65 replies to this topic

#41 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:24 AM

Dual Personality: Can divided loyalties provide the key to a united nation?

By Julia Hakobyan

ArmeniaNow reporter

The controversial draft law on dual citizenship passed in the first reading earlier this week in the Armenian National Assembly was during the second reading followed by discords between the two ruling parties – the Republican party and Armenian Revolutionary Federation (Dashnaktsutyun).

During the debates over the draft law the ruling Republican Party pressed on amendments to the draft law to ensure that those with dual citizenship could only exercise voting rights by having resided in Armenia for at least one of the previous five years.

“Armenia survived thanks to the people who stayed in the country and it was unjust to offer equal conditions to those living inside and outside the republic”, said the Speaker of Parliament, Tigran Torosyan.

However, the proposed amendments were rejected, and the voting was postponed until next Monday when the new session starts.

Hrair Karapetyan, the head of the (Dashnaktsuytyun) faction in parliament said that the law had been long discussed and should be passed swiftly by Parliament to give Diaspora Armenians a chance to participate in elections.

“This law is extremely important as it allows the strengthening of ties with the Diaspora, will encourage an increase in population, and promote investments. If Diaspora Armenians are also citizens of the Republic of Armenia they should have the rights and obligations envisaged for the citizens of Republic of Armenia,” he said.

Six deputies voted against and sixty four for the bill in the first reading strongly criticized by the opposition who in its turn claim that the main political beneficiary of the dual citizenship will be the coutnry’s leadership. Arshak Sadoyan, the Chairman of the National Democratic Union, claimed the law would give fresh opportunities for leadership to falsify results in future elections.

“Our party is for the idea of dual citizenship to involve Diaspora Armenians in the life of the country but not for the law in the way it is now,” Sadoyan told ArmeniaNow. “Several provisions in the Bill are made to provide a reserve of votes from a non-existent electorate.”

Opponents of the Bill are particularly unhappy about a provision allowing persons with dual citizenship to be appointed government ministers. The Bill is also vague on issues of military service, reasons for refusing a citizenship application, and the particular government bodies that will control the procedure.

The bill passed in the first reading envisages to establish procedures allowing Diaspora Armenians and other foreigners to acquire citizenship of the Republic of Armenia.

The initiative to create dual citizenship procedures has been on the political agenda since 2005 when a ban was lifted in Armenia’s controversial referendum on reforming the Constitution.

Advocates of the law claim that it will create potential for pan-Armenian solidarity, allowing the Diaspora of seven million people to become a part of the country’s life.

Armenia’s Foreign Minister Vardan Oskanyan, himself originally from Syria, called the dual citizenship arrangement a way of addressing the historical injustice that has divided the nation.

However, critics fear that the law will allow foreign residents to influence Armenia’s domestic and political development without consequence for themselves. They also worry that it will encourage further migration of Armenian citizens, who could now legally hold a passport of another state without threatening their Armenian citizenship.

In fact, thousands of Armenians (mostly residing in Russia) already illegally possess two passports. They make use of the most appropriate documents for different procedures – whether starting a business or getting medical treatment in Russia, or owning land in Armenia. The concern among opponents of the law is that, since Armenians can legally be citizens of two countries, migration will increase as they choose to do business in Armenia while living abroad.

Amendments to the bill passed in the first reading envisage three categories of people eligible to apply for dual citizenship. The first group embraces citizens of foreign states of full legal age who have lived in Armenia for the last three years, know the Armenian language and basics of Constitution.

Foreign citizens married to citizens of Armenia or who have a child that is a citizen of Armenia form the second group. The third group includes persons who either were previously citizens of Armenia or who were born in Armenia.

Stepan Safaryan, a senior analyst at the Armenian Center for National and International Studies, says that dual citizenship is a two-way process.

“The law can be viewed either as a risk for the country or an opportunity and it depends which law is adopted,” says Safaryan. “A law that affects practically all spheres in the country’s life should not be adopted hastily.

“The Armenian public does not possess information about the reform. The concept of dual citizenship needs huge research and the law should give a clear picture of the procedures, rights and obligations involved to reduce any risks of placing the country in a state of constant migration and security problems.”

