49 replies to this topic

#1 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:01 PM

Anyone watching the debate? Man Kerry is seriously kicking some ass!!!! Bush just keeps repeating himself and not even getting close on answering back to Kerry's attacks!

#2 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:33 PM

agree 100%. Pretty good debate. It is pretty amazing how Bush does not answer the questions. Its like he has memorized things and is just saying them instead of answering the question. Sometimes the answers never even touch the qurestion

#3 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:45 PM

I don't believe I have watched an American presidential debate... that is a first for me.

I still think that Kerry could have done a lot better with all the occasions he had.

This debate was the best chance Bush had... the others will be of content... The next time I will prepare some pop corn and watch Bush fall. biggrin.gif

Edited by Fadix, 30 September 2004 - 08:46 PM.

#4 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:52 PM

I think the biggest mistake Bush made was to imply that he doesn't see the difference between Iraq and Osama (9/11). He actually said "they attacked us" ... even if he didn't mean it, Kerry was very smart to pick up on that.

But surprisingly enough, neither made any huge mistakes or screwed up on anything too obvious. It was just on the sheer substance of what they were saying that Kerry came off waaay on top I thought.

I think the "flip flop" issue basically came down to this: Bush saying Kerry is not clear on his position and you can't say things like what he is saying about being in Iraq and be a good leader... ... and Kerry pointing out that it's downright stupid to keep sticking to a mistake in order to be a strong leader. There is nothing wrong with saying I made a mistake and trying to correct it. Heck if the intelligence was wrong, it wasn't even maybe Bush's fault.

Edited by Seapahn, 30 September 2004 - 08:53 PM.

#5 shaunt

shaunt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:59 PM

They kept on repeating the same things over and over again.

#6 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 09:09 PM

yawn.gif

I feel bad for you yanks. You really don't have much in the way of choice. smile.gif Of course, it's the same story up here, except we get to watch a few more fools during the 'debates' smile.gif

#7 ED

ED

Քեռի

• Nobility
  • 5,960 posts
  • Interests:Music, traveling, Salvador Dali, Tolstoy, Sevak, Charents
    wine, sushi and lots lots more

Posted 30 September 2004 - 09:13 PM

I seriously thought Bush had a ear peace on, like a radio transmition some sort, someone was dictating him what to say, a poppet, he would look confused at times then keep on repeating himself.

Kerry did great, on fox the argument was the split screen made Kerry look much bigger then Bush. What a joke!! They argued shot should have held both to a head level so they look equally tall.

#8 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 30 September 2004 - 10:08 PM

Pretty intense stuff. I have to agree with Domino and with shaunt, Kerry could have done better and both kept saying the same things over and over again, nothing dynamic. I am simply amazed at Bushes lack of eloquence, he is just a stack of hey when it comes to intelligence or smartness for that matter. He did make the mistake of continuously pointing out how Saddam and Osama attacked the US. But some of the things he said were outright ridiculous. For example in reference to how tragic the situation in Iraq is Bush responded, “I know how hard it is; I get casualty reports every day and I see how hard it is on TV screens.” Or, I think we can see the major difference between us, we “disagree efficiently,” can people disagree inefficiently? Doesn’t it call for a “duh!”? Also how he repeated the “Grand Diversion,” every time he got a chance as if it’s a new phrase he learned and was eager to abuse. His “folks,” “hatred in their hearts,” “wrong war, wrong time, wrong place,” and finally when he responded to the Korea question, what do you have to say to the truth and does it raise hackles, he answered “About Korea I’ve said everything I think about it, and I am a pretty calm guy.” Those statements made my bowels move with irritation. The guy is a completely unintelligible buffoon. Also did you notice how fidgety he was and how much water he downed? I guess his alcoholic tendencies were calling at that debate.

I honestly wasn’t that impressed with Kerry either, however his only 2 winning cards were his articulateness (or lack of Bushes) and that he attacked Bushes strategy and judgment. Also it’s absolutely amazing how both of them mentioned Israel. Bush said the most moronic thing ever, and it seems as if no one picked up on it. “Iraq will set a great example and help to secure Israel.” If that it is not a sure way to hand a gun over to the Arabs and Middle East and say now you can blow my head of because I clearly expressed my real agenda, than I don’t know what is.

All in all, as a conclusion to stop this nonsense and clear our reputation we need a penisless president in the White House. tongue.gif

#9 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 10:16 PM

At the very least this debate will make those who were unsure take a good second look at Kerry.

#10 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 30 September 2004 - 10:20 PM

even though Bush clearly lacks the intelligence, Kerry is a professional politician and sometimes does very bad job hiding it.
plus, unfortunately, Bush's short, abstract, dogmatic statements, such as "we are doing a good job", "it's a tough thing to do", "we have strong coalition", will be more appealing to the most of the Americans.

