• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Korelyi

Korelyi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:35 PM

Seriously, I've looked everywhere. I can't find an Eastern Armenian dictionary that contains over 7,000 entries. What I want is a comprehensive Eastern Armenian dictionary, not a concise travel dictionary.

Could anyone point me in the right direction on this..? huh.gif

Edited by Korelyi, 19 September 2007 - 05:36 PM.

#2 Էլիա

Էլիա

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Հայ Լեզուն:

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE(Korelyi @ Sep 19 2007, 04:35 PM)
Seriously, I've looked everywhere. I can't find an Eastern Armenian dictionary that contains over 7,000 entries. What I want is a comprehensive Eastern Armenian dictionary, not a concise travel dictionary.

Could anyone point me in the right direction on this..? huh.gif

The Shirak company might have something you're looking for... I think...

#3 Korelyi

Korelyi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE(Էլիա @ Sep 20 2007, 07:00 PM)
The Shirak company might have something you're looking for... I think...

Perhaps you could provide a specific book title?

I looked up Shirak, and didn't find much.

#4 Korelyi

Korelyi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:13 PM

Sorry for the double post, but I finally found a dictionary.

A comprehensive Armenian dictionary! I am overjoyed.

#5 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:02 PM

So how many words are in this one?

#6 Korelyi

Korelyi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE(Sip @ Sep 21 2007, 01:02 AM)
So how many words are in this one?

Well, I have a Japanese dictionary that is about 688 pages. It has 50,000 words.

This dictionary is about 650 pages. At the very least, I estimate about 35,000 (depending on font size and definition length.

The dictionary I have is only about 240 pages, and contains a measly 4,500 entries... nowhere near enough to even hold an intelligible conversation.

#7 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:02 PM

That's pretty cool ... make sure you update this thread after using the dictionary for a while!

#8 Korelyi

Korelyi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE(Sip @ Sep 21 2007, 02:02 PM)
That's pretty cool ... make sure you update this thread after using the dictionary for a while!

Oh yes, definitely. If it's as good as I think it is, I'll give a quick review once I've used it.

#9 Nor Hayastan

Nor Hayastan

Նոր Հայաստ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Հայերեն Լեզուն և Թեննիս

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE(Korelyi @ Sep 22 2007, 12:30 PM)
Oh yes, definitely. If it's as good as I think it is, I'll give a quick review once I've used it.

Korelyi jan, I too have many dictionaries on Armenian:

(1 Armenian to English dictionary)

And about 4 English to Armenian dictionaries. What I want to say is that I am very fascinated with Armenian, so much so, that I have all these dictionaries to look up words in lol

I wanted to know if there are any programmers out there, that can help me put together a computer program (for XP and Vista) so we can basically DIGITALIZE these dictionaries. Cause me personally, it got to the point where I was (and still am...) frustrated with finding words I am looking for.

These dictionaries that I have, especially the English to Armenian ones (1 is in E. Armenian from '91 I believe, and the rest are W. Armenian) are very veryyyyy good! I have this one Western Armenian dictionary - "@ntarcag Parraran" (@ndardzak Barraran) which was... get this... made in 1922~!!!! Oh, and regarding the pages and words and all, since you had mentioned previously on other dictionaries... this one is 1,424 pages in length!

Guys I'm really serious about this, I will help to the fullest extent, the thing is I am not a program writer, nor do I know anything on how to write such programs lol This is really important to digitize such things, especially with conflicting words from each dictionary. Like for example, the Eastern Armenian dictionary I have from 1991 (I am E. Armenian btw), the word "tunnel" they have the Armenian equivalent to be "tunel" (in Armenian letters lol)... BUTTTTT the 1922 version has the correct way Փապուղի (Papughi). Basically what I'm trying to say is that if we can put a program together, we can incorporate ALL THESE DICTIONARIES together into ONE! On top of which, it would be digitalized, and the person trying to find the word could essentially choose which one it views as the best translation.

