Jump to content


Photo

How about the Oscars?


  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 hyebruin

hyebruin

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 12:19 PM

Did anyone watch the oscars? It felt kind of strange! you never knew if someone was going to "go political" onstage!!! I'm glad they booooooed off that guy who was bashing the prez, the election,...etc. he wanted to have his own little soap box...just say your "many thanks" and leave!~~~~the "pianist" (best actor) was so sweet! he actually got teary eyed when talking about the war~~~(hope that wasn't acting!!!)

#2 Azat

Azat

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Los Angeles, CA
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 24 March 2003 - 10:08 AM

The guy that was booooooooooooed was our friends Michael Moore of "Roger & Me" and most recently "Bowling for Columbine" fame. I thought that was the funniest thing that happened at these Oscars. He possibly even jeopardized his career with that move. We have to see.

Was surprised that The Pianist won so many critical Oscars even when it had not won a singe Golden Globe or Directors Guild Award(I think).

Chicago ruled. It was a great adaptation of the play and everyone was superb in it.

The only sad part of the Oscars this year was not enough cleavage

#3 Sip

Sip

    Buffet Connoisseur

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Online

Posted 24 March 2003 - 10:29 AM

The funniest part was when Steve Martin made the gay comment and the camera zoomed on Jack Nicholson. It's nice that Jack was a good sport about it.

About Michael Moore ... I've often liked what he has to say and I enjoy watching him at different talk shows and stuff. But that crap he pulled was not only in poor taste, but completely inappropriate. Glad there were not more people like him ...

#4 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2003 - 10:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sip:
The funniest part was when Steve Martin made the gay comment and the camera zoomed on Jack Nicholson. It's nice that Jack was a good sport about it. <img border="0" alt="[thumbup]" title="" src="smilies/thumbup.gif" />

About Michael Moore ... I've often liked what he has to say and I enjoy watching him at different talk shows and stuff. But that crap he pulled was not only in poor taste, but completely inappropriate. Glad there were not more people like him ...

This man had the gots to say what he think. More people like him are needed in America.

#5 Sip

Sip

    Buffet Connoisseur

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Online

Posted 24 March 2003 - 11:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Domino:
This man had the gots to say what he think. More people like him are needed in America.

The man is an actor/director. The man was receiving an award for making a documentary. The man is NOT a political analyst and the man was certainly not asked his opinion about the world. The man was simply asked to accept an award for his work and thank those who deserve credit for his achievement.

But noooooooo ... the man completely misused the opportunity to have a verbal diarrhea of all the crap in his brain. He is nothing more than an opportunistic weasel who was only thinking about his strange personal agenda.

#6 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2003 - 11:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sip:
quote:
Originally posted by Domino:
This man had the gots to say what he think. More people like him are needed in America.

The man is an actor/director. The man was receiving an award for making a documentary. The man is NOT a political analyst and the man was certainly not asked his opinion about the world. The man was simply asked to accept an award for his work and thank those who deserve credit for his achievement.

But noooooooo ... the man completely misused the opportunity to have a verbal diarrhea of all the crap in his brain. He is nothing more than an opportunistic weasel who was only thinking about his strange personal agenda.

This has nothing to do with the reason why he was on stage, it has everything to do with the fact that what he said, you didn't agree with. Be honnest with yourself Seaphan, would you have said the same if he were to tell something like: " I hope our soldiers succeed to revert the regime in Iraq" Be honnest and answer this question. We are not talking about a simple opinion about a subject, we are talking about a WAR, I think its a kind of a serious subject and it is enough serious to bring it up and make his opinion.

#7 Sip

Sip

    Buffet Connoisseur

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Online

Posted 24 March 2003 - 11:55 AM

Although as I've said before I am in general in favor of this "war", I do in fact agree a lot with what he was trying to say.

I totally agree we have a "ficticious" president.
I totally agree that many of the official reasons they are giving for this war are also ficticious.

I just can't stand for people who know nothing about anything standing up in such a place and claim to know exactly what's going on. Protest if you must ... but everything has a time and a place ... and that was neither the time nor the palce.