#11 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts
  • Interests:Running around at dawn and poking innocent bystanders with pipe cleaners.

Posted 30 September 2004 - 10:20 PM

Also that wonderful statement by Bush which completely blew me away. "Believe me, I know how this world is!" Ahem...

#12 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE (anileve @ Sep 30 2004, 10:20 PM)
Also that wonderful statement by Bush which completely blew me away. "Believe me, I know how this world is!"  Ahem...

Yah I busted out laughing at that biggrin.gif A few years ago he couldn't even name most of the countries ... but he seems to have gotten better at that ... at least he seems to get the names of the foreign leaders right!

Edited by Seapahn, 30 September 2004 - 10:28 PM.

#13 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (anileve @ Sep 30 2004, 10:20 PM)
Also that wonderful statement by Bush which completely blew me away. "Believe me, I know how this world is!"  Ahem...

Yeh, he knew it so well that just after the elections 4 years ago, he didn't knew whom was Canadas prime minister... (I'm not kidding, a Canadian TV crew exposed him ignoring it)

#14 Anileve

Anileve

Epicure Maximus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (Sip @ Oct 1 2004, 12:27 AM)
Yah I busted out laughing at that  biggrin.gif  A few years ago he couldn't even name most of the countries ... but he seems to have gotten better at that ... at least he seems to get the names of the foreign leaders right!

Yeah his speech therapist and his 3rd grade geography teacher are finally making progress...after 3 years.

Domino, as if anyone was surprised! But he didn't forget about POLAND!!!!! That also made me laugh; he said it with such triumph, what is the actual number of Polish soldiers in Iraq, 100?

Edited by anileve, 30 September 2004 - 10:35 PM.

#15 Accelerated

Accelerated

eh?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts
  • Interests:always changing

Posted 30 September 2004 - 10:39 PM

I saw the whole thing, it didnt come around to me as news that Bush was a baffoon, but I wasnt particularly impressed with Kerry either, might be because he was trying to appeal to the 'Bush crowd'. After all, no sane person would vote for Bush after hearing him utter a single sentence.

you guys better get out there and vote for Kerry! mad.gif

#16 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 11:31 PM

Accel you don't understand Amarrocans! I won't be surprised if Bush wins! It would be logical and reasonable. smile.gif

#17 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (gamavor @ Sep 30 2004, 11:31 PM)
Accel you don't understand Amarrocans! I won't be surprised if Bush wins! It would be logical and reasonable.  smile.gif

Yah because he said "God bless this country" and Kerry said "stem cel research" ... for a lot of people, that's enough to make the decision!!! blink.gif

#18 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 08:10 AM

Th most stupid thing Bush said was about International Criminal Court. The guy pracically admitted that the U.S. is an international criminal...and that's why it is afraid of being tried in foreign courts.

#19 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 08:17 AM

Kerry,Kerry,Kerry all the way.I was suprised how unintelegent Bush was.He does not even know the numbers and facts such as when he said 100K Iraqi troops being trained and later reporters checked that figure which is 50K.Not even close.He tried his stupid tactic of calling Kerry flip flap by saying he changed positions which Kerry answeared brillently that being stand fast on a wrong track is hardly an asset.Overall Kerry did great.

#20 THOTH

THOTH

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 01 October 2004 - 08:21 AM

Kerry absolutely needed to win this debate - to score a home run (using American baseball coloquilism) - and he didn't IMO. For the most part he failed to distinguish himself from Bush at all...I mostly hear "stay the course" from both of them. It is also clear to me that neither truly understands the stakes in Iraq and the utter failure it is/will be. Though I could agree more with Kerry's critique (of the Bush approach/actions) and of course i agree with his call for international participation/ (and true leadership) and the falure of this administration to do such - etc etc and so on and so forth - his delivery of these messages wasn't nearly crisp enough - and he didn't at all take off the gloves and call this administration for what it is and call them on the carpet for their deceptions. And neither candidate at all understands the terror issue and the root of it (and the fact that not all wars are won by force of arms...)...none will go there of course - and we all - I assume know what I am talking about...the Israel -Palestinian issue...etc....in the end I was impressed with neither - and the result is my longing for a 3rd party alternative - any alternative....(and in fact I have been an advocate of the "3rd party" - to be called the "3rd party" and have no platform other then representative democracy...) - and perhaps I could explain my ideas on this sometime if any might be interested.......and I also think we could do better by randomly picking a name out of a hat....so sad...but basically true...(and same is true for Congress/House of reps as well..)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users