88 replies to this topic

#1 Gor-Gor

Gor-Gor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:41 PM

BRAVO, C1!

http://www.asbarez.c...0070501_103.htm [Asbarez does not use Unicode font, so I can't copy & paste the article here -- but I'll offer an English translation]

"The "Haylur" program of the Armenian Public TV satellite channel has begun broadcasting the news in Western Armenian, as had already been relayed to us by the channel's news division principal, Haroutioun Haroutiounian.

The news in Western Armenian is being broadcast twice a day, at midnight and 7:30am (Armenian time). This corresponds to 12 noon and 7:30pm for viewers on the west coast of the USA."

I don't have C1, but I want to subscribe just to show my support. Has anyone seen it? I wonder if the person reading the news in WA is actually a repatriate Western Armenian.

This is a more symbolic step than anything else. But it is such a big deal for someone like me, who longs validation from the Republic of Armenia. I'm sure some of the Western Armenians on here know what I mean when I say that. One more step in strengthening the ties between Armenia and the Old Diaspora. Bravo!

Also: Looking at the times it will be broadcast, it's obvious it is a direct appeal to Diaspora viewers.

----- edit -----

More info: http://www.blogrel.c...-haylur-spyurk/

----- edit 2 -----

Here's a capture of the website. Can you tell I'm excited? smile.gif

IPB Image

Edited by Gor-Gor, 01 May 2007 - 07:44 PM.

#2 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:59 PM

Ինչ լաւ բան կընէն-կըր-կըր: smile.gif

Edited by Armenak, 01 May 2007 - 06:59 PM.

#3 Էլիա

Էլիա

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Հայ Լեզուն:

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE(Gor-Gor @ May 1 2007, 05:41 PM) View Post

BRAVO, C1!

http://www.asbarez.c...0070501_103.htm [Asbarez does not use Unicode font, so I can't copy & paste the article here -- but I'll offer an English translation]

"The "Haylur" program of the Armenian Public TV satellite channel has begun broadcasting the news in Western Armenian, as had already been relayed to us by the channel's news division principal, Haroutioun Haroutiounian.

The news in Western Armenian is being broadcast twice a day, at midnight and 7:30am (Armenian time). This corresponds to 12 noon and 7:30pm for viewers on the west coast of the USA."

I don't have C1, but I want to subscribe just to show my support. Has anyone seen it? I wonder if the person reading the news in WA is actually a repatriate Western Armenian.

This is a more symbolic step than anything else. But it is such a big deal for someone like me, who longs validation from the Republic of Armenia. I'm sure some of the Western Armenians on here know what I mean when I say that. One more step in strengthening the ties between Armenia and the Old Diaspora. Bravo!

Also: Looking at the times it will be broadcast, it's obvious it is a direct appeal to Diaspora viewers.

----- edit -----

More info: http://www.blogrel.c...-haylur-spyurk/

Շատ ուրախ եմ որ այս մեծ քայլը առած է որ արեւմտեան հայերէնը բովանդակէ Հայաստանին հայ լեզուին մէջ: smile.gif

#4 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:47 PM

I wrote a lengthy article about the subject but decided to not air it.
GorGor, why are you so rejoiced by this news?
I want to only say this much. Do you know what պոռնիկացում means? It means prostitution.
Does the BBC broadcast in Cockney? Does ABC broadcast in Alabaman American? Does Al Jazeera broadcast in Halabi Arabic? Then why would Yerevan broadcast in Beirutsi Hayeren (?)???
Does anyone who may know a half way decent Armenian, be it eastern, western, northern or southern not understand broadcasts from Yerevan? (with the Russian removed, of course)?
I just envy those of us who may have so much leisure time to talk about “eastern, western, northern, southern, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Arabic/Lebanese and Glendalian ARMENIAN”.

#5 Gor-Gor

Gor-Gor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ May 1 2007, 06:47 PM) View Post

I wrote a lengthy article about the subject but decided to not air it.
GorGor, why are you so rejoiced by this news?
I want to only say this much. Do you know what պոռնիկացում means? It means prostitution.
Does the BBC broadcast in Cockney? Does ABC broadcast in Alabaman American? Does Al Jazeera broadcast in Halabi Arabic? Then why would Yerevan broadcast in Beirutsi Hayeren (?)???
Does anyone who may know a half way decent Armenian, be it eastern, western, northern or southern not understand broadcasts from Yerevan? (with the Russian removed, of course)?
I just envy those of us who may have so much leisure time to talk about “eastern, western, northern, southern, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Arabic/Lebanese and Glendalian ARMENIAN”.

