Does "honor killings" occur among Armenians?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2000 - 12:30 AM

Do any of you know what this term means?

It is practiced mainly among Muslims in the Middle East and Pakistan. This killing is usually committed by a girl's brother or father when it is assumed that the girl has been "defiled" or that family honor was disgraced by a presumed "defilement."

Rape victims have often been killed by family members to cleanse the family honor of this "shame and stain." Sometimes, the rapists also happened to be from the same family! Free lovers have also been victims. Some immigrant Muslims in the West occasionally commit "honor killings" when a Muslim female is dating a non-Muslim male. Sometimes, it can be as ludicrous as when a boy dedicates a love song over the radio to a girl, and the girl's brother responds by killing her for that! This happened in a Kurdish village of eastern Turkey a couple of months ago. Such savagery!

Now, do Armenians commit this also? I heard that even Christians in Arabic nations occasionally commit it? I wouldn't be surprised.

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2000 - 12:36 AM

Yes.

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2000 - 12:39 AM

Rape victims should not be judge by court, nor they should be killed.

They should be tortured badly, for months. Slowly dying from pain!!!!!

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2000 - 12:45 AM

Artur??????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2000 - 12:49 AM

Think about it! Put yourself in the same place as father or a brother of a girl, who has always been very good girl. What would you do? Would you think about going to court or you would take all convictions from him, and judge it by yourself? What can the judge decide? 10 years, 15? 20?

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2000 - 12:54 AM

You should kill the rapist, not the girl. Too many of our people have experienced the horrors of rape throughout our history. I would never reject or abandon a girl if it happened. Let's be a bit more sensitive and not like those Muslim savagery?

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2000 - 01:09 PM

Personally, i wouldn't kill my sister for one guy dedicating her a loce song on radio, but i would be the shit our of guy and punish her very tough for that!!! so, she learns a lesson!!!! When the rapes comminted, women are regarded to be a part of that, thus there is a shame on woman as well! I don't think that killing a girl is common though, but there will be a big shame on the family and on they'll put a big shame on the girl as well.

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2000 - 02:26 PM

True story,

In the city where I come from was an incident long time ago during 1960s. A guy through a lie slept with a girl, and then refused to marry her. The girls dad killed that guy, when he found out and went to jail for 7 years.

I have heard a lot that people claim they would do the same thing, but that is the only true story I heard from my parents and it happened long time ago.

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2000 - 02:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Artur:
Rape victims should not be judge by court, nor they should be killed.
They should be tortured badly, for months. Slowly dying from pain!!!!!

You must be talking about the rapist and not the person getting raped.

quote:
Originally posted by Artur:
When the rapes comminted, women are regarded to be a part of that, thus there is a shame on woman as well!

C'mon Artur, you're not serious are you? By definition, "rape" is sex against a woman's will.

If I'm walking down the street and you shoot me, is there shame on me?

[This message has been edited by Pilafhead (edited November 30, 2000).]

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2000 - 04:42 PM

To Artur everyday is the year 1000! I am amazed you could even have the nerve to put the blame of rape on the woman. To me such a mentality is more in line with Anatolian Turks or Kurds who are Moslems, rather than Christian Armenians. Do you just say these things to get a stir out of people?

#11 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2000 - 05:18 PM

I onley say the things that every God-fearing Armenian should beleive!

A

#12 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2000 - 05:20 PM

If there is a place that honour killing take place it is caucasus, and also Balkan (also blood wreck is very common among the Serbians).

A True story: 3 years ago, an Armenian Iranian businessman at the street in Yerevan made comments about a young woman, said something like, wow what a cutie etc... her husband being a policeman at street saw that and shot the businessman dead. The Armenian court sentenced the man to 7 years prison, however some hardline Molla's in Iran said that the policeman was right and shouldn't be sentenced

#13 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2000 - 05:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Iranyar:
If there is a place that honour killing take place it is caucasus, and also Balkan (also blood wreck is very common among the Serbians).

