#1 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,242 posts

Posted 07 June 2002 - 02:45 PM

KOHAR CONCERT

A standing ovation and thunderous applause, interrupted by shouts of "Bravo, Bravo!" forced the "Kohar" choir and symphonic orchestra of Gyumri, Armenia to several encores as they literally swept a highly appreciative audience off their feet at the single concert in Nicosia on Saturday night.

Armenian music stands out for its beauty, and the concert under the brilliant direction of Cyprus born Sebouh Abcarian did more than mere justice to this rare beauty. It was sheer magic which compelled the audience to stand up in homage for the song "Yerevan Erebouni", a hymn to the ancient history of the Armenian capital.

I heard both the choir and orchestra a year ago, when I lived with them for a week, followed their rehearsals and traveled with them to a number of townships and villages. But even for me, the concert at the Falcon School amphitheater was a revelation. It showed what a dedicated conductor and talented, well trained musicians can achieve. It justified my earlier prediction of "Abcarian triumphant".

The Kohar Ensemble were flown to Cyprus through the generosity of the AAK Group of Beirut who financed it fully so that the entire proceeds would be donated to the Cypriot refugees welfare fund, as a gesture of solidarity between the peoples of Cyprus and the region of Armenia which was devastated by the 1988 earthquake.

The concert was greatly enhanced by the unexpected appearance of actor and mime Hamlet Chobanian (winner of the Lince Festival top prize) who led dancers and soloists on and off stage. These included Raisa Mkrdtchian (twice voted best singer in the former USSR), Chaliapin Prize winner Vahan Makvetsian, opera singer Irina Zakian and well known artists like Samvel Galstian, Laura Nalbandian, Nazan Ghazarian, Artak Krikorian, Hratchouhi Khoumarian and others.

The graceful movements of beautiful women dancers in magnificent national dresses added to the enchantment of the evening. Outstanding were the solo performance of 11 year old violinist Sasha Atanian and kanon virtuoso Anahit Valesian.

The entire concert not only reflected the highest quality of performance and discipline but was also technically impeccable. Three of the items on the Cyprus program were specially arranged by Abcarian for choir and orchestra, while the jewel of the evening "Kohar" is his own composition dedicated to the mother of the sponsoring brothers. She graced the evening with her presence. Originally written for two pianos and orchestra, it had to be modified to quatre mains due to shortage of space on stage.

The remainder of the program included works by Vahan Bedelian (acclaimed as the father of music in Cyprus), Aram Khatchaturian, Parsegh Ganatchian, Hampartsom Berberian and a number of popular and traditional songs, both old and new, rearranged for choir and orchestra.

But if the main part of the concert was a veritable sensation, the encores, including "Pamp Vorodan", "Sardarabad" and two Greek songs, "Karteroume" (We Are Waiting), which has become the anthem of Cypriot refugees forced out of their homes by the 1974 Turkish invasion, and "Ela korou na doume ta mavra sou ta matia" (Come, young girls, let us see your black eyes) brought the house down. Neither had ever been heard sung with such beauty. The Kohar Ensemble will give three concerts in Beirut starting Friday the 7th of June.

By Georges der Parthogh, Nicosia

© Copyright AZG

#2 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 02:23 PM

I just bought yesterday the KOHAR Symphony Orchestra and Choir three CDs and Oh my goodness, the music, the voices are so beautiful. It was the best $35.00 that I have spent.

It's the most wonderful investment you could make for both you and your family people. smile.gif

#3 Ani

Ani

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 09:46 PM

Kohar La Concert

Tickets

Edited by Ani777, 29 September 2007 - 09:47 PM.

#4 gamavor

gamavor

-= Nobility =-

• Nobility
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:00 PM

Yes it is highly recomended! Anyone that can see it won't regret!

#5 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 02:33 PM

http://koharconcert.com/

Edited by Maral, 07 October 2007 - 02:34 PM.

#6 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 07 October 2007 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE(Ani777 @ Sep 29 2007, 08:46 PM)

the tickets at ticketmaster are much chipper...

http://www.ticketmas...p;minorcatid=52

#7 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 12:00 PM

The concert was FABULOUS!
DO NOT MISS IT when they come to where you live wink.gif

#8 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:03 PM

no one else went from Los Angeles? huh.gif

no wonder all the seats weren't full tongue.gif

#9 Ani

Ani

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE(Maral @ Oct 20 2007, 05:03 PM)
no one else went from Los Angeles? huh.gif

no wonder all the seats weren't full tongue.gif

It was on thursday Maral jan...Maybe that's why...smile.gif BTW Armenchik will be sold out as always tongue.gif "Kohar" does not raise adrenalin i guess...