Yes I know what պոռնիկացում or պոռնիկութիւն means. I understand where you are coming from, however, I see this from another angle.

For me, one of my greatest dreams is to see Western Armenian immortalized and perpetuated. It does not look likely to be done anywhere in the Diaspora, and so I would like to see institutions in Armenia take on the task. This news tells me there is hope for my dream's realization.

Second, this news VALIDATES me and the dialect that I speak. It shuts up naysayers who call Western Armenian a vulgar, village dialect. Now, on Armenia's national public television, Western Armenian is being put on the same level as Eastern Armenian.

#6 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE(Gor-Gor @ May 2 2007, 01:57 AM) View Post

Yes I know what պոռնիկացում or պոռնիկութիւն means. I understand where you are coming from, however, I see this from another angle.

For me, one of my greatest dreams is to see Western Armenian immortalized and perpetuated. It does not look likely to be done anywhere in the Diaspora, and so I would like to see institutions in Armenia take on the task. This news tells me there is hope for my dream's realization.

Second, this news VALIDATES me and the dialect that I speak. It shuts up naysayers who call Western Armenian a vulgar, village dialect. Now, on Armenia's national public television, Western Armenian is being put on the same level as Eastern Armenian.

Who is stopping you from speaking whatever dialect you speak at home, be it Tigranakertsi or Heleptsi, but for a national TV to stoop so low as to pander to every regional dialect...? They should consider broadcasting in the Hamshen dialect and see how many they can convert. WE don't need convesrion, we understand every dialect, be it Vanetsi or Vanadzortsi. You mean now Yerevan TV will start using Arabic and Turkish words instead of Russian?

Edited by Arpa, 01 May 2007 - 08:05 PM.

#7 Gor-Gor

Gor-Gor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ May 1 2007, 07:01 PM) View Post

Who is stopping you from speaking whatever dialect you speak at home, be it Tigranakertsi or Heleptsi, but for a national TV to stoop so low as to pander to every regional dialect...? They should consider broadcasting in the Hamshen dialect and see how many they can convert. WE don't need convesrion, we understand every dialect, be it Vanetsi or Vanadzortsi.

Western Armenian is not a regional dialect. It is the second most widely spoken dialect of Armenian. It is one of the 2 main dialects of Armenian. End of story.

BTW: There is no such thing as Halebtsi Western Armenian. That is simply Standard Western Armenian. Unless you meant the nearby Kessabtsi dialect.

#8 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE(Gor-Gor @ May 2 2007, 02:06 AM) View Post

Western Armenian is not a regional dialect. It is the second most widely spoken dialect of Armenian. It is one of the 2 main dialects of Armenian. End of story.

BTW: There is no such thing as Halebtsi Western Armenian. That is simply Standard Western Armenian. Unless you meant the nearby Kessabtsi dialect.

No I mean this Haleptsi-Beirutsi dialect.
http://hyeforum.com/...showtopic=15650
And this dialect;
http://www.voiceofva...ht_khosink.html

Edited by Arpa, 01 May 2007 - 08:26 PM.

#9 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE(Gor-Gor @ May 1 2007, 10:06 PM) View Post

Good point. Also consider this. The very classy Western Armenians existed over 200 plus centuries ago and they were the BolsaHays. They were the cream of the crop of the intellectuals for a while until 1915.

There is indeed two main dialects and before 1915 it was used among the Western part of Armenians. That is more than 3 million Armenians were speaking Western Armenian.

#10 Gor-Gor

Gor-Gor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE(Anahid Takouhi @ May 1 2007, 07:11 PM) View Post

Good point. Also consider this. The very classy Western Armenians existed over 200 plus centuries ago and they were the BolsaHays. They were the cream of the crop of the intellectuals for a while until 1915.

There is indeed two main dialects and before 1915 it was used among the Western part of Armenians. That is more than 3 million Armenians were speaking Western Armenian.

