• 5,049 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 08:51 AM

#142 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 12:32 PM

Edited by gamavor, 23 July 2019 - 12:37 PM.

• MosJan likes this

#143 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,606 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:23 AM

Khaleej Times, UAE
Aug 9 2019

The kindness of strangers

Tirtho Banerjee
Filed on August 9, 2019

A recent trip to Armenia revealed its true beauty lay not just in its lovely landscapes - but in the unflagging generosity of its people

The present world has empathy in short supply. But I found it in abundance while travelling across Armenia recently. The spontaneity and propensity of the locals to extend a helping hand to total strangers left me enamoured. The Armenians' friendly disposition came through naturally wherever I went - in shops, in malls, on roads. and it reaffirmed my hope in humanity. It was the selflessness of these acts that made me fall in love with Armenia's true beauty - its people.

A lesson in hospitality

Indian food is what my wife and I were looking for on Day One in Yerevan, the capital of Armenia. Even though we had the restaurant's number and location, it wasn't of much help, as we were not familiar with the city's streets. Despite making repeated calls to the venue as we struggled to figure out the place, the directions offered by the operator proved absolutely futile. To add to our distress, I ran out of data and couldn't access Google search. Not a single passer-by we encountered had the faintest idea about the Indian eatery and all our enquiries came to naught. Exasperated, we were about to give up our pursuit, when suddenly a middle-aged man - who must have been watching our desperate moves for some time - came to us and politely asked: "May I know what you guys are trying to find out?"
Nursing a vain hope, we told him about our frustration and gave him the restaurant's name. His eyes lit up and, to our utter surprise and relief, he said: "Ya, ya, I know it... Indian restaurant, right?" Before we knew it, we were following him through Republic Square, parks and many other roads. The gentleman even gave us a brief outline and related backstories about some of the buildings we were passing - just like a seasoned guide. He ensured we reached our destination, before shaking my hand with a broad smile. I could only manage a feeble "Thank you", to which he quickly responded: "No, I should say thank you, because you spent so much money to visit my country. I am thankful you are in Armenia." Those words remain engraved in the recesses of my mind.

Making a friend

Armenia's rich heritage abounds everywhere - mostly in its famed monuments, many of which date back to the 3rd and 4th century. One of them is Geghard Monastery, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Nestled in a serene environment flanked by green mountains, the place is approached through a picturesque cobblestone walkway. I was fascinated by the pine cones that had fallen to the ground from a towering tree that was gazing vacantly at the monastery. They were scattered all around and I collected a handful of different varieties. My hands could only hold a few and while I was busy in a kind of juggling act, I heard a shout.
A woman - she must have been in her early 60s - was waving at me from her makeshift shop with a packet in her hand. I thought she was flagging me down to buy her wares and so, pretended I hadn't seen her. But I soon realised she was offering me a bag in which to carry the pine cones. Afterwards, I requested her for a snap; she accepted with alacrity. I will forever cherish her pure, unadulterated spirit to reach out.

Baked with love

After taking a round of Garni Temple, a Greco-Roman structure built around 1,800 years ago, and the ruins around it, we were dead tired and felt famished. It was at a restaurant serving authentic Armenian cuisine that we ordered our lunch. What's more, the food was made from organically grown grains and vegetables. It felt good to have our meal in a natural setting, seated on wooden chairs with a whiff of boiled rice wafting on the gentle, nippy breeze.
An elderly lady was baking cookies nearby. Despite the heat from the oven, she went about her job with obvious skill. Our meal done, my wife and I were now in a quandary: we couldn't decide on dessert. The woman must have sensed our predicament, for she dished out a bunch of cookies from the oven for us that really satiated our intense craving for something sweet. Before leaving, she gave my wife a  warm embrace. That sweet moment is frozen in my frame.    

Word to the wise

We wanted to ride the Yerevan Metro to experience the city 'on the move' - and to cover those pockets we couldn't on foot. A 'Metro' sign on the side of a road led us towards the stairs that took us to an underground hall. We were unable to decide what type of tickets to buy. As we hesitated at a distance from the ticket counter, a man who'd just bought a ticket initiated a conversation with us. "Do you want ticket?" he asked, adding with a soft chuckle in the same breath: "Don't worry, it is only 200 dram. anywhere you go."

That crucial bit of info dispelled all our doubts and help us shed our inhibitions. With a newfound confidence, I approached the ticket counter and said: "Two tickets, please." I turned around to thank the man, but he was nowhere to be found. True kindness never waits for acknowledgment, I realised.

• MosJan likes this

#144 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 10:57 AM

:)
  • MosJan likes this

#145 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 01:24 PM

• gamavor likes this

#146 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,606 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:13 AM

BW Business World, India
Jan 21 2020

The country of unforgettable emotions: Armenia
With over 25000 historical monuments throughout the country, Armenia is often referred to as an open-air museum. Read on to know about the country's heritage, food, wildlife and traditions.
1579613235_B4nrKA_2_1_.jpg

Armenia is a land of mysticism that will at once capture your imagination, evoking past centuries while awakening your senses to the present. It has a rich and colorful history, interwoven with legends and lore such as the landing of Noah’s Ark on Mount Ararat and Marco Polo’s voyages along the Silk Road. Armenians are an ancient people with a strong sense of cultural identity. As the nation who first adopted Christianity, we have preserved our unique culture throughout the centuries, keeping Old World traditions alive by integrating them into a modern way of life, so that the two complement and enrich each other. With over 25000 historical monuments throughout the country dating from prehistoric to Hellenistic and early Christian eras – three of which are UNESCO World Heritage Sites – Armenia is often referred to as an open air museum. Yerevan alone hosts 40 art museums and galleries. Armenia can kick up your adrenaline with steep routes and off-road rides along its valleys.

Armenia is about mouth-watering flavors. Whether in gourmet restaurants or authentic rural homes, Armenian hospitality, its rich cuisine and bountiful harvest will always welcome you to the table. Lavash, freshly baked in a fiery tonir will satisfy your stomach. The country will also embrace you in the vine of Areni Noir – a local grape variety first planted by Noah after the Biblical Flood. The spirit culture flows through Armenia from cozy wineries in Yerevan to the most ancient “wine factory” in a terroir cave of Vayots Dzor over 6100 years old. Let us not forget the cellars of the Yerevan Brandy Factory. Parting with its fragrant walls is more difficult than climbing Mount Ararat. Armenia is about fashion boutiques by local designers and jewelers. It is about high quality shoemaking that continues the traditions of the most ancient cobblers, with one such shoe, made millennia ago, now exhibited at the Museum of History. Armenia is all about interesting people and witty local humor. It is a country of unforgettable experiences that will always have you coming back for more.

WORLD HERITAGE

Geghard (Armenian: Գեղարդ, meaning “spear”) is a medieval monastery in the Kotayk province of Armenia, being partially carved out of the adjacent mountain, surrounded by cliffs. It is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The monasteries of Haghpat and Sanahin, listed as UNESCO World Heritage Sites as an outstanding universal value, created by humanity. The name Sanahin is interpreted as "This one is older than that", which emphasizes the supremacy of age this monastery has over its counterpart in Haghpat, the oldest temple of which was built in 976-991. In the XVIII century, a prominent bard or ashugh at the court of the Georgian king, spent part of his life as a recluse in Haghpat. As the legend goes, this famous Armenian composer underwent tonsure after falling in love with a beautiful princess.

Duduk (Armenian oboe), or tsiranapogh (“the soul of the apricot tree”), as the Armenians call this musical instrument. The soft wood of the apricot tree is the ideal material for the body of the instrument. It is brilliantly performed in the soundtracks of Hollywood blockbusters. In Armenia, it is played everywhere: in highlands and restaurants, in nightclubs and by street musicians.

There are thousands of khachkars in Armenia, stones with elaborate crosses engraved on them. They are ubiquitous: in the masonry of spiritual buildings, in forests, on rocks and mountain peaks...

Lavash (traditional Armenian thin bread) is considered a herald of welfare and prosperity; it binds marriages and is sacrificed before a new beginning. Dried lavash can easily be stored for 7 months. Today, tourists are offered a master class in baking lavash: how to roll out the dough thinly, swirl it over their heads and send it into a tonir – a fiery oven in the ground.

WILDLIFE

There are places in Armenia that capture your imagination. Magnificent Sevan – the largest lake in the Caucasus. Tucked away high in the mountains of Tavush is the marvelous Lastiver cave. During the middle Ages, caravan robbers particularly took a liking to Lastiver. Today, it is a favorite destination for tourists. The path to the cave is flanked by several quaint treehouses and goes past a picturesque waterfall – the legendary “Ottoman of Seven Cyclops", under the Celtic cross khachkar and past the church hidden in the tall grass.

In Armenia, it is a must-see to visit the Symphony of Stones in the valley of Garni, the terracotta cliffs of Vayots Dzor, the cave town of Old Goris and the meteors of Khndzoresk. Plunge into the "Mermaid Hair", waterfall in Jermuk, climb to Lake Kari – the stone lake atop Mount Aragats, dive under the famous Umbrellas – the waterfall of Mamrot Kar with overgrown moss, located in the gorge of Unot in Artsakh, and snap a photo of a trout by the Trchkan waterfall. They swim upstream for spawning, and can jump up to 23 meters in one swing. Witness their flight and marvel at the sacred Skhtorashen plane trees listed as one of the oldest trees of the planet.

