42 replies to this topic

#1 vava

vava

:yawn:

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 06:53 AM

OK - I'm not much of a plubmer and don't know too much about plumbing problems.... but I'm pretty good with my hands and can usually figure stuff out...

I was trying to unclog my bathroom sink drain. I plunged after blocking-off the other outlets on the system - the plunging usually works, but not this time. My building was built around the turn of the century, so the plumbing is a bit dodgy (and I definately CAN'T use chemicals...) so I went and purchased a small plumbers auger and went back at it.

I have cleared the drain (water runs freely now) BUT I can't get my auger back out. It's stuck in the drain! Pissed me off.... mad.gif

So any of you do it yourselfers have a suggestion on how to get it out?
  • onjig likes this

#2 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 11:05 AM

Vava jan,sorry about your problem.Here what I found
Insert the guide tube with the curve facing the direction of the drain. Some bowls drain to the front and some drain to the rear.
Crank the auger in one direction until is becomes tight then crank in the other direction. Repeat this until the auger is in as far as it will go.
Crank the auger to clear the obstruction.
Pull the guide tube out of the toilet. If it gets stuck push and pull gently or turn a crank back and forth while gently pulling up. Do not force the auger or you may break the toilet bowl. Repeat the process using the plunger.
If the water seems to be properly draining, go ahead and try flushing the toilet

Also in my simple thinking I also think some kind of oil may help sliding it out.I am thinking corn oil biggrin.gif It is safe since it is not a petro base.I would heat the oil little and pure in the hole and after five min gently start pulling and pushing the auger.
get back.good luck
  • onjig likes this

#3 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 11:28 AM

Ok - that sounds fine... BUT by the mention of a guide tube, it may be it's a 'closet auger' its referring to - mine doesn't have a guide tube... mind you, they all work about the same. I have tried the 'gently push and pull' part. I have tried the 'not-gentle-at-all push and pull' technique. I have a felling that I cranked the auger too much, and it has twisted into a knot. rolleyes.gif dontgetit.gif I think I may have to cut some pipes. sad.gif

#4 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 11:30 AM

I haven't tried a lubricant yet - but will tonight. I figure by the lenth remaining, that it's stuck about 4' or 5' inside the drainpipe... I'm not sure if the lube will make it that far.

#5 gurgen

gurgen

You talking to me?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  • Interests:tennis, chess, football (the real one), games

Posted 04 February 2004 - 12:08 PM

All I can say is good luck.

I know these kind of problems can be annoying as hell.
I remember when our toilet flooded because of excessive shower bahaviour laugh.gif

#6 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 12:23 PM

Vava before cutting any pipes.Few things to think about.How would you know exactly where to cut?
and if your attempt was not correct you must cut yet again.
I would consider calling a plumber and getting an estimate on the cost of removing the damm thing and see which way is cheaper.Consider that you have to replace the pipes $$ and time wasted fixing it.
Try the lube first it may work.

#7 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 12:30 PM

Now that I think about it more the oil will work for sure.Just let it stay there 30 min.Heated oil travels fast.

#8 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 02:09 PM

I'll give it a try tonight when I get home - I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW, i figure a plumber will first pull at it, and once it breaks ('cause I firgure that's what's gonna happen when you pull too hard) the plumber is going to cut the pipe. Not so bad in the end, if you cut after the wall tube - chances are it's caught somewhere on the other side of the trap - but that's a guess. ohmy.gif

#9 bellthecat

bellthecat

A poor kitty, lost in the rain.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Interests:mreowing purring snuggling sleeping

Posted 04 February 2004 - 02:39 PM

An auger?? Isn't that a big, hairy monster that lives in a cave and tears people limb from limb. If you've stuffed one of them down your sink, it's not surprising it got stuck! smile.gif tongue.gif

#10 gevo27

gevo27

Its one of the most beautiful sights... now i have to go see it.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 02:41 PM

If your auger is stuck the oil will do very little...

