Photo

How Many Times Do You Listen To J.s. Bach

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: How many times do you listen to J.S. Bach

At least once on every:

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Bach? No. I listen to:

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

I don't listen. I'm deaf. However, I'd like to listen to:

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Balaclava

Balaclava

julik jurnalist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:27 PM

Besides answering to the pool, lets talk about religion and music that is connected to (directly or indirectly) religion.

#2 Eva

Eva

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:07 PM

Lately when i go to pick up my bro from school, the only music that i find in my mom's car is classical, including Bach, Mozert and Ravel, so i have to say 4 times a week ( by the way i tried to vote but it wouldnt allow me) smile.gif band.gif

#3 annannimusss

annannimusss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:45 PM

Soorp Sarkis, Aram Asatryan? Why isnt he listed, he is the best after Adiss after all.

#4 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:18 AM

What an interesting idea of a poll smile.gif

Does playing Bach count in the same category as listening to Bach?

#5 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE(Balaclava @ Dec 8 2007, 07:27 PM)
Besides answering to the pool, lets talk about religion and music that is connected to (directly or indirectly) religion.

Almost all "classical" music is connected to religion. Either the composers wrote the music for worship purposes or they wrote it in a form that developed from worship music, etc. The question is, do you, as a listener, associate that music with religion or do you just enjoy it for the sake of its beauty?

#6 Balaclava

Balaclava

julik jurnalist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 03:00 AM

QUOTE(anoushik @ Dec 9 2007, 12:18 AM)
What an interesting idea of a poll smile.gif

Does playing Bach count in the same category as listening to Bach?

Anushik jan, well I know for sure that you're one great musician who appreciates Bach. I know this, oh well, from... Erbarme dich mein Gott smile.gif

#7 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 03:06 AM

QUOTE(Balaclava @ Dec 9 2007, 01:00 AM)
Anushik jan, well I know for sure that you're one great musician who appreciates Bach.

Thank you for your kind words Balaclava jan smile.gif
QUOTE(Balaclava @ Dec 9 2007, 01:00 AM)
I know this, oh well, from... Erbarme dich mein Gott smile.gif

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

#8 Balaclava

Balaclava

julik jurnalist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 04:05 AM

QUOTE(anoushik @ Dec 9 2007, 01:06 AM)
Thank you for your kind words Balaclava jan smile.gif

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

By the way, have you heard Ferruccio Busoni compilation of Bach, Choral prelude in F minor?

#9 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 09 December 2007 - 03:58 PM

I recently discovered Bach transcriptions by Leopold Stokowski! Oh my God! This man is a genius. He added so much love and emotion to Bach without altering the original. I suspect some here would have listened this before, if not I would highly recommend. You can download from Amazon. In particular, the Passacaglia is kind of mesmerizing.

P.S. Hello folks, how are you doing? Anoushik, good to see you smile.gif

#10 Balaclava

Balaclava

julik jurnalist

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:14 PM

That is a lovely piece Sasun! I still so much love Chromatische Phantasie und Fuge that I beg my sister every time to play it.

For the music lovers and musicians, shall we set a date and time to have a baroque evening sometimes next year? I know that you need time to practise a piece, but it's never too late to start. Let me know if you like this idea and we'll look forward in making it happen.

#11 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE(anoushik @ Dec 9 2007, 03:24 AM)
Almost all "classical" music is connected to religion. Either the composers wrote the music for worship purposes or they wrote it in a form that developed from worship music, etc. The question is, do you, as a listener, associate that music with religion or do you just enjoy it for the sake of its beauty?

I'm not a musician, nor a music history buff, but I've always associated Bach with church music; particularly his chorale works and those featuring an organ, but less so for his compositions for solo guitar (Lautenmusik). I don't think you can ignore the "spiritual" feel his music imparts, not surprising as I believe most of his work was commissioned for the church. One of his Canatas, (Christmas Oratorio) is a staple at Christmas time, and although I enjoy listening to it, I find it extremely long so I listen in doses wink.gif
The Brandenburg concertos are also amongst my favourites.

QUOTE(Sasun @ Dec 9 2007, 04:58 PM)

Hey Sasun, nice to see you back. smile.gif

BTW - is there something wrong with this poll? I see "six" people have voted but I only see my vote in the graphic results. Hmmmmm. dontgetit.gif

#12 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:50 PM

I have grown up with Bach, Handel and Mozart to mention a few.
Listen to Cum Sancto Spiritu;
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related
Yet. I woud much rather stick with Komitas.
At this time of the year, not to forget this by Handel;

Edited by Arpa, 09 December 2007 - 07:01 PM.