CHASING ADVENTURE

If you are ready to consider high-mountain diving or paragliding, this is the perfect place to be baptized. A flight in an air balloon over endless mountain ranges is guaranteed to be a thrill and will end with nothing less than champagne and an aeronautics certificate. The popular rock climbing walls (5a-7 difficulty grade) nestled in the “Valley of Sorrows” stand ready to challenge you. Keep going, and you will reach monastery of Noravank. In the very same valley you can also discover Archeri – meaning bear cave, which is a special treat for speleologists.

Armenia has over 300 days of sun, an amazing advantage in the world of paragliding. Feel the wind as you take off on a cross-country flight around Armenia!

Heading north through the country, into the high mountains of Tavush, explorers are encouraged to visit the local extreme park and go on horse treks that span the mountains of Dilijan and Yenokavan – vistas that rival the Swiss Alps. Armenia is undoubtedly an ideal place for hiking and cycling. Mount Aragats, Azhdahak and Spitakasar in the Geghama mountain range, as well as mount Khustup are the most interesting sites for trekking. The extremely diverse terrains all brought together in a limited space give avid trekkers an overwhelming sensation. Trekkers can also avoid being overloaded by too much luggage, travel light and stay overnight at the houses of locals.

CUSTOMS AND TRADITIONS: PRESERVED HERITAGE WITH A MODERN TWIST

Armenians have preserved their family traditions and the lifestyle of their ancestors. Just as before, the elderly are treated with a great degree of respect and attention. Hospitality is also deeply rooted in Armenian traditions. Despite hardships and the fact that not everybody enjoys a carefree life, people are remarkably welcoming, hospitable, and honest.

However, just like in ancient times, young men and women eat a salty cracker on the day of St. Sargis (Armenian Valentine day) to dream of their betrothed. Newlyweds build a fire on the streets and jump over it on Trndez (traditional holiday) to have a long lasting and happy marriage. Clergymen consecrate grapes, and on Vardavar, the celebration of water and fertility (Transfiguration in Christianity) people splash each other all day in the belief that water cures and purifies.

If you’ve been splashed with water on Vardavar, be ready for a successful and happy year. On Vardavar young women decorate the water springs with rose petals as a tribute to Astghik, the pagan goddess of beauty who wove roses into her hair.

YEREVAN: A CITY THAT SHATTERS STEREOTYPES

Your trip to Armenia will probably start with Yerevan. The capital city is one of the most ancient cities in the world with a rich history and incredible atmosphere. The city that is 29 years older than Rome is known today for breaking all kinds of stereotypes: the past is in absolute harmony with the present, and the traditional East goes hand in hand with the modern West. Despite how old the city is, Yerevan still looks very young. Concrete jungles of multi-story houses are mixed with the warmth of old masonry featuring the shade of the tuff stone, granting Yerevan the title of the Pink City. There is no rush in Yerevan: employees of city cafes slowly trim the lawns and serve visitors coffee as the latter leisurely leaf through magazines or their gadgets. Morning yoga classes turn into evening folk dances at the Cascade.

In the streets, you will find works of the best sculptors of the modern world; in museums – mysterious artifacts; in galleries – paintings of Armenian and world classics; at the flea markets – brilliant creations of contemporary painters, ceramists and jewelers.

Nightlife in Yerevan beckons with classic music concerts, sounds of folk music, jam sessions by jazz musicians, night club music, performances of musicians of all types, and wine bars along Saryan Street. Do not miss out on the opportunity to see the show of singing fountains; enjoy delicious food in fashionable restaurants or fast-food places.

DESTINATION FOR FOOD CONNOISSEURS

Guests visiting Armenia are very fortunate: Armenian cuisine has stood the test of time for two millennia and offers bountiful tables of mouthwatering dishes that are accompanied with copious drinks and intimate toasts. Here, you will enjoy an inexpensive full dinner at a respectable restaurant, aromatic coffee at a cafe and local fruits and berries at the markets, fresh from the orchard. Armenia is a place where recipes are passed on from generation to generation and signature specialties become a treasured family secret. It is a place where chefs conjure in the kitchen while keeping to traditional recipes, offering a modern interpretation or even boldly experimenting with the past. You will learn how to bake lavash, make khorovats (barbeque), tolma (meat wrapped in grape leaves) and learn to distinguish authentic Armenian brandy. You will be offered a taste of crawfish with fresh beer. A seemingly casual drink, yet in the V century B.C. Xenophon, an ancient Greek historian, mentioned in “Anabasis” that the beer he tried in Armenia had excellent taste. National Geographic included Yerevan in the list of “Six Unexpected Cities for the Food Lovers” mentioning the capital city as one of the best places in Asia with a rich cuisine: the magazine advises food lovers to try gastro tours to Armenia. Armenia is a country of century-old traditions of winemaking, the founder of which is considered to be a biblical patriarch who planted the first vine at the foot of Mountain Ararat. The traditions of ancient winemakers are properly preserved by modern winemakers. Thus, it is no surprise that the terroir of Vayots Dzor produces wine that is included in top ten best wines in the world according to Bloomberg Business weekly.

The manufacturing of ARARAT brandy was founded in Armenia 130 years ago, quickly gained international recognition, and was even supplied to the court of the Russian Emperor. It was starred in almost all Soviet movies, traveled to space; often times rescued drifting polar explorers and was preferred by Winston Churchill. ARARAT brandy is one of the symbols of Armenia, an indispensable attribute of a generous traditional feast. It bears witness to the most vivid and joyful moments of people’s lives – at weddings, birthdays, and gatherings of friends. ARARAT brandy is the most famous souvenir from Armenia without which no guest leaves the country.

WINTER IN ARMENIA

Drive through snowy roads, master snow scooters, stay at skiing resorts. Free riders prefer the slopes of Mount Aragats, while downhill skiers, snowboard skiers, cross-country skiers come to the ski resort in Tsakhkadzor, which translates to “gorge of flowers”. There is every opportunity to exercise your favorite winter sport since the slopes do not crust and the undisturbed snow supports the boards perfectly.

The ski resort in Tsakhkadzor on the hills of Mount Teghenis is 40 minutes away from Zvartnots airport. Trails of all levels of difficulty start from the peak of the mountain, which you can reach via Leitner ropeway with heated seats. You will not have to wait in line for the ropeway in Tsakhkadzor. The highest point of skiing is 2819 m which is just 10m lower than the highest one in Courchevel.

Tsakhkadzor ropeway has three levels: the regular ski lift takes skiers to 2400 m. The total time to reach the third level is about 40 minutes. There is a height difference of 1200 m.

Khash is a dish that used to be for the impoverished in pagan times; it consisted of cooked of veal knuckles and giblets. Today it is considered a delicacy and is usually served during the months that contain the letter ‘r’, from April to September inclusive. The only place that serves khash regardless of the month is located at Mount Aragats.

#147 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,606 posts

Posted 09 March 2020 - 08:27 AM

PhilStar, Philippines
March 7 2020

What do Cher, the Kardashians, Andre Agassi, Charles Aznavour (& even Steve Jobs) have in common?

PURPLE SHADES - Letty Jacinto-Lopez (The Philippine Star

The answer to that titular question is that they are all Armenians!

Cher, the Hollywood singer and actress, continues to reinvent herself in her risqué fashion style and music concerts. The Kardashians have become a byword in reality TV, celebrating their opulent lifestyle and complicated dalliances. Andre Agassi is a celebrated tennis legend; the late Charles Aznavour was a popular French balladeer who earned a strong following with platinum hits like She, Hier Encore (Yesterday when I was Young), and was a strong advocate of his ancestral homeland, Armenia.

And who doesn’t know Apple computer founder Steve Jobs? His adopted mother Clara Hagopian was Armenian, but Jobs welcomed everything Armenian into his life, including speaking the language fluently.

With that, we began our interesting tour of Armenia, arranged by Arlina Onglao.  We drove from Tbilisi, Georgia, to Yerevan, Armenia — about five hours — stopping at an Armenian bakeshop that lured us with the smell of freshly baked lavash made from flour, water, salt, and sprinkled with sesame and poppy seeds.  They were fired in a deep cylindrical clay stone oven called a toneer.  The dough is slapped against the wall of the toneer. The bread was hot, filling and totally satisfying.

How can you spot Armenia on the world map?  It’s the only country shaped like the profile of a young girl.

What caught my eye? Religious estampitas of the Mother and Child — a sometimes chubby Mary was shown with the Infant Jesus holding the Armenian native fruit, the pomegranate, or baby Jesus holding a globe, a crucifix or simply with hands posed in greeting.  They were completely different in style, color, garments and facial _expression_, yet recognizable to all religious groups.

We went to the Mesrop Mashtots Institute of Ancient Manuscripts, or the Matenadaran (“Mat” means manuscript, while “Danaran” means place), where you can really appreciate the Bible as a book.