Only way for the auger to get stuck would be it aomehow turned up a long elbow curve, or as u said has twisted in a knott, the knott will a pain, im not sure how to get it out.. But for either situation, just pull hard and turn it the countercloskwise direction (or the opposite direction in which you inserted it)..

Really there is no magic way to do it.. Just t\dont be afrid to pull it, if u think lubricant might work, then by all means i guess its better than nothing..

Calling a plumber will result in a big expense, unless its a friend or something, i gaurantee they will take advantage of the situation, and show you that they are doing more work than they really are.. LOL... Unless you seriously have to cut some pipe,, they will overcharge you for pulling it out themselves..

btw, do you have a crawlspace under your hous or is it slab? or is it a second floor? or apartment? thos will affect the situation...

Iv done my share of plumbing btw wink.gif but i like to construct it not maintain LOL..

#11 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (bellthecat @ Feb 4 2004, 03:39 PM)
An auger?? Isn't that a big, hairy monster that lives in a cave and tears people limb from limb. If you've stuffed one of them down your sink, it's not surprising it got stuck! smile.gif tongue.gif

LOL - He's pretty nasty, that Ogre... mad.gif ;P

#12 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 08:54 PM

clap.gif clap.gif smile.gif I yanked, and I jerked, and then I yanked like there was no tomorrow. And I pulled the stubborn auger out of the trap. smile.gif Ahhhh... finally!

BTW - thanks guys for the tips!

#13 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 08:59 PM

Great!! band.gif wine.gif

#14 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 09:05 PM

Oh, and I must add, that at the end, I found a large twisted heap of metal that resembled a tank barrier (but it was made of bobby pins!) someone's gonna get it mad.gif tongue.gif

#15 angel4hope

angel4hope

look at me...i can fly!...sploosh!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Interests:too many to list... btw i love eye candy! therefore my addiction, and hence my diabetes :(

Posted 04 February 2004 - 09:09 PM

SOMEBODY CALL THE PLUMBER.....!!!

sorry. but am i overreacting???? lol

#16 gevo27

gevo27

Its one of the most beautiful sights... now i have to go see it.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE (vava @ Feb 4 2004, 08:54 PM)
clap.gif clap.gif smile.gif I yanked, and I jerked, and then I yanked like there was no tomorrow. And I pulled the stubborn auger out of the trap. smile.gif Ahhhh... finally!

BTW - thanks guys for the tips!

Well, good thing you didnt call the plumber, you woulda yanked and pulled like there was no tommarrow all thos dollor bills right outta your pocket !!! LOL..
LETS JUST AL BOYCOT THE PLUMBERS! WHOS WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!

NO!?? oh well i tried.. LOL

#17 gurgen

gurgen

You talking to me?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  • Interests:tennis, chess, football (the real one), games

Posted 05 February 2004 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (angel4hope @ Feb 4 2004, 09:09 PM)
SOMEBODY CALL THE PLUMBER.....!!!

sorry. but am i overreacting???? lol

We men prefer to handle such thing ourselves Angel jan. It hurts our pride to call for help biggrin.gif

#18 Azat

Azat

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts
  • Interests:wine, beer, food, art, jokes

Posted 05 February 2004 - 10:31 AM

No me. I have no problem calling someone else to fight with SH&@. if you enjoy doing that that is your personal issue. smile.gif

Vava jan, when I read the title of this thread I thought I was going to come here and give you a warning. smile.gif

#19 vava

vava

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (Azat @ Feb 5 2004, 11:31 AM)
Vava jan, when I read the title of this thread I thought I was going to come here and give you a warning. smile.gif

LMAO laugh.gif biggrin.gif And I probably would have deserved it.

#20 ExtraHye

ExtraHye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts
  • Location:In a world with happy people who like to play all day

Posted 05 February 2004 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (Azat @ Feb 5 2004, 10:31 AM)

Why Azatik, what was on your mind... ohmy.gif wink.gif
  • onjig likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users