#21 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 03 November 2001 - 04:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by khodja:
This is just the type of negative Armenian propaganda that I previously mentioned. This kind of commentary is very counter-productive. And it is no wonder that some Armenians call my great-grandfather a traitor for his "Aslaneh ge kenanagor, mi artensener!" comment. This stuff is like a little mouse giving "the finger" to the lion which is sittng next to him.

Listen Mehmet,

Your great-grandfather was lucky that I was not his contemporary. I would gladly shoot him.

#22 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Interests:a little bit of everything.

Posted 03 November 2001 - 05:12 PM

So, "aslan" means "lion" in Armenian also. Maybe it is Armenian (or Farsi or other) anyway, because I doubt there were lions in Central Asia... I do, however, remember there being the statue of a beast somewhere around the whereabouts of those inscriptions in Mongolia... I don't remember what it was - will have a look to see if it was actually a lion!
Lion is written as "aslan" or "arslan"... And it is funny that it's like writing "ass" or "arse" in English... LOL.
It is used as a proper name by Turks, and Circassians (and perhaps 'most everyone else in the northern Caucasus) do, too, although I don't know if it is the same "aslan" (meaning-wise)... Aslan Maskhadov is a Chechen example.
If the Circassians got it from Turks (either by migratory tribes or contact with the Ottomans), it wouldn't surprise me, because Circassians also used "Tengiz," the Turkish word for sea (deniz) as a proper name (before we in the republic made a move toward more Turkish names and less Farsi and Arabic)... I know about that name because I also read it in Fazyl Iskender's "Sandro of Chegem"... And Turkish was pretty much understood by the elderly there.
It can also be the case that "aslan" is a Caucasian word (shared by Armenians and Circassians and who else) and the Turks got it from them. It seems more likely to me, almost.
That said, it would seem odd that the earliest Turkish conquerors in Anatolia adapted the word so readily as to actually have names like Kılıçarslan and Alparslan.
But... Where were we? Oh yes.

#23 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 03 November 2001 - 05:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gamavor:

Listen Mehmet,

Your great-grandfather was lucky that I was not his contemporary. I would gladly shoot him.

Yee haaaaaaaaa! Armenian cowboy...

#24 khodja

khodja

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:genocide recognition

Posted 03 November 2001 - 06:00 PM

Gamavor,

No need! Your doppelgangers, the Triumvirate did the job for you.

Thorny,

She's a cowgirl. From Beirut and Yerevan, they learn the ways of the prairie, horse wrastling (no not misspelled), etc.
Her former Governor, now the US President is also a cowboy. Armenians quickly take on the characteristics of the adopted land. I can just see her high in the saddle going after a bunch of "Injuns." Problem is, for these Armenian folk, they look very much like the "Injuns" (Native Americans).

#25 khodja

khodja

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 03 November 2001 - 06:06 PM

Gamavor,

Were you anywhere in the vicinity of the Armenian Parliament building on October 27, 1999?

#26 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts
  • Interests:Theology, Tennis, Jazz, Modern Art, Red Wine

Posted 03 November 2001 - 06:12 PM

Thorny,

"Aslan" is not Armenian word.

An a related note, I would like to reference an allegory quoted by a Hye Forum member in the past, according to which "The hunt of a sleeping lion goes to the wolves."

As to the last caesura of our common liability, I would consult with some good therapists to get some advice on how to proceed.

P.S. But it wouldn't be easy given the seriousness of the case.

[ November 03, 2001: Message edited by: MJ ]

#27 khodja

khodja

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 03 November 2001 - 06:20 PM

MJ,

You wouldn't need to consult with a psychologist if you realized that my nickname is Nasraddin.

#28 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 03 November 2001 - 06:24 PM

Dear "Boghos,"

I would still like to consult a therapist. It is too much of a responsibility to deal with such fragile minds and souls.

#29 khodja

khodja

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 03 November 2001 - 06:47 PM

MJ,

When you consult with a therapist, speaking of fragile minds and souls, ask them the effects that the Armenian community have on those who will not "toe the line."

#30 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 03 November 2001 - 07:21 PM

I did. He says, "What the hell is "Boghos" going after the Armenian community, after all that it has done to him?" He says, "Get away from it, go embrace your other identities, leave the Armenian community alone, and have them leave you alone."

#31 khodja

khodja

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 03 November 2001 - 08:55 PM

What other identity do you suggest that I embrace? That of the country my father escaped to after the Genocide where they taunted him with the words "salle etranger," the Assyrian that my maternal great-grandfather was, or do you suggest that I go back centuries and find my partial roots from back then? The problem is not with me it is with those of you who insist that to be Armenian one has to think and act exactly as you do.

#32 khodja

khodja

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 03 November 2001 - 10:04 PM

MJ,

Nope, not Poghos Poghosyan. Who needs Turks these last few years? Fellow Armenians are killing Armenians. Nope, not Boghos. I wonder how many common Armenian names remain.
Hint: I have been told by many that I am very handsome for an Armenian. Even an Assyrian Queen would want to possess me.

#33 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 03 November 2001 - 10:57 PM

quote:
Who needs Turks these last few years? Fellow Armenians are killing Armenians.

LOL... "With Armenians like these, who needs Turks?" LOL...

#34 ThornyRose

ThornyRose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 03 November 2001 - 10:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MJ:
Thorny,

"Aslan" is not Armenian word.

So what is lion in Armenian?

#35 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 04 November 2001 - 03:41 AM

quote:
MJ,

Nope, not Poghos Poghosyan. Who needs Turks these last few years? Fellow Armenians are killing Armenians. Nope, not Boghos. I wonder how many common Armenian names remain.
Hint: I have been told by many that I am very handsome for an Armenian. Even an Assyrian Queen would want to possess me.

Guidlines for interaction with "Ara:"
/cgi-bin/forum/ultim...ic&f=4&t=000124

#36 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 04 November 2001 - 03:47 AM

quote:
The problem is not with me it is with those of you who insist that to be Armenian one has to think and act exactly as you do.

That's a little upside down, "Ara." In reality some of us act and think like Armenians. I hope your state of mind may allow you to see the difference.

#37 khodja

khodja

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 04 November 2001 - 09:16 AM

Martin,

You have distilled the essence of perpetual
Armenian national failure. Who do we need to achieve national success? A Frenchman? an Assyrian? a Jew or Jew converted to Christianity? a Chinese? a Russian? If our history is any guide that would be true. Mayre the best compromise would be an Armenian who is more one of these by mentality than Armenian, due to the influence of their adopted land. Just look at Greece, Israel, and Latvia, who have found successful leadership from the West. Obviously, the home grown ones can't do the job.

#38 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 04 November 2001 - 11:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Thorny Rose:

Yee haaaaaaaaa! Armenian cowboy...

Actually one of my relatives have killed many turkish soldiers but obviously not enough.

#39 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 05 November 2001 - 12:24 AM

OK. I am in the airport, and my flight is slightly delaied, so I can have a little bit more fun with "Ara Geghetsik."

Dear "Hovhanness," first deal with the failurs of your personal life, next treat yourself from the footh-and-mouth desease, then get out of your barabarian "genetic" mode of mind, then you may be positioned to make qualified judgments about Armenian History, and moreover, its future.

[ November 04, 2001: Message edited by: MJ ]

#40 khodja

khodja

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 05 November 2001 - 12:44 AM

Martin,

I am beginning to wonder if your guidelines for dealing with Mustafa posting should guide us on how to deal with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users