#10 Maral

Maral

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE(Ani777 @ Oct 20 2007, 08:00 PM)
It was on thursday Maral jan...Maybe that's why...smile.gif BTW Armenchik will be sold out as always tongue.gif "Kohar" does not raise adrenalin i guess...

I joked about Armenchik selling out the place when we were there actually smile.gif
there were a lot of people there...
yes it was a bit hard on all of us being in the middle of the week like that,and what made it more difficult was that I drove,scary I know smile.gif I hate freeways,especially if I don't drive on them often,I was a nervous wreck driving there and back...but it was so worth it....the concert was just perfect....everything was perfect....we just didnt' want it to end,it really was impressive....did I mention it was perfect? wink.gif

Edited by Maral, 20 October 2007 - 09:55 PM.

#11 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:24 AM

Here is Gohar. Listen to all 3 CDs including Gamavor's National Anthem Pamp Vorotan and MosJans Nationl Anthem smile.gif And other golden oldies.
http://www.hamovhoto...icland/?cat=148

#12 hagopn

hagopn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 02:54 AM

QUOTE(Arpa @ Oct 26 2007, 08:24 AM)
Here is Gohar. Listen to all 3 CDs including Gamavor's National Anthem Pamp Vorotan and MosJans Nationl Anthem smile.gif And other golden oldies.
http://www.hamovhoto...icland/?cat=148

I went for moral support. It was like attending an old wedding band outing with many volunteer community choir members and the volunteer part time orchestra having a blast, except under the strict supervision of Maestro Abkar the Great. Call it a "supervised and disciplined get together picnic" kind of thing.

Many including my siblings like Akbarian from Melkonian fame as a teacher.

Melik Mavisakalian did the same old, ancient, ancient, ancient, ancient.... ANCIENT arrangements the same way it's been done since Anton Kochinian's days, perhaps since Xavier Cougat slammed his first marimba.

The sound (sound, SPEAKERS, MIXERS, SOUND ENGINEERS, ACCOUSTIC PANELS, STUFF LIKE THAT THERE!) sounded like a high school band concert (i.e. no sound engineering worth the mention).

The orchestra was OUT OF BALANCE and OUT OF TUNE. GOOD LORD.

The choir is a choir is a choir is a choir. Any of the local choirs would have sufficed, but the moral support for Gyumretsi singers is a must. I agree. Yet, I don't have to agree that it was so grand or that there is no room for improvement.

Singing style, classical Europoid Operatico with "lots of Vibrrrrrato" trying to mish mash խեղճ ու կրակ folk tunes.

Guys. Guys, Guys!

Ah, hell. հայկական է, պատուական է, ինչքան ալ անվորակ ըլլայ, մերն է, ու մերը կմնայ:

Բայց չոր հաց ուտելէն, ամրդ ինքը չոր հաց չդարնայ:

However, moral support is one thing. Making people's souls MOVE is another. You can go without cultural vitamins for only so long.

I see the Georgian ensembles putting on shows that seem like a mix between Altounian (in copcat Armenoid music they wish to call "Georgian") and River dance (with the showmanship and up-to-date arrangements and delivery to match.)

I other words, every one else is baking their own bread fresh in the oven, while we are either trying to eat stale bread, or we are forgetting to eat bread and are confusing pakhlava and bubble gum for bread!

Gohar = stale bread

Sirusho = bubble-gum

Artur Grigoryan = cocaine and rogaine infested bubble-gum with mercury based die. (At least the Jerry Curl oily crap is no longer dripping on his concert "Armani" suit.)

Armenchik = badly baked Pakhlava where the baker confused salt for the sugar, salt from the dead bones at Deir-ez-zor. We should call him "Ibrahimchik," or "Kuchuk Ibrahim."

Ruben Hahverdian = your liver can only take as much as my ears can take you. "Tatiki ankoghine chrchrrum e" blah blah... what happens when you mix the Sovietization trend, Leonard Cohen, and lots and lots and lots of vodka.

Artur Meschian = what happens when you mix self-importence, a goat (you can only fit so many vibrations/vibrato cycles in a short note), and a $150 yamaha guitar, albeit supported by good poets.

and so on, and so forth...