I can give my phone # and all to anyone who would be interested in doing this with me. I really want to do something beneficial to the Armenian community, and I think this would be just a MAGNIFICENT treasure for all Armenians everywhere in the world!

#10 Էլիա

Էլիա

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE(Nor Hayastan @ Oct 18 2007, 11:05 PM)
Korelyi jan, I too have many dictionaries on Armenian:

(1 Armenian to English dictionary)

And about 4 English to Armenian dictionaries. What I want to say is that I am very fascinated with Armenian, so much so, that I have all these dictionaries to look up words in lol

I wanted to know if there are any programmers out there, that can help me put together a computer program (for XP and Vista) so we can basically DIGITALIZE these dictionaries. Cause me personally, it got to the point where I was (and still am...) frustrated with finding words I am looking for.

These dictionaries that I have, especially the English to Armenian ones (1 is in E. Armenian from '91 I believe, and the rest are W. Armenian) are very veryyyyy good! I have this one Western Armenian dictionary - "@ntarcag Parraran" (@ndardzak Barraran) which was... get this... made in 1922~!!!! Oh, and regarding the pages and words and all, since you had mentioned previously on other dictionaries... this one is 1,424 pages in length!

Guys I'm really serious about this, I will help to the fullest extent, the thing is I am not a program writer, nor do I know anything on how to write such programs lol This is really important to digitize such things, especially with conflicting words from each dictionary. Like for example, the Eastern Armenian dictionary I have from 1991 (I am E. Armenian btw), the word "tunnel" they have the Armenian equivalent to be "tunel" (in Armenian letters lol)... BUTTTTT the 1922 version has the correct way Փապուղի (Papughi). Basically what I'm trying to say is that if we can put a program together, we can incorporate ALL THESE DICTIONARIES together into ONE! On top of which, it would be digitalized, and the person trying to find the word could essentially choose which one it views as the best translation.

I can give my phone # and all to anyone who would be interested in doing this with me. I really want to do something beneficial to the Armenian community, and I think this would be just a MAGNIFICENT treasure for all Armenians everywhere in the world!

Ես ալ կը համաձայնիմ որ քու գաղափարդ շա՜տ արժանի կ'ըլլայ բոլոր հայերու համար: Բայց, փոխարէն անձնական բառարան մը շինելու, թերեւս աւելի լաւ կ'ըլլայ եթէ քու բառարաններուդ բառերը ու իմաստները կու տաս համացանցի բառարանի մը, որ արդէն գոյութիւն ունի: Ի՞նչ կը կարծես:

I agree that your idea would be a great treasure for all Armenians. But, instead of making your own dictionary, maybe it would be a greater idea if you give your dictionaries' words and meanings to an existing online dictionary. What do you think?

#11 Nor Hayastan

Nor Hayastan

Նոր Հայաստ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE(Էլիա @ Oct 19 2007, 10:20 PM)
Ես ալ կը համաձայնիմ որ քու գաղափարդ շա՜տ արժանի կ'ըլլայ բոլոր հայերու համար: Բայց, փոխարէն անձնական բառարան մը շինելու, թերեւս աւելի լաւ կ'ըլլայ եթէ քու բառարաններուդ բառերը ու իմաստները կու տաս համացանցի բառարանի մը, որ արդէն գոյութիւն ունի: Ի՞նչ կը կարծես:

I agree that your idea would be a great treasure for all Armenians. But, instead of making your own dictionary, maybe it would be a greater idea if you give your dictionaries' words and meanings to an existing online dictionary. What do you think?

