Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 06 March 2003 - 12:54 AM

Alpha, what OS do you use?

If you are on XP, you can turn on the Windows firewall that is available inside XP. It is not great but will work against most novice hackers(90% of all hackers are Novice kids)

Just like HaYaStAnRuLeS mentioned ZoneAlarm is the most popular out there and it is not bad. It is actually pretty good. I however use another free one from Sygate. I like it better. It will be more then enough to block you from 99.9% of the idiots out there.

You should also download a spyware application like AdAware and scan your machine for these applications that sit there and send info to the outside world without your permission. They too can be hazardous.

Good luck

#42 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 03:36 PM

But you can't go wrong with that router/gateway idea. A setup like that can block all unwanted incoming packets to your computer ... before they GET to your computer

By the way, if you keep up with the periodic security patches in "Windows Update", your PC will be fairly safe. Unless you are running some sort of server on it, just by setting up things correctly in windows you can be in good shape.

This means not having trivial admin passwords, not sharing any disks, and not running any servers (ftp), etc.

#43 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 07:38 PM

Something that nobody has mentioned yet: You will definitely want to make sure you have a good anti-virus installed, and keep your definitions up-to-date. I use Norton Anti-Virus, and the update feature is pretty transparent and keeps you protected. On the other hand, I've had rotten experiences with their (Norton) firewall. Currently, I'm running ZoneAlarm pro, and I find that it's just fine for my needs (I also have a cheapo Linksys router - which works great! It even allows you to forward ports if you access your machine remotely, very handy!) The router+software firewall combination is a sure bet.

As Sip said - keep up to date on all microsoft patches & critical updates.

One final note: You can install firewalls, spyware and all these protection tools up the wazoo - BUT - YOU are still the user, and if the user ignores the warnings from the above mentioned tools (like my girlfriend, for instance), and opens that mysterious email attachment - well, there's nothing left to protect you. Good luck!

Also you may want to go to Steve Gibson's Internet security site.

Click on "Shields up!" to test your firewall.

[ March 05, 2003, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: vava ]

#44 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 07:26 AM

Got introduced to Arachnophilia today.

http://www.arachnoid.../arachnophilia/

I liked it because it provides you the coding first and is not WYSIWYG. And it colours its tags, so that puts it a bit above conventional pads. From what little exposure I had to it, though, it doesn't have a "find and replace" feature (or maybe its shortcut key is different).

Also, I'm not sure if I've got it from here (probably not), but - TopStyle Lite is an awesome stylesheet editor. Allows you to preview there and then what you're going to come up with.

For the benefit of the public.

#45 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 05:59 AM

Well, seeing Vava likes dogs, I thought this might interest him:

http://www.simtel.ne.../pd/63537.shtml

There's one for cat-lovers as well:

http://www.simtel.ne.../pd/63421.shtml

Not something that comes in handy, but... :D

BTW, any chances of changing this:

:war:

to that one Vava had posted? :D

#46 Stormig

Stormig

Still water runs deep...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 13 April 2003 - 09:33 AM

I thought I would share this with you guys. Very cool. (From eDevCafe newsletter.)

Featured Download----------------------------------------------------

Bookmark Wizard is freeware software that generates a HTML page with
all/selected links from your Internet Favorites folder. The links in
the resulting page are grouped and sorted in ascending order like
they are in your Favorites folder. The resulting web page can be used
as a links page on your homepage or you can send it to a friend.

Download: http://www.moonsoftw...le.asp?bmwizard

#47 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 06:01 PM

ASFRecorder

WOW! It's a very niftey little utility that lets you capture streaming video (ASF, WMA, WMV) off the web!!!! And it's FREE :thumbup:

And the source code is included :punk:

#48 Dan

Dan

Banned. Never to Return.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 06:46 PM

Man, where do you guys get those links from?! :lol:

That utility - cool stuff, Sip. :D

#49 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2003 - 09:01 PM

I am surprised that this free software was not mentioned. Its the best software ever, the code source is not open Seaphan, but who cares ? :) Download it here.

#50 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 10:32 PM

I am surprised that this free software was not mentioned. Its the best software ever, the code source is not open Seaphan, but who cares ? :) Download it here.

I highly recommend you use KazaaLite instead of Kazaa. It's the same as Kazaa minus the annoying popups and the stupid spyware.

---
Edit: 3/26/2006 ... this post is waaaay too old ... don't use Kazaa. :D

Edited by Sip, 26 March 2006 - 02:54 PM.

#51 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2003 - 07:37 PM

For the mac nostalgics, here a way to remember the old days.

winmac is a freeware that will give your windows a mac look. You can download it here.

