What do you think ?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2000 - 09:33 AM

MJ,

You've presented me with a very interesting point of view--possibly raising a child to adulthood as an Armenian without the Genocide entering into it. I'm not saying it will be hard to do, just different. It has always been such a "given" when discussing being Armenian, that to think of the world without it is strange. Often strange is good.

I believe our parents and grandparents were correct in teaching it to us at an early age, but with the next generation or maybe the one beyond that, it's relevancy is questionable. I'm not saying it should be forgotten or is not important, but relative to other Armenian issues, there are more pressing matters.

As I said once before here (and in the Glendale News-Press one time), I just want to see the Genocide recognized in my grandmother's lifetime. I think her pain of never knowing her grandparents made her (and my grandfather) try that much harder to be incredible, loving influences.

Similar with my other relatives, especially those that were there first-hand. The love they gave to me as a result of what they lived with created the debt I feel I now carry. I owe it to them to not forget the Genocide and to try my best to be to my kids and grandkids what they were to me.

My point of view comes from appreciation of those who made it out alive, as opposed to anger towards those that let it happen. A family and humanistic view as opposed to a historical and more global view.

#42 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2000 - 10:20 AM

Dear Boghos,

I'm well aware of the differences, but not so about similarities. I'm not against learning and using somebody else's positive experiences, but I'm against copying them, simply because we are not Jews, and our Diaspora in many ways is unique unlike Jews who have 2000 years old Diaspora.My firm conviction is that we should take decisions and behave in a manner that corresponds to our needs and goals taking into consideration only our Armenian realities.

#43 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2000 - 12:16 AM

Dear Gamavor,

I understand what you are saying. I agree that there are key differences, and that we should look at our own reality. When it comes to similarities I am refering more to the strategic and developmental aspects of a new country rather than other aspects.

#44 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2000 - 12:20 AM

Agree! I wish Armenians in Armenia enjoy the same standart of living as Jews in Tel Aviv do!

[This message has been edited by gamavor (edited November 06, 2000).]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users