- - - - -

Whose homeland is Armenia?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2001 - 06:30 PM

I think this article answer some of the questions raised in this thread.

This year Armenia celebrates two epochal events: the 1700th anniversary of the adoption of Christianity as the state religion, and the tenth anniversary of Armenia’s independence from the Soviet Union.. Special events celebrating the double anniversaries will take place throughout the year 2001, culminating on September 21. Having an Armenian Special Passport will greatly facilitate your travel to Armenia for attending the celebrations in Yerevan as well as for your trips to Armenia in the future.
The Law on Legal Status of Foreign Citizens in the Republic of Armenia, enacted in 1994, allows foreign citizens to receive a Special Residency Status in the Republic of Armenia. The Special Residency Status is granted by the President of Armenia to the foreign citizens to receive a Special Residency Status in the Republic of Armenian. The Special Residency Status is granted by the President of Armenia to foreign citizens of Armenian ancestry and other distinguished individuals, who have provided significant services to the Armenian nation/or are engaged in economic and cultural activities in Armenia. The Special Residency Status is granted for a ten-year term and may be extended upon request.

Those granted Special Residency Status will be issued Special Armenian Passports and will no longer be required to obtain entry visas for traveling to Armenia. They will enjoy the full protection of the Armenian law, as well as the rights and obligations of Armenian citizens, except for the right to vote and run for office, enroll in political organizations, and the right to own land (the holder of Special Passport may own all other types of property or lease the land). They will be exempt from military service in the Armenian National Army.

The survivors of the Armenian Genocide are granted Special Passports through a facilitated procedure, and the application fee is waived.

The Armenian genocide has recently taken steps to improve the business environment in Armenia. In particular, the Armenian Tax Code was overhauled, and the Personal Income Tax, the Profit Tax, and the payroll taxes have been reduced. Together with the commitment of the Armenian authorities to attract and assist foreign investment, the new requirements will help to cultivate a favorable environment for businesses in Armenia. Armenian-American businessmen are encouraged to take this opportunity to contribute to the economic growth in Armenia, and facilitate closer ties between Diaspora Armenians and their historic homeland. Receiving a Special Armenian Passport will greatly assist those who are interested in pursuing business interests in Armenia.

“The important steps of the Armenian government provide a logical link to tie Diaspora Armenians to their homeland, by giving them a real opportunity to be actively involved in the social, economic and cultural life in Armenia”, said Armenia’s Ambassador to the United States, Dr. Arman Kirakossian.

For more detailed information and application forms, please call the Embassy of the Republic of Armenia at (202) 319-2983, (202) 319-1976, or Consulate General in Beverly Hills, CA at (310) 657-6102.

#22 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2001 - 06:40 PM

Surorus,

It says "The Armenian genocide has recently taken steps to improve the business environment in Armenia."

I presume it meant to be " The Armenian government has recently taken steps to improve the business environment in Armenia. "

#23 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2001 - 09:06 PM

MJ,

You are right, it is a typo. I have just copied and paste it from www.asbarez.com
I guess they have typed the word genocide so many times that it became a reflex.

#24 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2001 - 11:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by alpha:

Dual-citizenship is existent in Israel, why can’t it be enforced in Armenia.

Alpha,

I was glancing your last message, and felt adding that there are a lot of things, which Israel can afford doing but Armenia cannot.

#25 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2001 - 12:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alpha:
Lets consider this hypothetical situation; if there is a war between the country that you are citizen and Armenia, what side would you guys support. Legally you are obligated to support the country whose citizen you are.

Pilaf, is it really an incredible question? You mean you have never given it a thought? This was like the first thing I was asked by people when I became a US citizen.

MJ, why would you leave it unanswered? Is it really that hard of a dilemma?

This is how I see it: citizenship is acquired, nationality is not. Your citizenship can be taken away anytime but nobody can deprive you of your nationality. Which one obligates you more? Which one is closer to your heart and soul? Which one are you willing to defend?

A

[This message has been edited by Sulamita (edited January 29, 2001).]

#26 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2001 - 04:35 AM

Dear Sulamita, when you acquire citizenship, you pledge to be a loyal citizen, including to defend the country of your citizenship. And when you do it having a deep conviction to your nation in your heart, you count on the impossibility of the war between the two nations.

Now, if one pledges loyalty half-heartedly, for the sake of the benefits which come with it, that person should be a dishonest one, softly speaking.

For me, personally, I love both Armenia and the USA, and when or if needed, I will fight for both of them. And I am very comfortable with the fact that the war between my two countries is excluded.

#27 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2001 - 08:01 AM

MJ, consider the allies, pro- and anti-, balances, devide and rule, reional interests, and it will not be that simple.

