Boghos

-= Mr Nobility =-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts
  • Interests:literature, cinema, chess, history

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:49 AM

"America deserves a leader who speaks truthfully
about the Armenian Genocide and responds forcefully to all genocides. I intend to be that President."

-- Barack Obama, Democratic Presidential Candidate

#2 Yervant1

Yervant1

The True North!

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,686 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:18 AM

It's not what they say before elections, it's what they say and do after winning the election.
Most of the elected presidents said favourable things regarding the AG before elections, where are they now? They are busy indirectly denying it.

#3 websolutions

websolutions

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (Yervant1 @ Jan 21 2008, 10:18 AM)
It's not what they say before elections, it's what they say and do after winning the election.
Most of the elected presidents said favourable things regarding the AG before elections, where are they now? They are busy indirectly denying it.

I agree, these guys would sell their moms for the moola.

#4 AVO

AVO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:15 PM

Usually they say things, that are full of half truths

George W. Bush for President
February 19, 2000

Mr. Edgar Hagopian
Mr. Vasken Setrakian

Dear Edgar and Vasken,

Thank you for your inquiry to my campaign regarding issues of concern to Armenian Americans.

The twentieth century was marred by wars of unimaginable brutality, mass murder and genocide. History records that the Armenians were the first people of the last century to have endured these cruelties. The Armenians were subjected to a genocidal campaign that defies comprehension and commands all decent people to remember and acknowledge the facts and lessons of an awful crime in a century of bloody crimes against humanity. If elected President, I would ensure that our nation properly recognizes the tragic suffering of the Armenian people.

The Armenian diaspora and the emergence of an independent Republic of Armenia stand as a testament to the resiliency of the Armenian people. In this new century, the United States must actively support the independence of all the nations of the Caucasus by promising the peaceful settlement of regional disputes and the economic development of the region. American assistance to Armenia to encourage the development of democracy, the rule of law and a tolerant open society is vital. It has my full support.

I am encouraged by recent discussions between the governments of Armenia and Azerbaijan. The United States should work actively to promote peace in the region and should be willing to serve as a mediator. But ultimately peace must be negotiated and sustained by the parties involved. Lasting peace can come only from agreements they judge to be in their best interests.

I appreciate the tremendous contribution of the Armenian community to the United States. The Armenian community has been and will continue to be a model of dedication to values of faith and family.

Sincerely,

[signed]
George W. Bush

#5 phantom22

phantom22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:47 PM

Hillary Clinton has already told a bunch of Turkish diplomats that they should lobby harder to counter the Armenian lobby in the US. McCain has always been truthful, that he does NOT support Armenian Genocide acknowledgement. Romney was Governor of Massachusetts, a state filled with Armenian-Americans and he never gave Armenians the time of day. Huckabee is fading fast as is Guiliani. Our best bets are Edwards, who is not doing well, or Obama who had the guts to speak up about the Armenian Genocide in Baku. We really don't now what will happen after the election, but given what has already transpired certain things we can be sure about. Madeline Albright is really tight with Hillary and we know where she stands.

i
QUOTE (Yervant1 @ Jan 21 2008, 10:18 AM)

#6 AVO

AVO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:11 PM

Here is Obama

Barack Obama on the Importance of US-Armenia Relations
| January 19, 2008

I am proud of my strong record on issues of concern to the one and a half million Americans of Armenian heritage in the United States. I warmly welcome the support of this vibrant and politically active community as we change how our government works here at home, and restore American leadership abroad.

I am a strong supporter of a U.S.-Armenian relationship that advances our common security and strengthens Armenian democracy. As President, I will maintain our assistance to Armenia, which has been a reliable partner in the fight against terrorism and extremism. I will promote Armenian security by seeking an end to the Turkish and Azerbaijani blockades, and by working for a lasting and durable settlement of the Nagorno Karabagh conflict that is agreeable to all parties, and based upon America's founding commitment to the principles of democracy and self determination. And my Administration will help foster Armenia's growth and development through expanded trade and targeted aid, and by strengthening the commercial, political, military, developmental, and cultural relationships between the U.S. and Armenian governments.

