ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts
  • Interests:literature

Posted 01 June 2001 - 05:53 AM

OR: THAT WHICH SAROYAN REFUSED TO SEE
Saroyan introduced Armenians to the world and he was smart enough to know that when you do the introductions in a social setting you are not under oath; you don’t need to say "This is my cousin, Jack S. Avanakian who happens to be a damn fool!" What you say instead is: "My cousin Jack."
Saroyan himself was willing to concede that his Armenian characters in his books are "stylized" – a euphemism for distorted to fit a specific image or worldview. And to Saroyan the world was a wonderful place populated by wonderful people
As for the dark side of life: he let others handle that aspect of reality. And others did, among them our own writers, among them the 5th century historian Yeghishe, who said: "If a nation is ruled by two kings, both the kings and their subjects will perish." Gentle reader, imagine if you can a nation ruled by five mini-sultans, fifty phony padishas and five hundred fat-bellied *****s. On second thought, no need to imagine anything: just take a look around yourself.

#2 nairakev

nairakev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 01 June 2001 - 12:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ara baliozian:
OR: THAT WHICH SAROYAN REFUSED TO SEE
Saroyan introduced Armenians to the world and he was smart enough to know that when you do the introductions in a social setting you are not under oath; you don’t need to say "This is my cousin, Jack S. Avanakian who happens to be a damn fool!" What you say instead is: "My cousin Jack."
Saroyan himself was willing to concede that his Armenian characters in his books are "stylized" – a euphemism for distorted to fit a specific image or worldview. And to Saroyan the world was a wonderful place populated by wonderful people
As for the dark side of life: he let others handle that aspect of reality. And others did, among them our own writers, among them the 5th century historian Yeghishe, who said: "If a nation is ruled by two kings, both the kings and their subjects will perish." Gentle reader, imagine if you can a nation ruled by five mini-sultans, fifty phony padishas and five hundred fat-bellied *****s. On second thought, no need to imagine anything: just take a look around yourself.

Ara Baliozian,
I liked what you said. That rocks. I have a doubt about one line, like this one "Saroyan introduced Armenians to the world"

Don't you thing that sometimes those who "INTRODUCE", should care also about introducing others...
May be, because of this natural "human" dilema, that we don't have that many serious "introducer"-s.

#3 Berj

Berj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Almost everything

Posted 02 June 2001 - 06:01 AM

Mr. Baliozian,

How do you introduce Armenians to the world?

Thank you

#4 Berj

Berj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:Almost everything

Posted 02 June 2001 - 06:04 AM

Or maybe you introduce Armenians to themselves?

#5 ara baliozian

ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 06:32 AM

you introduce armenians to the world by giving them a human face; until saroyan, armenians were known as starving victims of turkish atrocities...
as for introducing armenians to themselves: i have been trying to do that without much success, alas! / ara

#6 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts
  • Interests:Theology, Tennis, Jazz, Modern Art, Red Wine

Posted 02 June 2001 - 11:56 PM

quote:
until saroyan, armenians were known as starving victims of turkish atrocities...

Dear Ara,

Let me disagree with you, please, in this. Hardly any significant number of non Armenians has read Saroyan, or has even heard his name. Saroyan is not Hemingway, and not even Scott Fitzgerald. Perhaps, at best, he has introduced Armenians to Armenian Diaspora, and has portrayed an image beyond that of "starving Armenians" to the Armenians themselves.

In my view, Armenia(ns) was(were) introduced to the world as a result of two things:
1. Karabagh (being the first movement in the USSR over which the Kremlin has lost its control);
2. Earthquake (due to the fact that chronologically it has overlapped with the visit of Gorbachev to the UN Assembly, which was being highly publicised).

[ June 02, 2001: Message edited by: MJ ]

#7 nairakev

nairakev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 12:53 PM

I can't diasgree with you, MJ!
Actually, this relationship looses its charm.
I do agree with you, MJ!

#8 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 01:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by naira:
I do agree with you, MJ!

Don't let it threaten you.

#9 nairakev

nairakev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 05:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MJ:

Don't let it threaten you.

Oh, you are such a "nasty kid", MJ!
Oops: "...that was the first threatening..."

Do you see what I'm going through? Some SM stuff relationship? But I do resist... I don't know for how long... Don't worry, honeybunny!
I won't let it threaten me! Promise!

#10 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 05:23 PM

What does SM stand for?

#11 nairakev

nairakev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 06:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MJ:
What does SM stand for?

