Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 08 October 2002 - 04:57 PM

$650K Raised for Pasadena Surp Sarkis Church

Friday(9/27/02) an unprecedented fundraising took place for the construction of the Pasadena Armenian community church. The crowd raised $650,000, of which $200,000 was donated by Sarkis Kitsinian, in the memory of his parents Arshavir and Araxi.

Guests included Bishop Moushegh Mardirossian, Prelacy Executive Council members, Board of Trustees and members of the Pasadena Church as well as the other local, prelacy churches, local gomideh representatives, and the representative of the ARF CC . Over 500 guests attended.

Garo Momjian served as the master of ceremonies for the evening.

The Pasadena board of trustees chairman Sarkis Tatigian, the Pasadena local gomideh representative Nerses Melkonian and Prelacy Executive Council chairman Avo Donoyan congratulated the Pasadena community and greeted those gathered.

Bishop Mardirossian announced the gracious donation of Mr. and Mrs. Sarkis Kitsinian, revealing that his parents-Arshavir and Araxi devoted their entire lives to the Surp Sarkis church in Lebanon. Hence, the new Pasadena church would be named, Surp Sarkis.

In addition to the generous donation by the Kitzinians, Mrs.Ani Patatian pledged $35,000 for the construction of the church's alter.

The Board of Trustees, the Prelacy Council and the leaders of the Pasadena community express their heartfelt thanks and appreciation to those present for their support and kindness.

----------------

Who knew we needed another Church in the LA area. Will someone someday donate not $650,000 but maybe $6,500 to assist some freelance software developer to develop a Armenian Nintendo Game or "Learn to speak Armenian" software. After all (I think) these are more important to us in US than yet another church. I can think of 3(maybe 4) in Glendale and 1 or 2 in Burbank already.

#2 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 05:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Azat:
... to develop a Armenian Nintendo Game or "Learn to speak Armenian" software.

Hey! That's not such a bad idea. But why Nintendo? Those guys are out. It's all about playstation and xbox now.

Funny this should come up since I was thinking just yesterday that I should write an Armenian dictionary (software). There are a couple of free ones online, but the interface software leave a LOT to be desired. I am actually going to port one of them for my ipaq ... I should read the licensing stuff on those to see if I use their database in my port, if it's ok to freely post it on the web. It'll be the first PDA-based Armenian dictionary that I know of!!!!

#3 joseph

joseph

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:SOCCER

Posted 08 October 2002 - 06:29 PM

Sip , I whish you goodluck .

#4 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 06:34 PM

No need LUCK ... need TIME

#5 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 08 October 2002 - 07:03 PM

Sip,
I said Nintendo because it is the only one I have ever owned(the very old one). Although I really want to buy a XBOX, but I am afraid that I might get addicted.

I actually really do believe the software idea for kids. Everyone talks about how to slow down the assimilation and all that while their kids are sitting at home playing Madden Football and Doom. If there was a challenging game like the Mod-X for Armenian history and you had to answer questions after doing lots of research, I think it can teach alot of people alot of things(including me).

BTW: If you ever do your port, can you port it over to Palm as well? Or send me the code and I will port it over to Palm(I will try. it will be my first app on Palm)

#6 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 07:45 PM

Sure ... right now, I have the words from one of the dictionaries converted to XLS (Excel) format (english-armenian, armenian-english). It's not a very big set (less than 10K words) but the data file was easy to get into. (Mod-X style )

I don't know too much about palm ... the main challenge with pocket PC is that I don't think they support fonts ... but I haven't checked into it. So I may have to rely on my "GIF" trick or find a way to use standard windows fonts. I think in this case the GIF trick will work really well.

#7 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 07:46 PM

yes giteyi vro amsi 27in mi ban pataheluya - bayst et vonts gortspv @enka et terternerin bajin hasav xerj spyurqaHayi arri qrtinqov vastakats $$$

xerj mard apsos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users