#61 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 03 August 2002 - 09:19 PM

Rubo - it is a mistake to take MJ's comments lightly - IMO - delivered sarcasticly or not...

#62 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts
  • Interests:Theology, Tennis, Jazz, Modern Art, Red Wine

Posted 04 August 2002 - 02:10 AM

Dear Nairi,

What makes you think that I am trying to teach anyone something?

To the contrary - I am trying to learn.

#63 elovna

elovna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 03:06 AM

Rubo. You may think that I have nothing to say. You may even be right. But I will say it anyway. And I even may not be addressing myself to you. You can just ignore me if you like.

I don't follow all the threads on this Forum. But sometimes when I go over them I am amused by the way the people are argueing, regardless of what the topic is or who is right or wrong on the subject.

I think I have a right to show my friendly face now and then, even if only to say 'nothing'.

What I have noticed here lately is that different people tend to interprete the same things in very different ways. Something very innocent can become very problematic. Somehow people take things personal very easily. Could it have to do with lack of trust or selfconscience or maybe frustration or even paranoia? I'm just thinking outloud here, please don't take offense.

#64 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 03:25 AM

Well my darling MJ, considering that you took the freedom last night to slander me and even call my thoughts futile, I thought it would only be fair for you to share your oh so important thoughts with me today. I'm a learner as well you know.

Good morrow to you too,
Nairi

#65 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 04:46 AM

Good Morning Dear Nairi,

How does the exercising of my freedom of calling your thoughts futile manifest slandering you?

#66 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 05:06 AM

MJ jan, it seemed to me that you were trying to teach me something last night. Something that I never grasped in the end. Your conclusion "I understand your condition" didn't make much sense to me. Yes, I was tired by this time, but I haven't changed my mind. I therefore kindly ask of you to save me from my futility by telling me where I went wrong.

#67 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 05:11 AM

Nairi,

"By your condition" I meant the fact of you being up so late, and possibly tired. I think you just deviated from the core of the issue several times and started to take the arguments very personal.

I sort of feel that things should not be like a contest "who wins the argument." One just has to try to get the bottom of the things to understand the issues deeply and to come up with some positions which are meaningful, well though out and serve some good purpose.

#68 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 05:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MJ:
I sort of feel that things should not be like a contest "who wins the argument." One just has to try to get the bottom of the things to understand the issues deeply and to come up with some positions which are meaningful, well though out and serve some good purpose.

I guess that's one thing we agree on.

Nairi

#69 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 05:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by THOTH:
MJ - (our forum clock maker/repairer) - I (believe that I) understand your positions completely - but you too must understand the frustrations Armenians have (regarding both the Turks and Azeris - etc) and sometimes the ignorance of the traps we set for ourselves. Its just not possible to expect that all will approach (all of) these issues rationally - and thats just the way it is and is likely going to be - it is you who need to appreciate this. Being right is not necessarily being right (for all things). I commend you for going easy though (of late)...but also consider that others don't have the benefit of your perspective (or intelligence). I don't mean to imply that others here are not intelligent - that would not be a true statement - but (most) others here do not have your breadth of experience, temperment or insight - again though - your correct (?) answers may never be correct (for us). And don't assume that others inherrently know the basis for your arguments. I am very sympathetic (to your positions) of course - and am also dismayed and pessimistic - as you are - and I know I am just being very roundabout here - but I don't think you should be as quick as you are to discount (the legitimacy) of other views here - even if they strike you as horribly conventional or otherwise non-productive (etc).

Thoth,

Sometimes, the biggest part of the solution of a problem is the understanding what the problems is and formulating it. Then, the formulation of the problem becomes much easier.

In the case of the activism around the Armenian Genocide, the tragedy is that this problem is not well formulated and therefore, it is consistently headed towards a deadlock without any meaningful solution. Meanwhile, it is producing new scores of schizophrenia and schizophrenics.

This has nothing to do with my views and perspectives.

I have a long trip in a few hours and have things to attend at home before then. Will be occasionally online.

Otherwise… cheerios…

#70 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 06:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MJ:
n the case of the activism around the Armenian Genocide, the tragedy is that this problem is not well formulated and therefore, it is consistently headed towards a deadlock without any meaningful solution.

Could you be more specific, i.e. give concrete examples of how this problem is not well formulated? And also, what you consider a meaningful solution?

Have a nice trip. I do hope to hear from you soon though.