Prepare yourself to be dazzled by this repository of ancient manuscripts that cover a broad range of subjects: theology, history, medicine, literature, art and cosmography — the sea, earth and universe.  This museum-cum-institute holds one of the world’s richest written collections dating back to thousands of years ago.  

I was captivated to see works of the early scribes, who used ink dyes from natural stones like lapis lazuli, malachite, and gold.  The red ink came from worms or scaled insects called cochineal (from the pulverized bodies of insects), while book covers were made of carved ivory dating back to the 6th century.  Goatskin was used for the pages.

Armenia 101

In history, the Armenian kingdom was described as spanning “sea to sea,” covering the green parts of Turkey down to Mesopotamia, the Euphrates and Tigris rivers, and the Black, Caspian and Mediterranean Seas.

Armenians didn’t participate in the holy synods in Calcedonia and Nicea.  They are Christians belonging to the Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church, which is one of the oldest Christian churches.  They were founded in the 1st century AD and, in 301 AD, became the first branch of Christianity to become a religion.  The head of their church is called Catholicos, who resides in Echmiadzin, near Yerevan.

Armenia gained independence from Russia in 1990 when their churches and monasteries were reopened.  Armenian monks are found in St. Lazarus near Venice, in Israel (the Holy Land), and in Turkey.  They speak Russian and English, too.

We were introduced to the duduk, an Armenian wind instrument that sounds like an oboe, made from apricot wood. It is described as producing sad, solemn sounds that are truly haunting. I heard an Armenian say that it is like being transported back to a “windswept Caucasian hill 2,000 years ago.”

Armenian food

An Armenian meal usually starts with mezze — appetizers made of cheese, cut vegetables and cured meat. Manti is soup with dumplings shaped like little boats stuffed with ground lamb or beef and topped with fresh yoghurt. They were golden, crunchy and tasty.

Traditional dishes include Basturma, cured meat served with Armenian red wine; Khoravat, barbecued meat grilled over a wood fire so it has a smoky flavor; Kashlama, slow-cooked lamb or beef served with vegetables; Dolma, meat and rice wrapped in grape leaves; Su Boreg, a boiled phyllo dish; Harissa, or chicken porridge; and Gata — not our coconut milk but sweet bread or puff pastry stuffed with nuts.

At Lake Sevan they served us fish kebabs that were marinated with spices and grilled. And, like in Georgia, they also have the Churchkela (a string of walnuts dipped into fruit juices) and the Tklapi, or fruit lavash made from fruit puree, sun-dried on a clothesline and rolled up into paper-thin sheets.  

t1-3.jpg
Sculpture by Jaume Plensa

Mt. Ararat & Noah’s Ark

The national symbol of Armenia is Mount Ararat, where Noah’s Ark came to rest after the great flood.  It is depicted on their coat of arms.  Our guide, Ani Manoukian, told us that visitors like releasing doves in the hopes that they will fly to Mount Ararat.

Noah supposedly died at the age of 950, 350 years after the great flood.

You can actually climb up the Cafesjian Centre for the Arts (CCA) or The Cascade, a museum built ziggurat-style (meaning it’s a pyramid-shaped with two to seven tiers).  You can ascend stairs to reach each level.   There’s a well-manicured garden with bronze sculptures by world-renowned artists/sculptors such as Pablo Picasso, Jaume Plensa, Fernando Botero, etc.

t1-5.jpg
Author Letty Lopez at Ararat mountains from the Khor Virap Monastery

Philanthropist Gerard Cafesjian built The Cascade as a poignant memorial to Armenia.

I loved the tragic but brilliant love story preserved in Noravank Monastery, designed and built by Momik, the architect. “Anything he touched turned to magic,” and Momik fell in love with a princess who reciprocated his feelings. The father of the princess agreed to their marriage, provided Momik built first “a temple of incredible and unmatched beauty.”

Momik went to work, cutting chunks of rock and carving them into building blocks. He was soon putting finishing touches on the dome while crouching on the very top of the temple when, suddenly, Momik was pushed off by a jealous suitor of the princess.  Momik plummeted to the ground, clutching the last block of the dome in his hands.  That stone became his tombstone.  But the beauty of Noravank never died.

t1-2.jpg
Echmiadzin Museum

Biblical artifacts

You can find relics traceable to Jesus and other biblical artifacts at the Echmiadzin Museum, a mouthful to pronounce.

Among the reliquaries we viewed were the Holy Lance (Geghart) that pierced the side of Christ; the true Cross of Jesus; wood from Noah’s Ark; and relics from the apostles Thaddeus, Bartholomew, Andrew and George, including Ananias  (a disciple of Jesus mentioned in the Acts of the Apostles). He was sent by Jesus to restore the sight of Saul of Tarsus and provide him with additional instruction on the way of the Lord. He baptized Saul, who became known as St. Paul.

The Armenian Genocide took place in 1915 during World War I. Leaders of the Turkish government set into motion a plan to expel and massacre Armenians living in Turkey, executing intellectuals, burning homes, pillaging villages, raping and killing women and children and sending them on death marches through the desert without food and water.

By 1920, millions of Armenians perished, with many more forcibly removed from Turkey in a diaspora that scattered Armenians to neighboring countries in Europe and others to faraway America, China, India and Australia.

A memorial sits on elevated ground with an arrow-shaped granite structure reaching up to the sky symbolizing the survival and spiritual rebirth of the Armenian people.  Next to it is a circular structure where an eternal flame burns. Armenians and visitors alike leave flowers in memory of those who were killed and who were kicked out.  The motto is “I remember and demand,” because to this day, this genocide is not recognized by Turkey.

Armenia in film

There is a beautiful two-part film on the plight of an Armenian family who settled in France that starred Omar Sharif and Claudia Cardinale entitled Mayrig and Rue Paradis.  Even in exile, they kept sacred their love for Armenia, working and raising their son with honesty, integrity and unstinting love.

Another film, Ararat, traces the genocide and how generations of Armenians kept the memory alive in their hearts.  Author William Saroyan was an American-Armenian novelist, playwright and short story writer.  He was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Drama and won the Oscar for the best film adaptation of his novel, The Human Comedy.  He wrote extensively about the Armenian immigrant life in California.

Our guide Ani Manoukian aroused feelings of empathy within me when she said, “Anywhere in the world, where there is an Armenian, there is a common pathos we share.  We draw this collective sigh of longing for home.  Armenia is where our heart is, forever and lovingly entrenched.”

With that, Ani took us to La Folie for more traditional Armenian cuisine.   We said “Bari!” which means “bon appétit.”

#148 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,606 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 07:28 AM

Title: Meet Sven Who Became Armenian & Built Little Armenia in Norway.    
   3246a6f28a57ecfaec74fc0cd4bc91f6.png 

Vol 5.33 • August 16, 2020

c07baee3d2e304d5223b676c86b511fb.jpeg     Sven Erik Rise – The Norwegian who became Armenian by choice

Even his school students in Norway call him Tigran when they want to get his attention. But the name is not enough without a proper Armenian surname. So he thought of Van...

• MosJan likes this

#149 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 10:12 AM

"Story of a Norwegian friend of Armenia who is Armenian by Choice
If you’re looking forward to a story of another tourist who visited Armenia, ate, drank, had fun, and went back, then you’re in the wrong place. This is about a guy, named Sven Erik, who has no genetic connection to Armenia and yet, is more Armenian than many Armenians themselves"

#150 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,606 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:50 AM

FODORS, India
Dec 24 2020

The Stunning Churches of the World’s First Christian Nation

Sugato Mukherjee | December 24, 2020

Discover the remarkable structures and the legends within.

A journey to Armenia means discovering one of Eurasia’s legendary enclaves. The tiny nation in the Caucasus was the first to adopt Christianity as the state religion in A.D. 301. And Armenia’s early Christian structures—sprawling, majestic complexes nestled in the folds of wildly green canyons and hilltops—bear brilliant testimony to the creative power of one of the world’s oldest civilizations. Armenia’s deeply religious past is also manifested in its pagan temples and monasteries tucked deep in the wildflower-dappled hills and valleys.

Surprisingly, all of these apostolic complexes have been immaculately preserved from the medieval ages. While Christian churches across Europe with ornate frescoes and heavily decorated interiors look beautiful, the Armenian churches are markedly different with a signature architectural style.

02.jpg 
Khor Virap

Khor Virap monastery is at the foothills of the biblical Mt. Ararat (elevation 16,854 feet) near the closed Turko-Armenian border. Originally established as a prison site, it had held Grigor Lusavorich in a subterranean pit (Khor Virap in Armenian means “deep dungeon”) for 13 years. The story goes that Lusavorich cured the Armenian monarch of a fatal disease and subsequently converted him to Christianity. Soon after, the Caucasian kingdom became the first official Christian nation in the world in A.D. 301. Lusavorich was sainted as Gregory the Illuminator and Khor Virap, which took its current incarnation in the 17th century, has remained the most visited sacred pilgrimage site of Armenia.

