Celebrating their freedom

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2000 - 07:56 PM

Celebrating their freedom
Vedugo Park draws thousands who brave heat to celebrate ninth anniversary of Armenia's independance

By TIM WILLERT

VERDUGO MOUNTAINS -- Inspired by the amplified sounds of her homeland, Caroline Ciftc ignored the near 100-degree temperature to express herself on a grass dance floor.
"I love Armenian songs, and I like to dance a lot," said the 16-year-old Hoover High student, sweat running down her forehead. "Everybody I know is here."
Thousands converged on Verdugo Park Sunday for a cultural festival full of conversation, food, music, dancing and gratitude.
They came from Pasadena, Burbank, Hollywood and the San Fernando Valley to celebrate the ninth anniversary of Armenia's independence, which falls on Thursday.
"Seeing all these people here today shows that we, as a community, can come together to celebrate something as important as the democratic independence of Armenia," said Gary Sinanian, executive director of Gaidz, a youth organization, and one of the festival organizers.
Glendale residents Sona Mavyan and her cousin, Isashoolian Ashkhen, sat at a picnic table with neighbors and their children, and munched on watermelon, red licorice and cheese puffs.
"Our grandparents sacrificed to get an independent nation, so it's a very emotional day," Ashkhen said through an interpreter. "I feel fortunate that we can celebrate our culture in other lands like America."
Sunday marked the second year of the festival, which is designed to draw Armenians closer by promoting their heritage.
"We want people to get to know each other," said Mike Khatchadourian, an event organizer. "They can eat Armenian food, and they can buy Armenian books."
Artoosh Zargarian, his wife Gohar and their daughter Tatev were among those braving the heat for a chance to take in the festivities. The family moved to Glendale two years ago to escape political unrest in Iran.
"I'm happy because it's peaceful here," Gohar said through an interpreter. "There are a lot of Armenian organizations here that support us, and it's good for the children."
Rep. Jim Rogan (R-Glendale) and Assemblyman Jack Scott (D-La Crescenta) were scheduled to attend the six-hour festival along with Glendale Mayor Dave Weaver, and state assembly hopeful Craig Missakian.
"They all wanted to get involved," Sinanian said. "It's a matter of the candidates reaching out and showing interest."
Rogan's opponent in the the 27th Congressional District, Adam Schiff, had not indicated he would attend, organizers said.

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2000 - 12:41 PM

Do you really think people went to the festivities to celebrate Armenia's independence? They went for the food and for the music and frankly, to see who else would go. Needless to say I stayed home. I can't tell you how much I dislike any and all nationalistic gatherings which have hypocrisy at heart and nothing more.

I apologize for being quite this blunt about it all. Don't take it personally.

Gayane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users