51 replies to this topic

#41 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

«Ուզում եմ ուտել Հայաստանում» բլոգային նյութը հաղթել է բլոգերների միջազգային մրցույթում 15:37, 4 մարտի, 2013 Ամփոփվեցին «Մետաքսե ճանապարհի մարտահրավեր» բլոգերների միջազգային մրցույթի արդյունքները: Հայաստանն, ի դեմս Հայաստանի ազգային մրցունակության հիմնադրամի, հանդիսանում է մրցույթի գլխավոր հովանավորը: Միջազգային ժյուրիի որոշմամբ լավագույն բլոգի մրցանակի հաղթող ճանաչվեցին «The Flaneur» բլոգի հեղինակ Ջոնաթան Փաուելը իր «Ուզում եմ ուտել Հայաստանում» բլոգային նյութի համար և «There's So Much to See» բլոգի հեղինակ Նայլահ Հայուարդը իր «Լիբանանյան մուղրաբիե» վերնագրով նյութի համար: Հայաստանի ազգային մրցունակության հիմնադրամի hանրային կապերի գրասենյակի տեղեկացմամբ՝ հաղթած 2 բլոգերները հնարավորություն կունենան առաջիկայում այցելելու Հայաստան, ապա իրենց տպավորություններն ու բացահայտումներն արտացոլել իրենց բլոգերում:

#42 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

http://flaneur.me.uk...a-silkroad2012/

#43 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

The Silk Road: I want to eat in Armenia! #silkroad2012
by Flaneur on Nov 28, 2012 • 7:13 pm Leave a comment
The Silk Road is not your average A44 from here to somewhere else you don’t particularly want to be. No, it is resplendent with glamour and history, a route of dreams enhanced by tales of heroes and wealth beyond the reach of mere Kings. It is seven thousand kilometres of trading route between China, Asia and Europe, passing through some of the world’s most interesting countries. It has existed since before Christ and is still the road where adventurers can find something of the excitement of travel in centuries past. To follow the Silk road will stay with you for ever, it is not a day trip to the coast!
Five hundred and fifty kilometres of the Silk road pass through Armenia, taking the traveller from Georgia to Iran, through regions travelled for centuries such as Meghri and the Selim mountain pass. This part of the route is a glimpse of real history, reflected in the traditional foods that are eaten by the local people. I haven’t yet been to visit Armenia, but I am looking forward to going and will snap photos of all the interesting dishes I taste whilst there. As a sample though, if you go you can expect a diet based on lamb, aubergine and lavash – a delicious flat bread traditionally
Posted Image
made by rolling out the dough and cooking it quickly on the hot walls of a clay oven. When dry it can be stored for almost a year and is easily rehydrated with a sprinkle of water. I am looking forward to trying this bread very much.
Posted Image

image courtesy Wikipedia, user Eaeeae

Byorek is another dish that I’m looking forward to eating. Also called Khachapuri these are phyllo pastry pies filled with cheese or spinach and covered in seeds. Of course, with the Silk Route reaching over so many countries the cuisine will be influenced to some degree by the foods of neighbouring states. This makes the food on the Silk route a glorious mix. It makes it hard to say what I will experience or what you would like most if you visit.
Prepare for a visual feast when I return. Photos and videos will make the Silk road sing and the food jump out and make you want to visit just to try some of the delicacies I blog about!

#44 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

Author: The Flaneur
Visit The Flaneur's Website - Email The Flaneur
Editor-in-chief, The Flaneur.This article has been written by an independent writer and uploaded by the Flaneur admins. The author's details are above

#45 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:04 PM

Cheese Bread Banderoom Hootz

by Louisa, Alberta, and Anna Magzanian

Published: Saturday October 31, 2009 in Food

Banderoomhootzsmall-.jpg

#46 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:04 PM

Banderoom Hootz.

Heriseh is the best known of Musa Dagh dishes. But Musa Daghtsis make many other dishes that are distinct to their region. Among these are two breads, Banderoom Hootz and Jufftoom Hootz, literally translated - cheese bread and black olive pulp bread.