03.jpg
Zvartnots

Zvartnots was an early Christian cathedral, consecrated in A.D. 652, about 10 kilometers west of Yerevan, the Armenian capital. Zvartnots stood as one of the tallest structures in the world at 45 meters for 320 years before its collapse in the 10th century. The reason for its destruction is still contested: it could be an earthquake or a result of Arab invasions. The cathedral has been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site since 2000.

04.jpg

Sevanavank

Sevanavank, one of the earliest monasteries of Armenia, is located on the northwestern shores of Lake Sevan, the largest freshwater lake in the Caucasus region. According to an inscription in one of the churches, the monastery of Sevanavank was founded in 874. The church buildings were constructed from black tuff, which probably gave the monastery its name Sevanavank—“the Black Monastery.”

05.jpgGeghard

The ornate and massive complex of Geghard monastery, another UNESCO World Heritage site, stands at the entrance of the Azat Valley in central Armenia. Founded by Gregory the Illuminator in the 4th century, it is also known as the “Monastery of the Spear,” named after the spear used to stab Jesus Christ during the crucifixion. It was brought to Armenia and housed inside Geghard monastery, and is now stored in the treasury of Echmiadzin, the spiritual center of the Armenian Apostolic Church. Inside the rock-cut chapel of Geghard runs a natural spring, and its water is considered holy.

06.jpg
Noravank

Located 122 kilometers from Yerevan, the sheer brick-red cliffs of a narrow gorge cut by the Amaghu River nestles Noravank monastery within its deep folds in a spectacular setting. The double-storeyed monastery is best known for its upper floor church, accessible by a dank stone staircase that protrudes from the façade of the 13th-century building—one of the earliest examples of cantilever architecture.

07.jpgHovhannavank

Hovhannavank monastery on the edge of Kasagh river canyon adjacent to the village of Ohanavan. The monastic complex consists of the 4th-century basilica church of St. John the Baptist and the main church of St. Karapet (St. John’s other name). The basilica was completely renovated between 1652 and 1734.

08.jpgHaghpat

The medieval Haghpat monastery was built between the 10th and 13th centuries. It is a brilliant example of early Armenian architecture where small niches were created to fit stones in such a design that would survive an earthquake. In its earliest stage, Haghpat was a center of copying ancient manuscripts and had a huge book depository. Much of its interiors have remained intact including the food storage area, 13th-century grindstones, and a community eating space for the monks.

09.jpgGarni

Garni, the 1st-century Hellenistic temple, stands on the edge of a cliff overlooking the ravine of the Azat River, at a distance of 26 kilometers from Yerevan. The temple is a part of the fortress of Garni, strategically located for the defense of the kingdom. It is also the only remaining example of Greco-Roman colonnaded architectural style in Armenia and the whole of the former Soviet Union.

#151 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,606 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 08:32 AM

Public Radio of Armenia
Dec 30 2020

I wish Armenia to never doubt its beauty, strengths and talents, French Ambassador says in a New Year message

French Ambassador to Armenia Jonathan Lacôte has issued a New Year message, wishing Armenia peace and security. The message reads:

Dear Armenian friends,
Dear compatriots in Armenia,

At the end of 2020, full of so many trials for Armenia, I am primarily thinking of the families in whose homes one of the chairs around the table will be empty.

Now is not the time to celebrate, but more than ever I would like to share the hope that this country continues to inspire me.

I wish Armenia to live in peace and security, without fear of seeing its youth return to the front lines.

I wish Armenia, which measures its history in millennia, to have confidence in its future.

I wish Armenia to never doubt its beauty, strengths and talents.

I wish the Armenians to avoid discord and savage winds.

I wish Armenians to look together in the same direction.

I wish Armenians to be proud to pass this country on to their children.

I wish France to be by Armenia’s side.

I wish France to remember what the Armenians have given it.

I wish the French to come to Armenia or sometimes turn their gaze there.

And I wish the French to always love Armenia as Armenia loves us.

I wish everyone a 2021 year of peace, happiness and prosperity.

https://en.armradio....w-year-message/

#152 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,606 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 08:41 AM

The Travel Magazine
July 10 2021

Here's Why Tiny And Forgotten Armenia Is Surprisingly Good

Armenia is quite a fascinating place and from its culture to its food, there's something to love about this small country.

BY AARON SPRAY
pngwk0eLOisE4.png

Armenia is a very small country that few people consider visiting. It was part of the Soviet Union and is located in the southern Caucasus region and is bordered by Georgia (Republic Of), Azerbaijan, Iran, and Turkey. It is completely mountainous and traces its roots as one of the oldest countries in the world.

Armenia: The Facts  
  • Capital: Yeveran
  • Population: 3 Million
  • Land Area: 11,500 Sq. Miles (About 30,000 sq. Km)
  • Currency: Dram
  • Independence: 1991 (From the Soviet Union)
  • Origin: Orontid Dynasty (6th Century BC)

The Caucasus region of the world is one of the most extreme in the world. It is one of the most linguistically and ethnically diverse regions of the world, boasts some of the most stunning natural scenery and majestic landscapes, has some of the oldest histories, and has some of the world's most hospitable people. Not to mention delicious Armenian and other Caucasian food!

How To Get There  
  • Flight Option 1: Into Yerevan's International Airport
  • Flight Option 2: Into Georgia's International Airport In Tbilisi And Drive Or Take The Bus To Armenia
  • When To Go: Late Spring, Summer, Early Fall - Late Spring Is Best
  • Visa: Visa-Free For 6 Months
Things To Understand  

Some things to understand about Armenia, it is a small, landlocked country that has very poor relations with its neighbors Azerbaijan and Turkey (it had been locked in a 30-year conflict with Azeribjian until December 2020). The ethnic Armenians were the victims of the Armenian Genocide during World War One. The country is very poor.

That being said it is one of the most rewarding countries in this world to visit. Its landscapes are mountainous and hilly. This country is tiny, but don't underestimate the driving times, these roads are very very winding. The people here are some of the most welcoming in the world and they love tourists.

Fun Fact: Armenia Was The World's First Christian Country

The country is also very safe. The conflict with Azerbaijan is over and it was very localized away. The crime is low and everyone will want to help you and make sure you enjoy their stunning country. As with this region in general solo girls should be cautious and be prepared to be propositioned. But otherwise, there is no need to be concerned with security.

Points Of Interest  

Yerevan is likely to be your base while in Armenia, this is by far the largest city, the most developed, and the capital of the nation. From here you can gaze over to the stunning Mt Ararat in neighboring Turkey. This is a truly dramatic volcano and it dominates the landscapes. Mt Ararat was historically part of Armenia.

Mt. Ararat
  • Elevation: 16,854 Feet or 5,137 Meters
  • Myth And Legend: The Resting Place Of Noah's Ark Of The Bible

There is plenty to do in Yerevan to keep you busy for a few days.

• Things To Do In Yerevan
  • Climb: The Cascade Complex (You Will Have Panoramic Views Of The City And Mt. Ararat)
  • Visit: The Tsitsernakaberd Armenian Genocide Memorial Park, Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin Church (Center Of The Armenian Apostolic Church), and the History Museum Of Armenia
  • Try: The Delicious Traditional Armenian Food
  • One of the riches parts of Armenian history and culture is their religion and extensive monasteries. While here be sure to visit these stunning complexes all over the country. It is not possible to understand Armenian tradition and culture without visiting these historical sites.

• Entrance Fee: Generally Free
    • Understand: Women Should Cover Their Heads Before Entering (Shawls Are Provided)
    • Dress: Bare Sholders And Short Shorts Are Disrespectful Inside The Church
  • Most of these monasteries are around 800 years old and most are still living monasteries today. Go at the right time and you can hear the monks and the priests chanting and singing. It is custom to buy candles, light them in the church and offer a prayer. Similar to neighboring Georgia, these monasteries are typically built on the most dramatic and spectacular of locations. Some of these must-see monasteries (but not all) include:

• Noravank Monastery
    • Goshavank Monastery Complex
    • Geghard Monastery (UNESCO Listed)
    • Haghartsin Monastery Complex
    • Khor Virab Monastery
    • Tatev Monastery In The Far South

For some attractions other than monasteries...

• Garni Temple: Ancient Greek Temple and the only Greco-Roman columned building still standing in Armenia
    • Areni-1 Cave Complex: Chalcolithic/Early Bronze Age Ritual Site and Settlement

We can't talk about all these monasteries, but we will mention the unforgettable Tatev Monastery of particular note.

• The Tatev Monastery

The Tatev Monastery is in the south close to the border with Iran. It dates from the 8th or 9th century and the drive to this monastery is extreme. To get to it, you must drive down deep into the valley or canyon and then snake way back up again. The hairpin turns and the sheer amount of them is incredible. Perched atop a mountain, the Tatev Monastery once hosted 1,000 monks. It has been fully restored and is once again operational.

Lake Sevan
  • The center of the country is dominated by the massive Lake Sevan (it is also a national park). You will see plenty of people selling their fish on the side of the road. One of the best places to see this great lake is the town of Lchashen and once there, one should visit the Church Sevenavank on a peninsula that juts out and affords spectacular views of the lake.

In short, this is just scratching the surface, but Armenia is a safe destination that should be on everyone's bucket list.