Barev Elia jan, yes hamadzayn em qo arrajarki het. Ughghaki asum em cragir@ aveli parz klini en martkanc hamar ovqer vor hamacanc (internet tongue.gif) chen karogh mtnel. U aveli arag kerpov karoghanan barr gtnel. Yerkusn el lav gaghaparner en. Ughghaki menq hayers, petq a miananq es harcov. Yes orinak aprum em Los Angeles-um, yev ovqer vor aystegh en bnakvum yev nuyn cankutyun@ unen im het, karoghananq handipel (kam kisel yev heto xorhrtakcenq) yev sksenq ays ashxatanqner@ ays bnagavarrum. Enqan hetaqrqir a Elia jan, inch haykakan barrer kan. Orinak E-mail hayeren klini "Imak" (haskacar? E (I)-mail (namak--> mak) tongue.gif Shatttttttt artakarq barrer en, u haskacogh. scanner = ditak, printer = tpich, yev ayln... Iskapes yes gzhvum em uraxutyamp vor tesnum em es barrer@, u derr nman barraran chem tesel vor ays barrer@ uni. Baci da, yete es bolorrrr barraranner@ miacnenq, patkeracnum es inch qanaqanoc (qani barr aysinqn) barraran kunenanq? Gzhutyun klini mi xosqov smile.gif

Du artioq cragrichner (programmers, i'm assuming this is right, i made it up lol) canot unes? tongue.gif

#12 Էլիա

Էլիա

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE(Nor Hayastan @ Oct 19 2007, 09:57 PM)
Barev Elia jan, yes hamadzayn em qo arrajarki het. Ughghaki asum em cragir@ aveli parz klini en martkanc hamar ovqer vor hamacanc (internet tongue.gif) chen karogh mtnel. U aveli arag kerpov karoghanan barr gtnel. Yerkusn el lav gaghaparner en. Ughghaki menq hayers, petq a miananq es harcov. Yes orinak aprum em Los Angeles-um, yev ovqer vor aystegh en bnakvum yev nuyn cankutyun@ unen im het, karoghananq handipel (kam kisel yev heto xorhrtakcenq) yev sksenq ays ashxatanqner@ ays bnagavarrum. Enqan hetaqrqir a Elia jan, inch haykakan barrer kan. Orinak E-mail hayeren klini "Imak" (haskacar? E (I)-mail (namak--> mak) tongue.gif Shatttttttt artakarq barrer en, u haskacogh. scanner = ditak, printer = tpich, yev ayln... Iskapes yes gzhvum em uraxutyamp vor tesnum em es barrer@, u derr nman barraran chem tesel vor ays barrer@ uni. Baci da, yete es bolorrrr barraranner@ miacnenq, patkeracnum es inch qanaqanoc (qani barr aysinqn) barraran kunenanq? Gzhutyun klini mi xosqov smile.gif

Du artioq cragrichner (programmers, i'm assuming this is right, i made it up lol) canot unes? tongue.gif[/b]

Ներողութիւն, բայց շատ լաւ չեմ հասկնար հայերէնը անգլերէն տառադարձութեամբ, ուրեմն եթէ շատ գործ չէ, հաճիս հայերէնով կամ անգլերէնով մեքենագրէ՛: Եթէ չես գիտեր ինչպէս հայերէնով մեքենագրել եւ կ'ուզես, հետեւեալ էջին գնա՛ եւ ուղղութիւններուն հետեւի՛ր՝ http://www.armunicod.../how-to/winxp/:

Դժբախտաբար, ծրագրիչ մը չեմ: Բայց «programmer»ին իմաստը «ծրագրող» չէ՞:

Edited by Էլիա, 20 October 2007 - 04:06 PM.

