• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Interests:mreowing purring snuggling sleeping

Posted 04 March 2001 - 01:24 PM

Friday, March 2 marks the opening of a major exhibition of Armenian art and
history at the British Library in London, "Treasures from the Ark: 1700
Years of Armenian Christian Art" celebrating the 1700th anniversary of the
founding of the Armenian Church. The exhibit runs through May 27, 2001.

The exhibition catalogue by Dr. Vrej Nersessian of the British Library has
over 200 works of art including illuminated manuscripts, stone crosses,
sculpture, textiles and ceramics from collections in over twenty countries,
many of which have never been seen outside Armenia.

#2 bellthecat

bellthecat

A poor kitty, lost in the rain.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 04 March 2001 - 01:57 PM

See their website for more info (under the exhibitions section)
http://www.bl.uk/

The online tour is interesting

Steve

#3 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Chatting, Getting to know people, studying reading playing/listening to all types of music, relaxing, generally having a great time and enjoying life!!!

Posted 04 March 2001 - 02:40 PM

hhm! This looks promising. I will look at the link you kindly left, for dates, times, etc. Then I can tell the hye forum what I have seen/and take pics of the stuff! Thank you..

#4 bellthecat

bellthecat

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 05 March 2001 - 08:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kazza:
hhm! This looks promising. I will look at the link you kindly left, for dates, times, etc. Then I can tell the hye forum what I have seen/and take pics of the stuff! Thank you..

Kazza, Do you know if you CAN take pictures inside the gallery?

I am probably going to travel to Paris at the middle of this month to see the Ani exhibition, I might stop off in London to see this one as well!

Steve

#5 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Chatting, Getting to know people, studying reading playing/listening to all types of music, relaxing, generally having a great time and enjoying life!!!

Posted 05 March 2001 - 09:53 AM

I'll ring them up and find out. Quite the little jet setter, eh? Stopping off, here, and there..

#6 Arev

Arev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 March 2001 - 10:22 AM

See their website for more info (under the exhibitions section)

GREAT SITE!

#7 bellthecat

bellthecat

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 06 March 2001 - 04:11 PM

quote:
Quite the little jet setter, eh? Stopping off, here, and there..

I'm not really - I find that the run up to travelling anywhere (the planning, thinking what to do, where to stay, tickets, etc) is so stressful that I try to pack as much into each dose of the actual travel as I can. I'd much rather just stay in and watch TV!

Steve

#8 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 07 March 2001 - 04:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bellthecat:
I'm not really - I find that the run up to travelling anywhere (the planning, thinking what to do, where to stay, tickets, etc) is so stressful that I try to pack as much into each dose of the actual travel as I can. I'd much rather just stay in and watch TV!

Steve

Sometimes, nothing beats a nice, quiet night in! But I really get exited about traveling if it is somewhere where I have never been or not. If it's just to cyprus , well , the accom is always taken care of. But I'm not too keen on the villagers saring and gossiping,about you being so and so 's daughter, what youre doing, whether you have put on or lost weight, (yes, it's that petty!) But the ride in the beautiful paphos mountains makes up for it all..,

But thanks A lot for this info.. I will definatley follow this up!

#9 bellthecat

bellthecat

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 08 March 2001 - 04:38 PM

quote:
But I'm not too keen on the villagers saring and gossiping,about you being so and so 's daughter, what youre doing, whether you have put on or lost weight

Don't travel with relatives, or to relatives!!

One of the best things about travel is to leave your normal identity behind - I don't mean invent a fake one, but just that you have the total control of every decision you make, when you get up, what you wear, where you go, what you do, when you eat, the length of your day, etc. Its an irresistable freedom when you get used to it, especialy if you are fortunate to be travelling for a purpose.

Steve

#10 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 11 March 2001 - 08:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bellthecat:
Don't travel with relatives, or to relatives!!

One of the best things about travel is to leave your normal identity behind - I don't mean invent a fake one, but just that you have the total control of every decision you make, when you get up, what you wear, where you go, what you do, when you eat, the length of your day, etc. Its an irresistable freedom when you get used to it, especialy if you are fortunate to be travelling for a purpose.

Steve

Well Steve, if you travel is relatives-orientated, then it is just for duty. All other travel purporses is for fun!! (even for work - because I enjoy work) every time I travel it is ALWAYS for a purpose, I need to accomplish or learn something at the end of it. And I can actualy be SHOCK! HORROR! an adult! With my own mind! Instead of a good little woman. They even treated my mum like a baby when she was 33.

Sometimes visiting a new place can bring out different things in people. When I went to Florida with my aunts (I get on with these ones as if they are my age, so that's ok. they said I "blossomed" (their words, not mine" so much that I just seemed like a new person.

If I felt that way about Florida, Just imagine how I would feel about CA, or Karabagh (I am going to both those places for my roots.) I wanna go to California to find out what this generation of Armenian people are like. Don't know if you ever read some of my other earlier posts, explaining I had armenian blood running through my veins but never had a chance to explore it much in my upbringing. This is because my grandparents were so badly affected by the genocide they just wanted to forget a lot of stuff. That doeant mean forgetting the armenian culture or language, but my grandfather tried to pass it on to my father and his brother and sister but they didn't follow it through very strictly, my dad the least.

#11 bellthecat

bellthecat

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 15 March 2001 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for your words Kazza. I was thinking that rather than saying people should travel for a purpose, I should have said people should travel WITH a purpose.

But getting back to the exhibition , I will be visiting it this Monday, the 19th. If I can take pictures then I'll post some of them here.

I am particularly interested in the ornate medieval door from St. Karapet monastery because I have visited the monastery they came from (or rather the piles of rubble that is all that now remains of the monastery) - who would have thought 76 years ago that within a lifetime the largest remaining part of the monastery would be something as fragile as a bit of wood. St. Karapet, by the way, was the second most important monastery in Armenia.

Aparently the door was found in a Turkish village during the 1980s by a visiting German engineer. Because he had contacts with the Turkish army he was able to export the door to Europe, where he sold it to a rich Jewish collector in London.

Steve

#12 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 16 March 2001 - 03:08 PM

Sorrylng on a flinging into totally different directions as usual, "digressing, as Gayanne would say.

About the exhibition: hold that thought, I will write more later on.

#13 bellthecat

bellthecat

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 20 March 2001 - 09:49 AM

Photography was forbidden at both the London and Paris (Ani) exhibitions - so no pictures But I'll write something about both exhibitions later.

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users