• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 man

man

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

Seeing the mindset of the youth, who will take over the affairs in the future, could we predict the future-outcome ? One thing is clear that the Azeris are still being taught that Artsakh is part of Azerbaijan, so this conflict will not have a solution in the future and will remain the same!

In Azerbaijan and Armenia, the confusion of a forgotten youth
By William Elmassian
In La Monde, of France
En Azerbaïdjan et en Arménie, le désarroi d'une jeunesse oubliée
Translation is by "google translate engine" it's not always accurate and expect lots of mistakes and irregularities

Between Azerbaijan and Armenia in conflict for a quarter century over Nagorno -Karabakh , the situation remains extremely tense and incidents are frequent on the " front line " . Youth from abroad look at it. Testimony .

In Azerbaijan, where individual freedoms are restricted , the repression has increased with the approach of the presidential election October 9 2013.Ilham Aliyev , president since October 2003, has inherited this position after the withdrawal of his father and does not hear abandon . Sitting on the terrace of a cafe, three friends recount their complaints anonymously , asking to be designated as a "youth group " . "The authorities have become extremely sensitive and aggressive , " they warn .

WIDESPREAD CORRUPTION

One of them tells his return to Baku after studying in Europe: "Since I got back , I do not find me a job to meet my needs . I think the authorities wary of young people who have studied abroad : they say having seen democracy work , we will claim it here . all beautiful monuments and Mercedes you see are only a facade Azerbaijan is completely riddled with corruption , lack of freedom and justice , which prevents the majority of citizens live with dignity. "

In Armenia , however , where President Serge Sarkisian elected 2008, was reappointed in February , freedom expression allows young people to criticize the "minimal democracy " that prevails. The expression is Varsik , a 25 year old student native of Gyumri , the second largest city after the capital , Yerevan . She complained , too, corruption and electoral fraud. "I know a lot of people that the president's party came canvass ; 5000ou 10000drams [ about 10 or 20 euros ] against vote. And to intimidate the numbers of their identity papers are identified. And it works . This is clearly seen in each result. Not to mention the non- indelible ink to dab some election cards... When I went to redo my passport and I asked the price , it was naturally said: " It is 1000 drams and another ticket in 1000 slipped into the old passport . " It is absurd , but still rooted in our culture. The change
seems to be for tomorrow and many young people prefer to leave. "

THE EXODUS OF YOUTH

The exodus of large-scale , is a central concern. "Being a young Armenian today is from want " , says Arman, medical student at the University of Yerevan , which is preparing itself leave the country. Like most of his countrymen, he does not believe
political change in Armenia. Nare , one of her friends, adds: " We have the right to say anything , but nobody listens to us
ever ! "

The young people of Karabagh also leave mainly to Russia, because jobs are scarce . However, in rural areas of Nagorno-Karabakh , a largely Young eventually return . As Sassoul : 34 years , he worked in Russia with enough money to open a
garage in his hometown . " Before, I had a tractor I rented to farmers , but no money , so no payroll. I had to go to Russia to work in a factory , " he says , sitting on the edge of the sofa. Above the station TV , the picture of the brother Sassoul dead " for Karabakh " in In 2005 , eleven years after the cease -fire . " The problem here is that no work and no money but my family is here , my land is there. This may be a mistake but I will remain as possible. "

In a Yerevan park, a young 22 year old Armenian takes the sun . She is called Ani , same as the ancient capital of Armenia, the "city the thousand and one churches ". The identity of the Armenian youth has built in culture a millennium memory , transmitted from generation to generation. "Obviously, being Armenian is a pride. How could it be otherwise? Our country is one of the oldest the world. "

THE LOVE OF COUNTRY

In Azerbaijan , the three friends bakinois ( the " youth group " ) are madly proud , too, of their country despite their aversion
for the regime of President Aliyev : "Azerbaijan is not Paradise and those who claim to have never seen anything but
I'm still proud to be Azerbaijani . Our people are good people as welcoming as tolerant, it is our system that is discard. However, I do not see myself living anywhere else . It leaves me not at liberty to do so, but I want to help Azerbaijan to
develop. I love this country . We deserve so much better. "