#8 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2003 - 12:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sip:
Although as I've said before I am in general in favor of this "war", I do in fact agree a lot with what he was trying to say.

I totally agree we have a "ficticious" president.
I totally agree that many of the official reasons they are giving for this war are also ficticious.

I just can't stand for people who know nothing about anything standing up in such a place and claim to know exactly what's going on. Protest if you must ... but everything has a time and a place ... and that was neither the time nor the palce.

LOL ! Don't tell me you are embarassed to be an American right now. Just wait vava loading the movie in his server, you will be much more embarassed. Or maybe do you want I send it to you by attach if you can't wait. I warn you, everything funny you have seen about Bush and monkeys are joke compared with this BOMB movie. It worth an Oscar.

#9 Azat

Azat

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Los Angeles, CA
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 25 March 2003 - 12:41 AM

Every village has an idiot that includes the Oscars' Village.

I can tell you that I am VERY proud to be an American. Before and now as well. A war or a president is not going to change my mind one way or another.

#10 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2003 - 12:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Azat:
Every village has an idiot that includes the Oscars' Village.

I can tell you that I am VERY proud to be an American. Before and now as well. A war or a president is not going to change my mind one way or another.

Every village has its idiot, not the Oscars village, the Oscars village has one individual having common sense, the rest are idiots.

#11 vava

vava

    :yawn:

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 24 March 2003 - 09:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Azat:
I can tell you that I am VERY proud to be an American. Before and now as well.

And I am very proud to have Americans amongst my friends. It doesn't mean I have to always be in agreement concerning their foreign policy. And in defense of Michael Moore, while I agree that his choice of venue for the delivery of his comments was perhaps questionable at best, he certainly garnered attention & increased the profile of the issues that he deeems important. After all, he is an activist. And that is what activism is about - it's about mobilising the great number of American citizens that have never had cause to question their leaders, by exposing them (however inappropriately) to other viewpoints.

Opportunist? No, frankly, I think he just may have sabotaged the rest of his career. Notoriety? yes. Credibilty? maybe. Enhanced future job prospects in Hollywood? I doubt it.

[ March 24, 2003, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: vava ]

#12 Azat

Azat

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Los Angeles, CA
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 24 March 2003 - 10:27 PM

This is just my opinion, but I think what he did was decrease the number of people(mostly Americans) who will see his movies in the future and I think all he did was bring negative light to his issue/cause.

I agree with you about the above comments and there are MANY things that I disagree on with my president and the country and the foreign policy...

#13 Cilician

Cilician

    Junior Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Location:Yerevan/LA

Posted 25 March 2003 - 07:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sip:
I just can't stand for people who know nothing about anything standing up in such a place and claim to know exactly what's going on. Protest if you must ... but everything has a time and a place ... and that was neither the time nor the palce.

Go to www.michaelmoore.com to see if he knows what he is talking about. He knows ALL the facts (see specifically http://www.bowlingfo...rful/index.php) and I am sorry but if you believe the war is wrong you have a duty and obligation to say so every forum you are given.

#14 Sip

Sip

    Buffet Connoisseur

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,365 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Online

Posted 25 March 2003 - 09:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Raffi Kojian:
... He knows ALL the facts ...

He he he he! ALL THE FACTS? Just take a look towards the end of this thread where vava posts a letter that Moore supposedly wrote.

He claims that NO one is for war in the US and that we LOVE the french!!!! You seriously think this guy is in check with reality?

#15 564312

564312

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Location:cocos islands

Posted 25 March 2003 - 10:46 AM

this actors are just pissed because Bush is not inviting them over to the white house for political advise like Clinton did.

#16 Cilician

Cilician

    Junior Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Location:Yerevan/LA

Posted 02 April 2003 - 06:58 AM

Sip,

Ok you got me, he knows ALL the relevant foreign policy facts! :-) (tough crowd I tell ya!)

I was talking about his summary of what US foreign policy has done over the past few decades when I said he knows the facts... I did not mean it as a blanket statement about the guy, and anything not covered on that page does not count.

