Photo

Some Computer Help Please

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

Julius Caesar was a salad dressing dude!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:22 PM

So my desktop has been having a problem. I don't know what it is but I'll describe it.

Every time I open either a folder (e.g., My Documents) or a browser, the scroll bar uncontrollably scrolls without my moving it. I usually use the mouse wheel to scroll up or down using the scroll bar but this occurs precisely when I do not do anything! It's been annoying the hell out of me and it moves up and down in different times.

I have tried to do every sort of virus scan, and I have tried all sorts of adware and spyware removal programs. Nothing seems to solve the problem.

I even tried to uninstall the Logitech drivers that I thought may have been causing the problem, yet it still persists. Short of reformatting, I don't know what else to do.

#2 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:23 PM

try a new mouse...

#3 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE (Harut @ Jun 1 2008, 07:23 PM)
try a new mouse...

I already have. I forgot to mention that. It didn't work.

#4 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:59 PM

I would like to label this thread as the "Anoy-e-mouse" problem lol.gif

Sorry I don't have a clue why that is. Sounds like either a bad mouse (which you have rulled out), or some sort of prank software that's messing with you. It might not be something that is common enough that will be detected by a anti-virus. But a look at the list of running processes might help (in winxp, press ctrl-alt-dell, click on task manager, then processes). There could be a long list of strange running processes but usually a quick google search on the name can reveal if it's something that should be there or not.

Also check behind your computer and make sure no one has plugged in anything unusual biggrin.gif

Edited by Sip, 02 June 2008 - 12:01 AM.

#5 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • Interests:Anything and Everything

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:48 AM

Anon jan, when was the last time your mouse acted normal? you should try to restore your computer at an earlier date, that should fix the problem!!!

#6 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:11 AM

Could the scroll button on the mouse just be stuck? (Er... do you eat & type?) ;-)

#7 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:14 PM

Remove your keyboard and see if that fix your problem. If it does, it means you eat while using your computer.

#8 Em

Em

Em

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:03 PM

I have a problem as well. I would like to learn how to delete the back up files of my laptop. Or something like that. huh.gif smile.gif msn-cry.gif Very lost and confused. smile.gif I am lending my laptop to someone for a period of time, maybe indefinitely if I can get a new one. I would really like to clear all records of browsing history/cookies/etc.. I am pretty sure that Tools- Internet Options- Delete All option is not enough right? So how do I clear the back up files? I don't remember if I have anything to worry about but so many ppl have had access to it that I don't know what is on it. And more specifically I set certain bank and credit card accounts so that they remember my password when I sign on to their site and also places like HF too. I really would prefer that this person not have access to such private personal info.

And another matter I am not certain about is if you remove/uninstall a downloaded program such as LimeWire is it really gone or are traces of it forever ingrained in my laptops history/memory? Do comps really remember and record each keystroke? That would suck!

Thanx in advance for any and all help. smile.gif

#9 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:14 PM

It is very hard to get rid of all traces without wiping out everything and restarting from scratch (includes reinstalling the operating system). And even the, the information is still probably on your hard drive and someone who knows how to do it, can probably get a lot of things back. There are ways to wipe things clean which for starters would involve writing something to every part of your disk (even the erased parts).

Now keep in mind they have shown that it is possible to recover some data in a lab (with special equipment) even if it has been rewritten many many times! But that is really not something you should worry about smile.gif

You can start by doing all the clearing things in internet options .. delete files, cookies, history, passwords, forms (I think there is a delete all button). But that doesn't mean all your private stuf is gone ... you should look into the "My Documents" folder and remove things you don't want. But your files can pretty much be anywhere on disk (it also depends on where you save things yourself).

Other places to look for and delete things are in:

C:\Documents and Settings\{your user name}\Local Settings\Temp (you can delete everything here)
C:\Windows\Temp

I am not sure what operating system you have but you could consider putting a password on your user account (if it doesn't have one) and create a fresh new user account for this other person. You can do this in control panel, user accounts typically. This way, your settings, applications, bookmarks, documents etc won't be changed while that person is using it. But this does not mean the person cannot access those things on a regular windows PC.

#10 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:19 PM

Forgot to mention that every program may have a different place where it stores information. Some store things in the folder they are installed (like under C:\Program Files\{Program filer} ..), others (more common case), store things under C:\Documents and Settings...

Some programs store things in the windows registry. But unless you are really worries about this person, I wouldn't mess with the registry if I were you. Ultimately, if you are that paranoid about this person, you probably wouldn't be handing over your laptop tongue.gif Other programs like Limewire etc can be configured to store things in various other folders (such as for downloaded files) and of course they each have their own logs and histories and may not necessarily be wiped automatically even if you uninstall those programs. You might have to go looking to find them and delete them yourself.

There are of course many other things but it all depends on what kinds of things you have been doing with your computer.

Edited by Sip, 02 June 2008 - 04:21 PM.

#11 Garo

Garo

Veteran

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (Anonymouse @ Jun 1 2008, 05:22 PM)
So my desktop has been having a problem. I don't know what it is but I'll describe it.

Every time I open either a folder (e.g., My Documents) or a browser, the scroll bar uncontrollably scrolls without my moving it. I usually use the mouse wheel to scroll up or down using the scroll bar but this occurs precisely when I do not do anything! It's been annoying the hell out of me and it moves up and down in different times.

I have tried to do every sort of virus scan, and I have tried all sorts of adware and spyware removal programs. Nothing seems to solve the problem.

I even tried to uninstall the Logitech drivers that I thought may have been causing the problem, yet it still persists. Short of reformatting, I don't know what else to do.

Try to reboot into Safe mode and see if you get the same issue or not. If you don't then it's a software issue (corrupted driver files/settings) otherwise it's a hardware issue (faulting USB port, controller, etc). Try to change the USB port where you connect the mouse or switch from USB port into PS/2 port (the older format) to see if that makes any difference.

#12 Anonymouse

Anonymouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:54 AM

QUOTE (Garo @ Jun 2 2008, 06:05 PM)
Try to reboot into Safe mode and see if you get the same issue or not. If you don't then it's a software issue (corrupted driver files/settings) otherwise it's a hardware issue (faulting USB port, controller, etc). Try to change the USB port where you connect the mouse or switch from USB port into PS/2 port (the older format) to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks alot. I actually tried accessing in safe mode and the problem still persisted, which, per your advice, then leads me to conclude it's a software issue.

I guess reformatting is the way. Damn it, I was hoping to avoid that so I won't have to reinstall all the programs all over.

#13 Garo

Garo

Veteran

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (Anonymouse @ Jun 3 2008, 12:54 AM)
Thanks alot. I actually tried accessing in safe mode and the problem still persisted, which, per your advice, then leads me to conclude it's a software issue.

I guess reformatting is the way. Damn it, I was hoping to avoid that so I won't have to reinstall all the programs all over.

It's the opposite. If you still get the same problem in safe mode then most likely it's a hardware problem not software.
If your mouse has USB connector and your computer has USB ports in front of the computer try to connect it there to see if that makes any difference. Also try to use USB to PS/2 adapter. Most USB mouse come with that adapter in the box.

#14 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:07 PM

Mouse, one more time on what exactly the problem is ... does it happen in all applications? Is it only vertical scrolling or side to side as well? Any other things you see? Is there any pattern in the timing or does it coincide with any other acitivity? Is it regular or does it seem completely random? Does it go away if you unplug your mouse and keyboard all together?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users