22 replies to this topic

#1 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:07 AM

Could minority with oppressed background find inner security by inventing much superior image of themselves as “Chosen People” their own version of god, religious literature heavily barrowed from Assyrians, Egyptians etc. The answer is yes however isn’t any nation, people create myths to make themselves special and superior? Feel free to discuss but I am not interested in cheap "I hate the Jews crap" but rather learn something new.

#2 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:50 AM

Armat jan, in my opinion, the notion "chosen people" has a more generic meaning than what Jews typically interpret as simply being a Jew. "Chosen" means chosen by God to be His servant, in other words to be a spiritual person. So anyone in the world can be a chose person, and any people can be a chosen people.

#3 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Jun 27 2005, 09:50 AM)
Armat jan, in my opinion, the notion "chosen people" has a more generic meaning than what Jews typically interpret as simply being a Jew. "Chosen" means chosen by God to be His servant, in other words to be a spiritual person. So anyone in the world can be a chose person, and any people can be a chosen people.

That is very refreshing point of view.Kudos to you.

#4 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:14 PM

The above makes me think……

I don’t know of any other Nation then Armenians, who have endured so much pain, lived true out suffering and had to struggle true course of there history for just there existence, yet we are still here, does it make us the chosen ones?

#5 armjan

armjan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (Edward @ Jun 27 2005, 06:14 PM)
The above makes me think……

I don’t know of any other Nation then Armenians, who have endured so much pain, lived true out suffering and had to struggle true course of there history for just there existence, yet we are still here, does it make us the chosen ones?

the jews make a similar arguement

#6 phantom22

phantom22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:54 PM

Armenians and Jews are in a class by themselves, when it comes to suffering. There is more to this than meets the eye. It is part of the greater scheme of things.

#7 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 11:09 PM

Just few quick comments.

As far as I know Judaism presupposes being 'chosen'. In other words, one's spirituality has nothing to do with his/her being chosen unless of course he/she follows Judaism.

Suffering has different meanings among different branches of Christianity. For Catholics it exemplifies closeness to God. There were few self-punishment techniques 'invented' by the Inquisition (that is if you believe that Inquisition was Catholic).

Protestants generally view the suffering as a weakness and abandonment of God. That is in sheer contrast with Oriental Orthodox (Byzantine and Apostolic). Suffering is seen by some Protestants as punishment by God for the human sins; while Orthodox views it as trial and a form of choosiness (suffering in the world of the Satan is a protest against evil).

#8 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 02:29 PM

Who cares, people are who they are. What identity they are born into is fun, but it gets boring after a certain point when they or others harp on it too much.
I read somewhere that Serbian religio-nationalists wrote verses such as "God is a Serb and his angels are Serbs." So indeed these feelings of magnanimity, if that is what they are, ought to be a common phenomenon.
I do agree that every nation that feels threatened or has felt or has been threatened in the past tailors something for their precise needs. That reminds me, people usually say Armenians must be the only nation to "celebrate" a defeat, namely Avarayr. The only, the chosen, etc... But then there is also Vidovdan where Serbs commemorate their defeat in the Battle of Kossovo.

#9 armjan

armjan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE (Stormig @ Jun 28 2005, 12:29 PM)
Who cares, people are who they are. What identity they are born into is fun, but it gets boring after a certain point when they or others harp on it too much.
I read somewhere that Serbian religio-nationalists wrote verses such as "God is a Serb and his angels are Serbs." So indeed these feelings of magnanimity, if that is what they are, ought to be a common phenomenon.
I do agree that every nation that feels threatened or has felt or has been threatened in the past tailors something for their precise needs. That reminds me, people usually say Armenians must be the only nation to "celebrate" a defeat, namely Avarayr. The only, the chosen, etc... But then there is also Vidovdan where Serbs commemorate their defeat in the Battle of Kossovo.

nice to see you again storming.