In our Musa Dagh village of Bitias, we used to enjoy Banderoom Hootz throughout the year but especially during the holidays. The story was different for Jufftoom Hootz. That specialty was prepared only during the fall months when black ripe olives were harvested. The oil was extracted from the fruit, the seeds discarded, and the remaining pulp, jufft, was used as the main topping for the delicacy.

Today, we frequently make Banderoom Hootz. But since we don't have jufft, we can only dream about Juffltoom Hootz. Making Banderoom Hootz requires pepper paste, a prized Musa Dagh condiment that is used for many other dishes and as a dip.

The recipes below appear in our cookbook, The Recipes of Musa Dagh, An Armenian Cookbook in a Dialect of Its Own, available at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Powells, and other websites.

Cheese Bread (Banderoom Hootz)

Bread Dough
1½ packets active dry yeast
1½ teaspoons sugar
¼ cup warm water, plus additional warm water for later use
7 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt

1. Proof yeast: Pour ¼ cup warm water into a tall glass. Add the 1 ½ teaspoons sugar and stir until it dissolves. Add the yeast, stir gently and place in warm area. The yeast should bubble and foam within 15 minutes. If not, the yeast is not active and shouldn't be used.

2. Place flour in a large bowl and add the salt. Make a well in the center, add the proofed yeast and enough warm water to blend the dough. Transfer the dough to a board and knead for 10-15 minutes. While kneading, dip hands in warm water to make a sticky dough.

3. Form into a large ball and place in a flat pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place.

4. After the dough rises, form four balls. Cover with a damp cloth and let the balls rise again in the  pan. While dough is rising, prepare the topping.

Topping

1 dozen medium onions, diced
2-3 tablespoons hot pepper paste or to taste
½ cup blue cheese, crumbled
¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup large-curd cottage cheese, thoroughly drained through double cheese cloth
2 tablespoons crushed dry summer savory
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for later use

1. Preheat oven at 400° F.
2. Mix well all the above ingredients.
3. Lightly oil pizza pan with crisco and dust with flour. Place one ball of dough into the pan and spread it like a pizza.

4. Add one fourth of the topping, spreading it evenly.
5. Bake the bread 15-20 minutes until the bread is lightly brown. 
6. Repeat the process from step three for the remaining three balls.
7. Let the flat breads cool completely and then slice them into eight triangles.
8. Dip fingers in olive oil and evenly pat the topping.
9. Refrigerate. Keeps up to one week.
10. If preferred warm, heat in oven before serving.
Makes four breads

Pepper Paste (Epoodz Hamim)

For many Musa Daghtsis, red pepper paste is an essential ingredient. Mom usually made several batches, pressed the paste in individual small jars, and sealed the jars with wax. She used the paste throughout the year. In the United States, she prepared the pepper paste and wrapped small portions in plastic wrap. She then put the portions in plastic containers and put them in the freezer.

The pepper paste is used in tabouli, Musa Dagh steak tartare (chee keufteh), onion salad, cheese bread, potato salad and in many other dishes.

Pepper paste can be either hot or mild. The ratio of sweet and hot peppers determines the taste. The following recipe makes mild flavor.

5 pounds sweet red peppers
½ pound hot red peppers
3 teaspoons salt

1. Wash peppers and pat dry. Wearing rubber gloves, cut hot peppers in half and remove the white membranes and seeds. Cut peppers into one inch chunks.

2. Using the steel blade, pulverize peppers in food processor. Add salt and pour peppers into a baking pan.

3. Place the pan over low heat and simmer gently, stirring with a wooden spoon. As the water evaporates, the pepper paste will have the consistency of tomato paste. Paste prepared over a low flame preserves the red color.

4. Place pan aside for a day and stir it once in a while. This will allow additional water to evaporate. The paste should be of thick consistency.

5. Divide into desired portions, wrap in plastic wrap, place in container and freeze.

Note: To make a few of spoonfuls of pepper paste, use five sweet red peppers and one hot pepper. Follow the same procedure and salt to taste.

