- - - - -

Need some explanations on rabiz music...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2000 - 05:57 PM

Hi guys,
I am always confused when it comes to rabiz music. I know some may not like talking about rabiz and I must admit I don't like the rabiz "phenomenon" (except SOME of the music), but I always wanted to have an open discussion about it.
First, I would like to know how is rabiz manifested in music. I mean does rabiz music=pop music? How do you determin if a song or singer is rabiz or not.
Secondly, I would like to know who was the first singer who sang rabiz songs and published it on an album. (Some people told me that the first rabiz singer who published an album was Alik Guneshian followed by Aram Asatrian). I don't know if you're familiar with Alik but he has the same style as Aram. My dad has a 1932 recording (tape) of Alik and I must say, his style hasn't changed since then. Then, in 1988-1989, the first Aram Asatrian album (tape & video) appeared.
So, I am waiting for comments.

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2000 - 04:19 PM

Guys?
What's happening, how come no one's answering?

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2000 - 12:31 AM

Hayesdu jan,
Armenians are busy people, so when you post be patient and wait for the answers

I think that the first thing that separates the rabiz from non-rabiz is the MELODY. If you have some basic solfejio knowledge, you can separate the Indo-European octave system in Armenian music. This octave system makes the first and basic level of Armenian music and it is originally Armenian because the songs where created not on the piano but on duduk, shvi, zourna etc. These instruments don't have all the notes of piano octave, because they are created form special kindof wood.For example duduk is being mostly made from the apricot tree. Now, there are groups of dances and songs which have the same octave system, though they sound different. For example all the Kochari set of dances like Shurjpar, Yarkhusht, Msho or Sasna gorani, Berdpar etc. have the same indo-european octave system of sounds. A clear examples of this group is Harout Pamboukjian's "Ninar" or Nune's "Hay Noubar", "Vay Nare", "Mush Sasun". The only people that can claim the Kochari sounds and rithm as their's except Armenians, are Persians and Kurds, though in Armenian, Kurdish and Persian versions it is different. The other thing that separates Kochari group from rabiz is that you must not use arabic "moukgham" in it. Though some Armenian singers use it but it is illegal . It makes it sound somewhat arabic. So,KHOCHARI IS NOT RABIZ AT ALL.
The other major group is Ververi, Shalakho, Kintari and all the marrige party dances. I know they play everything now, but the traditional ones are the ones when they go to bring the bride from her house,when the bride and groom enter the party place,when she dances alone "Harsi par" etc. None of these are rabiz too.Kintari, Shalakho originated in Northern Armenian and Georgia's Armenian community so they have Georgian names but the sounds, words and rithm are Armenian.
The other group are the songs of Armenian bards like Sayat-Nova and all the ashugs and gusans of 17-th, 18-th and 19-th century. None of them is rabiz.
BUT, you can make every Armenian song sound rabiz by adding arabic "moukgham" flavour in it. So for traditional songs it is how they sing it. For example there is nothing rabiz in Nune's songs.
A pure example of rabiz is Aram Asatrian's "Sev, sev acher", which was originally turkish "Kara gioz' lar". The rithm of that song is Armenian or Kurdish or Persian, the melody is clearly kurdish and some parts of the song have central asian sounds in their octave system. So much for now.

Chka kizi nman, chka kizi nman
Kiz nman,kiz nman, dun is annman
Arayzhm

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2000 - 12:24 PM

Pah!! Zarmatsatsem mnatsel, Armen, bavakanin lav gitelikneri teres yerazhshtutyan asparezum

My hat's off to you

Gayane

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2000 - 08:22 PM

You can leave your hat on!
Jonig Kokeryan

P.s. Kneres Gayane jan chkaratsa dimanam.

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2000 - 06:05 PM

Man, I hate doing this (trying to correct people although I'm not sure).
Berj jan!
I found the turkish version of "Sev sev acher". It is called "Haydi soyle" and sung by Ibrahim Tatlises. You can also try another Armenian version of it called "Orer, orer" by Pashik Poghosian on his new album called "Kapuyt acher".
Later,

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2000 - 08:44 PM

Hayesdu jan,

My friend has an Azeri version of "Sev, sev.." and it's really "Kara gyoz' lar" but I don't know who sings. This is why I thought it's turkish. Anyway, it's not Armenian.
Take care

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users