#1 Aaron

Aaron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:traveling, reading, science

Posted 13 August 2001 - 12:58 PM

To everybody
This topic speaks of probably the greatest danger for the armenians, the fact that diaspora may not prevail (history proves it).
This could almost be considered a question of national security.
Many of us have searched for ways to overcome such a situation, the subject is very 'dak' in everybody's mind and we should discuss it in the most serious and rational way.
Pessimists, optimists, realists and dreamers are invited to share their thoughts and suggestions in the most open way.

#2 Aaron

Aaron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 August 2001 - 01:00 PM

oups
This topic should go under Diaspora
I'm sorry
MJ would you mind changing its place?
Thanks

#3 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts
  • Interests:Theology, Tennis, Jazz, Modern Art, Red Wine

Posted 13 August 2001 - 01:10 PM

There you go.

#4 Armine

Armine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 August 2001 - 11:38 AM

Aaron Jan I have already given my thoughts about this issue

#5 Aaron

Aaron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 August 2001 - 09:46 AM

What about forming a diaspora government-like body that would care about the outside armenians in a professional way.
I think this is inevitable if we want to present our nation as one and united in front of 'odar's.

#6 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 14 August 2001 - 09:55 AM

Aron - when has Armenia ever been one or (politically) united (not any time recently certainly...if ever). If Armenians are so inclined perhaps they can get their money together and buy some poor country - like maybe Botswana - and all hang there and such. Seriously, I think your concerns are somewhat misplaced. If there is something of value in being Armenian it will survive - but you must remember that this identity etc is not a static thing - that it always will reflect the place that people are. Additionally - in the States or Canada - popular culture will draw off a certain percentage into complete assimilation - while others will maintain some ethnic identity as befits their circumstance. If you are worried that the numbers of these folks is/will be insufficient - then I would worry about the ability of Armenian social institutions (like the Church or other more narowly focused Armenian tyopw activities) to change and maintain their relevancy to Armenians in their new setting. Any political or other associations will (perhaps) follow....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users