• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 SanVal

SanVal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:02 PM

Has anyone had laser eye surgery? I'm seriously considering having it done once I get insurance/more money, but I have some concerns.

Does your vision keep getting worse after you have it done, or does it help stop the progression?

If it gets worse, is it dangerous to have it again?

How good are the results if you have very poor vision to begin with (-11 in my case)?

#2 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE(SanVal @ Oct 20 2006, 11:02 PM) View Post
Has anyone had laser eye surgery? I'm seriously considering having it done once I get insurance/more money, but I have some concerns.

Does your vision keep getting worse after you have it done, or does it help stop the progression?

How good are the results if you have very poor vision to begin with (-11 in my case)?

I think Emil had it done, send him a PM. smile.gif

#3 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:26 AM

http://hyeforum.com/...showtopic=13834

#4 SanVal

SanVal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE(Yervant1 @ Oct 20 2006, 08:44 PM) View Post
I think Emil had it done, send him a PM. smile.gif

I would've, but his avatar makes me reluctant to do so.

#5 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE(SanVal @ Oct 21 2006, 02:18 PM) View Post
I would've, but his avatar makes me reluctant to do so.

He is OK, just a little womenizer thats all. tongue.gif smile.gif
Well he's got the answers for your questions.

#6 Emil

Emil

The Chosen One

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:35 PM

Don't worry, I won't bite. wink.gif

#7 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE(SanVal @ Oct 20 2006, 11:02 PM) View Post

What sort of laser surgery are you talking about?

Of what progression are you talking about?

Since laser surgery is used for retinien reparation and other surgeries to correct internal damages, you need to specify if you're talking about a simple laser surgery to not having to ware lens or for other cases.

#8 Mook

Mook

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:43 PM

In addition to asking the people who had the surgery, you also need to talk to a professional that will explain to you all the details. Although I havent done the surgery, I know some people that did. They had it done at Jules Stein Eye Center (at UCLA) which is also where I would recommend you to get. Some doctors charge less in other places, but this is not the time to be cheap. Better safe than sorry. The one bad thing about Jules Stein is that they want the money up front and do not do financing (monthly payments). Also, you have to choose what type you want: I would recommend the bladeless one.

Here is a link to some VERY BASIC knowledge about refractive surgery.
http://en.wikipedia....ser_Eye_Surgery

And if you would like to schedule a consultation with a pro at UCLA:
http://www.uclaser.com/

Best of luck!!!

smile.gif

#9 SanVal

SanVal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for the responses. I meant the simple one to correct nearsightedness...maybe "lasik" is the specific word they use.

#10 Emil

Emil

The Chosen One

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:15 PM

Yes, "Lasik" surgery is what you want. I had it done August 4th of this year, best decision I've made. The relief from not wearing contacts/glasses is awesome. No more getting up and having to reach for your glasses so you can see. I have no problems seeing now, I don't have the "halos" some people experience at night. The reason I don't is my doctor used the "wavefront" technology which eliminates that problem. Everybody has an opinion about doctors, but I think mine is truley one of the best, he's done the Lasik on multiple family members/friends of mine. Don't go with one of those places that offer discounts, it's your eyes, cheaper isn't better.

I went to see Dr. Berg, http://www.bergfeinfield.com/ The consultation is free, they do about 45 min's worth of tests to see if you're qualified for Lasik.

#11 SanVal

SanVal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE(Emil @ Oct 22 2006, 05:15 PM) View Post
Yes, "Lasik" surgery is what you want. I had it done August 4th of this year, best decision I've made. The relief from not wearing contacts/glasses is awesome. No more getting up and having to reach for your glasses so you can see. I have no problems seeing now, I don't have the "halos" some people experience at night. The reason I don't is my doctor used the "wavefront" technology which eliminates that problem. Everybody has an opinion about doctors, but I think mine is truley one of the best, he's done the Lasik on multiple family members/friends of mine. Don't go with one of those places that offer discounts, it's your eyes, cheaper isn't better.

I went to see Dr. Berg, http://www.bergfeinfield.com/ The consultation is free, they do about 45 min's worth of tests to see if you're qualified for Lasik.