#28 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2001 - 09:50 AM

Berj, I think nothing is simple. If anything was simple, we would've found the solutions long time ago, and there would've been no need for arguments. But artificial complexities don't help the situation, either. Enough of natural ones.

I think it is very important to find that Golden Average of realistic assessments.

#29 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2001 - 10:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sulamita:
Pilaf, is it really an incredible question? You mean you have never given it a thought?

No, I'm embarassed to say I haven't. Remember my grandparents were born here, so my family is very detached from the country of Armenia. I'm not sure my great-grandparents ever even went there (although at one point when my grandfather was little, they moved from New York to Beruit with the intention of then moving to Armenia).

I'm American first and foremost, but I woudln't support the US in a war against Armenia. It would be this huge bully against a small country. As much as I was against Iraq's invasion of Kuwait, I realized the whole thing was a war for the oil companies and pathetic. What kind of US victory was that? The Iraqi solders were ill-equipped, ill-trained and sitting ducks in a flat desert.

#30 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2001 - 11:28 AM

I will tell you a family story although it’s a little bit off the topic here.
My maternal grandfather of blessed memory was enrolled in Bulgarian Tzar military academy in 1935. On graduation day in 1939 his chief military instructor, in front of all of his colleagues, military and civilian dignitaries and the Tzar himself, asked him a very personal and embarrassing question. He said:
- I know that Bulgarians and Armenians are brotherly nations, we share a lot in common, historically culturally etc., but lets suppose for a moment that Bulgaria and Armenia are adversaries in a war, what would you do?
My grandfhater without any hesitation responded that in that case he would join his Armenian brothers against his Bulgarian fellows.
The colonel turned around and said:
- I wish we had more officers like you!

He served in the Bulgarian Tzar army as a high-ranking officer until 1945.

#31 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2001 - 02:26 PM

If I was the colonel you're describing, I'd shoot your grandfather (nothing personal). In theory, at the moment he uttered those words, your grandfather became a deserter. Think about it rationally, you'll see my point. No colonel needs a deserter in his army. I wouldn't want one in mine.

As to the question what side I'd support/ fight on...ya'all can probably guess my answer

#32 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2001 - 04:59 PM

Gayane, I disagree with you. Actually, I think the commander has been a pretty smart guy, and he had understood that straight people like Gamavor's grandfather are the most reliable people. You know in advance, as a commander, what you can expect from them, and how far you can push them. You also know that they are brave people. You also know that if they shoot at you, they do it in your face, not from your back. What else did the commander need, especially given that his question was hypothetical. What he needed was a reliable and brave officer in practice, not in theory.

#33 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2001 - 06:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MJ:
Now, if one pledges loyalty half-heartedly, for the sake of the benefits which come with it, that person should be a dishonest one, softly speaking.

OK, then I guess I am a "dishonest US Citizen" ... but I prefer that over being a traitor to MY country.

A

#34 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2001 - 07:11 PM

Sulamita?

#35 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2001 - 10:20 PM

I was Born Armenian - I'm a Diaspora Armenian Now - And if I Must Die - I will Die Armenian And for Armenia !!!

Nat all of us are going to fill the same way-
I did not left Armenia I left the regime and the Government in 1988 -( Husov em Shutov ) - whan all the Coyotes and Hyenas vanish from the mother Land - I will go back - I have nothing hear - This country hes nothing for me -
Axer es yerkrum Horovel Chka
Axer Iys Yerkrum HAyrener chkan

I was Born Armenian - I'm a Diaspora Armenian Now - And if I Must Die - I will Die Armenian And for Armenia !!!

#36 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2001 - 12:26 PM

MosJan, I think you would do a better job if you live for Armenia, rather than die

#37 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2001 - 02:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MJ:
Sulamita?

Sul ...
Sulami ...
Sulamita ...

Ayo?

#38 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2001 - 02:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sulamita:
Sul ...
Sulami ...
Sulamita ...

Ayo?

"Gnatsi mardi, unets vordi, anune Kikos, gdake popoz, ver elav tsarin, var @nkav karin, Vai Kikos jun, vai vordi jun..."

I feel tempted to post here the entire "Kikosi mah@."

#39 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2001 - 05:33 AM

MosJan, aragh@ pahi...

#40 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2001 - 05:06 PM

Haziv Hanel em mejter - hima el Pahem - Chek xmum mi xmek -

Torel ek indz menak Tshnamineri dem - > _/ < - Vochnchatsnum em hertov mek mek -
Armenia Horr@ Yerkir@ TSov@ Sasun Mushn u Van@ HAykakan Horrr@

[This message has been edited by MosJan (edited January 31, 2001).]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users