I also share with Armenian Americans – so many of whom are descended from genocide survivors - a principled commitment to commemorating and ending genocide. That starts with acknowledging the tragic instances of genocide in world history. As a U.S. Senator, I have stood with the Armenian American community in calling for Turkey's acknowledgement of the Armenian Genocide. Two years ago, I criticized the Secretary of State for the firing of U.S. Ambassador to Armenia, John Evans, after he properly used the term "genocide" to describe Turkey's slaughter of thousands of Armenians starting in 1915. I shared with Secretary Rice my firmly held conviction that the Armenian Genocide is not an allegation, a personal opinion, or a point of view, but rather a widely documented fact supported by an overwhelming body of historical evidence. The facts are undeniable. An official policy that calls on diplomats to distort the historical facts is an untenable policy. As a senator, I strongly support passage of the Armenian Genocide Resolution (H.Res.106 and S.Res.106), and as President I will recognize the Armenian Genocide.

Genocide, sadly, persists to this day, and threatens our common security and common humanity. Tragically, we are witnessing in Sudan many of the same brutal tactics - displacement, starvation, and mass slaughter - that were used by the Ottoman authorities against defenseless Armenians back in 1915. I have visited Darfurian refugee camps, pushed for the deployment of a robust multinational force for Darfur, and urged divestment from companies doing business in Sudan. America deserves a leader who speaks truthfully about the Armenian Genocide and responds forcefully to all genocides. I intend to be that President.

I look forward, as President, to continuing my active engagement with Armenian American leaders on the full range of issues of concern to the Armenian American community. Together, we will build, in new and exciting ways, upon the enduring ties and shared values that have bound together the American and Armenian peoples for more than a century.

http://www.barackoba..._importance.php

#7 phantom22

phantom22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:52 PM

Only a very astute politician would be aware of the true number of Armenian-Americans in the US.

He understands that many Petersons and Davidsons were originally Bedrosians and Tavitians.
Ditto Garrys (Garabedian), etc., etc., etc. These folks usually go to odar Catholic and Protestant churches.

No one ever realizes that I am Armenian until I startle them by speaking Armenian on the phone. Yerevantzis talked between each other in Armenian how they were going to bargain with me to reduce the price of an item they wanted, never realizing that I am Armenian. I can usually understand that dialect.

QUOTE (AVO @ Jan 21 2008, 03:11 PM)

#8 phantom22

phantom22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:07 PM

Also, there are numbers of Americans, prominent and not so prominent, who are the product of marriages between Armenians and members of the Jewish faith, who are considered for polling purposes to be solely Jewish.

#9 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • Interests:Anything and Everything

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:49 PM

ANCA endorses Obama in Democratic Primary

The Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA) endorsed Barack Obama as the Democratic candidate best positioned to bring fundamental change to how the United States addresses issues of special concern to Armenian American voters.

"The Armenian National Committee of America is proud today to endorse Barack Obama for the Democratic nomination for President of the United States," said ANCA Chairman Ken Hachikian. "Based on his strong record in office, his bold statements as a candidate, and our judgment as to the policies he will pursue as President, we believe that, among a strong field of Democratic candidates, Senator Obama will best reflect the views and values of Armenian American voters."

The official announcement came during a press conference held at the ANCA Western Region headquarters, featuring remarks by Obama supporters, Representative Adam Schiff (D-CA) and L.A. City Council President Eric Garcetti as well as ANCA National Board Member Raffi Hamparian and Armenians for Obama Chairwoman Nora Hovsepian.

In a powerful statement, issued on January 20th, Senator Obama voiced his strong support for passage of the Armenian Genocide Resolution (H.Res.106 & S.Res.106) currently before Congress, and pledged that, as President, he will recognize the Armenian
Genocide.

The Presidential hopeful also reaffirmed his support for a strong "U.S.-Armenian relationship that advances our common security and strengthens Armenian democracy." Unlike other Democratic candidates, he also pledged to "promote Armenian security by seeking an end to the Turkish and Azerbaijani blockades, and by working for a lasting and durable settlement of the Nagorno Karabakh conflict that is agreeable to all parties, and based upon America's founding commitment to the principles of democracy and self determination."

Public Radio of Armenia

#10 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:38 PM

Rep. Schiff and Councilman Garcetti join Armenian American Community Leaders At ANCA press conference

Some fifty reporters and community leaders gathered at the Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA Western Region headquarters yesterday for a press conference announcing the ANCA endorsement of Sen. Barack Obama in the Democratic Presidential primary.

