#1 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 03 February 2004 - 11:17 AM

Janet's boob, singular, only half of the story!! Is she an Amazon, with one side excised?
Why is it that a single boob creates such a storm with 100 million of us "boobs" glued to the boob tube??!!

http://www.drudgereport.com/mattjj.htm

http://us.cnn.com/20...adscarves.reut/

Speaking of "boobs"!!
Why is it that we are so offended when other cultures, such as hijabs and yarmulkas emphasize their own, when WE don and flaunt crucifixes and other religious symbols all over our bigger than Janet' b..b?

Chirac: Ban headscarves in schools
Wednesday, December 17, 2003 Posted: 6:35 PM EST (2335 GMT)

France has grappled with the scarf issue for nearly 15 years.

------------
France debates whether to ban blatant religious symbols in public schools. CNN's Jim Bittermann reports (December 17)

PARIS, France (CNN) -- French President Jacques Chirac has called for a law banning religious symbols and clothing in state schools and hospitals.

Chirac's remarks Wednesday came in response to a commission report favoring the banning of Muslim head scarves, Jewish skullcaps and large Christian crosses in public schools.

He said he would sponsor legislation to make the ban law by next autumn.

In an address to the nation, Chirac said: "I feel that wearing any kind of symbol that ostensibly shows faith, I feel that that is something that should not be allowed in schools and colleges.

"If we are talking about a star of David, the hand of Fatima or a small cross, those are acceptable, but when it's very obvious, in other words, when if they are worn people can immediately see what religious faith they belong to, that should not be accepted."

Later in his remarks, Chirac said the ban should also apply to hospitals.

And he added: "Nothing can justify that a patient refuses, on principle, to be cared for by a doctor of the opposite sex. The law must consecrate this rule for all the ill who go to a public hospital."

Chirac said the wearing of religious symbols threatened the cohesion of the French people and France's separation of church and state.

"Secularity is one of the republic's great achievements," said Chirac. "It plays a crucial role in social harmony and national cohesion. We must not allow it to be weakened."

He also said he did not favor enacting new state holidays honoring different religions to supplement those holidays already on the books.

Chirac said France, whose Muslim and Jewish populations are the largest in Europe, must remain a multicultural society.

A poll published Wednesday, showed the majority of French people side with Chirac. The poll published in the Paris daily Le Parisien showed 69 percent favor a law banning the wearing of head scarves and other religious symbols.

Although directed at all three religions, the recommendation was seen as being aimed at countering Islamic fundamentalism, The Associated Press reported.

Muslims, who comprise about eight percent of France's population, had urged Chirac not to propose a law to enforce any ban. Christian and Jewish religious leaders have also voiced opposition.

"A law on religious symbols in the school environment could stigmatize a whole community," Dalil Boubakeur, president of the French Council of the Muslim Faith, told Reuters.

The topic took on new life after dozens of girls were expelled from school in the past two years for refusing to remove headscarves.

Some human rights groups said they opposed the measure. The International Helsinki Federation for Human Rights said the law would violate France's commitments to protect freedom of religion, Reuters reported.

The group added that a head scarf ban would result in alienation and marginalization of Muslims living in France.

#2 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (Arpa @ Feb 3 2004, 11:17 AM)
The group added that a head scarf ban would result in alienation and marginalization of Muslims living in France.

I am going to say the politically incorrect view!I hate political correctness!French people have the right to protect their colture from turning the country into Algeria!I hate bone head immigrants who do go to another country to suck the blood force out of it and rip all the benefits but refuse to adapt and be part of greater colture.Hello! You are not in freakin Afganistan,Algeria,Morocco! Get over it!!!

