#1 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 31 January 2004 - 04:36 PM

In another post (Mythology) we saw how astrology, a pseudoscience was primarily practiced in eastern and southern civilizations such as Assyria, Babylonia and Egypt among others, while the hellenistic civilizations rather practiced the science of astronomy.

I was leafing through a Journal of Armenian Studies, a publication of NAASR, I came across an article by Elma Parsamian titled Armenia and the Origin of Astronomy.
No wonder Byurakan is such a world renown center.
I also found the article on the internet.

http://www.iatp.am/r...ew/pars-eng.htm

I pasted the following paragraph. You can see the entire article at the above site.

I'll be!!!

I tried to look up the Armenian names of the planets. Guess what? My source goes Mercury=Mergur, Venus=Venera ... etc.

Who can name all nine planets and their Armenian names?
Btw. The Armenian word for planet is molorak/wanderer. Why?

Maunder (1906), investigating the question of the origin of the constellations, wrote:
"People, who divided the sky into constellations, most probably lived between 36 and 42 degrees of the northern latitude, so neither Egypt nor Babylon could be the motherland of creation of constellations. Calculating in what place the centre of this empty region coincides with the North Pole, we got the figure 2800 BC, which is probably the date during which the naming of the constellations were completed. It was observed that such animals as the elephant, camel, hippopotamus, crocodile and tiger were not amongst the figures representing the constellations, therefore we, can assert India, Arabia and Egypt could not have been the place where the idea of firmament originated.
We can exclude Greece, Italy and Spain on the basis of the fact that the figure of tiger is present in the figures of constellations
Thus purely by logical thinking we can assert that the motherland of celestial figures must be Minor Asia and Armenia, that is to say a region limited by the Black, the Mediterranean, the Caspian and the Aegean Seas..."
The above statements had to be confirmed
The discoveries made during the last decades in Armenia. have enriched our knowledge of the ancient civilisation and ancient astronomy in this region.

#2 hytga

hytga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Interests:computers

Posted 11 March 2004 - 02:35 PM

there've been recent findings in metzamor related to astronomy. They discovered a group of stones similar to english "hengsonte" but alot older than the one in england

#3 Error 404

Error 404

ERROR 404

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:11 PM

http://www.armrockart.nt.am

Here you go. By the ways its real slow. I have contacted the president of the project and offered him a favor (web space on a fast server and help with the design of the sites). No answer yet. I would like to volunteer with them. Its a great project, we have a lot of things to study and to show the world .

#4 tigranisbasileus

tigranisbasileus

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:48 PM

Yes just like philosophy! wink.gif

#5 Mihr

Mihr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:creating stories, culture, animation, Asia, kung fu

Posted 22 December 2006 - 05:38 AM

i would like these research to develop and expand

i have the book of Paris Herouni, the man who is studying the Astronomical stones in Armenia : Armenians and old Armenia.

last summer I asked them a confirmation about the dating of the stones, which sound like 5500 BC (according to M. Herouni)

no answer until now....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users