Nairi jan, what is 'tchokh'?

#23 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 05:28 PM

Sasun jan, as in great or rich "hoyakap, pertch" etc. It's that darn tch sound!! Some people on the forum represent it with &. I guess it does come closer to the actual symbol than tch...

Karine jan, glad you enjoyed it! Sorry about Tumanian's. It was a bit too long to type and post...

#24 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 17 November 2003 - 05:35 PM

Oh, I see. First I read it as t-chokh, I thought it might be misspelled as trchogh.. but no, why would hair fly? :rolleyes: :)

#25 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 06:46 PM

Vayri jan, here's a few quotes from the Bible. Couldn't find a passage where it explicitly orders women to cover their heads, but maybe I looked in the wrong place. Either that, or another quote has been misinterpreted by churches around the world...

1 Corinthians 11:14: Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

1 Corinthians 11:15: But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

1 Samuel 19:13: And Michal took an image, and laid it in the bed, and put a pillow of goats' hair for his bolster, and covered it with a cloth.

Judith 10:3: And pulled off the sackcloth which she had on, and put off the garments of her widowhood, and washed her body all over with water, and anointed herself with precious ointment, and braided the hair of her head, and put on a tire upon it, and put on her garments of gladness, wherewith she was clad during the life of Manasses her husband.

Judith 16:8: For she put off the garment of her widowhood for the exaltation of those that were oppressed in Israel, and anointed her face with ointment, and bound her hair in a tire, and took a linen garment to deceive him.

John 12:3: Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.

1 Peter 3:3: Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; :) re: Toumanian :)

#26 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 01:14 AM

My theory that every family has a weird aunt is being confirmed more and more...

By any chance ... didn't that theory of yours start just recently when your niece was born?

#27 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 01:15 AM

Don't see how long hair can be practical. When it grows beyond a certain length, just gets tangled up when washing and the brush of the comb pulls out half my hair.

Exactly .... My own rule of thumb for myself is if it needs combing in the morning, it's too long.

#28 hyebruin

hyebruin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 02:11 AM

Exactly .... My own rule of thumb for myself is if it needs combing in the morning, it's too long.

oh come now sip!! :rolleyes: it might need some combing in the morning, but you can grab, twist, and pull it allllll night :naughty:

#29 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 05:40 AM

Storms, that's cool. I guess everyone has their preference. I prefer long hair for me. It's less hassle for me. I had short hair a few times in my life and found it really annoying to take care of, although I do agree that long after a certain length is too much hassle as well. But if I have to choose between going to hairdresser's twice a year or twice a month, I'll choose twice a year :)

Well, I go to the hair dressers two or three times a year myself. I don't mean short short hair - just get it cut chin-length and then let it grow around shoulder. And it's not because my hair takes time to grow - I've been complimented that it grows quickly!
Brushing - for me, two strokes should do. Sometimes if I'm in a hurry, puffing up with fingers should do. Guess that's the beauty of having wavy hair. :)

#30 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 18 November 2003 - 09:50 AM

oh come now sip!! :rolleyes: it might need some combing in the morning, but you can grab, twist, and pull it allllll night :naughty:

He was talking about his hair Bruin....not yours! :afro: :goof:

#31 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 10:00 AM

I'll have to admit that I haven't had my hair cut for over a year and a half now...

By any chance ... didn't that theory of yours start just recently when your niece was born?

No, but I guess I'd better start working on it. My niece only has one aunt.

"Be normal and you'll be weird enough" -- Dutch proverb.

#32 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 18 November 2003 - 02:38 PM

Most people think short hair represents a sign of maturity. I myself would love to keep my hair long.

#33 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 03:12 PM

for me, two strokes should do.

I'm so tempted to put that in my signature. :rolleyes: :lol:

Thoth's right ... I was referring to my own hair. I don't mind long hair at all on others! My opinion on the shortening hair with the older ladies is that it is obviously easier to take care of, they probably have a lot less hair than they used to when they were young, and the fact that it's a lot easier to take care of :P

#34 sev-mard

sev-mard

As it was in the beginning, so it shall be...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 03:27 PM

They are giving up, throwing in the towel, going out to pasture, raising the white flag. When you get older and your wife cuts her hair to that 'girl scout' look, it's all over...... :shocking:

#35 hyebruin

hyebruin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 03:30 PM

I'm so tempted to put that in my signature. :rolleyes: :lol:

Thoth's right ... I was referring to my own hair. I don't mind long hair at all on others! My opinion on the shortening hair with the older ladies is that it is obviously easier to take care of, they probably have a lot less hair than they used to when they were young, and the fact that it's a lot easier to take care of :P

urrrr, i KNOW that you meant YOUR hair, just messin' around..boy, you guys are no fun! :(

#36 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 18 November 2003 - 03:43 PM

I'm so tempted to put that in my signature.  :rolleyes:  :lol:

urrrr, i KNOW that you meant YOUR hair, just messin' around..boy, you guys are no fun! :(

Aww - says who? I'll be more then happy to talk about your hair girl...or pull on it if you want... :partytime:

And speaking of pulling...Sip....a two stroke man (damn biy - primed & ready!)...and is that with or without visual accompanyment? :tongue_ss: :whistling: :lol:

#37 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 11:29 AM

Going through Hovhannes Shiraz, I also found this poem:

(To mods with Windows: feel free to run this through this site and edit my post. See also my post here. I promise this will be the last time I ask you this favor! smile.gif)

For Latin see below. For English version, plead with Arpa or someone else who has time and talent smile.gif Thank you Azat (?) for posting the Armenian font version!!

OH NO!!!! I didn't realize I'd ruin my post if I edited it!!! Here's the translit version again, with Latin version below. I don't want to ask a mod to run it through that site again. I feel very bad about this, but at least I learned a lesson...

(Նվաստիս)

Ձյունեց քո էլ սև մազերին,
Ձյուն՝ քո մատաղ երազներին.
Բայց դու այն վառ մանուկն էիր,
Որ բույր կուտար ծաղիկներին,
Որ բռնելով թիթեռներին
Պահ էր տալիս իր քույրերին՝
Իր քույրերին՝ շուշաներին...

Բայց ձյուն կիջնի քո մազերին,
Ձյուն՝ քո գարնան երազներին,
Մինչ դու այն խենթ ջահելն էիր,
Որ ցնորքի երկրներից