Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:31 PM

ՓԱԿ ՓԱԿԵԼ ՓԱԿԱՆ

No. It is not ԲԱԿ-courtyard/”bak”, as some WA’s will Latinize as “pag”.*

This whole thing was prompted to me when reading Ruben Sevak’s biography. We know that his family name was Chilingirian, and that he adopted his penname based on the fact that he had a dark complexion with black hair and BLACK EYES. His original surname came from the fact that his ancestors, his father was a relatively prosperous ironsmith who in time had become a merchant of iron object. Why was his family not named “/ՓԱԿԱՆԵԱՆpakanian” (Eeven if some of us would translate “locksmith” as “pakanagorts-ian”. Why so long?
I had assumed and suspected that “chilingir” had to with iron or steel. I was almost right. Upon further research I learned that the word actually means “locksmith”. It is assumed to be of furkish origin, even my Persian dictionary says so, but I must question.**
Some pictures of Lock-Փական;
Antique;
http://www.fotosearc...1574R-22360.jpg
Modern;
Posted Image

Bolt/latch- Սողնակ/Սղնաք, here we will see that Armenian word is based on Սողալ- to crawl, to slide;
Posted Image

Is the Armenian “door@ pakeh/փակէ, door@ gotseh,/ գոցէ, door@ koghpeh/կղպէ/կողպէ” all mean the same? Are the English words- “shut, close and lock “ the same? We will see.

The family name “chilingIrian” is quite prevalent even today. Some spell it as “chilingArian”. The reason why I suspect it is of furkish origin.
This is how the Persians write it “chlngr“, چلنگر

With no diacritical marks. Is it “chilingir” or “chilingar”? We know that in the Persian “gar/kar” means “trade/professon”.

*In time we will come to the real meaning, origin and etymology of those words, like “pak, gots/ban“. In the meantime think about the Good Friday practice of the Armenian church of “trnpak” and the Easter Sunday practice of “trnbats”.
** I have said this before, please allow me to repeat. My two volume Eng-Pers and Pers-Eng dictionary is attributed to have been compiled and published by a certain S. Haim, which, I suspect was not an ethnic Persian but a Persian-hrya. The reason why he invokes Arabic, furkish and Hebrew as the origin of many words. What we need here is a scientifically unbiased etymological dictionaries of Arabic and REAL PERSIAN. Never mind that farcical “Farsi”.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users