40 replies to this topic

#41 nairakev

nairakev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 09 June 2001 - 07:37 PM

Ok, I step into your game.

For me being Armenian actually has 2 scales.

1st scale:
First is when I was Armenian leaving in Armenia. I went to a Russian school, so! I wasn't good in speaking Armenian. I spoke Russian with my mother and father at home. The first letters that I've learned were not Armenian but Cyrilic.
When you leave in Armenia you feel a part of that huge mass of population predominately stuck into 'strange' and 'made up' traditions, which as individual I never accepted.
I grew up in a family which was not religious at all. But we did follow some religious traditions like "matagh", "knounk", "zatik", "psak".
My granma (father's mom) was an orphan who survived the genocide and grew up in Leninakan's american orphanage. She was illiterate but very religious (not surprising). So each saterday someone from our family should have accompanied her to Sourb Sarkis for her a saturday service. When I was a bit older (16, LOL ...) my turn came and I had to accompany my granma for her sunday morning visits.
Actually, this was my all armenianism. The rest was like many young people do. I loved Dostoevski, Kafka, Chechov, Balzac and even Dumas. I weared clothes according to the modern tendencies(jeans, T-shirts, or mini-jupes). I was listening Eric Clapton, Beatles or Madonna. I was making love with whom I wanted, but the way nobody knew it.
And honestly I hated to be an Armenian in Armenia. I loved my friends. I loved them a lot. But now most of them are spread all over the world. Most of my friends were Armenians, but I had also a friends who was jewish, an assirian, few yezid friends, a german and many russians.
I loved the Spendiarov's Opera House I loved concerts of Philarmonic playing Khachatourian. I loved some armenian bard singers (no "rabiz" please).

I didn't really realise that I'm armenian. Because I could see Ararat from my appartement (and I didn't care if it was in Turkey). I enjoyed hinking and camping in mountains with students in Dilijan.
I was a citizen of Armenia from armenian parents with mixed background (russian, arab, german, armenian). I was 100% Armenian.

2nd scale
It's when I was outside of Armenia. This is when I felt myself more "world" citizen than Armenian.

Whereever I went or I settled I had to learn the local language, the local traditions, the local laws and the local mentality. And I had to say to evryone what my origins are. Because people were often curious.

I could hide my origin, because in some languages I did some progress (not in English helas) and it was easy just to say I'm one of yours. Espeacially when you sympathise them.

But I said the truth. Why?
Because I was proud of being Armenian.
What is it for me being proud of that.
(I skip the whole story about the christianity, the genocide, the rich and "IMPORTANT" history and inventors of color TV)
I was proud because I've learned the local language, because I've studied local traditions, because I was trying always to be the best at my work and in my studies and to be a good friend with those who I do sympathise.
Never try to differ who is black who is red, who is inferior or superior bulshit.
Never refuse an invitation. I've tried to do ramazan with my moslim freinds. I didn't become moslim. I've never been christian.
And the funniest thing is that when people knew about my origins they asked me often if I do have Armenian friends or if I go to Armenian Church. My answer was often "no".
Not because I didn't have Armenian friends, I just don't make friends because they are Armenians. And I'm not going certainly to make friends in Armenian Church.

To be brief:
What is Armenian for me?
1. To be the best in any adventure (work, study) - a healthy feel for competition. To be the best but not at any price. Catch the reminder, please!

2. To be curious. Discover people, cultures, sciences. To take the most interesting out of life by taking and sharing.

3. To be tolerant. Do not quit doubting. When someone says to me this is bad. First question "Why?"

4. To be a "world" citizen. Care about environment, no matter where you leave. Being a world citizen is important for me, that's why I'm saying I cannot stand for mono-etnic protectionist societies.

5. To be contributive. By leaving your everyday life, do not forget to innovate and bring something new and better to the whole human society, not for Armenians only

-----------
I miss Armenian mountains, water, drinks, friends and my family. But I want to be a part of the world.

So, I guess I'll be 2nd scale Armenian.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users