22 replies to this topic

#1 gabber

gabber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 01:42 AM

Hi,

If you hade money and lived in Armenia, what kind of business would your startup?

What businesses can make profit in Armenia?

You have the money and knowledge of something but which idea is the best one to start considering Armenias economy and the state of the people.

#2 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,252 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 01:53 AM

QUOTE (gabber @ Feb 24 2005, 12:42 AM)
Hi,

If you hade money and lived in Armenia, what kind of business would your startup?

You have the money and knowledge of something but which idea is the best one to start considering Armenias economy and the state of the people.

no need for big money smile.gif
just get a DSL and start posting on Ebay smile.gif

you can find many Atists and many many who can offer you good's for Ebay

#3 gabber

gabber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 02:05 AM

QUOTE (MosJan @ Feb 24 2005, 09:53 AM)
no need for  big money  smile.gif
just  get a  DSL  and  start  posting  on Ebay smile.gif

you can  find  many Atists and many many who can offer you  good's  for Ebay

what do you mean? what are you going to sell to the people in Armenia via e-bay? And how many in Armenia are sitting with Internet Connections at home and buing online?

I meant what kind of business, like building contractor, computer store, restaurant or bars etc etc any ideas?

How about truck driving, delivery transports and so on?

#4 armjan

armjan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 02:10 AM

great question.
perhaps starting a company with an American afflaite in the states who would outsource software projects. so developers in armenia work on projects from the U.S.

-will need to have strict requirements in written form, among other
communication methods and processes, so that there aren't any misunderstandings. Its also not very feasible to start such a business arrangement without meeting the people you will be dealing with in person at least once.

-it doesn't depend on high capital and raw materials. All it needs are creative and hard working people. This, Armenia has in abundance

http://www.siliconarmenia.com

must perform cost analysis to c if profitable investment. I don't have the resources to do this analysis.

getting projects intially is something to think about.

Edited by armjan, 24 February 2005 - 02:13 AM.

#5 gabber

gabber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 02:40 AM

QUOTE (armjan @ Feb 24 2005, 10:10 AM)
great question.
perhaps starting a company with an American afflaite in the states who would outsource software projects. so developers in armenia work on projects from the U.S.

-will need to have strict requirements in written form, among other
communication methods and processes, so that there aren't any misunderstandings. Its also not very feasible to start such a business arrangement without meeting the people you will be dealing with in person at least once.

-it doesn't depend on high capital and raw materials.  All it needs are creative and hard working people.  This, Armenia has in abundance

http://www.siliconarmenia.com

must perform cost analysis to c if profitable investment. I don't have the resources to do this analysis.

getting projects intially is something to think about.

and if we exclude computers and software devolpment, what is there to start?

#6 armjan

armjan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:00 AM

QUOTE (gabber @ Feb 24 2005, 02:40 AM)

to be quite frank, this is why I think it's feasible. start-up costs are minimal compared to other startups. costs include but not limited to...
-both hardware/software can be obtained at minimal costs

-finding ppl(U.S & AM) who are willing to spend a considerable time on this. U.S staff should take care of language translations by writing formal specifications. A good place for starters may be college graduates in both countries, other existing outsourcing firms.

-need to do cost analysis of how cheap we can bid on contract(s) for and still maintain operating costs/profits

-costs in establishing a small biz/corp (less than $2000)
-legal documentation(contracts, user agreements, liability forms)

-costs can be perhaps minimized by finding venture capatalists or other tech companies who are willing to contribute resources or make an investment to further expand marketshare.

the biggest challenge is obtaining the trust of U.S. firms. but given what i have observerd in the past working in this industry, this may not be as difficult as it sounds. I mean this is an incremental development process, so the idea is to find the barrier where net sustains current costs and is profitable to the degree of expectancy of it's participants.

being that this is an outsourcing gig, this does limit the types of projects we can bid on. my experience has been that customers really don't know what they want, so there is a constant feedback process in form of prototypes/schematics/UML/etc to reach an desirable level of satisfaction. But i am confident that if the right processes are created/sustained, this is a feasible/profitable endeavor.

Edited by armjan, 24 February 2005 - 03:07 AM.

#7 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:17 AM

ah, what the heck... i'll give a few of my ideas out...

most buildings in armenia don't have centralized (or otherwise) air conditioning, especially public buildings, such as concert halls, etc... if you can get the government (or others) to finince this, you can make money by installing a/c in such buildings...

power plants: hydro, wind, solar...

good old factories... you do the research on what is in demand... some examples: textile (i don't know how competetive it could be, but the industry has been practically nonexistant after the earthquake), furniture...

EDIT:

agriculture... a lot of potential, in my opinion...

Edited by Harut, 24 February 2005 - 03:20 AM.