#47 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,192 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

http://www.reporter....banderoom-hootz

#48 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:34 AM

This is wonderfully delicious.
Beside the Herisa , Mousa Ler is also the birthplace of the Pizza? :ap:
Հուց ու Պանտիր** , կեր ու Բանտիր ? :ap:
Kilikian dialects are so delicious. In Musa Ler it is Հուց/Hoots, in Marsah it is Հոց/hots. Just like in Marash it is չոց իս/ chots iss, and in Musaler it is չուց իս/choots iss, i.e Ինչպէս ես/how are you?
**It is slightly furkified of panir/peynir/pendir.

Edited by Arpa, 07 August 2013 - 07:47 AM.

#49 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:14 AM

I saw an Indian manufactured cheese labeled as "Paneer", Is there an Armenian connection to it or vice versa?

#50 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

I saw an Indian manufactured cheese labeled as "Paneer", Is there an Armenian connection to it or vice versa?

Yes, there is a connection. The word is originally from Sanskrit**. The Persians call it
پنیر
Paneer/Baneer*** "cheese" in Persian.
**Once I was in the company of some Idians/Sri Lankans, we were taking photos. one of them said say cheese, I said you means Baneer? She was floored, as to how I knew that word?
***Some other people call it peynir/pendir, just like at times we call sanr/comb sand@r Dzanr/heavy dzand@r.

Edited by Arpa, 07 August 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#51 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,599 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

I guess we both got it from the Persians. :)

#52 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

I learned a new word . հատապտուղ =berry

Raspberry=մորենի

http://nayiri.com/imagedDictionaryBrowser.jsp?dictionaryId=6&pageNumber=1507

http://www.med-practic.com/arm/78/19818/%D4%B1%D5%A6%D5%B6%D5%BE%D5%A1%D5%B4%D5%B8%D6%80%D5%AB%20%D5%80%D5%A1%D5%B5%D5%AF%D5%A1%D5%AF%D5%A1%D5%B6%20%D5%BF%D5%A1%D6%80%D5%A1%D5%B6%D5%B8%D6%82%D5%B6%D5%B6%D5%A5%D6%80%D5%A8%60%20%D5%B4%D5%B8%D6%80%D5%A5%D5%B6%D5%AB,%20%D5%B4%D5%BC%D5%A1%D5%B4%D5%B8%D5%B7%D5%AB,%20%D6%84%D5%A1%D6%80%D5%A1%D5%B4%D5%B8%D5%B7%D5%AB/article.more.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Raspberries,_fruit_of_four_species.jpg

File:Raspberries,_fruit_of_four_species.

Honey

http://hyeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=31054&page=1&#entry276349

http://repatarmenia.org/eng/honey-and-berry-festival/#.UiHpchPD8qQ

====

Honey and berry festival

On August 18, the first-ever Honey and Berries Festival was held in the Berd, Tavush region in Armenia.

Honeys, berries, beverages, as well as carpets and tapestries were displayed at the festival. Organizers of the festival are the Spiritual Revival of Tavush Foundation, “Serund” NGO and “Development and Preservation of Armenian Culinary Traditions” NGO.

The festival has included tasting of the honey and berries grown in Shamshadin, as well as tasting of dishes made of these berries and honey. The festival had also included exhibition of carpets and tapestries made by the craftsmen of Tavush region, as well as a number of events with national songs and dances.

Hayk Chobanyan, the founder of the Spiritual Revival of Tavush Foundation, and organizer of a festival of honey and berries, said: “The goal of our festival is to provide an opportunity to the participants and the guests to familiarize themselves with the marvelous honey and berries of Tavush region, to stimulate development of beekeeping in the region, as well as to contribute to the development of tourism and infrastructures”, he said.The Foundation has already signed several agreements with influential foreign companies engaged in sphere of beekeeping.

The festival lasted a day, but the organizers promise that it will be ongoing and that they will try to organize the next festival on the day that it was organized this year.