Speakers at the press conference included Obama supporters, Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA, 29th district), Los Angeles City Council President Eric Garcetti, ANCA National Board member Raffi Hamparian and Armenians for Obama Chairwoman Nora Hovsepian. Each outlined Sen. Obama's proven record and commitment to bringing about meaningful change in U.S. governance and commitment to Armenian American concerns.

"Today, we endorse an individual, a senator, a leader—a purveyor of hope—who can change the tone, tenor, and policies in Washington, DC. We, as an organization, believe that Barack Obama is the individual to get this job done," explained ANCA National Board Member Raffi Hamparian. Hovsepian concurred noting that, "Barack Obama, on the key issues of importance to our community, has adopted very favorable positions. Whether it is recognition of the Armenian Genocide, aid to Armenia, or self-determination and independence for Karabagh, on all of these issues, Barack Obama is with us."

Hamparian and Hovsepian went on to cite Sen. Obama's strong statement on U.S.-Armenia relations, issued on January 19th, where he outlined his strong support for the passage of the Armenian Genocide Resolution currently before Congress and his commitment to promoting Armenia's security "by seeking an end to the Turkish and Azerbaijani blockades."

House Armenian Genocide Resolution lead sponsor, Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA), noting that successive U.S. presidents have reneged on campaign pledges to properly characterize the Armenian Genocide, stated "I think we have in Senator Obama a person of impeccable principle. I am confident that the commitments he makes are the commitments he keeps." In his January 19th statement, Sen. Obama had stated, "As a senator, I strongly support passage of the Armenian Genocide Resolution (H.Res.106 and S.Res.106), and as President I will recognize the Armenian Genocide."

Councilman Garcetti echoed these sentiments, noting that, "His [Sen. Obama's] principles are not just ones that he trots out when it's convenient. It's very easy for someone to say pro-Armenian things in front of an Armenian group, but he [Obama] went to Azerbaijan, where, in Azerbaijan, he said that it was time to end the blockades; and there he also said it was time for Turks to recognize the Genocide. It speaks volumes about the sort of leader he will be, the sort of diplomat he will be, and the sort of president he will be."

Public Radio of Armenia

#11 AVO

AVO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:45 PM

He would get along with Rubo just fine
http://en.wikipedia....Basketball.JPEG

#12 Ashot

Ashot

www.HyeForum.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:26 AM

ANC of Illinois announces endorsements in February 5th Illinois primary

Armenian American voters throughout Illinois are gearing up for the February 5th primary elections. With the recent announcement of the ANCA's endorsement of Illinois Senator Barack Obama for the Presidential Democratic Primary, the ANC of Illinois has also announced their Congressional endorsements of the primary races taking place this Super Tuesday.

"The ANC of Illinois plays a vital role in the Armenian community alerting them of the best Congressional candidates that are favorable in our issues," commented Ari Killian, ANC of Illinois Chairman. "This past Congress we continued to build solid relationships with various members of Congress that has led us to the following endorsements."

Of the 14 northern Congressional districts that the ANC of Illinois oversees, those facing challengers in the February 5th primaries that have been endorsed by the ANCA include: Bobby Rush (D-1), Daniel Lipinski (D-3), Danny Davis (D-7), and Janice Schakowsky (D- 9), all who have been instrumental in promoting the Armenian cause. The ANC of Illinois has also been active in sending out the ANCA Congressional Questionnaire to those candidates facing challengers in the November election as well and will announce endorsements for the November elections in the coming months.

State House Representative Paul Froehlich (D-56) was also endorsed by the ANC of Illinois. Froehlich was instrumental in introducing HB0312 in 2005, legislation mandating the teaching of genocide in Illinois.

Public Radio of Armenia

#13 Aratta-Kingdom

Aratta-Kingdom

www.ArmaniKingdom.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:39 PM

ERDOGAN'S INSULTING WORDS ABOUT OBAMA MAY HAUNT TURKEY AFTER THE ELECTIONS

Armenians can always count on Turkish leaders to make berserk and emotional statements that inadvertently further publicize the issue of the Armenian Genocide.