A True story: 3 years ago, an Armenian Iranian businessman at the street in Yerevan made comments about a young woman, said something like, wow what a cutie etc... her husband being a policeman at street saw that and shot the businessman dead. The Armenian court sentenced the man to 7 years prison, however some hardline Molla's in Iran said that the policeman was right and shouldn't be sentenced

Also Georgians know honour murder, I've heared that among the Shavi Xalxi (uneducated rural people) killings happens, when the family don't like the marriage partner. (Georgian/chechen tradition is , that the Girl is Kidnapped by the boy and his friends, and they go in the mountains, after then they go to the byy's aunt's house. The husband of aunt goes to the girl''s father and says our boy has stolen your girl, the father of the girl usually say: oh my God the family honor!Your boy should marry our girl.But sometimes the family of the girl don't like the guy at all, and it'll get out of hand, especially when the girl has a brother . (this tradition is now only among the mountaineous villages of Georgia, other Georgians don't have this traditions anymore).

#14 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2000 - 07:36 PM

The girl shouldn't be walking down the street at night. Rapes may happen because the girl knew those guys, but she shouldn't know anyone. That is why the rape is partly a woman's fault. Girl is totally inocent in most of the situations though, however there are ties that a girl can have some responsibility.

Think of american society, you should punish girls very tough, because the rapes happen because she went to some disco and came late, because she hang out with bad boys!

AA

#15 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2000 - 07:38 PM

Pilaf, sorry, my mistake. What i meant is the person who raped the girl

#16 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2000 - 12:04 AM

Alright, here I go again with my psychobabble, but I have to say this or I'll have a heart attack right now, I swear it.

Artur, amot kez, hazar amot! Ko nmanneri pattsarova vor en im imatsats axchike kievyanni mostits ktsets iran...amot kez. I can honestly say I've never been that affected by anything you've said. I suggest you go take a long hard look at yourself and ask yourself "is this who I want to be? Amot kez.

Now a few facts about rape. Rape isn't about the woman at all. It's about the man. Let me explain. I've read my fill of books on this, so I feel I have some authority on the subject. RAPE IS ABOUT CONTROL, plain and simple. It's not about alcohol, it's not about what the woman's wearing, it's not about how attractive she is, it's not about any of that. It's about control. Now obviously rapists are not normal people. They have severe psychological dysfunctions. Some of those dysfunctions stem from traumatic events in their childhood, traumatic experiences with women, etc etc. Most rapists have a "type" they go after; she's probably someone who reminds them of a woman in their life that they have extreme anger towards : their mother, their ex wife, whatever.

Anyway, I think I'm going to stop now, I want to stick to hard facts.

Bottom line: women are not to blame for being victims of rape.

#17 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2000 - 12:22 AM

::)))))
My mother Gayane, put a shame on me. :)

No comments :)

Gayane, what about this situation:

A girl goes out to party with some lets say class mates. They get all drunk, guys went crazy, they rapes the girl, she then became pregnant. What would be a reaction? First you badly kill the guys, second? Is the girl totally inocent??? I think in this situation girl deserves slightly less punishment than those guys.

P.S. Ter Astvadz save our families from these horrors.

#18 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2000 - 12:30 AM

Look. Rape, by definition, can't be consentual. If she consented, she's still not to blame, just responsible. If she didn't consent, she carries no blame, and no responsibility

#19 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2000 - 01:52 PM

I don't think that it is important to descover a correct definition of rape here. look at my example...

AA

#20 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2000 - 02:01 PM

Artur,

When I read your post I coulnt beleive what I was seeing. So I didn't reply at first because I thought it was some sort of a bad joke.

I know some of your veiws are less than liberal but you can't honestly beleive rape is a woman's fault? If someone attacks you in the street is it your fault ? Of course not, and this is exaclty the same thing and orse because not only is the man using the physical strentgh they have over women , but the physcological power. MANY rape victims knew the attacker, It is not always about what she was wearing where she went and who she went wiht. That is sometimes a small factor but not really the point. MANY times it was just a woman walking home in a jumper and jeans in the afternoon! Al that shame on the girl is the cultural shit that men dictate because they are the ones at fault so they dump the baggage on the woman.

It is never the woman's fault. What part of "no" doesnt the guy understand?

I hope for you sake you haven't repeated the things you just said outside of this forum because to be honest I don't think they would be readily tolerated somewhere else!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users