Nair

#71 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 06:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MJ:
quote:
Originally posted by THOTH:
MJ - (our forum clock maker/repairer) - I (believe that I) understand your positions completely - but you too must understand the frustrations Armenians have (regarding both the Turks and Azeris - etc) and sometimes the ignorance of the traps we set for ourselves. Its just not possible to expect that all will approach (all of) these issues rationally - and thats just the way it is and is likely going to be - it is you who need to appreciate this. Being right is not necessarily being right (for all things). I commend you for going easy though (of late)...but also consider that others don't have the benefit of your perspective (or intelligence). I don't mean to imply that others here are not intelligent - that would not be a true statement - but (most) others here do not have your breadth of experience, temperment or insight - again though - your correct (?) answers may never be correct (for us). And don't assume that others inherrently know the basis for your arguments. I am very sympathetic (to your positions) of course - and am also dismayed and pessimistic - as you are - and I know I am just being very roundabout here - but I don't think you should be as quick as you are to discount (the legitimacy) of other views here - even if they strike you as horribly conventional or otherwise non-productive (etc).

Thoth,

Sometimes, the biggest part of the solution of a problem is the understanding what the problems is and formulating it. Then, the formulation of the problem becomes much easier.

In the case of the activism around the Armenian Genocide, the tragedy is that this problem is not well formulated and therefore, it is consistently headed towards a deadlock without any meaningful solution. Meanwhile, it is producing new scores of schizophrenia and schizophrenics.

This has nothing to do with my views and perspectives.

I have a long trip in a few hours and have things to attend at home before then. Will be occasionally online.

Otherwise... cheerios..

P.S. I meant, above,"Then, the solution of the problem becomes much easier."

#72 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 06:08 AM

Dear Nairi,

I have an international trip ahead of me today, and have very little time.

So that you answer your last question, please tell me what's the problem you are trying to solve.

#73 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 06:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MJ:
Dear Nairi,

I have an international trip ahead of me today, and have very little time.

So that you answer your last question, please tell me what's the problem you are trying to solve.

P.S. Funny, isn't it. I keep mistyping things. Clearly, I meant "So that you answer your last question."

#74 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 06:43 AM

Nevermind.

Bari tchanapar.

Nairi

#75 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 07:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nairi:
Nevermind.

Bari tchanapar.

Nairi

Shnorhakalutiun.

#76 khodja

khodja

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:genocide recognition

Posted 04 August 2002 - 09:27 AM

MJ,

Thanks the miserable domestic policies of your hero George W. Bush, I have had to got back to work in my old age. That is why I am not here to banter with the great King Arghisti. My investments have fallen through the bottom of the barrel while Georgie Bush's friends have embezzled billions of dollars for their multiple estates and yachts. I wish that we had the Great Fornicator back in the White House. His policies allowed me to retire at 50. Now Bush will put me on Skid Row in my so-called Golden Years.

#77 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 09:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by hagarag:
MJ,

Thanks the miserable domestic policies of your hero George W. Bush, I have had to got back to work in my old age. That is why I am not here to banter with the great King Arghisti. My investments have fallen through the bottom of the barrel while Georgie Bush's friends have embezzled billions of dollars for their multiple estates and yachts. I wish that we had the Great Fornicator back in the White House. His policies allowed me to retire at 50. Now Bush will put me on Skid Row in my so-called Golden Years.

OK. Don't have time for it.

But just think about the trick that your Great Fornicator played over you and others like you. On the other hand, though, you deserve it. Don't you think so?

#78 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 09:38 AM

Hagarag - you truthfully cannot blame all of the current problems on George JR (I mean his dad should take some blame no?) LOL. In fact neither party has the little guy's interests in mind. The sooner one realizes that the differences between the two are not really that great the sooner one can disconnect oneself from the lies of it all - IMO. I don't disagree at all with your critique of the current administration (and republicans in general) and - as much as I dislike Clinton personnaly - and his (pandering) approach - and his (non-exsistant foreign policy) - I've got to admit he wasn't such a bad Presisdent after all. Its funny how under his administration certain austerity measures were taken - and to great result - while the Republicans can only talk (of being fiscally conservative) - then do exactly the opposite. But it is only due to blindness for one to think that our current economic problems (& abuses) were only begun under the current administration.

#79 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 09:42 AM

MJ -

You point out a very real problem. Beyond recognition of the Genocide (a worthwhile goal in and of itself I believe) - I do not see any coherent goals or objectives. Additionally the strategy for Genocide recognition is seriously flawed as well - but you must understand - we (Armenians) are not perfect - and much of the approach is an emotional not intelectual one. Obviously we could do with some better strategizing and removal of these efforts from the entrenched who benefit from the perpetuation of denial - while calling for recognition. So what is to be done?

#80 khodja

khodja

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:genocide recognition

Posted 04 August 2002 - 10:49 AM

MJ,

I see that you are coming out of your closet to show us all what a mean-spirited conservative you are. So you want to see me in the gutter? Reminds me of the Armenians in my youth who resented me because I looked more European than Armenian. Your friends in the Administration want to see a lot of hungry people willing to work at wages comparable to that paid in the third world. Then they will not have to ship goods back to the developed countries, as they will have abundant slave labor available domestically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users