====

http://times.am/?p=29748&l=am

Տավուշի մարզի Բերդ քաղաքում օգոստոսի 18-ին կանցկացվի մեղրի և հատապտուղների փառատոն, որի նապատակը բիզնես ոլորտի հետաքրքրությունը այդ տարածաշրջանի նկատմամբ մեծացնելն է: Ինչպես հաղորդում է «Արմենպրես»-ը, այս մասին լրագրողների հետ հանդիպման ժամանակ հայտնեց Տավուշի «Հոգևոր վերածնունդ» հիմնադրամի նախագահ Հայկ Չոբանյանը: «Տավուշը մեծ ներուժ ունի, որը հատուկ քաղաքականություն մշակելու արդյունքում կարելի է զարգացնել: Մենք նպատակ ունենք խթանել հետաքրքրությունը Տավուշի նկատմամբ բիզնես ոլորտում»,- ասաց նա: Հայաստանում Նորվեգիայի պատվո հյուպատոս Թիմոթի Սթրեյթը, ով Բերդը (նախկին Շամշադին) համարում է Հայաստանում իր երկրորդ տունը Երևանից հետո, ևս համակարծիք է, որ մեծ Տավուշում կան ուշադրության արժանի ռեսուրսներ: «Այս փառատոնը լինելու է շարունակական և մեր նպատակն այն է, որ մասնակիցները հմտանան կազմակերպչական աշխատանքներում ու հետագայում իրենք շարունակեն դրանց իրականացումը»,- ասաց պատվո հյուպատոսը:

Մեղրի և հատապտուղների հավաքման ու վերամշակման ուղղություների ընտրությունը պատահական չի կատարվել, քանի որ դրանով կազմակերպիչները հետապնդում են մարզում այդ ուղղությունների զարգացումն ապահովելու նպատակ: «Տավուշը հայտնի է իր գողտրիկ բնությամբ, այն գրավիչ է հատկապես էկոտուրիզմի զարգացման համար: Փառատոնը գործիք է, որ գրավենք տարբեր անձանց ու կազմակերպությունների ուշադրությունը բիզնես ծրագրեր իրականացնելու համար»,-նշեց Հայկ Չոբանյանը:

Նա տեղեկացրեց, որ նախորդ տարի փառատոնին մասնակցել է մի քանի հազար մարդ, և այս տարի կազմակերպիչները կարող են հյուրընկալել մինչ 10 հազար այցելուի: Նա նաև նշեց, որ միջոցառմանը մասնակցում են Տավուշի մարզի բոլոր գյուղերի բնակիչները: «Տավուշը բավականին խաղաղ տարածաշրջան է: Այս միջոցառման միջոցով պետք է ցույց տանք, որ պետք չէ վախենալ այցելել այնտեղ, քանի որ Տավուշը շատ հանգիստ և անվտանգ տարածք է»,- ասաց նա:

Փառատոնի ժամանակ կներկայացվեն տեղի վարպետների ձեռքի աշխատանքները, կլինեն ցուցահանդեսներ, համերգային ծրագիր' տեղի արտիստների ու խմբերի մասնակցությամբ, կգործի հատապտուղների ավան, որտեղ կվաճառվեն տեղում հատապտուղներից պատրաստված ըմպելիքներ և կերակրատեսակներ, կներկայացվեն Տավուշին բնորոշ խոհանոցի կերակրատեսակները: «Անցյալ տարի բանահավաքչական մի ակցիա կազմակերպեցինք. դպրոցներում երեխաները գրեցին շարադրություն իրենց ընտանիքներում պատրաստվող յուրահատուկ ուտելիքների վերաբերյալ, և հենց դրանք էլ կպատրաստվեն փառատոնի ընթացքու մ»,-ասաց Հայկ Չոբանյանը:

«Շամշադինի մեղրի և հատապտուղների փառատոնը» տեղի կունենա Բերդի Սորայի այգում: Փառատոնն անցկացվում է Տավուշի «Հոգևոր վերածնունդ» և «Հայրենիքի զարգացման նախաձեռնություն» հիմնադրամների կողմից:

===

Some others call berry as tane= hatik,հատիկ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users