Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts
  • Interests:Art, Yoga, Spirituality

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (THOTH @ Jan 13 2005, 07:10 PM)
Just as an aside - both our children were baptised into the Swedenborgian Church BTW...

http://www.wayfarerschapel.org/

I just checked the link, Swedenborg too makes a lot of sense to me, after reading the summary of Swedenborgianism. He was a scientist originally and became spiritual and went further ahead in knowledge applying scientific approach in his studies of the Bible. That's a commendable approach, one can never fail with independent study of the Bible, rather than adopting the doctrines shaped out by the official institution of church.

Edited by Sasun, 21 January 2005 - 08:31 PM.

#42 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:24 PM

I know some Muslims like to see scientific predictions in the Quran. Trouble is that they only see these predictions long after they have happened. In other words, they read into the Quran what they know rather than what people knew when the Quran was written. The same applies to literature in general. No one can know what was in the head of the author. One can only speculate, sometimes with strong evidence, most of the time without.

#43 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (SIP @ Jan 12 2005, 11:24 AM)
"We are all the same" ... "we need to remember as opposed to learn" ... etc .. these are far more trivializing and degrading than anything I have said.

I really tried to understand this, but could not.
Sasun, one thing you have said at some point that I am starting to agre with. If I remember correctly, it was something like "God is within all of us". Except I would rephrase it as "the creator" is within all of us. Our brains are the real creators here.

There is truth in what you are saying.

#44 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (nairi @ Jan 21 2005, 09:24 PM)
I know some Muslims like to see scientific predictions in the Quran. Trouble is that they only see these predictions long after they have happened. In other words, they read into the Quran what they know rather than what people knew when the Quran was written. The same applies to literature in general. No one can know what was in the head of the author. One can only speculate, sometimes with strong evidence, most of the time without.

I must point out, that is not what I meant by scientific. What I meant is, a scientist knows how to study things, how to be unbiased, reasonable, rational, dispationate.

#45 nairi

nairi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:36 PM

If I go by your definition of scientific then literary analysis is the last on the list of sciences, if it belongs there at all. I see religious texts, such as the Bible and Quran, the same way as I see Allen Ginsberg and Hovhannes Tumanian. As literature. Nothing more, nothing less. There is nothing unbiased about reading a literary text.

#46 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:51 PM

Hey you guys!!
I have not read every item in this thread, I can think of better conversations, like with Verdi and Beethoven, at least they respond with sound and audio, but judging from this subject topic it seems like some people are having a tete a tete with God, just like Moshe did on Mount Sinai.
You know me. I am a cyberklutz as well as a klutz when it comes to electronics.
Would somebody do us a huge favor and record the next session. I know it would be too much to ask for a video recording. How about an audio? I have not heard God's voice in a long time. I don't even remember if he speaks with basso voice, tenor, alto or even soprano.

How about you sip? Our resident geek smile.gif smile.gif

#47 Armen

Armen

Veterinarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (Arpa @ Jan 21 2005, 08:51 PM)
I have not heard God's voice in a long time.

OK you'll be hearing it now. Take a sit in your armchair, relax and close your eyes, sweety. Now collect all your soul power dear. Ready? Here we go:

GOD: "ARPAAAA, GO SCREW YOURSELF AND THEN DRAWN YOURSELF IN THE RIVERS OF BABILON. THANK YOU ARPAAAA". Over

Happy? biggrin.gif

#48 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (nairi @ Jan 21 2005, 09:36 PM)
If I go by your definition of scientific then literary analysis is the last on the list of sciences, if it belongs there at all. I see religious texts, such as the Bible and Quran, the same way as I see Allen Ginsberg and Hovhannes Tumanian. As literature. Nothing more, nothing less. There is nothing unbiased about reading a literary text.

Nairi jan, it is not my definition. I have studied science and that's what I have learned. I do agree, reading literature is not science at all.

#49 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 22 January 2005 - 02:10 AM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Jan 21 2005, 05:35 PM)
What is the URL Anoushik, I would like the check it out. Thanks.

Oops, I forgot to give the link. Here it is: http://www.cwg.org/
I just googled his name smile.gif

#50 Nané

Nané

Նանե

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 02:14 AM

QUOTE (Arpa @ Jan 21 2005, 06:51 PM)
Hey you guys!!
I have not read every item in this thread, I can think of better conversations, like with Verdi and Beethoven, at least they respond with sound and audio, but judging from this subject topic it seems like some people are having a tete a tete with God, just like Moshe did on Mount Sinai.
You know me. I am a cyberklutz as well as a klutz when it comes to electronics.
Would somebody do us a huge favor and record the next session. I know it would be too much to ask for a video recording. How about an audio? I have not heard God's voice in a long time. I don't even remember if he speaks with basso voice, tenor, alto or even soprano.

