3 replies to this topic

#1 Sebastia

Sebastia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:19 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a question about our language and was wondering if any of you had an idea why this is the case.

Am sure you've all in your lifetime have come across the strange Լ-Ղ letter switching in our language. Does anybody know when this change happened and why?

For instanse, when it comes to foreign names, we have

Լուկաս - Ղուկաս
Պոլոս - Պողոս
Սոլոմոն - Սողոմոն
Պելեստին - Պաղեստին
Բալտասար - Բաղդասար
and much more...

When it comes to foreign words, we have

Եկելեսի - Եկեղեցի (Iglesia - Church)
Տիտլոս - Տիտղոս (Titlos - Title)
Քալաք - Քաղաք (Qaghaq - City)
and more..

It would seem that these are only foreign words that are changing, but there are some examples of the Armenian language, in which our actual word is changing. For example,

we had a Bagratuni king named Smbat the confessor, and his name in our books is written Սմբատ Խոստովանող. But in Georgian and Greek books, its written Սմբատ Խոստովանոլ (Smbat Khostovanol). How is this possible??

Are we pronouncing our own words incorrectly?? Are we suppose to say

Ուտել - Ուտոլ (instead of Ուտող)
Պարել - Պարոլ (instead of Պարող)
Քայլել - Քայլոլ (instead of Քայլող)

#2 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:26 AM

Dear Sebastia welcome back. Please look here and search using words like “lazarus” etc.
http://hyeforum.com/...t=0
And if you have access to Ajarian’s Armatakan go to the end of Volume 4 to ՀԱՅԿԱԿԱՆՔ/Armeniaca, to article #36 “ԵՐԲ Լ ԴԱՐՁԱՎ Ղ “? When L turned to GH?

#3 Sebastia

Sebastia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:45 AM

Dear Sebastia welcome back. Please look here and search using words like “lazarus” etc.
http://hyeforum.com/...t=0
And if you have access to Ajarian’s Armatakan go to the end of Volume 4 to ՀԱՅԿԱԿԱՆՔ/Armeniaca, to article #36 “ԵՐԲ Լ ԴԱՐՁԱՎ Ղ “? When L turned to GH?

Thanls Arpa.

Unfortunately, I dont have Ajaryan's book, but from the passage you linked me to, it's a bit difficult to imagine that back in the days armenians sad "Ղավ" instead of "Լավ" (good).

L to GH.For the umpteenth time, the reason the Latin L and others is transliterated to sound like GH as in khaghogh, Lazarus-Ghazaros is, during the pre Mashtots era there really was not a sound for L as we know it now. The Armenian L sounded more like the GH, the French R since it was pronounced with the back of the tongue against the palate. By Mesrop's time we had been hellenized enough to need a symbol to be able to pronounce words like "hellenakan", even if we kept transliterating Helen as Heghin(eh). And now we have two symbols, one for the new L and one for the old L, gh, if you will. The reaon why the two cannot totally divorced so musch so that HMB has found it necsssary to use the Latin L with a slash through it.

something just doesn't click. How can we say gh instead of l. And then all of a sudden we decide to change some Gh's into L's, but at the same time keep some of them.

#4 Johannes

Johannes

Յովհաննէս

• Nobility
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:44 AM

Thanls Arpa.

Unfortunately, I dont have Ajaryan's book, but from the passage you linked me to, it's a bit difficult to imagine that back in the days armenians sad "Ղավ" instead of "Լավ" (good).

something just doesn't click. How can we say gh instead of l. And then all of a sudden we decide to change some Gh's into L's, but at the same time keep some of them.

There were two L, մեկը՝ Ղ, այժմու Լ-ի նախնին, միւսը՝ Լ, տարբեր արտասանւող՝ մի տեսակ լ:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users