• MosJan likes this

#153 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 11:00 AM

;ap:

#154 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,606 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:12 AM

The Telegraph, India
July 26 2021

Calcutta to Dubai, via Armenia and a forced vacation in progress
Covid plight leads to a chance discovery
1627244371_26armenia_4c.jpg
Richa Rai   |   Published 26.07.21, 01:55 AM

Nearly dying is a funny way of breaking someone’s spirit. The plan was simple: reach Armenia, check into a hotel, self-quarantine for two weeks and safely depart to Dubai afterwards. But true to the cliché that “life happens”, it indeed did happen.

To rewind and put my current situation in context, in January 2020 I had moved to the UAE from India. I was excited to start a future with my partner, unaware that the pandemic would put a wrench into my plans for months.

As the rest of the world struggled, so did I. As a new immigrant, it took me some time to find a job and settle down. After I found a decent position, things began to align and we hoped that 2021 would be a year of opportunities.

At the end of March 2021, the first wave had subsided and the restrictions in the UAE and India were eased. This was our cue to plan a visit home and we were able to work out a 15-day trip. We left for India on April 17. While we reunited with our families, the second and deadly wave of Covid struck the country. Immediately, the most unfortunate news struck us: “The UAE has banned all flights from India because of the sudden spike in Covid-19 cases in India.”

With each passing day, the threat of job loss became more real and our patience began to wear thin. My husband and I were working from home, with longer hours and through weekends just to secure our jobs. My husband’s visa expired and still there was no sign of the UAE lifting the ban.

Finally, we decided it was time to explore alternative ways of travelling back to the UAE. Since my husband’s visa had expired, I would have to travel alone to a

third country before self-quarantining and continuing the trip further. I started my search for a travel company but this proved difficult with hundreds of agents claiming to be the best and numerous chat rooms on every social media platform acting as guides.

After some trial and error, I decided to accept a package to travel to Armenia. With hundreds of UAE residents stranded in India, the race to get home was chaotic and competitive. People were willing to bid higher and higher to secure a route out. With travel companies leveraging the desperation of the current situation, I got a day’s notice from an agent to report to Mumbai.

Now my journey to an unknown country began. I left my city with clouded thoughts and anxiety: the fraudulent nature of travel companies, a trip to an unknown country, travelling alone, the geopolitical conflicts in and around Armenia. While all this may seem glamorous in a Bollywood movie, the reality was surreal.

Considering the fragility of the situation, I travelled from Calcutta to Mumbai to catch my flight to Yerevan with no visa. My agent claimed I would have my visa before I boarded the flight.

Before boarding the flight we all received our visas, but then found out that they were dummy visas. While this seems hilarious in hindsight, at that moment my heart was sinking.

But it was too late to back out, as I had already boarded the flight (a chartered one at that). Our travel agency then said we would have our visas before we reached Yerevan, Armenia.

Soon our flight took off. Two hours into the trip, the captain’s voice filled the cabin: “We are experiencing technical difficulties and we won’t be able to continue our journey to Yerevan. We are heading back to Mumbai.”

Panic ensued. After another two hours, the cabin crew then delivered more bad news. We wouldn’t be able to land in Mumbai in the given time and were hovering over no-man’s land. The moments that followed were filled with terror and heightened emotions.

By some miracle the captain announced that we were reaching Mumbai. All of us felt this might not be a normal landing but we hit the ground safely.

In an hour I had boarded another flight but this time without any glitches. And because of the delay, I had received my legal visa that I needed to enter Armenia.

I was mentally and physically exhausted from the unusual events of the previous few hours.

On reaching Armenia, I was scared and was planning to stay indoors. But then I thought to myself, “What more could go wrong?”

The bleakness of the situation helped me see the positive side. I planned to see places and go out. And I would say it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

In my time here, I found that Armenia was an underrated treasure. It’s a land of rich cultural heritage where ancient sites abound. Few may know that Armenia is the first Christian country in the world, and has majestic medieval architecture juxtaposed against breathtaking landscapes, creating spectacular sights like the Geghard Monastery and the Temple of Garni.

My explorations took me to Lake Sevan, the largest water body in Armenia. Around Yerevan I found small fountains called pulpulaks, fed by spring water.

The pristine beauty of Armenia took my breath away at the Tsaghkadzor cable ropeway. In the spirit of adventure and facing one’s fears, I ventured out to zip-line across picturesque views at the Dilijan National Park.

One of the best things to see were the mulberry trees and grapevines lining Yerevan’s streets, with fresh fruits falling to the ground, both ripe and sweet.

With the sun setting past 9pm, it was easy to spend the long summer days capturing moments to remember and making the most of the unexpected.

It’s been 13 days of exploring Yerevan. This experience has renewed my spirit, changed my perspective of the world and strengthened my resilience. What started out as a forced trip filled with trials and tribulations turned into a much-needed break and will become one of my best memories.

Though I’ve loved my stay in Armenia and will cherish its beauty for years to come, I hope my journey from here to the UAE starts safely without any more adventures or unexpected announcements.

Richa Rai, who hails from Calcutta, is an advertisement professional based in Dubai

https://www.telegrap...ess/cid/1823915  

#155 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,606 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 09:01 AM

Arab News
Aug 20 2021

Armenia: Hidden gem of the Caucasus

• The ex-Soviet republic offers a dazzling mix of landscapes for the more-adventurous traveler

George Charles Darley
August 20, 2021 07:59

RIYADH: Armenia is a country most people are vaguely aware of but might have trouble placing on a map. Tucked away in the Caucasus Mountains between Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Iran, this ex-Soviet republic is off the usual tourist track, but still attractive to curious travelers.

Landing in the capital Yerevan on a balmy July night, I am struck by the absence of COVID-19 precautions: A tight crowd has gathered outside the little airport and there is much kissing and embracing, and not a mask in sight. 

I’m booked at a good hotel — actually The Good Hotel. Owner Anna and her colleagues Nara and Artur have a touching concern for all their guests. A lavish Armenian breakfast is served up every morning: fresh fruit, homemade jams, omelets, cheese, salads, cold cuts and crusty matnakash bread.

Sanahin Monastery is an Armenian monastery founded in the 10th century in the Lori Province of Armenia, recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. (Shutterstock)

Yerevan is a juxtaposition of high-end luxury and harsh poverty. Strolling down the tree-lined boulevards, with their elegant pink-stone buildings and boutiques selling $4000 alligator-skin handbags, you are just a few steps away from scrappy neighborhoods where time has stood still for half a century. Russian-made Lada cars from the 1970s, belching diesel fumes, are interspersed with Bentleys and Maseratis — a typical post-Communist scenario of shady oligarchs lording over ordinary people getting by on $300 a month.

“We all have big families,” my barber tells me. “And we depend on each other. That’s the only way to survive in this country. The other option is just to leave — there are nine million Armenians around the world, and only three million in Armenia.”

The cost of a visit here is cheap. I spend no more than S50 a day, including accommodation. Five of the pink plastic tokens for a metro trip cost just a dollar.

Lake Sevan is a large, high-altitude lake in eastern Armenia. (Shutterstock)

I embark on a road trip to the north, near the Georgian frontier. The smooth highway becomes a rough dirt track, winding through grassy hillsides and valleys before ascending into wilder mountainous regions. I stop in Alaverdi, a small town on the banks of the Debed River, at the foot of a steep valley. 

Irina, landlady of the charming Lily B&B, serves a delicious supper of charcoal-grilled chicken and vegetables. “I trained in Moscow as a cellist and orchestra conductor”, she tells me. “I had a good career there, but one day I had enough and returned here. It’s a simple life, but I love it and I love to share it with visitors.”  

The Soviet Union may be gone, but Armenia remains deeply stamped by it. Most older Armenians speak Russian as a second language; only younger people tend to speak English.

Yerevan shopping street. (Shutterstock)

Fortified by another legendary Armenian breakfast, I head to the alpine village of Sanahin. It’s Sunday, and a group of schoolchildren are performing folk dances in the garden of the monastery — the music and dances almost identical to that of eastern Turkey. 

Nearby is a museum dedicated to the Mikoyan brothers — two heroes of the Soviet Union. Artyem Mikoyan was the chief designer of the MiG jet, while his brother Anastas managed food distribution for the whole of the USSR. Outside the museum is an actual MiG jet. How it was brought up the mountain, I do not know.

I drive south, through the Debed River Canyon — a deep chasm that continues for at least 50 kilometers. After a night on the shores of the high-altitude Lake Sevan, I return to Yerevan and discover surely the most pleasant spot in the city: The café in Lovers’ Park.

Wings of Tatev is a 5.7 km cableway between Halidzor and the Tatev monastery in Armenia. (Shutterstock)

I head off once again, this time south to the town of Goris, near the recent warzone of Nagorny-Karabakh. The area is safe now, but there are still signs of the conflict. 

In contrast to its decaying Soviet-era buildings, the area around Goris is beautiful. It sits on the banks of a little river, and on the adjacent hillside are pointed sandstone rock formations, similar to the ‘fairy chimneys’ of Cappadocia in central Turkey. It is a good base for further excursions; to the ‘Wings of Tatev’ — the world’s longest cable car (a breathtaking seve-kilometer ride) — and Karahunj, the ‘Stonehenge of Armenia’ — a prehistoric circle of hewn rocks.