Forget even 200 years ago? What about today? There are about 1 million speakers of Western Armenian today. Like I said, it is the #2 dialect behind standard Eastern Armenian -- even today.

QUOTE(Arpa @ May 1 2007, 07:10 PM) View Post

No I mean this Haleptsi-Beirutsi dialect.

Please refrain from calling it the "Halebtsi-Beirutsi" dialect. Its proper name is Standard Western Armenian, as used by the Catholicosate of The Great House of Cilicia, its schools and its churches. Don't relegate Western Armenian's status to that of a peasant, village dialect.

Edited by Gor-Gor, 01 May 2007 - 08:25 PM.

#11 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:29 PM

You sound like it's a whole other language discriminated against by a majority.

It's Armenian man! FIN!

And who said it isn't "appreciated"?

When are we going to stop identifying ourself based on our differences rather than our similarities?*

*I hate the fact that I used that. "Similarity" is something common between two or more DIFFERENT things. I don't really consider me, you, x-a-hye and y-a-hye "different things".

Edited by Zartonk, 01 May 2007 - 08:31 PM.

#12 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE(Gor-Gor @ May 2 2007, 02:23 AM) View Post

Forget even 200 years ago? What about today? There are about 1 million speakers of Western Armenian today. Like I said, it is the #2 dialect behind standard Eastern Armenian -- even today.
Please refrain from calling it the "Halebtsi-Beirutsi" dialect. Its proper name is Standard Western Armenian, as used by the Catholicosate of The Great House of Cilicia, its schools and its churches. Don't relegate Western Armenian's status to that of a peasant, village dialect.

How many Haleptsi-Beirutsi you know that speaks like he Catholicos, that is besides you, me and Johannes?
Is that why the above radio program (Hayeren@ Jisht Khosinq) was created? Is it making fun of how the Catholicos speaks?
I personally know what I am talking about when a second generation amerikatsi, 3rd generation,haleptsi said- “Doktor@ indzi habbener tvav, polrn al netetsi, payts jareh chrav”. It took me a while to understand what he was saying, that he “threw“ the pills?. Even though most of the words used were kind of Armenian, the idiom was a direct translation from Turkish. When he said he “netetsi” a direct translation from Turkish “att@m” he meant took/swallowed. In other words, unless one knowTurkish and Arabic one cannot understand the Beirutsi/Haleptsi “dilaect”, just like those who don‘t know Russian will have a hard time with Yerevan Armenian.

Edited by Arpa, 01 May 2007 - 08:47 PM.

#13 Gor-Gor

Gor-Gor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ May 1 2007, 07:32 PM) View Post

How many Haleptsi-Beirutsi you know that speaks like he Catholicos, that is besides you, me and Johannes?
Is that why the above radio program (Hayeren@ Jisht Khosinq) was created? Is it making fun of how the Catholicos speaks?

How is that relevant to this discussion?

#14 Gor-Gor

Gor-Gor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE(Zartonk @ May 1 2007, 07:29 PM) View Post

You sound like it's a whole other language discriminated against by a majority.

It's Armenian man! FIN!

And who said it isn't "appreciated"?

When are we going to stop identifying ourself based on our differences rather than our similarities?*

*I hate the fact that I used that. "Similarity" is something common between two or more DIFFERENT things. I don't really consider me, you, x-a-hye and y-a-hye "different things".

I don't see what's so horrible about wanting my native dialect to be preserved and propogated. I feel very passionately about this because it is because of the Genocide that Western Armenian was relegated to the 4 corners of the globe. It is not the official language of any state, and so it has no protection from extinction. What's wrong with me wanting to see that it continues to live?

I have nothing nothing nothing NOTHING against Eastern Armenian. I read it every day (online news sites) and I understand it well. I can even speak it, if compelled. I see Armenians as one ethnicity, one people. But that does not stop me from wanting to see the Western Armenian dialect -- with its rich heritage -- continue to live.

#15 Էլիա

Էլիա

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Հայ Լեզուն:

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE(Gor-Gor @ May 1 2007, 07:40 PM) View Post

I don't see what's so horrible about wanting my native dialect to be preserved and propogated. I feel very passionately about this because it is because of the Genocide that Western Armenian was relegated to the 4 corners of the globe. It is not the official language of any state, and so it has no protection from extinction. What's wrong with me wanting to see that it continues to live?