#42 Error 404

Error 404

ERROR 404

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 01:20 PM

I think this is a big victory towards the democracy. Now a real patriot who was educated and raised with western civilized values can go to Armenia and participate to the elections as voter or as a candidate(I guess with certain preconditions).

This will mark the start of the migration of politically mature and experienced human recourses to our homeland. People with real skills and free from corruption will lead the country towards the commonwealth. Armenia must cooperate and consider the opinion of diaspora and vice versa. It will only benefit from that cooperation.

Great Decision!

#43 hosank

hosank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:39 PM

true...

obviously armenia survived because of the armenians in armenia, but we cannot just throw away the fact that armenia primarely survived because of the armenians in the diaspora

#44 Lev7

Lev7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:42 PM

Armenia + Diaspora united = worst enemy for Turks

#45 Aratta-Kingdom

Aratta-Kingdom

www.ArmaniKingdom.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:06 PM

I like this dual citizenship idea. The Armenian youth from N. America can now do more for Armenia.

PRESS RELEASE
Advocates for Armenia

P.O.Box 250771
New York, NY 10025

Email: tamar@advocatesforarmenia.org
http://www.advocatesforarmenia.org/
Tel: 781.913.7617

Over 180 Armenian Students Gather to Discuss Their Role in Armenia's
Development

February 13, 2007
New York, NY

Over 180 Armenian students from 67 universities across United States
and Canada convened at Columbia University on February 3rd and 4th to
define their role in the development of Armenia. This summit of
Armenian students, titled "Armenia's Development: The Students' Role"
was organized by the Armenian Club of Columbia University and
Advocates for Armenia group. It was sponsored by the Armenian Center
at Columbia University and Armenian General Benevolent Union.

The purpose of this ground-breaking event was to empower young
Armenians to effect positive change in Armenia today. The two-day
meeting featured presentations by prominent figures in the developing
fields of business, information technology, health, law, and
education. These presentations were followed by intense working
sessions during which student participants worked with one another and
experts to formulate innovative ideas for specific, small-scale
projects to be implemented in Armenia within the next two years. At
the conclusion of the summit, the students had combined their
innovative ideas with the knowledge and expertise of the guest experts
to produce seven highly promising projects proposals. Advocates for
Armenia has committed to aiding in the implementation of these
projects primarily through the coordination of partnerships with
groups in Armenia and funding organizations in the Diaspora.

Levon Bagramian, chair of the summit's organizing committee, reflected
on what the future has in store. "With this summit we began turning
the attention of the Diasporan student body to Armenia's development
challenges. We have much more to do. If Armenia is to become a
prosperous, democratic country that is home to all Armenians, then we
in the Diaspora have plenty more to do to help her to get to that
stage quicker. Expect more from us."

Advocates for Armenia is a group of Armenian-Americans attempting to
increase the attention of the Diaspora of the United States towards
Armenia's development challenges. It will cooperate and partner with
any Diasporan group that believes that more attention is due in
matters of Armenia's development.

#46 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:21 PM

PRESIDENT APPROVES LAW ON DUAL CITIZENSHIP

President Robert Kocharyan signed laws on making amendments in the Election Code, on Criminal and Administrative Offence, on Military Service and on RA Citizenship, president press services report.

The law on making amendments in the Law on Citizenship approves dual citizenship.

Source: Panorama.am

#47 15levels

15levels

Fix the heart with work of art

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:too many

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:42 AM

Does it mean if i was born in Armenia (lost citizenship when immigrated in 1993).. I can apply for Armenian passport? Anyone can tell me if there is any official information on how to do that???

#48 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE(15levels @ Mar 13 2007, 11:42 AM) View Post

Does it mean if i was born in Armenia (lost citizenship when immigrated in 1993).. I can apply for Armenian passport? Anyone can tell me if there is any official information on how to do that???

15levels:

Perhaps you can e-mail and contact the RofA yourself for your question as no one seems to know in here, otherwise they would've answered you.