Driving back to Yerevan, I meander through lush vineyards, undulating grain fields and rugged mountain passes — all lingering images of a country unlike any other.

https://www.arabnews...14126/lifestyle

#156 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,606 posts

Posted 22 August 2021 - 07:24 AM

Panorama, Armenia
Aug 21 2021

British travel magazine highlights Armenia's tourist potential

British travel magazine Wanderlust has published a lengthy article on Armenia's tourist attractions. As the Tourism Committee of Armenia reported, the article is authored by the Editor-in-Chief of the magazine who had earlier visited the country. The magazine has devoted six pages to the tourist potential of Armenia as seen through the eyes of the author.  

To note, Wanderlust is a British travel magazine, covering adventurous, cultural and special interest travel. Apart from Britain, the magazine is popular in the US, Canada, Australia and number of other countries 

It is published six times a year with a print circulation of 100 thousand copies and 1․5 million visitors to its website annually. 

The article can be accesses through the magazine website here

240181695_1199040603853309_7304229950490

https://www.panorama...tourism/2552818

#157 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,606 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 07:51 AM

Forbes Magazine
Oct 29 2021

Here’s Why Armenia Is Emerging As The Next Food And Wine Travel Destination

Ann AbelSenior Contributor
Travel

pngLBo99fc4YK.png

Noravenk, the “new monastery” in Armenia DAVID EGUI

“My life is different because of Armenia,” said Veronica Joy Rogov as she welcomed guests to the final dinner of an audacious project at an audacious restaurant in Armenia. We had flown from all over the world to this small mountain village an hour outside the capital, Yerevan, to discover something new, to let ourselves be surprised and perhaps to be part of the beginning of something wonderful.

Rogov, a hospitality and wine consultant for Michelin-star restaurants, had flown in from the U.S., along with chef Mads Refslund—a cofounder of the original, wildly influential Noma in Copenhagen—and a team of other restaurant geniuses. They immersed themselves in all things Armenian for a month, learning traditional recipes and meeting purveyors, and then worked with the staff at the new Tsaghkunk Restaurant to create and serve a series of unforgettable dinners.

Their mission—along with providing a whole lot of pleasure to diners who made the journey—was to help one of the oldest countries in the world develop its future contemporary culinary language. That meant a thorough exploration of this unique but forgotten (or misunderstood) land at the crossroads between Europe, Asia and the Middle East, and then a deep sharing of knowledge.

pngtwKLABLpiE.png

Mount Ararat above Armenian vineyards DAVID EGUI

The project was a collaboration between Hrachya Aghajanyan, the former Armenian ambassador to Denmark and Norway, and his friend Kristian Brask Thomson of Bon Vivant Communications, whom he used to introduce as the Ambassador of Pleasure because of his work organizing dining extravaganzas that connect people from around the world. (Food being the most enjoyable kind of diplomacy.) That’s what they’re doing here, not just with the Refslund collaboration but with the restaurant (whose resident chef, Susanna Guckasyan, and team were fantastic even before they gained inspiration and know-how from the foreigners), and with a spotlight trained on Armenian food and culture in general.

They rightly believe Armenia deserves some of the attention that its neighbor Georgia gets as a destination for food and wine. Culinary tourism has a way of attracting high-value, low-impact travelers, who redirect their wealth into local economies.

But as Rogov said, Armenia makes an impact on anyone who visits. (It was country number 100 for me, and it still managed to leave me struggling to find comparisons.) There is, as she also said, a certain heaviness to it, thanks to sheer weight of its millennia of history.

pngpp2ZrUHn4W.png

Sharing laughs and wine at Trinity Canyon[+]DAVID EGUI

Some of that history is quite awful (and the reason that are more than twice as many Armenians in the diaspora than in the country itself). I won’t dwell on it. Because aside from talking about it with our hosts and guides, I didn’t think about it. I especially didn’t feel it, particularly in Yerevan, with its European-ish vibe and lively nightlife.

First there’s the kindness and generosity. I felt that at Yerevan’s sprawling GUM Food Market, where vendors were impossibly generous with free samples of dried fruits, candied almonds, pickled cucumbers and (entire heads of) garlic, and salty underground-fermented cheese. (I mean, we already had our hands full of snacks.)

And I felt it at the boutique Van Ardi Estate winery, where owner Varuzhan Mouradian pouring refills of whichever wine we liked best as the sun set over the ancient winemaking region of Aragatsotn. And at every single meal, where the hospitality is so abundant that food ends up being placed (on stands) on top of other food, and everything is shared by a big group of people gathered around the table. As Armenian minister of economy Vahan Kerobyan said, “Love to guests is in our genes.”

png73xZjIlgsp.png

The ancient monastery above Sevan Lake DAVID EGUI

Then there’s the smiles and the joy. I felt that at Trinity Canyon Vineyards in the southern highlands (near the world’s oldest wine producing site, which dates back some 6,100 years), where executive director Hovakim Saghatelyan broke into an easy laugh as he clinked his glass with his visitors and later played for us a song he wrote “when I fell in love the 56th time.” And I felt it at Lavash restaurant in Yerevan, where an exuberant server coaxed me out of my chair to dance as he presented roasted pumpkins stuffed with rice, dried fruit and sometimes lamb (delicious) to the table.

And then there’s the intellectualism. I felt that in so many of my conversations. Chess is a national sport. Gregory the Illuminator is known for establishing Christianity in Armenia, in the year 301, making it the first Christian country in the world. But “illumination” in its more modern meaning continues to be a value. Displayed in the museum complex of the Matenadaran are old printed books, precious bindings, manuscripts, colorful book illustrations and miniatures from the organization’s collection of 23,000 manuscripts. It says a lot about the Armenians that during the genocide perpetrated against them by the Ottoman Empire in the early 20th century, they chose to protect their beautiful books.

Now, the new generation is trying to position education, the illumination of knowledge and technology as exports. (The app Pixel was an Armenian unicorn.) The United World College in the northern town of Dilijan attracts students from all over the globe—and sends them home with some uniquely Armenian enlightenment.

pngZriGcbR_nF.png

Ani Harutyunyan at Armenian Food Lab DAVID EGUI

Dilijan is also home to a new endeavor that combines knowledge and understanding with food. The Armenian Food Lab is a project of art historian Ani Harutyunyan. In it she explores the ingredients, traditional culinary techniques and nutrition culture in Armenia. She also welcomes guests with plenty of consumable (and visual) aids, on another table laden with fresh and foraged products, from bitter herbs to black walnuts.

Like any cuisine, Armenian food is varied, but a few patterns emerged. There are lots of fresh herbs and pomegranate seeds, rather than spices. Lamb, eggplant, yogurt and various fresh and salty cheeses are recurrent. There are always copious amounts of lavash, the flash-baked flatbread that’s such an integral part of Armenian culture that it’s on UNESCO’s Intangible Cultural Heritage list. There’s often aveluk, an indigenous wild sorrel, which is delicious. Sometimes there’s lake trout.

Refreshingly, there are no tourist restaurants (too few tourists). Nor is there Starbucks or McDonald’s. Rather, there are places like Imtoon, also in Dilijan, a stylish mountain restaurant and guesthouse, and like Vostan, a heritage restaurant with honest cooking and traditional wooden interiors, in Yerevan.

pnglRw3Cm8KG8.png

An Armenian baker making lavash DAVID EGUI

There is also the strangest cooking technique I’ve seen anywhere in the world. It appeared on my itinerary as “satellite trout.” The fish is placed in a glass baking dish with apricots and fresh walnuts, and then the whole thing is suspended above an enormous mirrored structure that looks like a satellite dish. The mirrors reflect the sun’s rays into the baking dish, where their heat evenly cooks the fish.

It sounds like a gimmick, but it’s the opposite. Engineers donated their time to design the structures, which were set in the garden at Machanents House, a tourism and art social enterprise in the holy capital of Ejmiatsin. It’s an experiment in sustainable cooking, as it doesn’t require electricity, any other fuel or cooking oil. There are hopes of making it scalable, building more and set them up in remote mountain villages. The idea left me a bit in awe.

That wasn’t the only time. I felt awe at the history of the Orthodox (called Apostolic) churches that have stood for centuries upon centuries, from the 9th-century monastery complex of Sevanavank in the north to the 13th-century Noravank (“new church”) in the south. The most moving of all is Etchmiadzin, outside Yerevan, built in 303AD and often considered the Vatican of the Armenian Apostolic Church. (The world’s most famous Armenian, Kim Kardashian West, apparently felt that same awe.)

There was plenty of awe at the natural landscapes too. Some 80% of the country is mountainous. There is beauty everywhere, especially the high-altitude Lake Sevan and the rugged and wild terrain of the south (including stretches of the actual Silk Road). Indiana Jones and James Bond comparisons flew as we rode over a long, bumpy road to the mountains of the Syunik Province, high up with hostile land on both sides.

pngGUXGfj4BX6.png

Satellite trout DAVID EGUI

There, the Wings of Tatev, the longest double-track cable car in the world, takes visitors on a stunning, five-kilometer ride over mountainous terrain to the Tatev Monestery, whose restoration is in progress. It’s another project to develop the right kind of tourism and create new jobs in the area.