#13 Nor Hayastan

Nor Hayastan

Նոր Հայաստ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE(Էլիա @ Oct 20 2007, 05:03 PM)
Ներողութիւն, բայց շատ լաւ չեմ հասկնար հայերէնը անգլերէն տառադարձութեամբ, ուրեմն եթէ շատ գործ չէ, հաճիս հայերէնով կամ անգլերէնով մեքենագրէ՛: Եթէ չես գիտեր ինչպէս հայերէնով մեքենագրել եւ կ'ուզես, հետեւեալ էջին գնա՛ եւ ուղղութիւններուն հետեւի՛ր՝ http://www.armunicod.../how-to/winxp/:

Դժբախտաբար, ծրագրիչ մը չեմ: Բայց «programmer»ին իմաստը «ծրագրող» չէ՞:

իմ կարծիքով Էլիա ջան, դու շատ էլ լավ հասկանում ես իմ գրածներս, ուղղակի ես չեմ սիրում ման գալ այս տառերը ստեղնաշարի վրա, որովհետև իմ կարծիքով ես յունիկոդը որ սարգել են, սխալ են տեղավորել տառերը, գոնե ես գտնում եմ սխալ, ու հավես չունեմ այսպես ման գալու տառերը:

#14 Էլիա

Էլիա

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE(Nor Hayastan @ Oct 21 2007, 10:58 PM)
իմ կարծիքով Էլիա ջան, դու շատ էլ լավ հասկանում ես իմ գրածներս, ուղղակի ես չեմ սիրում ման գալ այս տառերը ստեղնաշարի վրա, որովհետև իմ կարծիքով ես յունիկոդը որ սարգել են, սխալ են տեղավորել տառերը, գոնե ես գտնում եմ սխալ, ու հավես չունեմ այսպես ման գալու տառերը:

Հա՜, լաւ, ներողութիւն: Գրէ՛ ինչպէս որ կ'ուզես:

#15 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE(Nor Hayastan @ Oct 22 2007, 05:58 AM)

Նմանապէս!
Այսքան ատեն է որ ես գրում եմ այսպէս կոչուած ունիգոտով տակավին չեմ հասկացել թէ ինչու E-n Է է եւ Y- ը նշանակուել է իբր Ե. Եւ թէ ինչու Q Խ է եւ G Ք. Անշուշտ գիտեմ ինչու . Քանի այդ ապուշները Y ը ճանաչէն իբր Ե/Յեչ. Ամէն մի Հայերէն գրելիս պիտի հազար անգամ ինձ ուղղեմ Ե -ի եւ Է- ի միջեւ. Ք -ի եւ Խ-ի միջեւ. Եւ այլն. Բայց պիտի շնորհաւորել նրանց որ Ւ ը զտեղել են W ին , թէեւ աւելի ճիշտ պիտի ըլլար նրան զետեղել U- ի տեղը.
Այդ իսկ պատճառավ ինձ համար չարչարանք է Հայերէն մէքէնագրել.
Գուցէ եթէ Եւ- ը եւ Ու -ն վերցնենք մեր Այբ ու Բեն շարանից այն ատեն աւելի ազատ ընտիրք ունենանք մեր միւս տառերին.

Edited by Arpa, 22 October 2007 - 05:28 PM.

#16 Nor Hayastan

Nor Hayastan

Նոր Հայաստ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Oct 22 2007, 06:17 PM)
Նմանապէս!
Այսքան ատեն է որ ես գրում եմ այսպէս կոչուած ունիգոտով տակավին չեմ հասկացել թէ ինչու E-n Է է եւ Y- ը նշանակուել է իբր Ե. Եւ թէ ինչու Q Խ է եւ G Ք. Անշուշտ գիտեմ ինչու . Քանի այդ ապուշները Y ը ճանաչէն իբր Ե/Յեչ. Ամէն մի Հայերէն գրելիս պիտի հազար անգամ ինձ ուղղեմ Ե -ի եւ Է- ի միջեւ. Ք -ի եւ Խ-ի միջեւ. Եւ այլն. Բայց պիտի շնորհաւորել նրանց որ Ւ ը զտեղել են W ին , թէեւ աւելի ճիշտ պիտի ըլլար նրան զետեղել U- ի տեղը.
Այդ իսկ պատճառավ ինձ համար չարչարանք է Հայերէն մէքէնագրել.
Գուցէ եթէ Եւ- ը եւ Ու -ն վերցնենք մեր Այբ ու Բեն շարանից այն ատեն աւելի ազատ ընտիրք ունենանք մեր միւս տառերին.