Arpa, cynicism is NOT the answer to everything.

#51 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 03:07 AM

QUOTE (Arpa @ Jan 21 2005, 08:51 PM)

OK I know Sulamita will beat me up for this but it's 3AM on a Saturday and I'm sure a little cynisim will be tolerated ...

... so having said that dear Arpa, I don't know about God but there is some multimedia content available on His Son and the ladies here may be delighted to learn that He is looking for someone to date. smile.gif

#52 Guest_GOD_*

Guest_GOD_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2005 - 03:32 AM

Hmmmm

Arpa i'm going to see you soon, fase to fase, no need for video or audio

Sip i'll see you in 59 years

#53 Sip

Sip

Buffet Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,366 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 03:39 AM

Astvats jan, I can see your IP address notworthy.gif

#54 Harut

Harut

Վերնագիր

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,734 posts
  • Interests:uninterested...

Posted 23 January 2005 - 03:41 AM

QUOTE (Sip @ Jan 23 2005, 01:39 AM)

it must be 127.0.0.1

#55 Guest_GOD_*

Guest_GOD_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2005 - 03:46 AM

QUOTE (Sip @ Jan 23 2005, 03:39 AM)

50 years Sip + From now on your not only going to risqué the china Man - but also gave them CPR !!!

#56 Guest_GOD_*

Guest_GOD_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2005 - 03:48 AM

QUOTE (Harut @ Jan 23 2005, 03:41 AM)
it must be 127.0.0.1

i will see you in 277 years

#57 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (anoushik @ Jan 22 2005, 03:10 AM)
Oops, I forgot to give the link. Here it is: http://www.cwg.org/
I just googled his name smile.gif

Thank you Anoushik, I browsed the site. According to the website he heard voices in his mind and put down notes. While I may not believe in him doing it 100% I am sure it is possible in general to hear voices without sound vibrations in the air, because many others have had similar experiences.

The fact that he sold books and made a lot of money (probably, I don't know how much) is not actually bad. In my opinion he has done a good thing overall - wrote a book about God that has inspired many people. Many people write books on various subjects and make money, if that is normal and acceptable then this should also be so.

One thing that raises a question to me is that the way God started to talk to him is unusual. Normally God speaks with people who have practiced prayer and meditation for a long time. But in his case he just wrote an angry note and God answered in a gentle voice. Sure, God's grace does not know any standards and God may answer to angry people too, so that would be possible, it's just unusual.

#58 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (Sip @ Jan 23 2005, 04:07 AM)
OK I know Sulamita will beat me up for this but it's 3AM on a Saturday and I'm sure a little cynisim will be tolerated ...

... so having said that dear Arpa, I don't know about God but there is some multimedia content available on His Son and the ladies here may be delighted to learn that He is looking for someone to datesmile.gif

If I was not a believer of God I would not waste my time on anything that had to do with the subject. I am puzzled to see cynical and sometimes even hostile attitudes displayed to topics related to God.

Sip, would you care explain the inner workings of your mind? What makes you to be cynical about things that you don't believe? Why talk about things that are not real to you?

#59 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 23 January 2005 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (Sasun @ Jan 23 2005, 08:44 AM)
One thing that raises a question to me is that the way God started to talk to him is unusual. Normally God speaks with people who have practiced prayer and meditation for a long time. But in his case he just wrote an angry note and God answered in a gentle voice. Sure, God's grace does not know any standards and God may answer to angry people too, so that would be possible, it's  just unusual.

You actually believe that God talked to him? Or there is a possibility that God could have talked to him? How can you believe that God it sitting around up there somewhere and waiting for people to just beg to Him before He pleases Himself by answering some of those poor people? It's inconceivable to me.

#60 Sasun

Sasun

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE (anoushik @ Jan 23 2005, 02:38 PM)
You actually believe that God talked to him? Or there is a possibility that God could have talked to him? How can you believe that God it sitting around up there somewhere and waiting for people to just beg to Him before He pleases Himself by answering some of those poor people? It's inconceivable to me.

People who have spoken to God say that God talks to us all the time, its us that cannot hear him, because we are not tuned. To listen to God means to be able to catch very fine vibrations. That attunement can be achieved through prayer and meditation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users