Because Brask Thomsen organized the trip, the cable car was stopped midway across, some 1,000 feet above a deep gorge, sparkling wine was popped, and sweet snacks were prepared by an Armenian celebrity chef. (It’s a big car.) And after the return, a few of boarded an Airbus H130 flown by Armenian Helicopters for a dazzling ride back to Yerevan as the sun was setting. Along with 100 countries, I’ve also been in more than my share of helicopters, and that one was something else.

Granted, those experiences aren’t available to everyone. Nor were the dinners with Refslund, which are over now anyway. But they show the level of investment that some dreamers are making in Armenia—and that the country is ready for the attention.

Ann Abel
I've been an award-winning travel writer and editor for 19 years – including several as a senior editor at ForbesLife

https://www.forbes.c...el-destination/

#158 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,606 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 07:52 AM

pngyIcKMTsxDB.png
Oct 28 2021

In the Armenian pantry Food specialties and wines popular in Yerevan and the surroundings. A kaleidoscope of flavours and ancient wisdoms worth discovering 28-10-2021
pngjSI3xtXqFR.png
Various dehydrated fruits sold at Gum Market, the covered market in Yerevan, one of the mandatory destinations in Armenia (all photos from David Egui)

For its magic landscapes and monasteries, Armenia is a fairy tale country worth putting at the top of your wish list right away, we were saying. But its food and wines are worth discovering and tasting too.

As often the case with many countries that were under the thumb of the Soviets, the new generations have the desire of giving value to ingredients, recipes and preparations pre and post-USSR (1936-1991) since the culinary basin of Armenia (if you exclude sea fish which is almost absent) is the _expression_ of a microclimate very similar to the Mediterranean one.

The Valley of Ararat is a gigantic basin of vegetables (especially in the spring) and fruits (summer): apricots, even dehydrated, are a sort of national emblem almost as much as the sacred lavash (see photo below). Tomatoes and cucumbers, marvellous in season, are available almost everywhere throughout the year (from greenhouses). In the autumn apples, quince, and persimmon but also cabbage, potatoes, walnuts and other nuts are very popular. Among herbs, parsley, coriander, dill and basil are the most common; as for pomegranates, you can find their grains almost everywhere.

Among the local specialties, there's the ubiquitous trout from Lake Sevan, prepared in all sorts of ways, as well as crayfish (from freshwater as Armenia has no access to the sea). Other popular dishes include dried beef basturmadolma (fermented cabbage leaves), baklavalahmajo (a sort of Armenian pizza), chickufta (a sort of steak tartare) and harisa (a delicious type of porridge). The diet is rich in pork, duck, lamb and lots of cheese (usually not mature). The soviet influence is clear in dishes like salat vinaigrette as well as in the common use of the classic trio of potatoes, sour cream and vodka.

Like Georgia, Armenia claims its role as the world cradle of wine. Which one of the two countries first began is a futile argument. For sure, in the Areni cave, there are proofs of rites of cannibalism, with tastings of blood and wine, dating from over 6 thousand years ago. A custom that can be found in ancient paintings, in which heaven is often depicted as a vineyard. In the few wineries we visited, the European wine making style (small and large barrels) prevails on amphoras (which are much more popular in Georgia).

Below, you can find fragments and protagonists of an intense 3-day trip. The Armenian pantry would deserve a much deeper exploration.

Groong note: go to the link below for more photos.

https://www.identita...ian-pantry.html

#159 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,606 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:50 AM

pngpf5PHK6tci.png
Dec 5 2021

Top 15 Attractions in Yerevan, Armenia

By Vic Gerami

2,800-Year-Old City at the Intersection of Europe and the Middle East, with a Fusion of Armenian, Western European, and Russian culture and tradition is no longer a ‘secret’ to world travelers

Yerevan, the capital of the Republic of Armenia, established in the 8th century B.C., is one of the oldest continually inhabited cities in the world. Yerevan celebrated its 2,800th anniversary in 2018. Although it has a western European ambiance, lined with wide boulevards and sidewalk cafes, remnants of Soviet-era buildings still exist following Armenia’s independence from the Soviet Union in 1991.

Armenia grants citizens from a long list of countries, including the United States, visa-free entry. There are no fees or paperwork for visitors as long as they have a valid passport, and tourists can stay in the country for up to six months.

Expect exceptional hospitality. In Yerevan, hospitality is king, and residents abide by the adage ‘A guest has a place over the host’s head,’ meaning the guest is more important than the host.

Yerevan’s water is touted to be some of the tastiest and purest drinking water in the world. The city built 2,750 water fountains for its residents—and you can drink from them. Great food is a big part of Yerevan’s culture. It is hearty, delicious, diverse, and affordable. Traditional dishes include dolma (grape leaves stuffed with meat or rice), mante (baked meat dumplings served with yogurt), lavash (thin wood-fired bread), lahmajun (thin dough topped with spicy mincemeat), dolma, and stewed meat cooked in wine.

You can see Mount Ararat, the resting place of Noah’s Ark, from many parts of Yerevan, which has a rich music tradition-classical, jazz, and rap. The city is host to 50 museums. Even metro stations look like museums. Yerevan’s ten metro stations are decorated with walls covered in white marble, sculptures, and paintings. Built during the Soviet era, the Metro, 100 drams a ride (25 cents), also provides relief during hot summer months. Keep an eye out for the Sasuntsi Davit Metro stop, which has bronze reliefs of animals and symbols from Armenian epic poems around the ticket booth.

Brady is to Armenia what whiskey is to Ireland. During the 19th century, Armenia established a thriving brandy industry, partly to meet Russia’s demand for cognac. According to popular legend, Winston Churchill acquired a taste for Armenia’s famous brandy, Ararat. The wine scene in Yerevan is also growing as more wine bars open up along Martiros Saryan Street. Armenia is considered one of the first wine-producing countries. Archaeologists discovered the world’s oldest winery here, which dates back 6,000 years, and it’s become a big business over the last few years.

Armenia offers a great deal to different types of tourists. Some come for their ancient history, archeological sites, and monuments. In contrast, others are adventure travelers who choose to bike or hike through its nationwide trails, see the highlands, the waterfalls, and enjoy its ski resorts. Don’t miss the following ten attractions if you go to Yerevan.

REPUBLIC SQUARE

Republic Square is the heart of Yerevan. It is to Armenia what Times Square, the Washington Monument, and the Capital Building Lawn are to American combined. This is where many demonstrations have taken place, including Armenia’s ‘Velvet Revolution’ in 2018. It is also a popular space for large-scale concerts, hosting the band ‘System of a Down’ several times.’

They call Yerevan the ‘Pink city’ for nothing. As you stand at the Center of Republic Square, you will notice that most buildings are built from volcanic bricks of varying shades of pink. I think the color reflects the fun and vibrant vibe of the city very well.

At night, the square’s spectacular water fountain show is a popular attraction. The water show is synchronized with epic music from classical masters, famous Armenian musicians, and contemporary artists.

RepublicSquare-scaled.jpg
CAFESJIAN CENTER FOR THE ARTS AND THE CASCADE COMPLEX

The Cafesjian Center for the Arts, located in The Cascade Complex, is dedicated to bringing the best of contemporary art to Armenia and presenting the best of Armenian culture to the world. Inspired by the vision of its founder, Gerard L. Cafesjian, the Center offers a wide variety of exhibitions, including a selection of important work from the Gerard L. Cafesjian Collection of contemporary art.

Having celebrated its grand opening in November 2009, CCA exhibits unique works of modern and contemporary art and offers a diverse program of lectures, films, concerts, and numerous educational initiatives for adults and children. Over one million people have visited the Center annually since its opening.

The building that now houses the Cafesjian Center for the Arts is well known to the Armenian people, especially those living in its capital city of Yerevan. Known as “The Cascade,” the complex was initially conceived by Alexander Tamanyan (1878–1936).

Construction of Torosyan’s design of the Cascade was launched by the Soviets in the 1980s but abandoned after the Armenian earthquake of 1988 and the break-up of the Soviet Union in 1991.

The Cascade is a giant stairway showcasing different fountains and sculptures on each level. You need to see for yourself to know the accurate scale of the Cascade. It is massive. At the top, you will be able to get an unobstructed view of Yerevan and Mount Ararat.

cmf.am

Cascade.jpg
TSITSERNAKABERD ARMENIAN GENOCIDE MEMORIAL COMPLEX 

Yerevan’s Tsitsernakaberd Memorial complex is dedicated to the memory of the 1.5 million Armenians who perished in the first Genocide of the 20th century at the hands of the Turkish government. Completed in 1967, the Genocide Monument has since become an integral part of Yerevan’s architecture and a pilgrimage site. Set on a hill and dominating the landscape, it is in perfect harmony with its surroundings. Its austere outlines convey the spirit of the nation that survived a ruthless campaign of extermination.

The Museum and Institute were opened in Tsitsernakaberd in 1995 to commemorate the 80th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide.