Log on private, kid!
I can't explain it in public!

#12 MJ

MJ

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 06:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by naira:
Log on private, kid!
I can't explain it in public!

I am underaged.

#13 nairakev

nairakev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 07:19 PM

Do you think that SM is for underaged?
Hm, poor boy! Log off from private talk then!

[ June 02, 2001: Message edited by: naira ]

#14 dragon

dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 09:51 PM

Do you believe this???

A shiny day I was sitting in my balcony and reading local papers, I came across to an article, which was about a kiwi painter, living in Northland, far away from Auckland about 4 hours, named Toki Aram... I got excited more and more, by looking at his picture on the paper and some of his works. He was nice looking face, white hair, deep smile. I couldn't hold my breath, I jumped on my telephone and dialed the number that was on the paper.
A very friendly sound answered me. Yes, He was Toki Aram! I started asking him questions and got these answers.-
Irish in origin, Aram is his artistic name, he is using it just to keep his promise to armenian couple from Australia, who helped him to sell his works in an exhibition, under one condition: You must sign the name Aram, as a rememberence of one of armenian International writer's, Saroyan's, who have a book named ''My name is Aram'', and you are looks like that guy...

Toki Aram finished his story telling me that he has already read all the works of Saroyan and he knows lots of thing about Armenians...
I was surprised, he was surprised and we became a very close frinds on line. Almost every week he was calling me just to read his new poetry to me, or to tell me something new about his novel. After several months he came to Auckland to see me. We had great time together. He is my best friend now, although he is in 60's.
Now I'm trying to visit him in his place, where people can only ride horse, watch the whales and eat from their garden... Interesting, isn't it?

This is what can Saroyan still do!
--------------------------------
Dragon

P.S.Hope you understand my English

#15 nairakev

nairakev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 June 2001 - 03:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dragon:

P.S.Hope you understand my English

Can't be better explained, Dragon! Touching story...

#16 ara baliozian

ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 03 June 2001 - 06:48 AM

about saroyan:
in the 1950s saroyan was translated into all the major languages of the world: in greece i read him in greek, in italy i read him in italian; even the existentialists in france were his fans..../ ara

#17 nairakev

nairakev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 June 2001 - 06:53 AM

quote:
about saroyan:
in the 1950s saroyan was translated into all the major languages of the world: in greece i read him in greek, in italy i read him in italian; even the existentialists in france were his fans..../ ara

Yeah, I agree!
Where is he now, Saroyan? Condemned to remain an anonymous intellectual? Today he could help. May be one day he will return. I don't exclude this possibility. Human litarature knows many examples, when an ancient writer became recognised as a phenomenon and genious centuries later after his death.

But again, the question will be, where is he, Saroyan, today, the one who was well-knwon when he was alive.
Don't you think that the answer should be diged out from a deeper root than just his armenian origins.

[ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: naira ]

#18 ara baliozian

ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 03 June 2001 - 07:03 AM

many writers are popular when they are alive and forgotten... or almost... after they die...
in france you have the example of Anatole France and to some extent even Sartre...who is far less popular today than when he was alive...literary fortunes and popularity are "sometime things..." / ara

#19 nairakev

nairakev

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 June 2001 - 07:11 AM

quote:
many writers are popular when they are alive and forgotten... or almost... after they die...
in france you have the example of Anatole France and to some extent even Sartre...who is far less popular today than when he was alive...literary fortunes and popularity are "sometime things..." / ara

Ara,
sweet heart!
You are missing something. We are not talking about dead people.
Besides, I live in France. I won't say that Anatole France is forgotten here. In bookinist environment he still has his fans. Talking about Sartre, he is present in evryday's French life. Cinema, Television, Print media, CD-ROMs, scetches, anecdotes.
This is how ends up a strong personality.
Though his rediculous physical appeareance Sartre stays a modern countryman for many French and non-French "average" citizens.
Sartre is a thinker and visionary as well. Folks like him never disappear, without being beaten by someone or something stronger.
I hope you understood my point.
---
P.S.
It's kind of a nice to have you arround.
Looks like you quit feeling alone.
Nice to see you, Maestro!

[ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: naira ]

#20 ara baliozian

ara baliozian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 03 June 2001 - 09:49 AM

in that sense saroyan is also alive and well too... the critical fire that has been directed against sartre has been so strong and almost unanimous that he is no longer an influence...ditto for anatole france...their names are around yes, but their influence has plunged...by the way, i am a fan of both writers.../ara

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users