Sorry friends, I love you all, even Armen-kuchuk-lar, but, honestly, a culture has to have its own character and a culture has to have the ability to reinvent itself with fresh ardour and excitement. Any culture that doesn't do that is dead.

I speak as a musician who wants the best for Armenians.

#13 Ani

Ani

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE(hagopn @ Oct 26 2007, 01:54 AM)
I went for moral support. It was like attending an old wedding band outing with many volunteer community choir members and the volunteer part time orchestra having a blast, except under the strict supervision of Maestro Abkar the Great. Call it a "supervised and disciplined get together picnic" kind of thing.

Melik Mavisakalian did the same old, ancient, ancient, ancient, ancient.... ANCIENT arrangements the same way it's been done since Anton Kochinian's days, perhaps since Xavier Cougat slammed his first marimba.

The sound (sound, SPEAKERS, MIXERS, SOUND ENGINEERS, ACCOUSTIC PANELS, STUFF LIKE THAT THERE!) sounded like a high school band concert (i.e. no sound engineering worth the mention).

The choir is a choir is a choir is a choir. Any of the local choirs would have sufficed, but the moral support for Gyumretsi singers is a must. I agree. Yet, I don't have to agree that it was so grand or that there is no room for improvement.

Singing style, classical Europoid Operatico with "lots of Vibrrrrrato" trying to mish mash խեղճ ու կրակ folk tunes.

Guys. Guys, Guys!

Ah, hell. հայկական է, պատուական է, ինչքան ալ անվորակ ըլլայ, մերն է, ու մերը կմնայ:

However, moral support is one thing. Making people's souls MOVE is another. You can go without cultural vitamins for only so long.

I see the Georgian ensembles putting on shows that seem like a mix between Altounian (in copcat Armenoid music they wish to call "Georgian") and River dance (with the showmanship and up-to-date arrangements and delivery to match.)

I other words, every one else is baking their own bread fresh in the oven, while we are either trying to eat stale bread, or we are forgetting to eat bread and are confusing pakhlava and bubble gum for bread!

Gohar = stale bread

Sirusho = bubble-gum

Artur Grigoryan = cocaine and rogaine infested bubble-gum with mercury based die. (At least the Jerry Curl oily crap is no longer dripping on his concert "Armani" suit.)

Armenchik = badly baked Pakhlava where the baker confused salt for the sugar, salt from the dead bones at Deir-ez-zor. We should call him "Ibrahimchik," or "Kuchuk Ibrahim."

Ruben Hahverdian = your liver can only take as much as my ears can take you. "Tatiki ankoghine chrchrrum e" blah blah... what happens when you mix the Sovietization trend, Leonard Cohen, and lots and lots and lots of vodka.

Artur Meschian = what happens when you mix self-importence, a goat (you can only fit so many vibrations/vibrato cycles in a short note), and a $150 yamaha guitar, albeit supported by good poets.

Sorry friends, I love you all, even Armen-kuchuk-lar, but, honestly, a culture has to have its own character and a culture has to have the ability to reinvent itself with fresh ardour and excitement. Any culture that doesn't do that is dead.

I am not a musician, but want the best for Aremnians as well...Is there anyone in music industry today that is not a "goat", "Sovietization trend", "Stale bread", etc...? huh.gif

#14 hagopn

hagopn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:38 AM

QUOTE(Ani777 @ Nov 2 2007, 06:21 AM)
I am not a musician, but want the best for Aremnians as well...Is there anyone in music industry today that is not a "goat", "Sovietization trend", "Stale bread", etc...? huh.gif

Oh sure---smile.gif

Hamlet Gevorkyan is really good at that Goosanakan stuff, http://www.altimod.n...n-jeyranes-dues

Ruben Kakobyan (about whom I've posted), http://hyeforum.com/...mp;#entry215026

Sirush"o" tried for a while, but she was discovered as being too much so bubble-gumized. But her "Shorora" is not bad, but she tries too hard to play the "ornamentalist." Maybe she'll get it one day, but she has the innate talent if she wakes up to it.
Here is shorora , but the arrangement is too "popsy-wopsy, Al Jarrreaussiki-tiki.

Nune, when she was normal in the head, was good.

Aida Sargsyan is not bad, not bad at all.

In the "americanized pop" crap genre, we have the dime-a-դիւզենե ջրիկ-մրիկ output, but no դիւզ-բիբեր as of yet.

