• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 beckyshaw

beckyshaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:50 PM

Arshile Gorky, whos original name was Vostanik Manuk Adoyan Immigrated to America in 1920 to become one of the most influential artists of the 20th century.

You can see his work here; Arshile Gorky

#2 Armat

Armat

A R M A T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:40 PM

Arshile Gorky, whos original name was Vostanik Manuk Adoyan Immigrated to America in 1920 to become one of the most influential artists of the 20th century.

You can see his work here; Arshile Gorky

He has been discussed here many times.I have three books on him.Kind of tragic life he had, sadly.As a typical Genocide survivor he had real hard time facing his identity openly.Lot of anecdotal evidence suggested he pretended to be Russian,Georgian and rarely mentioned Armenian in public.His chosen name says a lot.
I don't blame him.His mother literally died of starvation in Yerevan in his arms.After AG he was a "broken" man.I just wished he left some references, explanations about some of works.
Lot of his works are beyond grasp.Some American critics find lot of sex in his works but I disagree I see more pain and death....
Just a side note when he killed himself he was reading Checkov's "Black Monk"
I read that story because I was curious and its pretty dark,morbid and ending hints his last act.He was dying of cancer and after American wife left him he was very depressed.
Anyway Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users