Genocide-Museum.am

TSITSERNAKABERD-scaled.jpg
NORTHERN AVENUE

If you want to visit Yerevan’s answer to New York’s 5th Avenue, Los Angeles’ Rodeo Drive, and Paris’ Avenue Montaigne, then head over to Northern Avenue. Opened in 2007, the pedestrian-only street is located in downtown Yerevan and is home to luxury residential buildings, hotels, restaurants, nightclubs, and designer boutiques, including Armani, Burberry, and Ermenegildo Zegna.

In March 2019, a section of Northern Avenue was dedicated as Europe Square to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the establishment of the Council of Europe. The Vice-Speaker of the Parliament of Armenia, Alen Simonyan, stated, “Over the past 28 years following its independence Armenia, adhered to the pan-European values, continues building its cooperation in the European direction”.

57998269.jpg
MUSEUM COMPLEX OF THE MATENADARAN

Matenadaran, also known as the Mesrop Mashtots Institute of Ancient Manuscripts, has one of the largest and most valuable collections of manuscripts that include Armenia’s and other nations’ priceless documents.

The word ‘Matenadaran’ means ‘holder of manuscripts’ or ‘manuscript collector.’ Today, the Armenian public associates the word ‘Matenadaran’ with the nation’s spiritual and cultural richness and pride, embodied in the structure of the manuscript repository.

The Matenadaran has consolidated about 23,000 manuscripts, including almost all ancient and medieval Armenian cultural and sciences – history, geography, grammar, philosophy, law, medicine, mathematics, cosmology, chronology, divination literature, translated and national literature, miniature painting, music, and theater. The Matenadaran also holds manuscripts in Arabic, Persian, Greek, Ethiopian, Syrian, Latin, Tamil, and other languages. Many originals, lost in their mother languages and known only by their Armenian translations, have been saved from medieval translations.

The Matenadaran museum complex is in the institute’s old, original building. What was formerly a single exhibition hall now consists of fifteen halls in which thousands of temporary, changeable, and exclusive exhibits are on display. Manuscript, fragments of manuscripts, documents, old, printed books, precious bindings, individual miniatures, and more are shown from Matenadaran’s database of roughly 23,000 manuscripts.

Matenadaran.am

Matenadaran.jpg
ARARAT BRANDY FACTORY 

Get to know the art of creating the legendary ‘Ararat’ brandies by visiting the museum in Yerevan. During the tour, you will get acquainted with the history of brandy-making that made Armenia famous and see the main stages of production. The tour ends in a tasting room, where you can taste several iconic brandies.

The history of the oldest brand of Armenian brandy began more than 130 years ago, in 1887, when the first brandy production in Armenia was founded. And today, ‘Ararat,’ presented in 35 countries, is the first global brand of Armenian cognac.

AraratBrandy.com

AraratBrandyFactory.jpg
VERNISSAGE OPEN-AIR MARKET

Vernissage open-air exhibition market is one of the most enjoyable places to visit in Yerevan. Aside from souvenirs, you’ll find great Armenian folk art, unique jewelry, carpets, old paintings, and exclusive handmade masterpieces.

From the French word for ‘varnishing,’ Vernissage means preview or launch an art exhibition. Considering how many artists and craftsmen showcase their work here, it’s no surprise the market bears this name.

It was formed during the 1980s by Armenian artists who started to display their artworks in the square next to the Artists’ Union of Armenia (the current Charles Aznavour Square). Others have used the park next to Komitas State Conservatory to show their works. Later, the Vernissage was moved to Martiros Saryan garden in front of the Opera House. The exhibition market was gradually enlarged and finally moved to Aram and Buzand streets, starting with the Republic square metro station and ending with the statue of Vardan Mamikonyan. However, painters are still using the Saryan park to show their painting works.

Vernissage-scaled.jpg

#160 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,606 posts

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:50 AM

OPERA HOUSE

Another wonder of Armenian architecture is the Armenian National Academic Theatre of Opera and Ballet building, named after Alexander Spendiaryan. Located in the heart of Yerevan, this building is another masterpiece of Alexander Tamanyan that was awarded the Grand Prize at the World Exhibition in Paris. The building is considered the symbol of music culture expressed through the architectural grace and classic splendor.

The Theatre of Opera and Ballet was officially opened on January 20, 1933. The building is round in shape. It consists of two concert halls with 1,400 seats and Aleksandr Spendarian Opera and Ballet National Theatre with 1,200 seats.

There is a round square in front of the Theatre of Opera and Ballet named ‘Azatutyun,’ meaning freedom, with the statue of the great Armenian poet Hovhannes Tumanian and composer Aleksandr Spendarian. The ‘Freedom square’ is a favorite with the locals.

Opera.am

OperaHouse-scaled.jpg
EREBUNI FORTRESS & MUSEUM 

Erebuni is one of the oldest existing fortresses, built in 782 B.C., and is the precursor to Yerevan. 2018 was thus the 2,800th anniversary of Erebuni-Yerevan.

Erebuni Fortress was founded by the king of Urartu, Argishti the First, who left written testimony upon building the castle. The fortress has not yet been fully explored and undoubtedly has secrets of the city’s history. Some major part of the 2800-year-old fortress did not endure to this day and was impossible to restore.

Erebuni museum displays the findings of excavations conducted on the remnants of the fortress. The permanent exhibitions of the museum showcase artifacts from the Urartu era, including but not limited to cuneiforms, weapons, belts, bracelets, and other pieces of jewelry made of gold and silver, statues, bronze ware, tableware, etc.

Diggings and archaeological excavations discovered areas where grain processing and wine practices had taken place. The jars and other pottery pieces had wine traces on them, affirming the high level of culture and traditions of the Urartian dynasty.

ErebuniFortress.jpg
SAINT GREGORY THE ILLUMINATOR CATHEDRAL 

The Saint Gregory the Illuminator Cathedral, also known as the Yerevan Cathedral, is the largest cathedral of the Armenian Apostolic Church. It is in the Kentron District (Central District) of Yerevan, the capital of Armenia. It is one of the largest religious buildings in the South Caucasus, along with the Holy Trinity Cathedral of Tbilisi (known as the Sameba Cathedral). Adjacent to the General Andranik metro station, it is visible from many areas of Yerevan.

The cathedral’s consecration took place on September 23, 2001, on the occasion of the 1700th anniversary of the proclamation of Christianity as the state religion of Armenia. The cathedral houses the relics of Saint Gregory the Illuminator and the Holy Remains of St. Gregory, brought from Naples, Italy. Shortly after the consecration of the cathedral, Pope John Paul II paid a visit to the cathedral.

StGregoryCathedral.jpg
HISTORY MUSEUM OF ARMENIA

The history museum of Armenia, regarded as Armenia’s national museum, was founded on September 9, 1919. It was called Ethnographic-Anthropological Museum-Library at first and opened its doors on August 20, 1921.

The museum has collections in archaeology, numismatics, ethnography, modern history and restoration. It has a national collection of 400,000. 35% of the main collection is made up of archaeology related items, 8% of the collection is made up of Ethnography related items, Numismatics related items make up 45%, and 12% of the collection is made up of documents. The state financially supports the museum and owns both the collection and the building. The museum carries out conservation and restoration work and publishes works on Armenian architecture, archaeology, ethnography, and history. They also have published a series of reports on archaeological excavations since 1948.

HistoryMuseum.am

HistoryMuseumOfArmenia-scaled.jpg
MOTHER ARMENIA MONUMENT

Mother Armenia monument is one of the most popular in Yerevan. It was founded in 1967 as a victory memorial for World War II. The sculpture has a special symbolism – from its height, Mother Armenia seems to guard the peace of the city with a sword and shield.

Before the memorial construction, there was another monument, the symbol of socialism – the statue of Stalin. It was demolished and replaced by the sculpture symbolizing Armenia. Mother Armenia is a symbol of the power and unity of the Motherland.

A huge sculpture is one of the highest in Yerevan. The height of it is 22 meters, plus it has a pedestal of 51 meters high. The pedestal is a museum of the Ministry of Defense of Armenia, exhibiting documents, photographs and everything related to the Great Patriotic War and the Nagorno-Karabakh War.

The monument is located in Victory Park near the Eternal flame, on an observation deck with a breathtaking view of the city.

MotherArmenia-scaled.jpg
LOVERS’ PARK

The Park dates to the 18th century, known as Kozern Park named after the Kozern district, a northwestern suburb of old Yerevan. It was well known for its medieval cemetery and its chapel.

After the World War II, the park was redesigned in 1949 and renamed Pushkin Park by the decision of the Council of Ministers of the Armenian Soviet Socialist Republic, as part of the celebration of the 150th anniversary of the birth of the renowned Russian poet Alexander Pushkin. Later in 1970, the park was named Barekamutyun (Friendship) as a tribute to the friendship of all Soviet Union member nations. In 1995, following the independence of Armenia, by the decision of the presidency of Yerevan City Council’s civil representatives, the park was renamed Lovers’ Park Yerevan, based on the fact that the park had been a favorite rendezvous for many couples, during the second half of the 20th century.

LoversPark.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users