Last week, when presidential candidates Sen. Barack Obama, Sen. Hillary Clinton, former Sen. John Edwards, as well as Sen. Joe Biden, Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, issued statements reaffirming the Armenian Genocide, Turkish Prime Minister Rejeb Tayyip Erdogan made rude and insulting comments about Sen. Obama, thus attracting further media attention to the Genocide committed by Ottoman Turkey.

Sen. Obama called for Congressional passage of the Armenian Genocide Resolution and pledged that he would recognize the Armenian Genocide, if elected President. He said: "I share with Armenian Americans -- so many of whom are descended from genocide survivors -- a principled commitment to commemorating and ending genocide. That starts with acknowledging the tragic instances of genocide in world history. As a U.S. Senator, I have stood with the Armenian American community in calling for Turkey 's acknowledgment of the Armenian Genocide. Two years ago, I criticized the Secretary of State for the firing of U.S. Ambassador to Armenia, John Evans, after he properly used the term 'genocide' to describe Turkey's slaughter of thousands of Armenians starting in 1915. I shared with Secretary Rice my firmly held conviction that the Armenian Genocide is not an allegation, a personal opinion, or a point of view, but rather a widely documented fact supported by an overwhelming body of historical evidence. The facts are undeniable. An official policy that calls on diplomats to distort the historical facts is an untenable policy. As a senator, I strongly support passage of the Armenian Genocide Resolution (H.Res.106 and S.Res.106), and as President I will recognize the Armenian Genocide."

Sen. Obama also pledged to maintain U.S. assistance to Armenia, strengthen its democracy, seek an end to the Turkish and Azerbaijani blockades, work for a lasting and durable settlement of the Artsakh (Nagorno Karabagh) conflict, promote growth and development through expanded trade and targeted aid, and strengthen the commercial, political, military, developmental, and cultural relationships between the U.S. and Armenian governments.

Sen. Joe Biden, who until recently was a presidential candidate, followed suit by officially announcing his support for the Congressional reaffirmation of the Armenian Genocide. He thus became the 34th Senator to cosponsor the Genocide Resolution. Sen. Biden is a longtime supporter of U.S. recognition of the Armenian Genocide and many other Armenian issues.

Sen. Hillary followed by issuing her own statement supporting the adoption of the Congressional Resolution on the Armenian Genocide and pledging to recognize it, if elected President. She said: "Alone among the Presidential candidates, I have been a longstanding supporter of the Armenian Genocide Resolution. I have been a co-sponsor of the Resolution since 2002, and I support adoption of this legislation by both Houses of Congress. I believe the horrible events perpetrated by the Ottoman Empire against Armenians constitute a clear case of genocide. I have twice written to President Bush calling on him to refer to the Armenian Genocide in his annual commemorative statement and, as President, I will recognize the Armenian Genocide. Our common morality and our nation's credibility as a voice for human rights challenge us to ensure that the Armenian Genocide be recognized and remembered by the Congress and the President of the United States."

Sen. Clinton also said that she valued her friendship with the vibrant Armenian American community: "This is in keeping with my dedication to the causes of the Armenian American community over many years. I was privileged as First Lady to speak at the first-ever White House gathering in 1994 for leaders from Armenia and the Armenian American community to celebrate the historic occasion of Armenia ’s reborn independence. I will, as President, work to expand and improve U.S.-Armenia relations in addressing the common issues facing our two nations: increasing trade, fostering closer economic ties, fighting terrorism, strengthening democratic institutions, pursuing our military partnership and deepening cooperation with NATO, and cooperating on regional concerns, among them a fair and democratic resolution of the Nagorno-Karabagh conflict. As President, I will expand U.S. assistance programs to Armenia and to the people of Nagorno-Karabagh."

Finally, presidential candidate John Edwards issued his own very supportive statement: "I am proud of my record in the U.S. Senate fighting hard for the concerns of our nation's one and a half million Americans of Armenian heritage. In the Senate, I stood against threats to Armenia ’s security, including the blockades it continues to endure. As President, I will prioritize our special relationship with Armenia and the goal of a lasting peace to Nagorno Karabagh and the entire region. I strongly believe that the United States must stand for telling the truth about all genocides. I support the Congressional resolution declaring the massacre of 1.5 million Armenians by the Ottoman Empire in 1915 a genocide. We must also continue to strengthen our relationship with Turkey , an important democratic ally against the forces of tyranny in the region. The resolution should therefore be integrated with a comprehensive diplomatic effort to make sure that our friends in Turkey today understand that the resolution is not aimed at them but instead at atrocities committed almost a century ago by the Ottoman Empire ."

