Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,351 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

Oud master Yervant Bostancı to return to hometown Diyarbakır

Posted Image
May 30, 2013 - 18:42 AMT
PanARMENIAN.Net - World-renowned master of oud Yervant Bostancı, a Diyarbakır native of Armenian descent, announced March 30 that he has decided to return to his hometown following separate calls by the culture minister and Diyarbakır mayor for minorities that have emigrated to return to Turkey, Hurriyet Daily News reported.
Bostancı, who has been living in California for 21 years, said he was set to move to Diyarbakır in June, being the first Armenian to respond to the calls.
"Diyarbakır Mayor Osman Baydemir and other fellow countrymen wanted me to come back. I could not rip my heart from [my birthplace]. People should die where they are born. I'm coming to die," Bostancı said, adding that he did not find genuine happiness in the United States.

#2 Hartun

Hartun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

I read this elsewhere and then read the "calls" by the culture ministry of Turkey. They say that "all minorities are welcomed back to Anatolia" etc. but I can't imagine who would want to go back there after everything that has happened, except someone such as Yervant who was born there.

The Turks are gradually realizing that Armenians don't have the power to demand reparations in money or land and now they are slowly making Eastern Turkey into a tourist attraction for Armenians from the West. They also know noone is going to respond to the call for minorities to return, so they can make such a statement to make themselves look good. Its sad, but to be honest I would probably end up visiting with the rest of them, after all I want to see my ancestral lands............

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users