#8 gabber

gabber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:50 AM

how about something that doesnt require knowledge in computers and hi education. like driving a truck, laying brick, marshotkadriving, selling stuff anything on that subject?

#9 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,252 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:00 AM

QUOTE (gabber @ Feb 24 2005, 01:05 AM)
what do you mean? what are you going to sell to the people in Armenia via e-bay? And how many in Armenia are sitting with Internet Connections at home and buing online?

I meant what kind of business, like building contractor, computer store, restaurant or bars etc etc any ideas?

How about truck driving, delivery transports and so on?

yyou will sell not in Armenia but from Armenia

#10 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,252 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE (gabber @ Feb 24 2005, 01:40 AM)

my addvice - just go to Ar menia - stay for 3 to 6 months and see...

Turism is one of the first
3 to 5 cars - good drivers - for rent or for turs

#11 gabber

gabber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE (MosJan @ Feb 24 2005, 03:03 PM)
my addvice - just go to Ar menia - stay  for  3 to 6 months  and see...

Turism is  one of the first
3 to 5  cars - good drivers - for rent or  for turs

thats a quite a nice idea but i dont feel like there is any profits there, the bussiest moments are in the summer but how many years will it take to get your money back for the 5 cars etc?

Edited by gabber, 24 February 2005 - 07:19 AM.

#12 Arvestaked

Arvestaked

Aspiring Memetic Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (gabber @ Feb 23 2005, 11:42 PM)
Hi,

I would like to create numerous factory businesses. Making anything on a large scale that could be sold around the world. How cool would it be to have Armenian cars? ... And they could be optimized for insurance fraud! biggrin.gif Seriously, though. Factories. More products around the world need to say "Made in Armenia."

#13 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:33 PM

My little dream...Start a motorcycle touring trips around Armenia.There are lot of people who prefer nice advetures on dirt bikes.
I had similar experiance in Greece and loved it.Feel free to steal my idea that is if you can ride... biggrin.gif

#14 armjan

armjan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (Armat @ Feb 24 2005, 11:33 PM)
My little dream...Start a motorcycle touring trips around Armenia.There are lot of people who prefer nice advetures on dirt bikes.
I had similar experiance in Greece and loved it.Feel free to steal my idea that is if you can ride... biggrin.gif

that sounds like a great idea!

#15 Amina

Amina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:57 AM

Armenian nation decided to turn Armenia into a taxi parking place huh.gif
Carry on a taxi service...

#16 Eloren

Eloren

Mysterious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, art, games, reading and Armenia

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:43 AM

Does anyone know the average amount you would need to start a little modest business in Armenia? Let's say a little cafe or something related to tourism?

I know it's too general but i don't really have a good idea yet..

One armenian told me in the plane that with 10,000$, you can start something good.. I doubt a little..

#17 Anahit

Anahit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:44 AM

QUOTE (Eloren @ Nov 14 2005, 02:43 AM)
Does anyone know the average amount you would need to start a little modest business in Armenia? Let's say a little cafe or something related to tourism?

I know it's too general but i don't really have a good idea yet..

One armenian told me in the plane that with 10,000$, you can start something good.. I doubt a little..

well... this has nothing to do with tourism, but is still a business, so...

i was quite shocked to hear that people in armenia buy 2nd hand cars on quite high prices. For example, they told me, u can bring an old car from abroad, that u paid 2000 US $ and resell it in Armenia for 2-3 times the price. in this case 10,000$ is more than enough biggrin.gif

#18 shaunt

shaunt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:44 PM

A strip club, and a prostitution house.

Keep Armenian girls in Armenia.

#19 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 14 December 2005 - 09:29 PM

Can this thread be extended to business in general? Lately I've been thinking about opening up an "Etiquette School" for women and men. Simply because I feel like women are losing their femininity and men, their gentlemanness. I read somewhere that two women in England have opened a similar school. It would be interesting to incorporate some modern approaches, such as business, confidence, investment, among other conventional subjects. Sexology would also be an important topic for both genders. I miss the whole gentleman approach, like holding doors, opening them, holding coats, giving way to pregnant women and older ladies as well as gentleness and stylishness of women. I feel as if people have become generally rough. What do you guys think?

#20 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,252 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 10:13 PM

Open-Air Laser & Light music Show

"Music synthesized w/laser create and combine a variety of sounds, letting an accomplished musician play the sounds together, to make an enthralling sonic experience"

see http://www.lasershow...ical-shows.html

it can be don smile.gif
Like in GArni Dzor on the rock's

or i n Ughtasar

Show about Armenia it's beginning
Hayk and Bell
Lusavorich & Lusamarich

will not cost much
all can be placed on trailers and moved wan the show is over + all you need is tolk to some travel agents pay some $$ evening shows for 100 +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users