I need help and 'ting (Filiz you might be able to do somethi

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Chatting, Getting to know people, studying reading playing/listening to all types of music, relaxing, generally having a great time and enjoying life!!!

Posted 13 July 2001 - 07:47 AM

Right. I have drawn these pictures of Nune and Djivan, and I have also drawn pics of tashnags too. Some others to do with my day-to-day life, but more about this later. I am actually attempting to construct a web -page, showing them too. The address is in geocities, but its hasnt got anything on it yet at all.

Filiz, I was thinking of you, whilst doing this. How did you do yours? I do not even know where to start. Also, HOW THE HELL do you post pictures online, so that you can also post them over here too? AAAAGH!!!!

I saw yours and liked it. I don't think it does you fully justice however, because you could devote whole sections to the Armenia/Turkey/Karabagh things you talk about here and devote little sub-sections to invite ppl to discuss them..I think it could attract a whole lot of interest and raise awareness.

Someone pls reply soon because I have ants in my pants about the whole thing!

#2 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:a little bit of everything.

Posted 13 July 2001 - 09:30 AM

You into drawing? That's cool. Are you an art student or some such?
First off - download an FTP program from download.com to upload your files to the server. I recommend WS FTP - or it was something like that - don't have it yet because just recently formatted my hard-drive - plus I now use Net54 - suits me just fine, as you don't need any software - just IE.
Additionally, those were just forums.
WS FTP is cool in that it is easy to use - or maybe I was just used to it. Doesn't take anything to figure out how it works.
It will ask for your login and password. You will have to write ftp.geocities.com (I think I remember) in one of the fields there - topmost one, I think - try.
I guess that's it. (That I can think for now.)
I think you might actually ask Steve for fine tuning (but I must add I am taking care not so speak for him - LOL).
Discussions - get yourself a network54 login and create a forum.
Oh - one thing I remembered: geocities does not allow hotlinking anymore. This means that you cannot post pictures here. I got my brains blown off until I figured it out.
If you get yourself a net54 login, you can create a realm and upload files with fair ease, though that, too, has its inconveniences. They don't allocate you that much space. I don't know what it is you want.
I guess this is all I can say for now. I hope I haven't muddled anything (LOL).

#3 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 13 July 2001 - 11:03 PM

Confirmed: http://network54.com...ageid=987321332
and http://network54.com...ageid=982807990

#4 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 13 July 2001 - 12:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Thorny Rose:
It will ask for your login and password.

Make that "username and password"...

#5 Anahid Takouhi

Anahid Takouhi

Meg Hadig

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Yes Taguhi Pid Darnam

Posted 13 July 2001 - 12:50 PM

Thorny,
Your sites are boring

#6 bellthecat

bellthecat

A poor kitty, lost in the rain.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Interests:mreowing purring snuggling sleeping

Posted 13 July 2001 - 01:53 PM

Kazza, doesn't your ISP give you free webspace - or are you using a university/internet cafe connection?

But didn't you post a picture here before? I thought you did - and used Homestead.com (which is why I now also use them) - or am I thinking of someone else? Must be! Homestead still allows hotlinking by the way - and you can upload without using a ftp program - but their online website "design" software is difficult to use. FTP stands for file transfer protocol, by the way - the software that you use to transfer the file from your computer to the web server.

This message board need the images to be stored on another server/web space (you just add the address for the image to your post here). Network54 seems to allow you to store pictures on their own webspace.

#7 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 13 July 2001 - 07:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bellthecat:
Network54 seems to allow you to store pictures on their own webspace.

You can create a realm (read "web page") or you can create "temporary" files through the "insert object" button - they last only a week, though.

#8 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 13 July 2001 - 07:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hmayk:
Thorny,
Your sites are boring

I know, I'm boring, too.

#9 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 13 July 2001 - 07:27 PM

Aha, since you are new, Hmayk, please read about my trip to Kayseri: http://network54.com/Hide/Forum/126178
Disregard the first two or three posts at the top, though.

#10 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Chatting, Getting to know people, studying reading playing/listening to all types of music, relaxing, generally having a great time and enjoying life!!!

Posted 16 July 2001 - 03:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Thorny Rose:
You into drawing? That's cool. Are you an art student or some such?
First off - download an FTP program from download.com to upload your files to the server. I recommend WS FTP - or it was something like that - don't have it yet because just recently formatted my hard-drive - plus I now use Net54 - suits me just fine, as you don't need any software - just IE.
Additionally, those were just forums.
WS FTP is cool in that it is easy to use - or maybe I was just used to it. Doesn't take anything to figure out how it works.
It will ask for your login and password. You will have to write ftp.geocities.com (I think I remember) in one of the fields there - topmost one, I think - try.
I guess that's it. (That I can think for now.)
I think you might actually ask Steve for fine tuning (but I must add I am taking care not so speak for him - LOL).
Discussions - get yourself a network54 login and create a forum.
Oh - one thing I remembered: geocities does not allow hotlinking anymore. This means that you cannot post pictures here. I got my brains blown off until I figured it out.
If you get yourself a net54 login, you can create a realm and upload files with fair ease, though that, too, has its inconveniences. They don't allocate you that much space. I don't know what it is you want.
I guess this is all I can say for now. I hope I haven't muddled anything (LOL).

Thanks for telling me about that about net 54. Also to you Steve. If they only allow pics for a week - I'm not having any of that! You see-I like to call myself an IT student - turned animation and film-making trainee(I used to be an amateur but have turned it to my proffession now after not knowing exactly what I wanted to do - but it is the jargon that throws me. Learning computers is like learning a whole new language. The speakers of English as a second language are often so much better at that . I think it's because they have learnt how to get the hang of one language . But back on the subject!