#3 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 03 February 2004 - 12:02 PM

Funny - couple of things..one I didnt at all watch the (always lame) Superbowl half time show - though I watched the entire game...so i missed it...din't even find out about it until the next day (as if it is news...JJ's tit...big deal)...but when I heard about it I was cerain that it was all set up (lamer still...)..but so typical..and as if showing a breast is so controversial and any kind of a big deal (well that it is is both sad and again lame...)...but I guess the symbolism of JT ripping off her shirt..well thats perhaps a statement about pro NFL and other atheletes these days...anyway (I still do like those NFL cheerleader! Rah rah - LOL)

And as for the French law - I see what they are trying to do - and I one hand I fully support it...but on the other hand its all pretty silly and a bit overblown...but yeah - IMO - there is a real threat from religious divisevness..and we have seen it manifest iteself in typiucal intolerant and nasty behavior again and again and agina..yeah guns to killpeople - religious fanatics do etc...so time for the atheist crusade I say!

#4 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 12:03 PM

Armat, I think the Americans have a good saying which summarizes that ... "If you don't like it, go back to where ever the hell you came from." smile.gif

As far as Jackson, I wouldn't have minded if it were one of the girls holding the flag behind the kid rock that was part of this stunt. But Jackson? ... I'll be lucky if I am able to sleep in the coming months. mad.gif

#5 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE (Armat @ Feb 3 2004, 12:57 PM)
I am going to say the politically incorrect view!I hate political correctness!French people have the right to protect their colture from turning the country into Algeria!I hate bone head immigrants who do go to another country to suck the blood force out of it and rip all the benefits but refuse to adapt and be part of greater colture.Hello! You are not in freakin Afganistan,Algeria,Morocco! Get over it!!!

So Armat you believe that Armenians should just fully assimilate eh?

#6 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 12:18 PM

So Armat you believe that Armenians should just fully assimilate eh?

Last time I checked Armenians had nothing to loose in their new country, accept maybe tavloo playing and coffee siping all day long.
Btw, America in particular is more Moslem friendly then European friendly. Some of the best allies and friends of America are exactly the Moslem nations. Egypt, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Kuweit, etc.., lately even Syria. Not to speak about the waves of Bosnians and Albanians at every corner.

#7 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 12:45 PM

I was watching a news panalists discussing the EU problems and #1 on the list is immigration specially France,Belgium and Germany.
We can not compare US with EU two are totally different so arguing or trying to impose US style multicolturism on EU would not work.There is a lot at stake.The very foundation of western European existance.

Edited by Armat, 03 February 2004 - 12:45 PM.

#8 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (Armat @ Feb 3 2004, 01:45 PM)
I was watching a news panalists discussing the EU problems and #1 on the list is immigration specially France,Belgium and Germany.
We can not compare US with EU two are totally different so arguing or trying to impose US style multicolturism on EU would not work.There is a lot at stake.The very foundation of western European existance.

Yes i understand this..and I did say that I understand France's concern and this issue...however my question to you - form your coment - concerned this idea of assimilation - and you seem to be saying that there is no place for retention of one's native culture when joining/moving to another country..and I find this interesting in the face of all thjose Armenians who believe that we/they need to hold onto our/their culture as much as possible...

#9 sev-mard

sev-mard

As it was in the beginning, so it shall be...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 12:55 PM

Mr. Armat,

What do you forsee as the future of EU if immigration isn't structured/changed? I'm just wondering about your opinion, vision of the future...

#10 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 01:04 PM

Thoth, America is designed for everyone. You can see a third generation German-American having his (D) sticker on his bumper. That's why Sip is right when he says, if you don't like it go back where you came from. Canada is not like that. Multyculturalism in Canada is community oriented, while USA is individuality oriented.
As to Europe, it would be a big family of NATION-STATES. Keeping their culture and traditions and those who want to join the Union should keep in mind that.

#11 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 01:06 PM

Hey c'mon boys!!
Yes, boys!!
Whatever happened to your sense of humor?
We are talking about Janet's boob (singular) here!
On a more serious note!
Let me reiterate.
Why is it that we don't even take a second look when someone wears a big (bigger than Janet's) cross across oops.gif their chests, hanging off every appendage, so big to even cover Janet's chest, but we are so offended when they wear a head scarf or a skull cap?

Is it because crosses are so natural to us? Specially for those who created the art and science of stone CROSSES, aka Khachkars?

Hoe intolerant cab we be!!

As for me?

The hell with all crosses, hijabs and scull caps.