I have nothing nothing nothing NOTHING against Eastern Armenian. I read it every day (online news sites) and I understand it well. I can even speak it, if compelled. I see Armenians as one ethnicity, one people. But that does not stop me from wanting to see the Western Armenian dialect -- with its rich heritage -- continue to live.

Ya, what's the big deal if a news program broadcasts the 2nd largest dialect of Armenian? I always think that anything Armenian, including newspapers, news channels..., should have the other dialect's counterpart or something.

#16 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE(Էլիա @ May 2 2007, 02:46 AM) View Post

Ya, what's the big deal if a news program broadcasts the 2nd largest dialect of Armenian? I always think that anything Armenian, including newspapers, news channels..., should have the other dialect's counterpart or something.

Yeah right!
How about brodcasts with the third largest dialect like Boston Armenian??
Is this any way to unite us or to mainatin enhance the division?
Maybe you guys are right. When we reconquer Western Armenia, and crowm Aram I as king we can declare WA as the official language.
Do those programs open with ՓԱՐԷՒ /Parev and ՓԱՐԻ ԼՈՅՍ/Pari luys, or do th open with highly educated and sophisticated ԸՆՏԻՐ ՀԱՅԵՐԷՆ,"ՈՒՐԵՄՆ ԱՅՍՕՐ"?

Edited by Arpa, 01 May 2007 - 09:00 PM.

#17 Gor-Gor

Gor-Gor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ May 1 2007, 07:49 PM) View Post

Yeah right!
How about brodcasts with the third largest dialect like Boston Armenian??
Is this any way to unite us or to mainatin enhance the division?
Maybe you guys are right. When we reconquer Western Armenia, and crowm Aram I as king we can declare WA as the official language.

Right, because that's the same.

#18 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:20 PM

Gor-Gor, many intellectuals in Armenia have validated WA in the past. For example, Dora Sakayan, who emigrated to the Armenian SSR from Greece, has prepared this textbook: http://www.narek.com...o...at=0&page=1

#19 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE(Armenak @ May 2 2007, 03:20 AM) View Post

Gor-Gor, many intellectuals in Armenia have validated WA in the past. For example, Dora Sakayan, who emigrated to the Armenian SSR from Greece, has prepared this textbook: http://www.narek.com...o...at=0&page=1

Yeah right! A few weaks ago I was at a place where there were two 2 year olds who are just learning to speak and their aunt was teaching the ԱՅՓ ՓԵՆ ՔԻՄ ԹԱ. I could not hold it anymore, I had to say something as to why are we teaching our children AYP PEN QIM TA instead of Ayb Ben Gim Da. Of course there were people there who would have hanged me if they had long enough rope. Many of us may have passed that stage, but it may be time to teach our children correct phonetics. Does not matter if we "goudem gor/koutem kor" as long as we pronounce the consonnants as Mashtots meant them.

Edited by Arpa, 01 May 2007 - 09:32 PM.

#20 Gor-Gor

Gor-Gor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE(Armenak @ May 1 2007, 08:27 PM) View Post

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I'd classify her as "an intellectual in Armenia" though since she was a repatriate, and especially if her mother tongue in Greece was the Western dialect.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I am sure there are many intellectuals in Armenia who consider Western Armenian the one and only equal to Eastern Armenian. I would just like to see this view spread, and embraced, and publicized.

QUOTE(Arpa @ May 1 2007, 08:27 PM) View Post

Yeah right! A few weaks ago I was at a place where there were two 2 year olds who are just learning to speak and their aunt was teaching the ԱՅՓ ՓԵՆ ՔԻՄ ԹԱ. I could not hold it anymore, I had to say something as to why are we teaching our children AYP PEN QIM TA instead of Ayb Ben Gim Da. Of course there were people there who would have hanged me if they had long enough rope. Many of us may have passed that stage, but it may be time to teach our children correct phonetics. Does not matter if we "goudem gor/koutem kor" as long as we pronounce the consonnants as Mashtots meant them.

What does this have to do with Armenak's post?

Edited by Gor-Gor, 01 May 2007 - 09:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users