• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hye12345

hye12345

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

Parev! I'm part of the Armenian diaspora and thus speak Western Armenian. However as I don't go to Armenian school my Armenian has never been all that good. I would love it if someone could help me with my language! I have very limited vocabulary and have difficulty translating what I want to say from English to Armenian. If someone could somehow help me improve that would be much appreciated. I feel rather like English is my native language and not Armenian :( If I could either get some advice or talk regularly to someone who speaks both good Armenian and some English I would be a happy soul; thank you!

#2 man

man

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

First made your mind if you want to learn Western or Eastern (spoken in Armenia) Armenian language.

Then start with You-Tube there is lot of Armenian videos posted there, put appropriate words in the search tap of YouTube as pertaining to language.

Follow Armenian children's programs as the language there is easy & simple.

Second, there are some teaching courses of Armenian by some languages companies, just google for search.
Best Wishes!
  • MosJan and hye12345 like this

#3 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

Hi 12345, welcome!!!

We'll be glad to help you as much as we can! :)

Let's start with what you know: does your vocabulary cover everyday things?
  • hye12345 likes this

#4 hye12345

hye12345

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

@man;
Thanks so much for your help. I prefer to strengthen the Armenian I already know so i will work on Western Armenian. I will look into YouTube videos and I do have Armenian channels like shanttv which I will regularly try to listen to. Are there any YouTube channels you recommend in particular? Thanks so much.

#5 hye12345

hye12345

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

@Zartonk;
Thanks as well for your response. I do somewhat have vocabulary covering everyday speech as I speak Armenian with my family. However my grammar is not great and my vocabulary definitely lacks in some places. For instance I slip in English words in my speech or stutter in finding the correct word to explain myself. Also I can't read or write I can only (somewhat) speak. To give you some perspective would it help if I type Armenian with English letters? I'm very grateful for your help!

#6 MosJan

MosJan

Էլի ԼաՎա

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,196 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:08 AM

@Zartonk;
Thanks as well for your response. I do somewhat have vocabulary covering everyday speech as I speak Armenian with my family. However my grammar is not great and my vocabulary definitely lacks in some places. For instance I slip in English words in my speech or stutter in finding the correct word to explain myself. Also I can't read or write I can only (somewhat) speak. To give you some perspective would it help if I type Armenian with English letters? I'm very grateful for your help!

:thumbup:

#7 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

@Zartonk;

Absolutely, type away in English letters! Why don't you start typing a few sentences? I'll try finding you some solid online tutorials as we go.

#8 hye12345

hye12345

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

@Zartonk;
Okay chem kider yete bid haskenas asi payts portsem. Shnoragalem oknootyan et hamar. Hmm oorish inchi masin khoseem..
Oh! Yes oorish hartsoom oonim.. Yes haygagan loorere televisionen chem haskenam. Asi gardsem kanivor (they use jargon?) inch bes Gernam (develop my vocabulary) vor haskenam? Ge neres! Jisht Parere chem kider.. Hajis (feel free to correct me) :(

#9 Zartonk

Zartonk

Magnificent!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:39 AM

Abris! That's very good!

Haygagan televisionneri khntiruh (problem, issue) bazmativ (numerous) ruseren barern en, shat hatook Yerevani barbar (dialect) gkhosin.

Aveli hajogh klini yete YouTubov videoner pndres.

By the way, your family speaks Western Armenian, right?

Meanwhile, here are a few sites to start with. The AGBU program is similar to an actual college program, so you have to worry about enrollment and all that, but it looks pretty good. :)

http://www.101languages.net/armenian/

http://hayeren.hayas...glish/mainr.php

http://www.avc-agbu....ng&lang=en_utf8

Edited by Zartonk, 27 June 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#10 Arpa

Arpa

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,011 posts
  • Interests:Culture

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

@Zartonk;
Okay chem kider yete bid haskenas asi payts portsem. Shnoragalem oknootyan et hamar. Hmm oorish inchi masin khoseem..
Oh! Yes oorish hartsoom oonim.. Yes haygagan loorere televisionen chem haskenam. Asi gardsem kanivor (they use jargon?) inch bes Gernam (develop my vocabulary) vor haskenam? Ge neres! Jisht Parere chem kider.. Hajis (feel free to correct me) :(

Tsav@d Tanem, I feel your pain
After a long and masochistic process I gave up on listening to that disgusting garbage jargon spread by Yerevan broadcasts. Beside the fact that the audiios are so poor, NO, I am not deaf, and I am fluent in both WA and EA vernaculars. They speak with a Russo-furkish intonation and jargon. They speak as if someone is holding a gun to their head to speak as fast as can be.
What is the hurry?
How valuable and expensive is air time in Yerevan?
Are broadcasters and commentators chosen based on how fast they can speak, and how much russki and furko-asszeri they know? Akhber jan, qez ghourban, du es du mer guman?
Is that how American and other broadcasters speak? Are they chosen baaed on how fast they can speak? NO. They are chosen based on their knowledge of literary English, trained in speech and deliberate enunciation.
Americanization of my English was greatly influenced by the way Walter Cronkite Spoke. I would listen to him and audibly repeat every word and phrase he spoke.
Does he speak as if those horsemen of the Apocalypse were chasing him?

Edited by Arpa, 27 June 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#11 hye12345

hye12345

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

@Zartonk;
Yesal adang eskatsi. Ooremen YouTubin vidionere ge nayim. Ayo, endanikes (western armenian) ge khosin. Shat shnoragalootyoon! I bookmarked the first link it looks very promising!
  • MosJan likes this

#12 hye12345

hye12345

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

@Arpa;
Thanks for the laugh that was quite amusing in its righteousness! I also thought they were speaking quickly but assumed it was because I wasn't the most fluent in Armenian. Also, when I went to Armenia I found that I struggled with not only understanding the dialect but also with the Russian words which wound their way into speech.
I'm curious as to how you learnt both Eastern and Western Armenian dialects?

#13 lu.adunc

lu.adunc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:07 AM

Parev! I'm part of the Armenian diaspora and thus speak Western Armenian. However as I don't go to Armenian school my Armenian has never been all that good. I would love it if someone could help me with my language! I have very limited vocabulary and have difficulty translating what I want to say from English to Armenian. If someone could somehow help me improve that would be much appreciated. I feel rather like English is my native language and not Armenian :( If I could either get some advice or talk regularly to someone who speaks both good Armenian and some English I would be a happy soul; thank you!

Hi. I have Armenian education and I'll  help You with language. We can connect to  skype (Lusi Adunc), facebook (https://www.facebook...i.adunc?fref=ts), email (lu.adunc@gmail.com).At the same time I'll improve my English. We can talk about Armenian literature, history, art, culture, music, architecture ets, as I know and informed,  and I'll teach you to read and write Armenian. Now I'm reading very interesting book, wich is called "Chaos" . Author of this book is Shirvanzade, and I can to tell You about this and many other novels too. If you agree, please respond to my letter. Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: language, help, armenian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users