This love of country is unanimous , even away from Baku , where money Oil does not happen. Behruz young man of 32 years who supports power up, sees Azerbaijan as the only place on land where he could live . "The country is growing every day. That I ask? In Azerbaijan , we respect the traditions , we respect our elders while looking ahead still further, "
he analysis by drinking his tea. " We are proud of our country because we are a great nation, even if other countries are sometimes unfair to us. "

In Baku , Teymur young lawyer also supporting President Aliyev touts his country : "Later, I want to go live
abroad, but always work for Azerbaijan and help become better known in the world. My country is too
unknown , while , for example, we are the first in the world to giving the right to vote to women in 1918. "

However, it recognizes that the development of Azerbaijan still hampered by blockages : " All is not perfect, the
salaries are still too low , but we are a young country , independent for just twenty years. We have already succeeded in
achieve many good things despite the considerable dispute we have with Armenia, which occupies 20 % of our territory [Artsakh and  surrounding lands never were Azeri territory, some Azeris lived in Armenian territory of Artsakh along with Armenians and that does not make it Azeri land, still Azerbaijan occupies 15% of Armenian land]. There was more than one million [Azers] displaced and more than 15 % of the national budget there is assigned for them. Obviously, this hinders our development. " [and there were almost half millions Armenians who were displaced from Baku and surrounding towns & cities with thousand slaughtered by Azeris]

His voice changes when he addresses the issue of Nagorno -Karabakh . "Obviously , I wish a peaceful resolution of the conflict. The President Aliyev always said that our military can resume our territory, but need to focus on solution
diplomatic . He's right. I do not expect war. We already had for four years , that's enough ! Violence , the chaos economic . But we can not accept the occupation of our territory. The largest in the world must help us . How long will you wait? " Teymur continues his argument by question: " Legally, this territory is to us one . How such occupation is it possible today? " [Armenia&Artsakh is one, not other way around]

Sevan Karian , Parisian lawyer of 28 years , an active player in the diaspora Armenian attempts an answer: " Legally, there are two non- human hierarchical opposed . On the one hand , the right to self-determination peoples , and the other the right to territorial integrity. In my understaning, in this case , the first has more strength, given the weak foundation upon which this so-called membership territorial . But the neighbor [the Azers] did not acept it that way. "

VOLUNTEERS FIGHTING

In Azerbaijan, there are few who think a peaceful exit conflict, but the three friends remain hopeful : "As long as the same
leaders are in power , nothing will change. However, our two people are very close to one another in many areas . it
Twenty years ago , we cohabitions smoothly. There was even intermarriage. We need our two peoples will find the
to " re-meet " without the politicians of the world whole involved in the discussion , each with its interests personal . Armenians also have a long history , and we must respect their history like ours. We will not be moved
our country anyway , so this is the mutual respect that comes the salvation of the South Caucasus . "

In Yerevan , the Armenian girl Ani , who has not experienced war or Azerbaijanis never met , do not want the situation
change: " The Nagorno-Karabakh is our territory , and if we were their give an inch , I would go myself to war . it is
our history , we do not mess with ! I 've never met but I have a very bad opinion of Azerbaijanis . They are aggressive and
provocative . If one day I were to meet one, I think I kill him , so I prefer to avoid ... "

Nagorno-Karabakh , the memories are still too vivid to imagine reopening of borders. Everyone fears the war while there
preparing . "We all live in our land and that's fine , says Sassoul . I do not need any more " , however warns " . The
next time they come to attack us , we will go to Baku "If one day the conflict restarts, many young people will
probably volunteered to fight . As Souren , who wants to leave to Russia " never to return " , but that changes when speech
we talk about a possible resumption of hostilities. This hypothesis the leaves long silent. His jaw tightens. Behind him,
the living room curtains dancing in the wind. Then, after a long time, he asserts : " I will return to fight by obligation. . "

William Elmassian ( World Academy )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users