#13 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE(vava @ Dec 9 2007, 04:30 PM)
BTW - is there something wrong with this poll? I see "six" people have voted but I only see my vote in the graphic results. Hmmmmm. dontgetit.gif

null votes

#14 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE(Sasun @ Dec 9 2007, 01:58 PM)
I recently discovered Bach transcriptions by Leopold Stokowski! Oh my God! This man is a genius. He added so much love and emotion to Bach without altering the original. I suspect some here would have listened this before, if not I would highly recommend. You can download from Amazon. In particular, the Passacaglia is kind of mesmerizing.

Sasun, it's always such a pleasure logging in to the forum and seeing that you still visit the forum and post smile.gif

#15 Em

Em

Em

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:00 PM

Your poll is missing the "daily" option. smile.gif My daughter goes to sleep listening to a CD of classical music (containing a few of Bach’s works) so I listen to same CD (twice) each night along with her. It’s quite calming and has become a part of her bedtime routine. smile.gif

Also, classical music reminds me of water. Depending on the piece, I am reminded of a calm river or a stormy sea or a gentle trickle of rain coming down the window. For some reason I have always associated those things together.

And my favorite part of my college music appreciation class was the Georgian chants. Now THAT reminds me of religion (not Christianity per se).. it is so spiritual in nature. One time I started crying in class...I very much enjoyed that. Boy am I weird...lol. smile.gif

#16 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE(Em124 @ Dec 10 2007, 07:00 PM)
Your poll is missing the "daily" option. smile.gif My daughter goes to sleep listening to a CD of classical music (containing a few of Bach’s works) so I listen to same
===
And my favorite part of my college music appreciation class was the Georgian chants. Now THAT reminds me of religion (not Christianity per se).. it is so spiritual in nature. One time I started crying in class...I very much enjoyed that. Boy am I weird...lol. smile.gif

You mean GREGORIAN chants I'm sure.
I hve my personal oipinion about that, but this is not the time or place for it. I iwill only this; I hate gregorian chant. I'd rther have psck of coyoted howling at the moon. Why do people think God likes that kind of meowings/kaghkants/կաղկանց?

Edited by Arpa, 10 December 2007 - 01:16 PM.

#17 Em

Em

Em

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Dec 10 2007, 11:12 AM)
You mean GREGORIAN chants I'm sure.
I hve my personal oipinion about that, but this is not the time or place for it. I iwill only this; I hate gregorian chant. I'd rther have psck of coyoted howling at the moon. Why do people think God likes that kind of meowings/kaghkants/կաղկանց?

Yes, you are correct. It's GRegorian... my mistake.

I don't know why Arpa, but the cahnting touched soemthing within me ... it is very spiritual in nature...took me to a place of higher being... can't explain it. And I did not associate it with Cristianity...just spirituality in general...

#18 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Dec 10 2007, 11:12 AM)

Arpa, I have to disagree. Gregorian chant, or plainchant to be exact, is very beautiful. They are based on modes (not scales), but their modal structure (which more often resembles the minor scale rather than the major) always reminds me of some kind of sadness that people experience when they are confronted with the unknown.

And plainchant was developed not because they thought that God would like it, but putting melody to prayers made it easy for them to remember the numerous prayers they had to recite each day and night.

#19 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE(Em124 @ Dec 10 2007, 11:00 AM)
My daughter goes to sleep listening to a CD of classical music (containing a few of Bach’s works) so I listen to same CD (twice) each night along with her. It’s quite calming and has become a part of her bedtime routine. smile.gif

I think that's wonderful smile.gif

#20 Eva

Eva

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE(Em124 @ Dec 10 2007, 11:00 AM)
Your poll is missing the "daily" option. smile.gif My daughter goes to sleep listening to a CD of classical music (containing a few of Bach’s works) so I listen to same CD (twice) each night along with her. It’s quite calming and has become a part of her bedtime routine. smile.gif

Also, classical music reminds me of water. Depending on the piece, I am reminded of a calm river or a stormy sea or a gentle trickle of rain coming down the window. For some reason I have always associated those things together.

You said seasons , water river, sea, it seminded me of Four Seasons by Vivaldi....here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users