#10 Djrak

Djrak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:20 AM

QUOTE (Stormig @ Jun 28 2005, 02:29 PM)

no, no, NO, God is armenian, you should know that huh.gif mad.gif

that's how it is with armenians, we either avoid that question or just plainly think we are a "chosen people" you know.. Noah's arc landed on Ararat, and all of that, i tell you 1 thing thow: we are special, in the sense that we had a lot of martyrs who died not to abandon their faith, and that is the only thing that can make me proud as an armenian, the rest is just puffed-up sasountsiTavit-superhero-hay-katcher-tashnagtsagan-pride BS.

#11 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE (Djrak @ Jun 29 2005, 03:20 AM)
no, no, NO, God is armenian, you should know that  huh.gif  mad.gif

that's how it is with armenians, we either avoid that question or just plainly think we are a "chosen people" you know.. Noah's arc landed on Ararat, and all of that, i tell you 1 thing thow: we are special, in the sense that we had a lot of martyrs who died not to abandon their faith, and that is the only thing that can make me proud as an armenian, the rest is just puffed-up sasountsiTavit-superhero-hay-katcher-tashnagtsagan-pride BS.

I don't know how this topic got twisted into Armenians being chosen etc.

#12 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:41 AM

If I am not mistaken we Armenians don’t celebrate Avarayr as a celebration, we acknowledge the sacrifices our ancestors done so we can be who we are instead of another perished and gone civilizations.
Analogy is more a kin to remembering a dead parent. It is not celebrating but remembering and respecting.

#13 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:05 PM

The correct word is commemorating, as I used in the next sentence. "Celebrate" is a word others use, out of ignorance or other.

#14 Djrak

Djrak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:03 AM

hey Stormig it's "je ne sais pas" not "je sais pas"
do you know as little about armenians as you do french?

#15 lunaclover

lunaclover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 01:57 PM

actually if you speak french you leave the first 'ne' off very often. The meaning is conveyed with the pas, jamais, plus, etc that follows. How pompous to criticize somebody with knowledge you are only pretending to have, when they are actually right. you end up looking like a complete fool/asshole. nobody likes people like you.

Edited by Edward, 08 July 2005 - 12:12 AM.

#16 Djrak

Djrak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE (lunaclover @ Jul 7 2005, 01:57 PM)
QUOTE (Djrak @ Jun 30 2005, 05:03 AM)

actually if you speak french you leave the first 'ne' off very often. The meaning is conveyed with the pas, jamais, plus, etc that follows.

no you dont, it might sound like you do, but it's still there

How pompous to criticize somebody with knowledge you are only pretending to have, when they are actually right.  you end up looking like a complete fool/asshole.  nobody likes people like you.

and they like people like you?

Edited by Djrak, 08 July 2005 - 12:08 AM.

#17 Djrak

Djrak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:11 AM

Who cares

i do

#18 Med

Med

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:14 AM

Hi Lunaclover or Stormig to put it correctly. Why create another account in order to answer someone. Isn't that a little bit cowardly? Why would anyone's first post be about something like this?

Strange indeed. smile.gif

#19 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:55 PM

Talk about overkill.
My dear Med, so much you can tell! If only you could also tell how much easier it is to remind people such as yourself or cherished Djrak that last time I checked this thread had a topic more or less appropriate and wasn't about me or you, how much Eskimo I knew, or what Djrak personally thought about caring for Jews, than to register another account. Why do people have to take things so personally, get so personal, or take themselves or their supposed talents (such as at blowing covers) so seriously? rolleyes.gif
As for fake ID's, don't you make me laugh! I have one account at Hye Forum that I can account for, but I could also have many. What could you do about it? If I wanted it, both technically and in terms of presentation, not a soul would be able to tell, least of all your self-assured self. smile.gif I could have you agreeing and disagreeing with the same person and could be laughing my arse off about the gullibility. (Sorry, didn't wish to advertise myself.)
But my swifter days are left behind me, so I drop in every now and then only and entertaining myself with idiots is a luxury. Thank goodness that more often than not I don't have to make an effort to be amused.

#20 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:38 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users