#49 Proud EXPAT

Proud EXPAT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE(15levels @ Mar 13 2007, 09:42 AM) View Post

Ruben you could have always applied for an Armenian passport (a special residency passport that is).

I'm assuming you mean becoming a dual citizenship. Although the details aren't out yet it's sort of obvious from whatever's been mentioned so far that ANYONE with Armenian roots can apply.

#50 15levels

15levels

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:05 AM

I have searched for a proper information about the procedure and found none. I live in Israel and there is no Armenian consulate here. I can however try to apply for it in Jordan, if there is an Armenian Embassy there. If anyone can supply any useful information on how can I apply for the Armenian passport, I would really appreciate it. Many thanks in advance.

#51 Proud EXPAT

Proud EXPAT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE(15levels @ Mar 18 2007, 01:05 AM) View Post

I have searched for a proper information about the procedure and found none. I live in Israel and there is no Armenian consulate here. I can however try to apply for it in Jordan, if there is an Armenian Embassy there. If anyone can supply any useful information on how can I apply for the Armenian passport, I would really appreciate it. Many thanks in advance.

Ruben I think you can get it from any embassy closest to you. Iraqi Armenians have been applying at the embassy in Syria. Doubt Jordan has an embassy. I am guessing you can't travel to Syria to get one. Maybe Egypt?

If you're not in a rush, hang in there and see what comes up with this dual citizenship stuff. The current 10-year passports are not that cheap (up to $500).

#52 Armenak

Armenak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:00 AM

I'm pretty sure they have an embassy in Cairo.

#53 hosank

hosank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:58 PM

im going for it...
as long as they don't ship me off to the army the minute i set foot in the country...
..not that i would not do it..just, not yet...it would be the lamest vacation ever...

#54 AK-47

AK-47

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • Interests:Armenian history, music, sports, politics...the usual stuff.

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE(Armenak @ Mar 18 2007, 04:00 AM) View Post

I'm pretty sure they have an embassy in Cairo.

Yeah there is an embassy in Cairo, it'll be easy to access it there. There isn't one in Jordan though. Syria and Lebanon both have it too but good luck getting there from Israel. Best bet is Egypt.

#55 15levels

15levels

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:44 AM

Yea well, I suppose I will do it next time I go to Europe... Hosank, if you go for it, provide us with the details :-)

#56 hosank

hosank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:55 PM

will do

#57 yerevanforeigner6

yerevanforeigner6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:07 PM

Hi all!

Does Mr. Robert Kocharyan have Azeri citizenship beside an Armenian one?

#58 Aaron

Aaron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:traveling, reading, science

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:47 PM

Quick question everyone (I will give a presentation on this, I need answers)

Let's say you have proven your armenian ancestry, and I checked, that is the main criteria. It's open to pretty much every Armenian. What does the law allow you. To

a) Instantly become a dual citizen of Armenia with all rights and responsibilities
cool.gif Become a dual citizen of Armenia only after 3 years of residency in Armenia
c) Instantly become a dual citizen of Armenia but be eligible to vote or to be elected only after 3 years of residency in Armenia
d) Become a citizen of Armenia if you have lived in Armenia for at least one of the past five years

I've heard so many rumors that I don't what to believe. I downloaded the armenian version of the law from armeniadiaspora.com but that version itself constantly refers to articles of the previous law to modify them ... and I don't feel like reading the entire law with all mini-nuances.

Let me know please
cool.gif
A.

Edited by Aaron, 11 April 2007 - 01:49 PM.

#59 hosank

hosank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE(yerevanforeigner6 @ Mar 21 2007, 12:07 PM) View Post

Hi all!

Does Mr. Robert Kocharyan have Azeri citizenship beside an Armenian one?

actually, it's quite possible...

but...since artsakh broke away before the end of the soviet union...he must only be registered as a citizen of the Azeri SSR

#60 hosank

hosank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:27 PM

you get dual citizenship, but as long as you are living in another country, you do not get to vote and you cannot run for office with a dual citizenship.

if you are non-armenian, you have to live in armenia for several years before getting it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users