The Armenian American community naturally welcomes all four statements. However, given the long chain of not kept promises by previous presidential candidates, Armenians should not judge these candidates by the above statements alone. They should evaluate the candidates' long-standing commitment to Armenian American issues and be suspicious of opportunistic statements made on the eve of the decisive upcoming primary elections. The Armenian American community should also judge these candidates by their circle of close advisors. If that core group includes individuals that have been antagonistic to Armenian issues in the past, there is a good chance that the next president would be dissuaded from carrying out his or her promises after the election.

Despite the distinct possibility that the statements issued last week may be useless after the election, they have already had a very positive effect on propagating the Armenian Cause, thanks to the rude reaction of Prime Minister Erdogan. According to the Turkish press, Prime Minister Erdogan called Sen. Obama "an amateur of politics. A day may come when you will have to choose between 70 million Turkey and two million Armenia.

One has to think carefully before uttering such words. I suggest that he outgrow the amateur period of is political career." It appears that Prime Minister Erdogan is more concerned about numbers than choosing between right and wrong -- truth and lies!

Should Sen. Obama be elected President, he may not look kindly at Turkish Prime Minister's insulting words. Armenians would hope that Erdogan would similarly lash out at all the presidential candidates who have issued similar statements. That way, no matter which candidate gets elected, there would be a backlash on U.S.-Turkish relations, lessening the likelihood that Turkish leaders would get away with blackmailing the White House again in the future!

By Harut Sassounian, Publisher, The California Courier

#14 AVO

AVO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:51 PM

Scarlett Johansson just left me a message and reminded me that Barack Obama was the first candidate of the current presidential hopefuls that promised to recognize the Armenian Genocide and help settle the NKR's status thru self determination and that I should vote for him tomorrow.

#15 Em

Em

Em

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (AVO @ Feb 4 2008, 10:51 AM)
Scarlett Johansson just left me a message and reminded me that Barack Obama was the first candidate of the current presidential hopefuls that promised to recognize the Armenian Genocide and help settle the NKR's status thru self determination and that I should vote for him tomorrow.

Don't you regret not answering the phone? Lol. wink.gif

#16 Takoush

Takoush

Veteran

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (AVO @ Jan 21 2008, 04:11 PM)

The hell with Clinton as she's a wishy washy type and is already against us. The hell with her!

I would Vote OBAMA and so should all Armenians in the right mind and in the right heart!!!!!!!

Edited by Takoush, 04 February 2008 - 07:18 PM.

#17 AVO

AVO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (Em124 @ Feb 4 2008, 01:00 PM)
Don't you regret not answering the phone? Lol. wink.gif

I'v been calling back the whole day. I hope to see her tomorrow.

by the way I was joking about the Armenian part.

#18 hyethga

hyethga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:25 PM

Barack Obama Calls For Passage Of Armenian Genocide Resolution

Yeah, so did Bush. so did Kerry. so did Clinton, so did Bush Sr., և այլն, և այլն.

Barack Obama is going to have a cabinet that is going to be scaring the s___ out of him whenever Turkey and genocide are used in the same sentence. They're going to start reminding him about Iraq (we'll still be there 1 year, 5 years from now, don't worry) and use the factually dubious fact of how "80% of US air cargo flows in from Turkey" and every other trick in the book.

Edited by hyethga, 04 February 2008 - 10:26 PM.

#19 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE (AVO @ Feb 4 2008, 10:51 AM)

You know, when I first read your message earlier today the thought crossed my mind that you must be really popular with some Hollywood stars tongue.gif

Well, and tonight I came home and found that Jack Nicholson left us a message and reminded us to vote for Senator Clinton tomorrow lol.gif

Edited by Anoushik, 04 February 2008 - 10:31 PM.

#20 Anoushik

Anoushik

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts
  • Interests:Armenians, music, philosophy...

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:30 PM

All right, I have to be honest. I thought I was going to vote for Hillary but I think since ANCA has endorsed Obama, it's best for us Armenians to go by what ANCA does. It's always best to be united as a nationality. I will vote for Obama tomorrow. At the end of the year, I'll still vote for either Hillary or Barack Obama, whoever is left in the race.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users