I believe they were built for the same purposes.
Though, the time difference is about 3,000 years.(Karahunj is much older!!!!! )
If you look at those 2 words...it's getting interesting....
KARA is STONE !!! There is no such word as HENGE in English (it's of Celtic origin), but the word HENGE sounds pretty much like HUNJ!!!So... STONEHENGE and KARAHUNJ actually have the same meaning!!!!!!!!!!!
So there is a strange connection.
BTW, KARAHUNJ means smth. like "the talk of the stones"
I see another connection between Armenian and Celtic cultures. One of the Celtic legends speaks about a "charmed" land called Vanaheim.The people of this land are called Vans.They are considered to be magicians.And they live in the waters of a silver lake called Van!!!
Inetersting...ha?

#11 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2000 - 01:31 PM

To further these "strange" analogies find a device that would allow you to listen Celtic folk music a bit slowly and soon you will find out that it is variation on the theme "Delle Yaman".

#12 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2000 - 01:40 PM

I used to date a Turkish girl, does that make me anti-Armenian. I just don’t understand why do you guys bring ethnicity into personal relationships.

#13 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2000 - 02:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gamavor:
To further these "strange" analogies find a device that would allow you to listen Celtic folk music a bit slowly and soon you will find out that it is variation on the theme "Delle Yaman".

Interesting.

I've been buying that stuff for my wife and I've thought it doesn't sound that different from old Anatolian folk. Also, I swear half the time I'm playing my oud it sounds more Celtic than Armenian.

#14 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2000 - 02:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alpha:
I used to date a Turkish girl, does that make me anti-Armenian. I just don’t understand why do you guys bring ethnicity into personal relationships.

Alpha, did you mean this for the other thread?

I don't think it makes you anti-Armenian; probably just more mature than the rest of us.

I can't help thinking about ethnicity since I've been focused upon my own practically since birth.

#15 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2000 - 09:53 AM

Sorry gamavor, although there seems to be a similarity of creative spirit in their creators, there is absolutely NO direct cultural connection between Celtic / Pictish cross-stones and Armenian cross-stones. The similarity really is just a superficial one. And if there was a connection, then it would be from Ireland and Scotland to Armenia - not the other way around - because the Celtic and Pictish crosses date from the early eighth century onwards, and khatchkars only started to appear in the 9th century (I am talking about carved stone slabs here, not the uncarved stone monoliths or tall steles).

Correct me if I am wrong, but are not the symbols of eternity on Armenian khatchkars mostly exactly that - precise symbols? In Celtic / Pictish crosses (and manuscripts), as well as having symbols, the eternity aspect is expressed in a more abstract way in their whole construction - namely the unbroken line of their knotwork interlace. This was accomplished using some exceedingly complex geometry. Their creators often (especially on illuminated manuscripts) introduced a deliberate design flaw or left the design unfinished because they considered that only God could produce complete perfection.

Steve

PS:

The word henge means circle - from the description at least it seems that Karahundj is not a circle. Do you notice the holes at the top of each stone? These are what the American ark-hunters would claim indicates that they were stone anchors used in Noah’s ark!

#16 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2000 - 01:59 PM

Interesting thought: Don't you think that traditional national armenian dress (especially for girls) looks like the medival dress of the celts, scottish, irish, english and the whole British Isles in the medeival days??

#17 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2000 - 04:49 PM

http://www.primenet....nley/index.html

On your left you will see some modifications on Armenian eternity symbol and on your right you will see some funny Celtic letters.
If you proceed to the musical site Altramar,not Aghtamar, Pilafhead might recognize his oud.

PS: Bellthecath, I will come back to khachkars issue with "heavy artillery" so be prepared. Of course there is no DIRECT link, otherwise my last name would be McCarthy or something to that effect.

Regards

#18 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2000 - 03:29 PM

Er, sorry again, Gamovar! The symbol is not "a modified Armenian eternity symbol" it is a triskele (the Celtic equivalent of the swastika) which dates back at least 500BC. And the symbol that you think of as an "Armenian eternity symbol" (the so-called Phrygian swastika) is not Armenian in origin. It is actually much older - I have seen it carved on Hittite lions from about 1500BC.

But if you are admitting there is no direct link, then why make the comparison. Like I said, the visual similarity is co-incidental. It is like saying that because minarets and space rockets look similar, the second is connected to the first!

Steve

#19 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2000 - 08:25 AM

Some Pictish and Irish/Celtic cross stones. Ill just post one picture to start with, to see if it works!

The "Aberlemo Stone" is Pictish (north-east Scotland), from the early 8th century AD.

Posted Image

#20 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2000 - 08:34 AM

Two more:

The "Rossie Priory Stone" is also Pictish, from the 8th century.

Posted Image

The North Cross at Ahenny (Ireland) is also from the 8th century.
Posted Image

As you can see, the Irish cross is nothing like any Armenian khatchkar that I have seen. The Pictish stones are much more similar, but the similarity is only visual.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users