For the real MAC nostalgics, there is some emulators out there that are free that will emulate MACs, the problem is that there is no avelable that emmulate PPC, they will emulate the 68040 at best, but will on fast computers they beat by multiples hthose 68040 MACs, actually some benchmarks I have run beats my 68040 Mac, by more then 3 times. But since those emulators are limited with the 68k chips, they can only run at best the MacOS 8.X, because 9 and X require PPC. Many promesses have been made by some compagnies to bring a PPC emulators but the promesses were never kept, from what many says it is a very difficult task to do.

Well, here is probably the best emulator I know of is Basilisk II , you can have every infos needed here

There is softmac as well, but I have not tried the new upgrade, I have some difficulties making the sound card work(I realised after, sound was even not supported) with the version I was using and it is more buggy then the other.

Oh, of course to use such programs you will be needing a MAC ROM image, not a PPC image, it won't run, you will be needing those from a 680x0 Mac... if you can't find any and you are still interested to make run a mac, just PM me and I am sure we can find a way. ;)

I will be searching from some Linux nerdos some trials of PPC emulators, but I think I will have no success, because be it Linux or Windows, the problem of the emulation lies on the fact that all the commands should be made in a way to run it on a x86 computer... I don't know more then that, I'll lets Seaphan to be more precise on that. :)

Edited by Fadi, 02 May 2003 - 07:42 PM.

#52 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 07:40 PM

Why on earth would anyone want to emulate a MAC? you will be left with the limitations and restrictions of MAC's "user friendly" interfaces with the instability and design flaws of a windows-based PC! Worst of both worlds :P :D

#53 Guest_Fadi_*

Guest_Fadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2003 - 07:46 PM

LOL Seaphan, actually, it has a lots of adventages for me, on one computer I run Linux, MacOS and Windows XP, Basilisk II is a very stable platform when installed on Windows XP...

And as well playing those old Mac games, and working on my old hypercards, that were the old good times. Remember Vava. :)

#54 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 07:12 AM

LOL Seaphan, actually, it has a lots of adventages for me, on one computer I run Linux, MacOS and Windows XP, Basilisk II is a very stable platform when installed on Windows XP...

And as well playing those old Mac games, and working on my old hypercards, that were the old good times. Remember Vava. :)

Yes I certainly do... and don't forget the wonderful world of AppleScripting :lol:

#55 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 11:05 PM

Google Toolbar - http://toolbar.google.com/
Description from site - The new Google Toolbar increases your ability to find information from anywhere on the web and takes only seconds to install.

Google has done it again. I love the tools that they have and not they have a new version of the toolbar available.

It is in Beta so install at your own risk

http://toolbar.google.com/install-beta

It integrates few new features including an Form Auto Fill and popup killer and couple of others

#56 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 11:44 PM

http://www.tcfb.com/...ooks/index.html

Free Computer books

#57 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 11:46 PM

BTW: You can now use Google to solve Math problems.

Calculator

To use Google's built-in calculator function, simply enter the expression you'd like evaluated in the search box and hit the Enter key or click the Google Search button. The calculator can evaluate mathematical expressions involving basic arithmetic (5+2*2 or 2^20), more complicated math (sine(30 degrees) or e^(i pi)+1), units of measure and conversions (100 miles in kilometers or 160 pounds * 4000 feet in Calories), and physical constants (1 a.u./c or G*mass of earth/radius of earth^2). You can also experiment with other numbering systems, including hexadecimal and binary.

These sample queries demonstrate the utility and power of this new feature:

56*78
half a cup in teaspoons
(G * mass of earth) / (radius of earth ^ 2)
1.21 GW / 88 mph

#58 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 11:58 AM

Microsoft Virtual PC is a powerful software virtualization solution that allows you to run multiple PC-based operating systems simultaneously on one workstation, providing a safety net to maintain compatibility with legacy applications while you migrate to a new operating system. It also saves reconfiguration time, so your support, development, and training staff can work more efficiently.

Microsoft will release Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 late in calendar year 2003. In the meantime, a 45-day free trial of the Connectix Virtual PC for Windows version 5, now from Microsoft, can be downloaded for evaluation purposes.

Please use the following serial number when installing the Virtual PC for Windows Trial Version: VPT5-1181-2302-9277-6447 -- This serial number will expire on September 27, 2003

Download: Beta News

#59 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 01:16 AM

I just found this great tool from a friend. For those who travel alot this is a great tool to help you find the best deals out there

http://www.travelaxe.net

#60 DominO

DominO

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,455 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 07:45 PM

It is impressive all the options it has.

http://www.blender3d.com

All that in a little 2mb. Of course nothing to be compared with maya, but for a free program it's nice.

Just one problem, is that since it is free, the general public should be able to use it without having to buy the book and learn it for weeks... but for basic things, I have been playing with it a little bit, and managed to do some stuff... but since it isen't the first time I played with 3d programs it was easy to learn the basics... but passing that... ergh...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users