Better? :-)

#17 MJ

MJ

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts
  • Location:New York City
  • Interests:Theology, Tennis, Jazz, Modern Art, Red Wine

Posted 02 April 2003 - 07:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Raffi Kojian:
Sip,

Ok you got me, he knows ALL the relevant foreign policy facts! :-) (tough crowd I tell ya!)

I was talking about his summary of what US foreign policy has done over the past few decades when I said he knows the facts...
Better? :-)

So what has it done?

#18 EZ

EZ

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Location:Netherlands

Posted 02 April 2003 - 02:23 PM

I don't see what is so terribly wrong with a person using the opportunity once it arrives to tell the world what he believes in. He didn't throw a bomb into the audience, did he??? I wouldn't have dared to do what he did if I had felt so strong about something. And I wonder... if he would have stated something like "Death to Saddam!" something that would fit more in the current US-policy, would it have irritated you as much as it did now?

The way I see it, whether this guy knows enough facts to 'earn' himself the right to speak his mind about such a subject during such an event is of no importance at all. He had the opportunity that evening and apparently he wanted, maybe needed, to take it. If there are consequences to suffer from it, he's the one who will suffer. And whatever his opinion is, he deserves credit for that.

#19 Azat

Azat

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Los Angeles, CA
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 02 April 2003 - 02:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by EZ:
....
And I wonder... if he would have stated something like "Death to Saddam!" something that would fit more in the current US-policy, would it have irritated you as much as it did now?
...

Dear Elly, good to see you here. Come back more often.

Speaking for myself, I know I would have been as upset if he had said something stupid like "Death to Saddam!", if not more upset. It is true that if there are consequences to be suffered from his speech it will be him and not the rest of us, but there is also a place and time for everything.

#20 Cilician

Cilician

    Junior Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Location:Yerevan/LA

Posted 04 April 2003 - 07:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MJ:
quote:
Originally posted by Raffi Kojian:
Sip,

Ok you got me, he knows ALL the relevant foreign policy facts! :-) (tough crowd I tell ya!)

I was talking about his summary of what US foreign policy has done over the past few decades when I said he knows the facts...
Better? :-)

So what has it done?
As I said, there is a link with this info, but I will paste it here. If you follow the link you can get more info on many of them.
http://www.bowlingfo...erful/index.php

___________________
1953: U.S. overthrows Prime Minister Mossadeq of Iran. U.S. installs Shah as dictator.

1954: U.S. overthrows democratically-elected President Arbenz of Guatemala. 200,000 civilians killed.

1963: U.S. backs assassination of South Vietnamese President Diem.

1963-1975: American military kills 4 million civilians in Southeast Asia.

September 11, 1973: U.S. stages coup in Chile. Democratically elected president Salvador Allende assassinated. Dictator Augusto Pinochet installed. 5,000 Chileans murdered.

1977: U.S. backs military rulers of El Salvador. 70,000 Salvadorans and four American nuns killed.

1980's: U.S. trains Osama bin Laden and fellow terrorists to kill Soviets. CIA gives them $3 billion.

1981: Reagan administration trains and funds "contras". 30,000 Nicaraguans die.

1982: U.S. provides billions in aid to Saddam Hussein for weapons to kill Iranians.

1983: White House secretly gives Iran weapons to help them kill Iraqis.

1989: CIA agent Manuel Noriega (also serving as President of Panama) disobeys orders from Washington. U.S. invades Panama and removes Noriega. 3,000 Panamanian civilian casualties

1990: Iraq invades Kuwait with weapons from U.S.

1991: U.S. enters Iraq. Bush reinstates dictator of Kuwait.

1998: Clinton bombs "weapons factory" in Sudan. Factory turns out to be making aspirin.

1991 to present: American planes bomb Iraq on a weekly basis. U.N. estimates 500,000 Iraqi children die from bombing and sanctions.

2000-01: U.S. gives Taliban-ruled Afghanistan $245 million in "aid".

September 11, 2001: Osama Bin Laden uses his expert CIA training to murder 3,000 people.
___________________________

Anyway, this is my last post on the topic... or else it can go on forever.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users