Thanks, that's a very helpful site...and congratulations. I hope I can get my Christmas present.

#12 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,679 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE(SanVal @ Oct 22 2006, 08:38 PM) View Post
Thanks, that's a very helpful site...and congratulations. I hope I can get my Christmas present.

I told you he was your man smile.gif
Don't let that hippo fool you, but probably he'll ask you out in a couple of days. tongue.gif biggrin.gif

#13 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE(SanVal @ Oct 22 2006, 07:59 PM) View Post
Thanks for the responses. I meant the simple one to correct nearsightedness...maybe "lasik" is the specific word they use.

Then no, it doesn't stop progression, that's why you should get it only after a certain age, when your sight has stabilised.

#14 Mook

Mook

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE(QueBeceR @ Oct 22 2006, 06:04 PM) View Post
Then no, it doesn't stop progression, that's why you should get it only after a certain age, when your sight has stabilised.

That is correct. I would say wait until you are 23 - 24 years old and then go for a check up. TIf you dont have the the history of yearly eye exams, then the check up will be for a few times over an extended period. If they see your eyesight is not changing, then they will go ahead with the procedure. If they are, then they'll wait until it stabilizes or changes VERY minimally.

#15 Emil

Emil

The Chosen One

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE(Yervant1 @ Oct 22 2006, 05:44 PM) View Post
I told you he was your man smile.gif
Don't let that hippo fool you, but probably he'll ask you out in a couple of days. tongue.gif biggrin.gif

I already offered her my extra bedroom, she didn't respond. mad.gif

Yes, you have to wait till a certain age. Even with Lasik, at some point in life your eyes will change again, it's just called old age.

By the way, insurance will not cover Lasik, so start saving up.

Edited by Emil, 22 October 2006 - 10:46 PM.

#16 SanVal

SanVal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE(Mook @ Oct 22 2006, 07:59 PM) View Post
That is correct. I would say wait until you are 23 - 24 years old and then go for a check up. TIf you dont have the the history of yearly eye exams, then the check up will be for a few times over an extended period. If they see your eyesight is not changing, then they will go ahead with the procedure. If they are, then they'll wait until it stabilizes or changes VERY minimally.

Well, that's disappointing. I'm already past that age and it keeps decreasing by about -0.5 every year...but some of that might be attributable to graduate school, and thankfully I'm not doing that anymore. I hope they don't make me wait until I can only see spots of colors.

#17 SanVal

SanVal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:43 PM

And why the emphasis on "stabilization"? Is that realistic?
I thought the average person's eyes are like their weight...your weight only gets worse with age, and the same with your eyes.

#18 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE(SanVal @ Oct 23 2006, 09:43 PM) View Post
And why the emphasis on "stabilization"? Is that realistic?
I thought the average person's eyes are like their weight...your weight only gets worse with age, and the same with your eyes.

It is important, stabilization is primordial, while there is no direct limit on the number of times one could get lasic, there is no research on long term effect of continious uses of laser surgery. It also becomes expensive to get it 5,6 and 7 times. Consider that continual surgery could eventually lead to various eye conditions, some which will freak you.

Lasic is definitly not for everyone. I have stabilised eye sight for years, and I know I don't want to get it.

Also, consider that lasic is not a real correction, you seem to think that lasic correct the causes of the problem, it change the curvature of your cornea to compensate your crystalline lens inability to retract and focus the image on the retine. It is like using your cornea as contact lens.

#19 SanVal

SanVal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:58 PM

It's just that the other choices are terrible at this point.

After 13 years of wearing contacts, I seem to have developed allergies, and over the counter drops don't help anymore. You just have that itchy feeling all day, the way you feel when you haven't had enough sleep.

Wearing glasses all the time isn't a very good option either. Other than making your head, nose, and ears hurt, there are aesthetic reasons for not wanting to wear them. With my prescription, they make my eyes look a lot smaller than they are, and that doesn't look pretty to me.

And alternating between the two--which is what I'm doing right now--is alternating between two bad things.

#20 Emil

Emil

The Chosen One

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:06 PM

Just get the Lasik done, best $3000 you'll spend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users