Apushutyun e gitem Arpa jan. Yes oktagorcum em Kdwin (karcem jisht em grel?), yev ayt cragrov karogh em Microsoft Word-i mej grel Hayeren "Arial AM" tarratesakov (font-ov). Arravel yevs, yes karogh em im asac dzevov dasavorel tarrer@ smile.gif Tes, orinak yes @ em oktagorcum shat ը-tarri hamar, yev i dep etpes el dasavorel em steghnasharov (keyboard-ov).

Bayc ari mi ban anenq eli Barrarani hamar. Voch voch canot chuni vor karogh e cragrer gri? sad.gif

Mi ban vor vat e ayt cragrov ayn e vor ches karogh aypisi tegher grel (vorovhetev qani vor Unicode chi, @ntunvac che sad.gif )

#17 Korelyi

Korelyi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:17 AM

What needs to be made is an extremely comprehensive Eastern Armenian - English / English - Eastern Armenian dictionary.

Sorry, I've not yet bought that dictionary, so still no review. I'll get it soon.

#18 Nor Hayastan

Nor Hayastan

Նոր Հայաստ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE(Korelyi @ Nov 5 2007, 01:17 AM)
What needs to be made is an extremely comprehensive Eastern Armenian - English / English - Eastern Armenian dictionary.

Sorry, I've not yet bought that dictionary, so still no review. I'll get it soon.

Korelyi jan, I have many dictionaries. You are right, an EXTREMELY COMPREHENSIVE dictionary needs to put into play, and that's why I said to put it together into a program. Do you have any friends/family that are programmers?

Guys seriously, I mean just think of it, if we can get the brightest Armenian youth in LA, who love the language, and are computer geeks, we can all meet up at someone's house and talk about this and start the project! I'm up for it, come on guys, es mer azgn a stegh, nman gorc chi katarvel. Yes unem barraranner vor cragric en, bayc asem vor barrer@ shat shat qich en, u SXAL (russerenic shat@). We can do this, and I know we can, we just have to find each other I guess, everything else will fall into place smile.gif

#19 Nor Hayastan

Nor Hayastan

Նոր Հայաստ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE(Nor Hayastan @ Nov 5 2007, 12:52 PM)
Korelyi jan, I have many dictionaries. You are right, an EXTREMELY COMPREHENSIVE dictionary needs to put into play, and that's why I said to put it together into a program. Do you have any friends/family that are programmers?

Guys seriously, I mean just think of it, if we can get the brightest Armenian youth in LA, who love the language, and are computer geeks, we can all meet up at someone's house and talk about this and start the project! I'm up for it, come on guys, es mer azgn a stegh, nman gorc chi katarvel. Yes unem barraranner vor cragric en, bayc asem vor barrer@ shat shat qich en, u SXAL (russerenic shat@). We can do this, and I know we can, we just have to find each other I guess, everything else will fall into place smile.gif

Voch mek@ chka vor cragir karogh e grel??? Lav eliiiii. Esqan hayer unenq Los-um vor sovorum en hamalsarannerum (yes el), chenq kara havaqvenq anenq sa? Etqan dzhvar ban a?

#20 Էլիա

Էլիա

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE(Nor Hayastan @ Nov 6 2007, 12:23 PM)
Voch mek@ chka vor cragir karogh e grel??? Lav eliiiii. Esqan hayer unenq Los-um vor sovorum en hamalsarannerum (yes el), chenq kara havaqvenq anenq sa? Etqan dzhvar ban a?

Ես կ'ընէի եթէ գիտէի, բայց չեմ գիտեր ինչպէս ծրագրել եւ դեռ բարձրագոյն վարժարան կ'երթամ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users