I want my website to be personal but to tell the truth I'd like it to promote my work a bit too. This is why I won't find it useful to show pictures on a short -term basis. I made this music to accompany a film I made. It's a rap song, and it's got mandolins and duduk in in too. My mother and her friend heard it and they said, "where you drunk or on something when you made that?"

Anyway - back onto the subject. I am currently at this second, trying to construct the site, using a CD with step by step instructions in a magazine. So I might forget geocitites - I step up another site somewhere else too. We'll just have to see how it goes. And I am typing these messages as well at the same time !

About uploading I had experienced the screen freezing and other such tiresome problems. I did post a picture here Steve: but this is the whole problem. That was already on a website, so I knew how to take it from there fine. My problem is actually getting scannings of my pictures ONTO a website. I'll try download.com I cant do any thing much to Hard drives, because they are at college and cafes. My modem at home has broken (It was one of these second hand with a money back guarantee things. I had to run all the way to the westend to exchange it FIVE TIMES! I don't wanna do that again. Plus my computer at home is screwed , it takes five mins to go from page to page so I need a new computer. We will just see what is suitable. Bah humbug, grumble grumble moan.

Note to Garo: you said I could email pictures and that you could post them! I emailed you the picture as an attachment , did you ever get them?

#11 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 06:38 AM

Ok, here it is. I did it this afternoon in a webbuilder. Its:

web page

#12 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 09:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kazza:
Ok, here it is. I did it this afternoon in a webbuilder. Its:

web page

Not working... I got to the file at last, but the image won't show up. I don't know if the other guys can see it, but I can't. Did I forget to add that sometimes geocities malfunctions as well?

#13 bellthecat

bellthecat

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 16 July 2001 - 11:55 PM

Kazza, couldn't even get to the page!

A few tips for web page coding for utter beginners.

Buy a cheap book on html coding

When designing the page, put everything (htm files, pictures, etc) into the same directory if it is possible. If you do not know what a directory is - then getting that book is a must!

You do not need a quick computer or an internet connection to design pages. Any PC that can run Internet Explorer can be used to view an htm file offline. And ANY PC, even including the original 1980something IBM XT PC, can be used to write that htm file! All you need is a basic text editor like notepad.

Avoid using web design programs - you do not need them for simple sites, and for anything complicated, unless you know what you are doing you will get something that will not work or will look totally hideous.

Steve

PS - take a look at homestead.com, their file upload is quite easy, although the screen says nothing when the upload is going on so look out for the hourglass symbol just to check it is working OK. However the thing I mentioned about having a single directory won't work as homestead puts all pictures into a separate image directory - so you will have to know about file paths (how to tell an htm file in one directory where the image directory is).

#14 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 06:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bellthecat:
Kazza, couldn't even get to the page!

A few tips for web page coding for utter beginners.

Buy a cheap book on html coding

When designing the page, put everything (htm files, pictures, etc) into the same directory if it is possible. If you do not know what a directory is - then getting that book is a must!

You do not need a quick computer or an internet connection to design pages. Any PC that can run Internet Explorer can be used to view an htm file offline. And ANY PC, even including the original 1980something IBM XT PC, can be used to write that htm file! All you need is a basic text editor like notepad.

Avoid using web design programs - you do not need them for simple sites, and for anything complicated, unless you know what you are doing you will get something that will not work or will look totally hideous.

Steve

PS - take a look at homestead.com, their file upload is quite easy, although the screen says nothing when the upload is going on so look out for the hourglass symbol just to check it is working OK. However the thing I mentioned about having a single directory won't work as homestead puts all pictures into a separate image directory - so you will have to know about file paths (how to tell an htm file in one directory where the image directory is).

I bought a magazine. Used my initiative.

I didn't get the book. I did use a web design program..

anyway guys thanks for the tips I will try them. In the mean time look at Kazza's Pics

When you get there, go to the link marked"Kazza-Stan"

TR

Yes, geocities DOES malfunction. Sorry-Geocities is just one BIG malfunction itself. I think I'll move sites. Easy enough to do.

Look forward to more advice soon....back to the grindstone for me.

#15 bellthecat

bellthecat

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 07:22 AM

Still no picture showing, Kazza! (And none is marked in the index directory). But why not have a picture of your own sweet self?

Steve

#16 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 07:59 AM

Yup, Kazza, this picture is missing... http://www.geocities...79us/Image2.gif

#17 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 08:42 AM

Yeah, I know...I didn't have time to upload them today,.
Tommorrow! I have drawn more since, so..

It's quite a nice idea to post photos on a site, and I know many do it. But I'm not too keen on the idea of doing that over a public setting.. I don't really WANT the whole world to see my picture anyway.. You can't be TOO open, can you? You need to be a bit careful.

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: Kazza ]

#18 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 12:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kazza:
It's quite a nice idea to post photos on a site, and I know many do it. But I'm not too keen on the idea of doing that over a public setting.. I don't really WANT the whole world to see my picture anyway.. You can't be TOO open, can you? You need to be a bit careful.

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: Kazza ]

Yup. Better paranoid than regretful. I actually mailed a few people, photos of myself. I wish I hadn't. Everyone has their reasons.

#19 Kazza

Kazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 23 July 2001 - 06:08 AM

HI,
What I was saying was it's not a case of being paranoid, but just trying to be a bit selective. I'm sorry that you e-mailed photos then regretted it. Sometimes it can't really be helped because people can be very convincing, but it's good to learn from things.

I will actually have my picture on there, but will need a password first, and use the network 54 login.

You might wan't to give this a go. It's not the real thing but I guess it's a bit of a ten-minuite practice. (It does work this time, BTW!)
http://network54.com/Forum/141513

#20 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 23 July 2001 - 09:11 AM

I will not post until you disable view of IP numbers...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users