God( whoever it may be) created man and woman simultaneously except that , after creating Eve when he ended up with one too many "boobs" he had to create Adam.

#12 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (Arpa @ Feb 3 2004, 01:06 PM)
... after creating Eve when he ended up with one too many "boobs" he had to create Adam.

So what's your theory on Adam's "hang down" ?

#13 sev-mard

sev-mard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 01:09 PM

You're right Arpa, crosses are everywhere, widely accepted and expected. To each his own. I don't mind if someone wears a burqa to a club on Sunset in Hollywood, just as long as she lets me wear a kufi if I want, and the next man to wear a catholic headdress if he wants. It's about letting people do what they need/want to. A true scholar or cleric knows that truth is universal, people and languages vary, hence the difference in religious practices. Plain and simple, but obviously not, is you see the state of the world today.

Yet as you said on a less serious note, it was a childhood dream to see Ms. Jackson exposed like that, and i'm sad at this age when if finally came through I wasn't even excited. I was laid in bed with my lovely girl at the time, so that may have had something to do with it! biggrin.gif

#14 sev-mard

sev-mard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Feb 3 2004, 01:07 PM)
So what's your theory on Adam's "hang down" ?

yucky.gif
I just had a bad image, a "boob" with a "hang down"......

Adam transvestite er?

yucky.gif

#15 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 03 February 2004 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE (THOTH @ Feb 3 2004, 10:48 AM)
Yes i understand this..and I did say that I understand France's concern and this issue...however my question to you - form your coment - concerned this idea of assimilation - and you seem to be saying that there is no place for retention of one's native culture when joining/moving to another country..and I find this interesting in the face of all thjose Armenians who believe that we/they need to hold onto our/their culture as much as possible...

Thoth, We Armenians have kept and are keeping our heritage as much as possible and at the same time nothing wrong and everything right to be assimilating with American culture, well if there is such a thing exist as American culture I guess. Armats input was IMO to those who have total disregard towards host country in this case France, which by the way has far more deep rooted culture then USA. And I agree with Armat even some Armenians after being here for 20 years they hardly speak proper English nor want to. Total disregard, same goes to Mexicans, salvadorians, etc........etc

#16 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 03 February 2004 - 01:18 PM

oh by the way were those boobs silicon? biggrin.gif

#17 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (sev-mard @ Feb 3 2004, 12:55 PM)
Mr. Armat,

What do you forsee as the future of EU if immigration isn't structured/changed? I'm just wondering about your opinion, vision of the future...

Logically Muslim population in EU have a much greater birth rate then natives hence if the Muslims refuse to "assimilate" then old EU coltures as we know it will become history specially since native birth rate is extremely low.

#18 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE (sev-mard @ Feb 3 2004, 07:09 PM)
You're right Arpa, crosses are everywhere, widely accepted and expected.
========

Yet as you said on a less serious note, it was a childhood dream to see Ms. Jackson exposed like that, and i'm sad at this age when if finally came through I wasn't even excited. I was laid in bed with my lovely girl at the time, so that may have had something to do with it!  biggrin.gif

Atta a boy/sevman!!
censored.gif "laid" huh!! smile.gif smile.gif

As to the more serious note.
Atta boy, again!!!

Edited by Arpa, 03 February 2004 - 01:29 PM.

#19 sev-mard

sev-mard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE (Edward @ Feb 3 2004, 01:18 PM)
oh by the way were those boobs silicon? biggrin.gif

I don't think so, it kind of "flopped" out....laugh.gif If they were silicon, they would have just 'sat up', still not bad at all.

#20 sev-mard

sev-mard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (Armat @ Feb 3 2004, 01:18 PM)
Logically Muslim population in EU have a much greater birth rate then natives hence if the Muslims refuse to "assimilate" then old EU coltures as we know it will become history specially since native birth rate is extremely low.

Are people saying that their are cultural reasons attributed to this? How does one dictate such a thing? Advocate increased birth rate by natives, or curtail muslim birth rates? I know it's not such an easy thing, I'm just wondering what people think can be done. I feel sometimes like humans have all these open Pandora's boxes with nothing that can be done to step the tides

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users