Some of the middle road stuff comes from that tall guy, the հարիւր տարի chap, http://www.hamovhoto.../videos/?p=1711 Արամո. He's Օ Ք.

#15 Ani

Ani

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE(hagopn @ Nov 1 2007, 11:38 PM)
Oh sure---smile.gif

Hamlet Gevorkyan is really good at that Goosanakan stuff, http://www.altimod.n...n-jeyranes-dues

Ruben Kakobyan (about whom I've posted), http://hyeforum.com/...mp;#entry215026

Sirush"o" tried for a while, but she was discovered as being too much so bubble-gumized. But her "Shorora" is not bad, but she tries too hard to play the "ornamentalist." Maybe she'll get it one day, but she has the innate talent if she wakes up to it.
Here is shorora , but the arrangement is too "popsy-wopsy, Al Jarrreaussiki-tiki.

Nune, when she was normal in the head, was good.

Aida Sargsyan is not bad, not bad at all.

In the "americanized pop" crap genre, we have the dime-a-դիւզենե ջրիկ-մրիկ output, but no դիւզ-բիբեր as of yet.

Some of the middle road stuff comes from that tall guy, the հարիւր տարի chap, http://www.hamovhoto.../videos/?p=1711 Արամո. He's Օ Ք.

Arame...The tall guy...

Aida Sargsyan, who mixes some "lorke" staff with "zhoghovrdakan" sounds is not bad at all and Arthur Meschian is a "goat"...

Aramo...Who tried himself in all janres of music out there...From beat-boxing to jazz, is ok, and Ruben Hakhverdyan is "sovietzazi"...

I really dont understand anything in music than...sad.gif

#16 hagopn

hagopn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:47 AM

And now compare Kohar with this http://www.hamovhoto...m/videos/?p=680

There is no comparison. I don't mean the mediocrity of the music. I mean the delivery! It's professional delivery, although intrinsically boring and drunk out of repetitive mind, just like every Վրացի էշ աւանակ տաւարագլուխ friend I have had.

Մենք աւելի սիրուն մշակութային հիմքերու վրայ նստած ազգ ենք, բայց միշտ ու միշտ խյար և պանիր ենք ծախում:

#17 hagopn

hagopn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE(Ani777 @ Nov 2 2007, 06:45 AM)
Arame...The tall guy...

Aida Sargsyan, who mixes some "lorke" staff with "zhoghovrdakan" sounds is not bad at all and Arthur Meschian is a "goat"...

Aramo...Who tried himself in all janres of music out there...From beat-boxing to jazz, is ok, and Ruben Hakhverdyan is "sovietzazi"...

I really dont understand anything in music than...sad.gif

Αh, this is a debate---smile.gif

#18 Ani

Ani

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:50 AM

QUOTE(hagopn @ Nov 1 2007, 11:47 PM)
And now compare Kohar with this http://www.hamovhoto...m/videos/?p=680

There is no comparison. I don't mean the mediocrity of the music. I mean the delivery! It's professional delivery, although intrinsically boring and drunk out of repetitive mind, just like every Վրացի էշ աւանակ տաւարագլուխ friend I have had.

Մենք աւելի սիրուն մշակութային հիմքերու վրայ նստած ազգ ենք, բայց միշտ ու միշտ խյար և պանիր ենք ծախում:

I wasnt present Kohar's concert, and other than 5 yrs/ of piano classes do not have amy mus. ed., but i was shocked by the description above...

#19 hagopn

hagopn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:52 AM

QUOTE(Ani777 @ Nov 2 2007, 06:50 AM)
I wasnt present Kohar's concert, and other than 5 yrs/ of piano classes do not have amy mus. ed., but i was shocked by the description above...

Don't be shocked. I am sure it sounded good to you. It sounded bad to me, I mean Kohar. The video above is demonstration of professional directorship, professional delivery, up-do-date stage presence, showmanship. sound-stage direction, lighting, ----> Kohar was like flat beer.

Edited by hagopn, 02 November 2007 - 12:57 AM.

#20 Ani

Ani

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:57 AM

QUOTE(hagopn @ Oct 26 2007, 01:54 AM)

Guys. Guys, Guys!

Gohar = stale bread

Sirusho = bubble-gum

THe shocking part wasnot about Kohar, actually...But the post above...But as you said what sounds good to one , maybe sounds "goaty" to another...smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users